Virtual On Force - out now - apparently region free!

Discuss VO4, the latest in the series.
max99

Re: Virtual On Force coming to XBLA?

Post by max99 »

i'm not in favour of force coming on disc in japan, it will kill off VOOT on xbox live.

the japanese players are keeping VOOT going at the moment as there's always a decent number online to challenge. presumably when force arrives in japan these players will migrate over leaving VOOT with hardly any active players.

bit of a kick in the teeth to western VOOT player too as this will almost certainly not arrive in the US or europe. they should change plan and make force xbox live only to keep everyone happy.
velocity7

Post by velocity7 »

max99 wrote:i'm not in favour of force coming on disc in japan, it will kill off VOOT on xbox live.

the japanese players are keeping VOOT going at the moment as there's always a decent number online to challenge. presumably when force arrives in japan these players will migrate over leaving VOOT with hardly any active players.

bit of a kick in the teeth to western VOOT player too as this will almost certainly not arrive in the US or europe. they should change plan and make force xbox live only to keep everyone happy.
Why would it kill off VOOT? Force has a totally different pacing and gameplay paradigm compared to VOOT. VOOT has been and always will be fast-paced mecha combat, whereas Force has always been about 2v2 combat at VOOM speeds, with mechanics for close combat and Watari-dashing watered down.

I'd be more eager to see the game come to the west, but that's a decision totally up to SEGA. Though I can't say for certain whether the game is better off on disc or XBLA; that'll be dependent on what SEGA decides to do with Force.
Long Shadow

Post by Long Shadow »

I don't think it'll kill off VOOT either.

Being a retail disc (VOF) might entice more people to get 360s, for an actual disc based game, and, chances are that a decent amount of those people would also buy VOOT,
I could be wrong, but I'd think most people that would buy a console for one game would more likely buy if for a disc based game then a DL based game.

Also, like it's been mentioned before, the 2 games have quite a different from each other. VOF may be newer with 2-on-2, but people will still go back from time to time for some "pure" one-on-one action.

I really don't get a chance to play VOOT nearly as much as I want to.

Just wondering, what are the fundamental difference between VOF and MARZ? I've heard people refer to MARZ as a watered down version of VOF, with a story mode.
MurderDeathKill

Post by MurderDeathKill »

Mostly in the roster, which has a ton of variants of the Temjin and Vox series, and as few as 1 model for most everybody else. Everybody got at least 3 or 4 variants (except Guara), in Force.

Also, OMG A TRAILER:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6IhJ3zyMe0A

Definitely giving Guara a whirl after Kagekiyo.
shamanic_beat
Virtual-On Positive

Post by shamanic_beat »

According to the comments on the niconico version of the trailer, a bunch of people are buying a crapbox360(their words) for this game.

You can check out the niconico video with this page even if you don't have a niconico account.

And damn I want me loli VR.
Long Shadow

Post by Long Shadow »

Thanks MDK.

Can you customize the colours in FORCE, like in VOOT?
chunkypuff31
Virtual-On Positive
Gamertag: chunkypuff 3 1

Post by chunkypuff31 »

Long Shadow wrote:Thanks MDK.

Unfortunately, no. Instead, there are different pre-made color schemes that you can unlock. From what I can understand, they're supposed to be the paint schemes for VR's that are deployed in different regions, kind of like in Gundam. For example, here are the colors available for the Temjin 707.
Examples of unintended hilarity, generously provided by Vash:
"With Geico, you can save thousands of money!"
"I am the only one playing with myself at night."
MentholMoose
Virtual-On Positive
Gamertag: MentholMoose
PSN: MentholMoose_

Post by MentholMoose »

chunkypuff31 wrote:
Long Shadow wrote:Thanks MDK.

