Modded Dreamcast Twin Sticks for Xbox 360 - complete!!!

Discuss VO-related projects (Twin Sticks, etc.)
Testament/Seven7
Virtual-On Positive

Re: Modded Dreamcast Twin Sticks for Xbox 360 - complete!!!

Post by Testament/Seven7 »

MentholMoose wrote:Someone appears to be selling DC Twin Sticks modded for Xbox 360 on Yahoo! Japan Auctions:
http://page10.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/m65992835

The control scheme in the diagram looks pretty wrong, though. The reserve price is about US $250.

And another one:
http://page7.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/g77316209

The control scheme is the close to mine, and the bidding is currently at about $250!!
Why is there an additional button/thing on it? Why is the button configuraton so wacked up? And why is it so dang much!?

Edit: didn't see the second one. It looks nicer with the xbox guide button modded into it, and is worth a higher pricetag for the modding, but again, why so much?
Marz First Lt. Testament, Temjin pilot

Xbox live gamertag: Lt Testament
MentholMoose
Virtual-On Positive
Gamertag: MentholMoose
PSN: MentholMoose_

Post by MentholMoose »

Testament/Seven7 wrote:Why is there an additional button/thing on it? Why is the button configuraton so wacked up? And why is it so dang much!?
The DC Twin Sticks only have 14 buttons total, so there isn't space for all the Xbox 360 buttons. They added the Xbox 360 "guide" button in the middle of the Twin Sticks (IMO it looks horrible, and should be located elsewhere).

EDIT: As for the price, I guess supply and demand!

EDIT2: For the first one, I don't know why they are using a messed up configuration. For the second, $250 is not too bad I guess... Twin Sticks are still close to $100, an Xbox 360 controller could cost up to $30, plus a few bucks more for other parts (wires, connectors, etc.), and $100 for labor (the mod can take several hours).

I wouldn't want the guide button there because it looks out of place (doesn't match the controller at all), and that is where the Start button should be (all the arcade version have Start directly between the sticks). I assume they also put the LEDs there, so it's good if someone really wants to see flashy things.
Last edited by MentholMoose on 29 Mar 2009, 01:37, edited 1 time in total.
MentholMoose
Testament/Seven7
Virtual-On Positive

MentholMoose wrote:
Testament/Seven7 wrote:Why is there an additional button/thing on it? Why is the button configuraton so wacked up? And why is it so dang much!?
The DC Twin Sticks only have 14 buttons total, so there isn't space for all the Xbox 360 buttons. They added the Xbox 360 "guide" button in the middle of the Twin Sticks (IMO it looks horrible, and should be located elsewhere).
that was in relation to the first one, look in the upper-left corner of the twinstick...what is that? a knob of some kind? it dosen't look like the guide button...

Edit: upon closer inspection, it's a guide button, there's also a headset port built in to it.

I guess all that mod work "would" warrant a high price tag...

MentholMoose
Virtual-On Positive

Post by MentholMoose »

Testament/Seven7 wrote:I guess all that mod work "would" warrant a high price tag...
Well there's only one bid and the reserve hasn't been met.

Upon closer inspection of the auction, the sticks apparently map to the Xbox 360 controller analog sticks. Still, AFAIK this scheme doesn't match any configuration in the game.

EDIT: Well, it matches the "standard" configuration, but the left and right analog sticks are used for movement and rotation, respectively. But, it seems truly pointless to mod Twin Sticks for this scheme.
MentholMoose
Testament/Seven7
Virtual-On Positive

MentholMoose wrote:
Testament/Seven7 wrote:I guess all that mod work "would" warrant a high price tag...
Well there's only one bid and the reserve hasn't been met.

Upon closer inspection of the auction, the sticks apparently map to the Xbox 360 controller analog sticks. Still, AFAIK this scheme doesn't match any configuration in the game.

EDIT: Well, it matches the "standard" configuration, but the left and right analog sticks are used for movement and rotation, respectively. But, it seems truly pointless to mod Twin Sticks for this scheme.
and on top of that, if the sticks are mapped to "analog" sticks, and the sticks are digital........how does this work exactly?

MentholMoose
Virtual-On Positive

Post by MentholMoose »

Testament/Seven7 wrote:and on top of that, if the sticks are mapped to "analog" sticks, and the sticks are digital........how does this work exactly?
They should be either full on, or off.
MentholMoose
Knoxximus
Virtual-On Positive

Post by Knoxximus »

Don't even trip Menthol...you got the prototype on LOCK. These foolios probably aren't even VOOT fans/pilots...just opportunistic modders who didn't do their homework.

