Free Gold weekend

Discuss the Virtual-On series.
Porcupine
Virtual-On Positive

Free Gold weekend

Post by Porcupine »

It's free Gold weekend again from 10/10/14 to 10/12/14, probably USA only is my guess. Might be a good time to get together as a few people who might not otherwise be playing tend to show up during such times.

Aside from that, you can currently also get infinite free 1 months of Gold via Dashboard offers/tricks, but less people tend to know about those.
MentholMoose
Virtual-On Positive
Gamertag: MentholMoose
PSN: MentholMoose_

Re: Free Gold weekend

Post by MentholMoose »

Thanks for the heads up. I'll plan to play Saturday night.
MentholMoose
Porcupine
Virtual-On Positive

Post by Porcupine »

Got in a few matches last night with Zaarock and Shamanic Beat, but today XBL is acting up for me and I can barely connect. I even got the famous Black Screen of Death problem a few times.

What a waste of free Gold weekend! Microsoft should give us another one as an apology. Actually, they should just make Gold free at all times considering that XBL is semi-inaccessible on a weekly basis due to recurring issues (probably DoS attacks on their servers).
MentholMoose
Virtual-On Positive

Post by MentholMoose »

Sorry about not playing yesterday. I had a long day and was really tired, so I didn't feel like playing. I'll try to make it next Saturday.
MentholMoose
Porcupine
Virtual-On Positive

Post by Porcupine »

It's been a while since the last one but we finally have another Free Gold Weekend from 5/1/15 to 5/3/15, probably USA only but I'm not sure. We have a bunch of new VOOT players so it would be nice if intermediate-level players who ran out of Gold and stopped playing could make an appearance.

If just the regular crowd shows up we might play VOOM or Force instead. We also need someone new to play a VOOM ranked match, because right now there are exactly 998 players registered on the xbox 360 VOOM leaderboard, and a Japanese player recently said that thanks to the foreigners it's finally almost at 1000, haha. (Since I haven't played yet, I can be the 999th player).
MentholMoose
Virtual-On Positive

Post by MentholMoose »

Cool thanks for the heads up.
MentholMoose
Porcupine
Virtual-On Positive

Post by Porcupine »

It's free Gold weekend again, exactly 1 year from the previous one. Maybe this is the current pattern. Works out great for me since I don't currently have Gold active on any of my accounts (I always just use trials, promos, or exploits...and I'm finally getting close to possibly running out someday so I'm more conservative about activating my trials).

I haven't been played online at all for the past month, so hopefully we can still get a good turnout this weekend.
Schooly D
Virtual-On Positive
Gamertag: Schooly D

Post by Schooly D »

I'll see about playing tomorrow night (Saturday)
Made in Malaysia by Kurt Russell and Goldie Hawn
MDK

Post by MDK »

I'll play. Let me set up my account for VOOT. Will update this post later. I could probably play 3PM - 9PM PST today and tomorrow. I'm not too good since I barely play with anyone else but I'll play for the hell of it.

EDIT: Played Porcupine and VOTwinstick. Great games.
OM: Viper II / Raiden / Fei Yen
OT: Cypher / Raiden / Fei Yen / Grys Vok
Force: Myzr Delta / Fei Yen with BlueHeart / Temjin 747
Marz: lol

VO Subreddit: reddit.com/r/virtualon
VOTwinstick
Gamertag: VOTwinstick

Post by VOTwinstick »

Thank you...ahh...You! MDK it would help if profile post had your gamertag! I battled quite a few (and my Temjin still smoldering today), that night! The kicker (even if it's U and being polite) SchoolyD showed up in Rank and made me and my Virtuaroid sterile! His (yours?) precision surgical operation (piloting the Virtuaroid) on me, in the like's I haven't seen since the "Virtual-On Thing" when I fought Menthol M0ose! A class act guy (too) and has arsenal of pin point targeting... exploding ammunitions. EVERYWHERE! Yeah, you know who you are and I haven't forgot! Cause in both cases I had the time of my life! So KDM... let me know your GT so I can relive the fun (even all the defeats) in my head or check the video & point and say, yeah...that guy. P.S. People... Let's do it again!
@VOTwinstick on Twitter / VOTwinstick on Twitch & Niconico / VO-MC / Temjin from Green Hills to Jupiter!
Porcupine
Virtual-On Positive

Post by Porcupine »

I think we already put MDK on our friends list, the person from the USA with a silver account. He is pretty good, I feel like he is one of the rare players who might be able to reach competitive USA level in just a year or two of playing other people (FlyExponent being the most recent who did that). Schooly D kicked my butt, and I'm not doing much better against some other players.

