Virtual On Force - out now - apparently region free!

Discuss VO4, the latest in the series.
MurderDeathKill

Re: Virtual On Force coming to XBLA?

Post by MurderDeathKill »

If they do sell the game for full price, they better include a lot of extra content, or something. O_o
Schooly D
Virtual-On Positive
Gamertag: Schooly D

Post by Schooly D »

A timeline:

Sega: "Yeah, well, whatever. We had some free time, so we decided to port VOOT to XBLA. Whatevs, download if you want, not like it cost us anything."

Players: "ZOMG! Yay!"

*everyone buys VOOT*

Sega: "Wow! VOOT sold really well! Virtual-On might be profitable again! Let's run with this!"

*Sega ports FORCE to Xbox for $60*

Players: "Um. You want me to pay $60 for a port of a 10-year-old game that neither I nor anyone else liked?"

*no one buys FORCE*

Sega: "Aw, no one bought FORCE and now we're out $1 million. Guess we were wrong when we thought Virtual-On still had life in it. Hey <Japanese name>, we're cancelling that new VO game we talked about. It's just not profitable."
Made in Malaysia by Kurt Russell and Goldie Hawn
shamanic_beat
Virtual-On Positive

Post by shamanic_beat »

Schooly D wrote:A timeline:
Sega: "Aw, no one bought FORCE and now we're out $1 million. Guess we were wrong when we thought Virtual-On still had life in it. Hey <Japanese name>, we're cancelling that new VO game we talked about. It's just not profitable."
You made it sound as though the series had a bright and shining future before Force was announced XD
MentholMoose
Virtual-On Positive
Gamertag: MentholMoose
PSN: MentholMoose_

Post by MentholMoose »

Schooly D wrote:*Sega ports FORCE to Xbox for $60*
Actually MSRP for Japanese titles is apparently ¥6800, or US$75.
MentholMoose
DeepInTheHops
Virtual-On Positive
Gamertag: DaveRudolph

Post by DeepInTheHops »

My Japanese pre-orders through Play-Asia have always come out to something like $75 if I go with the cheap shipping ($4, takes about 2 or 3 weeks, no insurance). I'd assume VOF would be about the same. Unlike the US, Japan doesn't have the "old arcade game = budget title" mindset.

As far as graphical effects go, I don't see them doing much more than they did for VOOT, but I'm always a pessimist. As for extra modes, I'm not sure what they'd even add.
velocity7

Post by velocity7 »

Well you have to remember that on an XBLA budget, you don't expect much in the way of improvements. For full retail releases though, you can expect at least a thing or two in terms of added value compared to the arcade game.
Sixfortyfive
Virtual-On Positive

Post by Sixfortyfive »

The idea that a competitive arcade game needs extra filler modes or unlockable content to justify its price is kind of bullshit. Always has been.

You buy these games for the VS mode. Everything else is just fluff.
shamanic_beat
Virtual-On Positive

Post by shamanic_beat »

DeepInTheHops wrote:As for extra modes, I'm not sure what they'd even add.
Right now they've confirmed single player mission mode and co-op bush mode.
Sixfortyfive wrote:The idea that a competitive arcade game needs extra filler modes or unlockable content to justify its price is kind of bullshit. Always has been.

The idea that more value for my buck is bad = bullshit. I sure as hell don't mind the graphics upgrade in VOOT360.
velocity7

Post by velocity7 »

shamanic_beat wrote:
Sixfortyfive wrote:The idea that a competitive arcade game needs extra filler modes or unlockable content to justify its price is kind of bullshit. Always has been.

The idea that more value for my buck is bad = bullshit. I sure as hell don't mind the graphics upgrade in VOOT360.
QFT.
Viper2
Virtual-On Positive

Post by Viper2 »

Perhaps they could bundle MARZ with it?

Personally, I'd like to see a PC port...
DeepInTheHops
Virtual-On Positive

Post by DeepInTheHops »

Viper2 wrote:Perhaps they could bundle MARZ with it?
That was the only thing I could think of that would really add value. [Cue jokes about how that adds no value]

Seriously though, the only extras I can think of are:
- Additional single player modes (meh, mostly useless)
- Enhanced graphics (would be nice, but meh)
- Some built-in pro replays (might be nice, but that's what Nicovideo is for)
- Image galleries and/or OST (meh for me, others might like it)

I'd rather pay 1200 MS points for a bare bones electronic version, personally.
velocity7

Post by velocity7 »

Somehow, I fear that if SEGA had put it on XBLA, you'd buy the game for 800-1200 MSP with only the Temjin 707 tree available, and you'd have to buy 4000 MSP worth of Virtuaroid trees to unlock everything.
PhantomPhotonX
Virtual-On Positive

Post by PhantomPhotonX »

The only thing that would make me excited about the game is if they VOOT-ified the combat system. As it is now, it's sluggish, the VR's move a lot slower, and several CC mechanics are missing. Also, I hear that Watari dashing is harder to do, which is no good. If they don't overhaul the core gameplay, then I won't see this game as anything more than a casual "minigame" of sorts. And let's face it, that's probably not gonna happen.