Quick question though...were on the Mad Catz "arcade" stick is the "L3 and R3" buttons? Is it the button on top of that joystick and maybe the spinner clicks in? I haven't opened mine yet. :oops:
Sergeant Knoxximus, Pilot #24 reporting for duty SIR!!
MentholMoose
Virtual-On Positive

Post by MentholMoose »

Well, at least one of those auctions has it right, and the messed up one might be fine if custom button mapping is in the game. Also, the two modded DC Twin Sticks both just sold for over US $250!! If I was in Japan right now I would be in a frenzy building these things. :lol:

On the MadCatz controller I used, the "L3" and "R3" button are activated when you press down on the left and right analog stick, respectively. I don't know what that button on top of the left stick maps to (probably also L3). See this handy diagram for the solder points:
http://slagcoin.com/joystick/pcb_diagra ... agram2.jpg
MentholMoose
Testament/Seven7
Virtual-On Positive

Hey menthol, one of those 2 auctions has hit a bunch of news sites, and whomever wrote the article origionally (I think insert coin), is peeved that they butchered a DC twinstick.

And now that i think about it, so am i. Thats one less chance of me owning one now...

Not that my odds are good to begin with, but eh *shrugs* I wonder if those people will sell the board from the dc? Hmm...

MentholMoose
Virtual-On Positive

Post by MentholMoose »

Testament/Seven7 wrote:Hey menthol, one of those 2 auctions has hit a bunch of news sites, and whomever wrote the article origionally (I think insert coin), is peeved that they butchered a DC twinstick.

And now that i think about it, so am i. Thats one less chance of me owning one now...
Well, besides the added button and audio jack, the mod could be otherwise reversible (proven by my mod). But, the DC is a dead console, so I can understand some people not caring too much about maintaining the original functionality of the DC Twin Sticks.

People want to play VER.5.66 on Xbox 360 the way it was designed, and there aren't many options right now other than modding Saturn or DC Twin Sticks.
Testament/Seven7 wrote:Not that my odds are good to begin with, but eh *shrugs* I wonder if those people will sell the board from the dc? Hmm...
I don't know, I suppose it could be included in the auction. Keep an eye out for any auctions.
MentholMoose
Testament/Seven7
Virtual-On Positive

MentholMoose wrote:
People want to play VER.5.66 on Xbox 360 the way it was designed, and there aren't many options right now other than modding Saturn or DC Twin Sticks.
What about those 5.2 panels you have? surly others have access to them, or something similar enough no?

For that matter, simply because i'm curious, how many do you have, you mentioned in another thread something about "additional", but did not specify a number. Maybe it's none of my bussiness. Feel free to reply via pm or aim, whichever.

Edit: fixed wording. You also mentioned "spare/variety" parts, again, out of shear curiosity, would that include the joysticks themselves?

Knoxximus
Virtual-On Positive

Post by Knoxximus »

Testament/Seven7 wrote:Hey menthol, one of those 2 auctions has hit a bunch of news sites, and whomever wrote the article origionally (I think insert coin), is peeved that they butchered a DC twinstick.

Not that my odds are good to begin with, but eh *shrugs* I wonder if those people will sell the board from the dc? Hmm...
C'mon, Testament...you can't talk about news sites without posting links, man! :(
MentholMoose
Virtual-On Positive

Post by MentholMoose »

Knoxximus wrote:

C'mon, Testament...you can't talk about news sites without posting links, man! :(
I think it's this insert credit article he's referring to, also added to the "links" thread here.
MentholMoose
MentholMoose
Virtual-On Positive

Post by MentholMoose »

Testament/Seven7 wrote:What about those 5.2 panels you have? surly others have access to them, or something similar enough no?
The VER.5.2 "versus city" panels are rare (as you'd probably expect for long discontinued 10+ year old arcade parts). These were not produced for VER.5.4 or VER.5.66. I've only ever seen two VER.5.2 panels on eBay, both bought by Scott Robinson in a single auction. I've bought one from Yahoo! Japan Auctions, one from some Japanese arcade shop, and one from Arcade Infinity. There are also Virtual-On OMG versus city panels out there, but are even more rare (12+ years old and discontinued).
Testament/Seven7 wrote:For that matter, simply because i'm curious, how many do you have, you mentioned in another thread something about "additional", but did not specify a number. Maybe it's none of my bussiness. Feel free to reply via pm or aim, whichever.

