A Certain Magical Virtual-On

Discuss the Virtual-On series.
MentholMoose
Virtual-On Positive
Gamertag: MentholMoose
PSN: MentholMoose_

A Certain Magical Virtual-On

Post by MentholMoose »

Trailer for the new "VO game", for PS4 and Vita.

MentholMoose
Van0079

Re: A Certain Magical Virtual-On

Post by Van0079 »

Game is based on an LN released a year ago, translation is underway here. Apparently it sold better than expected and now Sega's cashing in. I recommend reading what's translated so far, gives us a little insight into piloting a VR, at least in the brief prologue bit.

Honestly, this is making me want to start a translation project for all the VO magazine stories (One Man Rescue, Fragmentary Passage) but I don't know where I can find raws for those.

But uh, yeah, here's hoping there's actual Virtual-On gameplay.
Schooly D
Virtual-On Positive
Gamertag: Schooly D

Post by Schooly D »

I haven't read or seen any of the LN or anime, but I still can't get over how bizarre this crossover seems. Can anyone shed light on what kind of game we could expect? I guess the most optimistic outcome is an OMG/VOOT style 1-on-1 arena mech combat game with VRs piloted by anime characters? And the worst is a dating sim where one of the side games is upgrading a VR you keep in a hangar but never pilot?
Made in Malaysia by Kurt Russell and Goldie Hawn
shamanic_beat
Virtual-On Positive

Post by shamanic_beat »

Here are some basic information taken off the official website
http://virtual-on.sega.jp/topics/201703 ... 2017031301

Release Date: 2018 TBA
Price: TBA
Supported Device: PS4, PSV
Genre: Versus Battle Action
Player Count: TBA (Online supported)
CERO: Not yet rated

Watari is on board of the project. Nothing concrete is said. They are giving their all into making the game, and they'll have something more to show later on.

Looking at Watari's tweets and the official HP, I am under the impression that the game will have hardcore and casual elements among other things. There should be a proper Virtual-On game in there somewhere. For better or worse, I believe the light novel characters' special abilities will play a role in the gameplay.
Schooly D
Virtual-On Positive
Gamertag: Schooly D

Post by Schooly D »

Pessimism fuel: a release on PS Vita is not indicative of a game meant to be played with twin sticks
Made in Malaysia by Kurt Russell and Goldie Hawn
The World - 2.0
Gamertag: MakutaTeridax

Post by The World - 2.0 »

Sorry I'm a little late for boarding the so-called 'Hype Train' just now, but...

If we do end up getting another Virtual-On game(emphasis on "if"), I'll be ecstatic! :D

Off-Topic: How's everybody doing in regards to the Field/Model viewers on Japanese Dreamcast VOOT? I have a couple of updates that I'd like to share with you guys if that's alright. Should I post them on my thread located in the 'Videos/Replays/Memorabilia' section of the forums?
"I am the ultimate being... There is no hope... My hammer of death shall rain down upon you."
-The World ~ Type-β, from House of the Dead 4.

Favorite VRs: VOOT Angelan, Fei-Yen Kn, and Temjin.
Temjin747K
Virtual-On Positive

Post by Temjin747K »

Wow, now this is super-cool news! To think that Sega would actually make a game based on the crossover manga. Judging from the lack of gameplay footage, it must be pretty early on in development. When they release it next year, I wonder how it's gonna play...
MentholMoose
Virtual-On Positive
Gamertag: MentholMoose
PSN: MentholMoose_

Post by MentholMoose »

The World - 2.0 wrote:Off-Topic: How's everybody doing in regards to the Field/Model viewers on Japanese Dreamcast VOOT? I have a couple of updates that I'd like to share with you guys if that's alright. Should I post them on my thread located in the 'Videos/Replays/Memorabilia' section of the forums?
Sure, post it!
MentholMoose
shamanic_beat
Virtual-On Positive

Post by shamanic_beat »

Temjin747K wrote:Wow, now this is super-cool news! To think that Sega would actually make a game based on the crossover manga. Judging from the lack of gameplay footage, it must be pretty early on in development. When they release it next year, I wonder how it's gonna play...
It's actually a crossover novel, not manga.