And yes, I would demand that they improve the graphics a LOT. I need 60 FPS, as well as shadowing that is a little more imaginative than putting a little circle underneath the VR. Maybe also bundle in some storyline content a la One Man Rescue, so people actually know what the hell is going on when they play this game.

For me, the fact that the game is being released on a separate disk makes me hopeful that they will at least give us something to justify the price. Perhaps they are doing this for the same reasons that they couldn't make Super Street Fighter 4 a downloadable title...because there was too much additional content. Hopefully that is the case here.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling but in rising every time we fall."
- Confucius
velocity7

Post by velocity7 »

PhantomPhotonX wrote:The only thing that would make me excited about the game is if they VOOT-ified the combat system. As it is now, it's sluggish, the VR's move a lot slower, and several CC mechanics are missing. Also, I hear that Watari dashing is harder to do, which is no good. If they don't overhaul the core gameplay, then I won't see this game as anything more than a casual "minigame" of sorts. And let's face it, that's probably not gonna happen.

And yes, I would demand that they improve the graphics a LOT. I need 60 FPS, as well as shadowing that is a little more imaginative than putting a little circle underneath the VR. Maybe also bundle in some storyline content a la One Man Rescue, so people actually know what the hell is going on when they play this game.

For me, the fact that the game is being released on a separate disk makes me hopeful that they will at least give us something to justify the price. Perhaps they are doing this for the same reasons that they couldn't make Super Street Fighter 4 a downloadable title...because there was too much additional content. Hopefully that is the case here.
Well Force was indeed 60 FPS, so don't worry about that part. The game is also only 30% done, so those screenshots are not really indicative of what the final product will be like. Hopefully as development continues, shadowing, lighting, graphics, etc. will improve.

If you want an idea of how MSBS 7.7 plays, I suggest looking at Virtual-ON Marz. Though I should note, it was a crap game, having been watered down quite a bit and also having a terrible story mode.
Zaarock
Virtual-On Positive
Gamertag: Zaarock
PSN: xaerock

Post by Zaarock »

I dont see the need for better graphics myself, VOOT xbla has them good enough for me.. no unnecessary visual clutter and clearly visible hitboxes. Having particle effects and such come out of projectiles sounds sort of silly.
VOOT 2019 guide | VO4 Guide | 2009-generation
DeepInTheHops
Virtual-On Positive

Post by DeepInTheHops »

I agree, I'd be content if they just did what they did for VOOT. 60 FPS and clean HD textures are all I'm looking for, and those are a given.
MentholMoose
Virtual-On Positive
Gamertag: MentholMoose
PSN: MentholMoose_

Post by MentholMoose »

DeepInTheHops wrote:I agree, I'd be content if they just did what they did for VOOT. 60 FPS and clean HD textures are all I'm looking for, and those are a given.
Well arcade and DC VOOT were 60 FPS, and VOOT 360 appears to use the arcade textures (from 5.66, not 5.2 or 5.4). They did add a lighting upgrade in a patch, which was nice, and of course you can run at a higher resolution (arcade and DC were 640x480 plus some cropping). The best upgrade was probably the complete elimination of the slowdown that was in the arcade and DC versions.
MentholMoose
MurderDeathKill

Post by MurderDeathKill »

Maybe they'll invest some time in implementing decent AI for the CPU, so I have something to practice with when there's nobody on LIVE to play against.

Hell, I still wish they would do so with VOOT.
shamanic_beat
Virtual-On Positive

Post by shamanic_beat »

PhantomPhotonX wrote:The only thing that would make me excited about the game is if they VOOT-ified the combat system. As it is now, it's sluggish, the VR's move a lot slower, and several CC mechanics are missing. Also, I hear that Watari dashing is harder to do, which is no good. If they don't overhaul the core gameplay, then I won't see this game as anything more than a casual "minigame" of sorts. And let's face it, that's probably not gonna happen.
I would like some kind of turbo mode that speeds up the game by say... 30% or something. Though I fear for the pilot's mental well being if Force has exactly twice the amount of awesome as VOOT. VOOT is so hectic already that I have trouble playing for an extended period of time.

Imagine two Menthol shooting things at you or two Aniking playing bumper carts across the field. My mind would probably blow up like those pilots did with the Wing Zero Gundam.
Knoxximus
Virtual-On Positive

Post by Knoxximus »

I'm just happy we got the definitive version of VOOT, no matter what else happens. Soon, I'll have more time to get my skills up. :mrgreen:
Sergeant Knoxximus, Pilot #24 reporting for duty SIR!!