Unfortunately, no. Instead, there are different pre-made color schemes that you can unlock. From what I can understand, they're supposed to be the paint schemes for VR's that are deployed in different regions, kind of like in Gundam. For example, here are the colors available for the Temjin 707.
This is similar to VOOT 5.66 arcade. With arcade games they can't let you waste time on the machine doing complicated customizations, so with VOOT 5.66 you only had some random schemes, a handful of predefined Quick Messages, and no icon options. However, VOOT 5.66 had a Dreamcast VMU slot, so on your own time at home you could use Dreamcast VOOT, or the 5.66 Customize Disk, to create custom color schemes, Quick Messages, and icons.

Since Sega made changes to these features in VOOT 360, it would be nice if they would change them (for the better :D ) in Force 360.
MentholMoose
shamanic_beat
Virtual-On Positive

Post by shamanic_beat »

High quality video of the trailer is posted on the official site. Or just click it below for a direct link.

And they want your comments and stuff on their twitter.
http://twitter.com/VOForce360
MentholMoose
Virtual-On Positive

Post by MentholMoose »

shamanic_beat wrote:High quality video of the trailer is posted on the official site. Or just click it below for a direct link.

And they want your comments and stuff on their twitter.
http://twitter.com/VOForce360
Thanks for the links.
MentholMoose
Long Shadow

Post by Long Shadow »

Nice, a 60fps trailer.

For the size (170MB), I would have thought it would be a 720p (1280x720) resolution clip, bit it's only 640x360. Still 60fps is nice.
Aryudsoh

Post by Aryudsoh »

Looks like the games graphics are running in a higher resolution than the arcade similar to the 360 port of VOOT.
Gamertag: Aryudsoh
MentholMoose
Virtual-On Positive

Post by MentholMoose »

Aryudsoh wrote:Looks like the games graphics are running in a higher resolution than the arcade similar to the 360 port of VOOT.
Yes, it should have some higher resolutions available, as well as wide screen. It would be very disappointing if a 9+ year old game couldn't run above 640x480 on the Xbox 360.
MentholMoose
shamanic_beat
Virtual-On Positive

Post by shamanic_beat »

I will be very pissed if it looks inferior to VOOT.
Aryudsoh

Post by Aryudsoh »

Well checked out magicbox and it says the graphics are based on VOOT for 360. So higher resolutions and more softer lighting effects but nothing being remodelled as expected.

Hope it does well so we can see a new sequel to the VO series.
Gamertag: Aryudsoh
DeepInTheHops
Virtual-On Positive
Gamertag: DaveRudolph

Post by DeepInTheHops »

Aryudsoh wrote:Well checked out magicbox and it says the graphics are based on VOOT for 360. So higher resolutions and more softer lighting effects but nothing being remodelled as expected.
Fine by me, I thought VOOT looked pretty good for being a 10+ year old arcade port. :) Then again, I play it with the Enhanced Graphics turned off, so maybe my taste is questionable.

<OffTopic>Shamanic, have you always had Mushihimesama Futari? I don't think I've seen it in your gamer card before.</OffTopic>
shamanic_beat
Virtual-On Positive

Post by shamanic_beat »

I just bought it last week for 25 bucks CDN :3
Long Shadow

Post by Long Shadow »

When it comes to specific details like "the game graphics is based on Virtual On Oratorio Tangram v5.66, which runs in a high resolution than the arcade, with softer lighting effects.", MagicBox often get those types of details wrong.

We know it'll at least run 720p, wide, and 60fps. Beyond that we don't know, though I hope that we can atleast get non-circular shadows for the mechs as an option.

I was looking at the old FORCE Japanese arcade flyers, and they show in-game pictures with proper shadows for the mechs. Obviously from a pre-release version.

shamanic_beat
Virtual-On Positive

Post by shamanic_beat »

They released a loli VR wallpaper for Loli-D on the official website.

And they posted Wataru's twitter. Maybe we should all tweet him and get him bring the game over here.
mechazoidal

Post by mechazoidal »

shamanic_beat wrote:And they posted Wataru's twitter. Maybe we should all tweet him and get him bring the game over here.
Well, he does respond fast, so it won't go unnoticed.
(I'm hesitant to reply to him since my Japanese was pidgin at best in college, and I use Nifty Translate to read stuff these days)