And they are just starting to hold meetings and taking care of paperwork/contracts and stuff. Below are taken from the development diaries posted by the producer.

Last edited by shamanic_beat on 20 Jun 2017, 19:43, edited 1 time in total.
Temjin747K
Virtual-On Positive

Post by Temjin747K »

Thanks for the correction. Also, I hope they'll come up with a new gameplay engine that's probably just as good as OT, though I myself never played it. Shoot! I should have asked for the Dreamcast version for my birthday this year!
Porcupine
Virtual-On Positive

Post by Porcupine »

A fair bit of information and graphics have been coming out for this game in the last 3 months, maybe someone else can post the screenshots. At any rate, although we still can't be certain if the game will be good, it does seem that it will be a whole new VO game, with modern graphics, and some new VRs, probably playing closest to VOOT based on the appearance of the VRs.

At this point it's probably worth buying a PS4 just for this game.
Porcupine
Virtual-On Positive

Post by Porcupine »

http://gematsu.com/2017/06/certain-magi ... 2018-japan

It is sounding very promising, and now it even looks like there is a chance it is going to be what I'd hoped the next VO game would be: a multiplayer game with more than 2~4 participants in an explorable 3D world, kind of like a FPS game but with VO mechanics. Fei-Yen's pilot is a teleporter and it would make sense to have that kind of ability in such a world, it would help Fei-Yen to run away or hide in small corners.
shamanic_beat
Virtual-On Positive

Post by shamanic_beat »

If the scoring system is set up like the novel version, then the main method of scoring points is to take down the enemy. The novel specifically made comparisons to judo and wrestling with regards to how scoring works.

Knocking down an enemy will score your team a certain amount of points. Blind them and trip them, you score points. You can headshot them or cut them in half, but it would be useless if you don't score any points in the process. You can be penalized and have points deducted from you for being overly passive. Points are tallied up and reset at the end of the round. The winner is determined by best out of three rounds. You can also win by annihilating the enemy team, though the novel makes it sound as though this is an ineffective way to win. Do note this is just how the novel version of the game works, and I have no idea how closely 55.55 will follow any of this. Good job on "stealing downs" by the way, Gematsu.

And Porc, regarding your previous comment, practically nothing was released the last 3 months outside of the official website reboot in March. If you were talking about the twitter stuff, most of the information and artwork released are more along the lines of "hey guys welcome to the world of Virtual-On" rather than things specifically pertaining to 55.55.
Porcupine
Virtual-On Positive

Post by Porcupine »

ImageImage
ImageImage

Somebody took off Angelan's clothes.
Temjin747K
Virtual-On Positive

Post by Temjin747K »

But wait, where is her V-Converter?

Along with that, would this new game be optimized for Twin Stick controls?
shamanic_beat
Virtual-On Positive

Post by shamanic_beat »

The original art from years ago didn't show the V-Converter either.

As for twinsticks, no idea. I don't suppose they'll expect people to plug in a pair of sticks into their Vitas though.
Porcupine
Virtual-On Positive

Post by Porcupine »

I guess it's not a new image, then. What book is that image from? It's possible I have it and I forgot. I like how there is a picture of the underside of her foot. Are there any similar pictures of Fei-Yen without clothes?
shamanic_beat
Virtual-On Positive

Post by shamanic_beat »

This is just a guess, but try 電脳戦機バーチャロン オラトリオ・タングラム「真実の璧」
Temjin747K
Virtual-On Positive

Post by Temjin747K »

@shamanic_beat Why would anybody use a Twin Stick accessory on the Vita? What about on the PS4 version?
ChexGuy
Virtual-On Positive
PSN: TheChexGuy

Post by ChexGuy »

he knows as much as anyone else does why are you asking him lmao
ImageImage