Amazing free Gold weekend, apparently all 3 Gold weekends in this thread have been global. Prior to that they were more frequent, yet regional. A ton of Japanese players I had never seen before showed up, with a fair number of them silver. I also noticed that on the leaderboard, over the last couple months I was gone, there are a lot of new replays from people I've never seen (not the same ones on the weekend). I wonder if possibly the spacefight replay attracted them? A few Japanese players seemed to blame me for it, even though there is no visible link. They didn't figure out the replay is fake and worry about being forced into a spacefight. A couple of them stopped playing with me afterward, while a couple of others started to play with me more, maybe hoping for one.

I'm pretty sure we can have real spacefights if the host player has a modded xbox, but it would get eventually get banned and I don't have one anyway. Direct link spacefights with one modded xbox and one regular one should be possible.
Porcupine
Virtual-On Positive

Post by Porcupine »

Another free Gold weekend is now active, from 4/1/16 to 4/3/16. Don't know if this one is worldwide but over the past two years, there have been two free Gold weekends per year, at sort of the same days per year, and they have been worldwide. They have all come with no prior notice.

Assuming MentholMoose didn't renew his Gold yet, might be a good weekend to play and not have to waste his money. I have a month of Gold active on one Porcupine but this lets me play with more accounts. Let's try to show up this weekend!
Porcupine
Virtual-On Positive

Post by Porcupine »

An unexpected free Gold weekend has come up, starting from today, Thursday June 9, not sure when it will end. It is worldwide. I'll definitely be playing this weekend. MentholMoose party, anyone?
MDK

Post by MDK »

I'll play tonight from like 7-8 PM PST. Think my username was Nonprofitsoup. Haven't played VOOT in a while. Also apologies if my connection isn't the best.
OM: Viper II / Raiden / Fei Yen
OT: Cypher / Raiden / Fei Yen / Grys Vok
Force: Myzr Delta / Fei Yen with BlueHeart / Temjin 747
Marz: lol

VO Subreddit: reddit.com/r/virtualon
Porcupine
Virtual-On Positive

Post by Porcupine »

Free gold weekend is now over. This time it started one day early and ended one day earlier. Seems to have been targeted for Japan, that's where I first saw people talking about it. The Japanese players also got a message notifying them of it, while other regions did not, even though it did apply worldwide.

There was more activity than usual, we played a lot of VOOT and Force.

I was going to say that MDK is really good, better than I remembered. But then I look up and see that I said the same thing about you last time. Well, if you keep playing, the top 2 non-Japanese players are both Cypher players like you, and there's a 3rd not much below them, so you could quickly become top level. I'm not a Cypher player though.

I got a bunch of negative feedbacks (for Quit Early) from Japanese players on the gamertag I was playing with, now I have 72% negative. I disconnected several times right when the match ended, sometimes VOOT does that in Ranked match. That's when I got those negative feedbacks. This is really stupid because it's Xbox Live's fault this happens in this case. Worse yet, I suspect that sometimes when I do NOT get the disconnect error message, it is possible my opponent does. As I get all the negative feedbacks in rapid succession from different players, when the disconnects start happening, but in matches where it doesn't disconnect (from my point of view). So I could be "ragequitting" and I don't even know about it.

On that particular gamertag, my points and Win/Losses don't add up either. It is off by 1 point, meaning that it officially disconnected once. I was belatedly awarded with a loss 20 minutes after the match disconnected, and didn't get the 1 point normally associated with a loss.
Porcupine
Virtual-On Positive

Post by Porcupine »

Haven't confirmed it yet but supposedly it's now free Gold weekend again from 10/27/16 to 10/30/16. Hopefully I can get my fourth Porcupine to 5-star general and play some VOOM ranked with my main Porcupine.
Porcupine
Virtual-On Positive

Post by Porcupine »

This fits no pattern but it's now free Gold again starting tonight, Wednesday 2/15/17 to unknown time. Does not let you download the free Gold games, like usual. Let's all play!
Porcupine
Virtual-On Positive

Post by Porcupine »

A 4-day free Gold weekend is currently active, from 5/18/17 to 5/21/17. My Gold just ran out today so it's perfect for me. It would be even better if I can get SoulGuitarist to move the tournament up a week, then we can perhaps get more players. Shamanic Beat and Skydriverice are currently Silver as well.
Porcupine
Virtual-On Positive

Post by Porcupine »

There's been no official news or announcement but a new $1 for 1 month Gold offer has popped up on the dashboard, so anyone without Gold can use it to play in SoulGuitarist's tournament! There is no indication on how long the offer will last but it is showing up on all free accounts and has a unique graphic that wasn't in previous $1 months so it doesn't seem to be a glitch at least (some are, or seem like it).
Porcupine
Virtual-On Positive

Post by Porcupine »

It's free Gold weekend just as predicted, this time from Friday 10/6/17, to Monday 10/9/17 at 11:59 pm PT. It may have something to do with the Star Wars Battlefront 2 beta, so I think there is a good chance we will get another free Gold weekend later this year.

Anyone want to have Team Battle 2?