Edit: fixed wording. You also mentioned "spare/variety" parts, again, out of shear curiosity, would that include the joysticks themselves?
As mentioned above I have three used VER.5.2 panels. Two are panel-only, one is installed in my DC arcade Twin Sticks. I also have one complete used VER.5.66 panel. As for spare parts, I have one spare like new complete stick assembly (base unit plus grip), and I'm hoping to find another someday to assemble another set of arcade Twin Sticks (I have one like new HSS-0130 arcade stick that I can use for the housing). Other than that, I have some miscellaneous used and new parts... microswitches, stick shafts, turbo/attack PCBs, and grips.
MentholMoose
MentholMoose
Virtual-On Positive

Post by MentholMoose »

I know how you feel. Back when VO Force was released, many almost new VER.5.66 cabinets were butchered and converted to Force. Many parts (control panels, marquees, seat backs, and ROMs) were ripped off and discarded or sold at fire sale prices (sadly I had severely limited funds at the time, so I could only buy a few parts). VO Force graphics were plastered over the wonderful VER.5.66 graphics. It's sad, but there is little chance of me ever owning an actual VER.5.66 cabinet.
MentholMoose
Testament/Seven7
Virtual-On Positive

MentholMoose wrote:

I know how you feel. Back when VO Force was released, many almost new VER.5.66 cabinets were butchered and converted to Force. Many parts (control panels, marquees, seat backs, and ROMs) were ripped off and discarded or sold at fire sale prices (sadly I had severely limited funds at the time, so I could only buy a few parts). VO Force graphics were plastered over the wonderful VER.5.66 graphics. It's sad, but there is little chance of me ever owning an actual VER.5.66 cabinet.
I was wondering why i could only find pictures, and even then...so few.

Hmm, I remember reading in some thread, I "think" on sega-naomi.com (?) 's forum, I think you had a few posts in it. Anywho, I think someone linked to a website selling ver 5.66, not the cabinet of course, but the rom and a (kit), presumably the kit had a pannel of some kind and the joysticks? Twas $600 though if i remember right, so might not exactly be worth it, but if you want i can hunt the link?

And regarding the parts, i'm actually not too suprised. I guess odds are better for me to get a dc twinstick than for either of us to own either a 5.66 cab or a OMG verses city panel. :P

MentholMoose
Virtual-On Positive

Post by MentholMoose »

Testament/Seven7 wrote:Hmm, I remember reading in some thread, I "think" on sega-naomi.com (?) 's forum, I think you had a few posts in it. Anywho, I think someone linked to a website selling ver 5.66, not the cabinet of course, but the rom and a (kit), presumably the kit had a pannel of some kind and the joysticks? Twas $600 though if i remember right, so might not exactly be worth it, but if you want i can hunt the link?

And regarding the parts, i'm actually not too suprised. I guess odds are better for me to get a dc twinstick than for either of us to own either a 5.66 cab or a OMG verses city panel. :P
I don't recall seeing that link. I did post there a few time to inquire if anyone knew where to obtain the VOOT or Force arcade sticks. I also used that site a lot when I was setting up VER.5.66 for N@OMI.

There was a guy on that forum who at one point installed VER.5.66 into an N@OMI "Universal" cabinet, with an OMG panel. I actually helped him find the ROM and panel (IIRC at the time, the ROM was $200 from Manjiro Works, and the OMG panel was around $100 or so from Cosmic Amusement). Once OMG was re-released for PS2, prices jumped a lot. Several VER.5.66 ROMs have sold on Yahoo! Japan Auctions in the last year for over $400 each. Too bad I passed up on numerous auctions for VER.5.66 ROMs that ended below $100 a few years ago.
MentholMoose
Majiteque

Post by Majiteque »

So I made an account here after discovering this mod.

And I am really dying to know if someone is doing this mod at a fee.. I am not savvy enough with soldering and etc to do it myself, but if all else fails I guess I'll have to give it a shot... :roll:
Knoxximus
Virtual-On Positive

Post by Knoxximus »

See Menthol? If u build it it, they will come!
MentholMoose
Virtual-On Positive

Post by MentholMoose »

Hi, Majiteque, welcome to the forum. Joining the forum to inquire about this mod is a fine reason, considering similar information isn't available anywhere else (that I know of). Of course there are ample resources for controller modding, but not specific to Twin Sticks.

Regarding your question, I haven't decided yet if I'll do it. I'm waiting for a few things. I'm trying to find someone that can do it, since I don't really have a lot of time to work on this. I've been in contact with a custom stick builder, but he hasn't confirmed that he'll do it yet. Also, I want to know the final control schemes in the game, since I don't want to redo any work (causing delays and extra costs).

Finally, I don't want to work on these until it is confirmed that official Twin Sticks won't be released, since my mod likely couldn't compete price-wise with official Twin Sticks (I would hate to do the mod for someone, only to find out later that he or she could have bought Xbox 360 Twin Sticks for a similar cost).
MentholMoose