VOOT Night

Discuss the Virtual-On series.
Schooly D
Virtual-On Positive
Gamertag: Schooly D

VOOT Night

Post by Schooly D »

Thanks to the rookie tournament, we've got a few new people in the fold. But to keep from losing them, I think we need to give them a place to play.

A while ago, someone tossed around the idea of having a weekly VOOT Night, a night of the week when people would be encouraged to get on VOOT to party up with other US players.

Anyone think this is a good idea? What night of the week should it be? I guess I'll vote for Saturday night.
Made in Malaysia by Kurt Russell and Goldie Hawn
MentholMoose
Virtual-On Positive
Gamertag: MentholMoose
PSN: MentholMoose_

Re: VOOT Night

Post by MentholMoose »

It's a good idea. Maybe we can have two nights set up for this.
MentholMoose
Exorcet

Post by Exorcet »

I can probably do Saturday night if it isn't too late (like past 10 PM EST). But my vote shouldn't really count as I'm only on Xbox for a few weeks out of the year.

Perhaps to accommodate as many as possible, if we do have a second day, maybe it should rotate each week?
Schooly D
Virtual-On Positive

Post by Schooly D »

MentholMoose wrote:It's a good idea. Maybe we can have two nights set up for this.
Hm. Maybe. The only problem would be that if we split it into two nights, then we might get less people. Or we might get more due to the better accommodation. I guess the only way to find out is to try. Presumably we could have a weeknight and a weekend-night, with the weeknight starting a bit earlier (since people have work/school in the morning)?
Exorcet wrote:Perhaps to accommodate as many as possible, if we do have a second day, maybe it should rotate each week?
I think this might get a bit complicated. What would happen is the people who aren't always on the forum/in the chat room (i.e. the people we want to get playing) would never know when VOOT Night is, and probably wouldn't bother to find out. If we establish that Night "X" is VOOT Night, and it just becomes common knowledge, then it'd be easier to remember.

Here are my suggestions:
(Wednesday, 8PM Eastern)
Saturday, 9PM Eastern
PhantomPhotonX
Virtual-On Positive

Post by PhantomPhotonX »

I vote for either Friday or Saturday night, because that's when I'm usually on. I'm not on very often on weekdays, and plus I know just how hard it is to stop playing once I've started, which leads to me staying up late and not getting enough sleep for the next day. So if I'm going to be tired as hell, it might as well be on a weekend.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling but in rising every time we fall."
- Confucius
DeepInTheHops
Virtual-On Positive
Gamertag: DaveRudolph

Post by DeepInTheHops »

I vote for 8PM Eastern if we do Sunday or a weekday; that's probably the best compromise between the east coast and west coast. If it goes for a few hours, most people should be able to catch at least part of it I think.

Sundays have worked okay for the tournaments, maybe that's a good day?

I'm pretty busy on Fridays and Saturdays with the hookers and blow and all, but I'm sure I could squeeze in some VOOT time.
Solar*Sonic

Post by Solar*Sonic »

DeepInTheHops wrote:I vote for 8PM Eastern if we do Sunday or a weekday; that's probably the best compromise between the east coast and west coast. If it goes for a few hours, most people should be able to catch at least part of it I think.

Sundays have worked okay for the tournaments, maybe that's a good day?

I'm pretty busy on Fridays and Saturdays with the hookers and blow and all, but I'm sure I could squeeze in some VOOT time.
Im agree, sunday have worked for the tournaments and i think making voot night sunday would work. This Is a great idea, i hope alot of people jump on board with this. I think it would just work very smoothly if every sunday night was voot night leading up a tournament on sunday @ the end of the month and a team tourny sometime in the middle of the month.
DeepInTheHops
Virtual-On Positive

Post by DeepInTheHops »

So... any verdict on this?
neo helbeast
Virtual-On Positive
Gamertag: MechWarrior

Post by neo helbeast »

Starting on monday through friday i will be hosting a room from 9pm EST to 10:30 EST. Feel free to hit me up asking for an invite.
Schooly D
Virtual-On Positive

Post by Schooly D »

neo helbeast wrote:Starting on monday through friday i will be hosting a room from 9pm EST to 10:30 EST. Feel free to hit me up asking for an invite.
If I may object:

If we just declare every night to be VOOT Night, then it kind of loses its importance. People would show up on different days, if at all. Of course I'm not telling you that you can't play VOOT every night, so... ok let's try this.

