Virtual On Force - out now - apparently region free!

Discuss VO4, the latest in the series.
MentholMoose
Virtual-On Positive
Gamertag: MentholMoose
PSN: MentholMoose_

Re: Virtual On Force coming to XBLA?

Post by MentholMoose »

Sixfortyfive wrote:Btw Menthol I love that your gamerscore is still only 200 points. There's a man who knows what he likes! :lol:
:lol:
Now if I just had more time to play it!
MentholMoose
Zaarock
Virtual-On Positive
Gamertag: Zaarock
PSN: xaerock

Post by Zaarock »

MasterFygar wrote:Well, Tatsunoko Vs. Capcom had a specially made arcade stick to emulate the arcade experience, and half of that game consisted of characters from shows that never even got an American release, so if this does come to America, our twinstick-in-Best-Buys potential will be pretty good.
Wasnt that mainly because there was only like one other arcade stick for the Wii? Obviously normal arcade sticks are useful in more games than the twin sticks.
VOOT 2019 guide | VO4 Guide | 2009-generation
Knoxximus
Virtual-On Positive

Post by Knoxximus »

MentholMoose wrote:
Sixfortyfive wrote:Btw Menthol I love that your gamerscore is still only 200 points. There's a man who knows what he likes! :lol:
:lol:
Now if I just had more time to play it!
Tell me about it. :cry:

I graduate in 3 months (hopefully!!)...I can't friggin' wait! :mrgreen:
Sergeant Knoxximus, Pilot #24 reporting for duty SIR!!
DeepInTheHops
Virtual-On Positive
Gamertag: DaveRudolph

Post by DeepInTheHops »

MentholMoose wrote:
MurderDeathKill wrote:As long as SEGA brings it here to the States (or makes the game region-free), I'll get it.
Same here. There's zero chance I'll buy a Japanese Xbox 360 for this game.
Being such a niche title, I have my doubts about there being a US release. Although VOOM, VOOT, and Marz all made it here, so who knows. I think it's even less likely that it'd be region-free, if shmups are any indication of how that usually goes for niche Japanese arcade titles.

I know VOOT sold well in Japan, but what about the US? Does anybody know? The decision will probably largely depend on that.

Also, does anybody here besides me have a Japanese console? Will I not have any English-speaking teammates? :|
somepunk
Virtual-On Positive

Post by somepunk »

My mistake! Someone beat me to it bahaha. Can't wait to at least try this however. I'm still a fan regardless of crapiness...I did try marz after all XD
Masters is in my last name, so you know I'm good! - Ken Masters
PhantomPhotonX
Virtual-On Positive

Post by PhantomPhotonX »

Schooly D wrote:Guess I'm kind of sad about this. From everything I've seen, FORCE doesn't play well at all. And I think it's very telling that still WAY more people prefer VOOT despite FORCE being, on paper, such an attractive option. I mean, who wouldn't want 2 v 2 Virtual-On?

What I see happening is FORCE drawing some people away from VOOT, which makes me sad if FORCE isn't a good game.
My plan was to come home from work today and post exactly this, but Schooly stole the words right out of my mouth. I watched some Youtube videos of Force in action, and to be honest, it looks worse than VOOT in every way, except of course for the 4-player combat, which I think will be more of a diversion than a meat-and-potatoes experience. I have to question the staying power this game will have, and although it may draw in some new people to the Virtual-On world with its accessible (yet shallow) combat system, it probably won't be very popular for long. And then you have the fact that some people will inevitably switch from VOOT to Force, even though VOOT is the better game. And moreover, every day Sega works on Force is one day less they have to work on a proper sequel. It's not that the game looks bad, it's just that it doesn't look anywhere near as good as VOOT.

Ironically though, they could charge $60 and I would still probably buy it, but it's more because of curiosity and being a Virtual-On fan than because I have high hopes for the game.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling but in rising every time we fall."
- Confucius
neoKEN
Virtual-On Positive
Gamertag: neoKEN360

Post by neoKEN »

I'm the same with PhantomPhotonX & Schooly_D. I think it will take away players from VOOT, who are already few as is. VO4 to most people will be one of those games that comes then disappear. I really enjoy VOOT's rank matches due to the great amount of variety of players from Japan I can fight.
MasterFygar wrote:Well, Tatsunoko Vs. Capcom had a specially made arcade stick to emulate the arcade experience, and half of that game consisted of characters from shows that never even got an American release, so if this does come to America, our twinstick-in-Best-Buys potential will be pretty good.
If only ANY Virtual On game can sell in the west as good as TvC. Capcom fighters have a huge fanbase. We're tiny in comparison. If you want the 360 twinsticks, you'll probably have to import.
VR: Bal-bados, Angelan, ALL.
See you on IRC! Server: EFNET Channel: #VIRTUALON
Virtual-On Videos from Japan, NA, & EU http://www.youtube.com/xneoken
shamanic_beat
Virtual-On Positive

Post by shamanic_beat »

I'm more optimistic about this than other folks here. Sure some people will switch from VOOT to Force, but the opposite will happen as well. Considering VOOT is the likely to be the better game, I say more people will switch to VOOT than the other way around. Either way, at the end of the day more people are playing Virtual-On. It's a good thing.

And I see Force not as a distraction but as a stepping stone to a sequel. If it sells, if they find it profitable, they might look into reviving the franchise. With the economy as it is, they aren't going to put in too much money on a project that they don't know if it'll sell.

Though I do worry if it'll get released here. Not sure if I want enough Japanese-only games to get a JPN 360. Stein;gate is getting a port to the PC, and I'm not hardcore enough for IdolM@ster, Dreamclub and the Waifu game...
chunkypuff31
Virtual-On Positive
Gamertag: chunkypuff 3 1

Post by chunkypuff31 »

Jeez, you guys are so pessimistic! I'm glad that they're bringing VO4 to the Xbox, as that finally gives us Americans a chance to play it. From what I've seen online, Force actually doesn't look too bad. Looks no worse than Marz, and I found Marz enjoyable. I'm optimistic about this.

And if this gives Hasegawa an excuse to release more Virtual-On models, I'm sold. :)
Examples of unintended hilarity, generously provided by Vash:
"With Geico, you can save thousands of money!"
"I am the only one playing with myself at night."
MurderDeathKill

Post by MurderDeathKill »

DeepInTheHops wrote:I know VOOT sold well in Japan, but what about the US? Does anybody know? The decision will probably largely depend on that.
I doubt Virtual On ever did nearly as well in the U.S. as it did in Japan, yet SEGA has always proven to be awesome and brought Virtual On to the west regardless.

I'll remain optimistic; SEGA is no Bandai-Namco, after all.
shamanic_beat
Virtual-On Positive

Post by shamanic_beat »

The countdown has officially ended at "4". The VO: Force website is up and running.

Price: TBA
Estimated Release Date: Winter 2010
Version: 7.7
Number of VRs: 91 (no doubt with countless pointless variations of the same VR)
North American release: No information yet.
Split-screen: 4
Game completion: 30%

source:
http://next-360action.sega.jp/
http://vo-force360.sega.jp
http://www.famitsu.com/game/coming/1235222_1407.html
http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2010/0 ... e_for_360/
Long Shadow

Post by Long Shadow »

There's an ad for VO4 on the Japanese Xbox site.
It has some workers cleaning Temjin's foot, and maybe 1-2 seconds of game footage.

A few click in and you should come across it.
http://www.xbox.com/ja-JP/xbox360tokumeika/
shamanic_beat
Virtual-On Positive

Post by shamanic_beat »

Long Shadow wrote:There's an ad for VO4 on the Japanese Xbox site.
It has some workers cleaning Temjin's foot, and maybe 1-2 seconds of game footage.

A few click in and you should come across it.
http://www.xbox.com/ja-JP/xbox360tokumeika/
Oh you can see that clip on youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPuOMCsQAGg
DeepInTheHops
Virtual-On Positive
Gamertag: DaveRudolph

Post by DeepInTheHops »

PhantomPhotonX wrote:Ironically though, they could charge $60 and I would still probably buy it, but it's more because of curiosity and being a Virtual-On fan than because I have high hopes for the game.
Same here. I'm going to buy it, but mostly out of curiosity, and also to throw some more money at Sega for keeping the franchise alive. If I didn't already have a Japanese 360, things would be different (although I would have eagerly bought one for VOOT :geek:).

Not so coincidentally, I had the same concerns as you guys.
Long Shadow

Post by Long Shadow »

Some higher res pics.

shamanic_beat
Virtual-On Positive

Post by shamanic_beat »

If they are charging 60 bucks for it they need to do a better job in the light and shadow department...
MentholMoose
Virtual-On Positive

Post by MentholMoose »

MentholMoose wrote:
MurderDeathKill wrote:As long as SEGA brings it here to the States (or makes the game region-free), I'll get it.
On second thought, considering I have no US games, I could sell my current 360 and replace it with a Japanese 360. The loss wouldn't be too much, and there might be some other Japanese game that interest me. However, honestly I'm not interested in Force at all. The good Japanese VOOT players completely dominate the best US players, just imagine how bad it will be in Force considering nobody in the US has played Force extensively.
MentholMoose
MentholMoose
Virtual-On Positive

Post by MentholMoose »

shamanic_beat wrote:......

If they are charging 60 bucks for it they need to do a better job in the light and shadow department...
Indeed, it looks awful. I can't imagine they will ship it like this. Do you really think there's a chance it will retail at $60?
MentholMoose
neo helbeast
Virtual-On Positive
Gamertag: MechWarrior

Post by neo helbeast »

MentholMoose wrote:
MentholMoose wrote:
On second thought, considering I have no US games, I could sell my current 360 and replace it with a Japanese 360. The loss wouldn't be too much, and there might be some other Japanese game that interest me. However, honestly I'm not interested in Force at all. The good Japanese VOOT players completely dominate the best US players, just imagine how bad it will be in Force considering nobody in the US has played Force extensively.
I dont' know much about Jp games but, honestly there really aren't any fun games anymore. Hence why I'm making a game.
velocity7

Post by velocity7 »

Considering the game is getting a full retail Japanese release, it will retail at least 6800 yen, with some limited edition going for 9000+ yen.

I have a Japanese 360 myself, so regardless of what happens with this game I should still be able to play it.

Also, considering they made improvements to the graphics on VOOT, which looked pretty much 1:1 to the original until the graphics update they some time later, I'm pretty sure it'll change. Besides, the game is only 30% done, right? That, and considering it's a full retail release, I'm sure SEGA wouldn't want to risk releasing this game with it just looking 1:1 compared to the original.