VOOT Nightz
Wednesdays, 8PM EST

B THR OR B SQR
neo helbeast
Virtual-On Positive

Post by neo helbeast »

Schooly D wrote:
neo helbeast wrote:Starting on monday through friday i will be hosting a room from 9pm EST to 10:30 EST. Feel free to hit me up asking for an invite.
If I may object:

If we just declare every night to be VOOT Night, then it kind of loses its importance. People would show up on different days, if at all. Of course I'm not telling you that you can't play VOOT every night, so... ok let's try this.

VOOT Nightz
Wednesdays, 8PM EST

B THR OR B SQR
My idea was that certain people who cant make it one particular night and can another night wont ever feel left out. It was "oh I cant make tonight but, no worries there's one tomorrow. This also might get the more new players to dip their toes in friendly competition.
Schooly D wrote:B THR OR B SQR
I read this and was like god damned I know I haven't IMed in awhile but what is this. I then spent 2 minutes thinking it had somthing to with BBQ.
Schooly D
Virtual-On Positive

Post by Schooly D »

neo helbeast wrote:My idea was that certain people who cant make it one particular night and can another night wont ever feel left out. It was "oh I cant make tonight but, no worries there's one tomorrow. This also might get the more new players to dip their toes in friendly competition.
Yeah, that's why I suggested having one during a weekend and one during a weekday. My thinking is that the people generally have two sleep/nighttime schedules, one for weekdays and one for weekends. So, by having a weekday and a weekend available then I think most people would be accommodated. Having 5 VOOT Nightz a week would be like having a US-International Tournament once a week: they would lose meaning.

And plus there's the dilution factor. Even if people are free to play every night, they're not gonna want to play every night. They might hop on one night, then hop on again 4 nights later. And if every night is a VOOT Night, then the attendance would get all spread out. By concentrating it to one or two nights a week, it concentrates the attendance, meaning more players online, which means more incentive for others to get on.

So, those would be my arguments for keeping VOOT Nightz to one, possibly two days a week.
neo helbeast wrote:I read this and was like god damned I know I haven't IMed in awhile but what is this. I then spent 2 minutes thinking it had somthing to with BBQ.
It's not IM-speak :P "Be there or be square?"
MentholMoose
Virtual-On Positive
Gamertag: MentholMoose
PSN: MentholMoose_

Post by MentholMoose »

8PM EST is too early for me on weekdays since I usually get home from work around 5:30PM PST. I'll try to get on around 6PM.
MentholMoose
DeepInTheHops
Virtual-On Positive

Post by DeepInTheHops »

MentholMoose wrote:8PM EST is too early for me on weekdays since I usually get home from work around 5:30PM PST. I'll try to get on around 6PM.
I figured 8 PM would be a good time for the EST people to start; I wouldn't expect PST people to show up until later. But we could at least play against each other until the PST people trickle in.
Testament/Seven7
Virtual-On Positive

Post by Testament/Seven7 »

so what do all of these translate to in cst?
Marz First Lt. Testament, Temjin pilot

Xbox live gamertag: Lt Testament
DeepInTheHops
Virtual-On Positive

Post by DeepInTheHops »

Testament/Seven7 wrote:so what do all of these translate to in cst?
CST is one hour behind EST, so 8PM EST = 7PM CST.
Solar*Sonic

Post by Solar*Sonic »

Ok so if wednesday is VOOT Night for the weekday than what is VOOT Night for the weekEnd? I prob wont be available most weekday nights :( Im SQR
FruitieDinosaur

Post by FruitieDinosaur »

So did I miss everyone tonight? :?
VR: Temjin, Fei Yen Kn
neo helbeast
Virtual-On Positive

Post by neo helbeast »

It was Me, medic and DaveRudolph. So no :cry:
Schooly D
Virtual-On Positive

Post by Schooly D »

Yeah, sorry I didn't show up. A school thing came up, then I thought it wasn't going to happen, but then it actually did happen, and I never got around to posting here about it. Very embarrassing. :oops:

Should we try for some time this weekend?