We made Kotaku!!

Discuss the Virtual-On series.
Knoxximus
Virtual-On Positive

We made Kotaku!!

Post by Knoxximus »

We, actually, my blog made Kotaku, but Oratan.com is never more than a click away from there! YAY!!

I actually wrote about the Hori stick, and BAM!! :shock: :D

http://kotaku.com/5290033/heres-your-30 ... -a-15-game

EDIT: Who is Ollie B.? Anyhoo, he referenced Methol's response to my shock at the layout and got the thread linked as well! Oratan.com is linked to Kotaku today....BRACE YOURSELVES!!
Sergeant Knoxximus, Pilot #24 reporting for duty SIR!!
Purple-Tamjin

Re: We made Kotaku!!

Post by Purple-Tamjin »

Donno... I'm surprised Kotaku even cared. They're the type that generally speaking only cares about games like MW2 and the likes.
Gamering Taga: KyuAzier
wraith88

Post by wraith88 »

Knoxximus wrote:EDIT: Who is Ollie B.? Anyhoo, he referenced Methol's response to my shock at the layout and got the thread linked as well! Oratan.com is linked to Kotaku today....BRACE YOURSELVES!!
you remember Ollie B. - aka Cacophanus
He wrote that cool retrospective about Virtual On
http://www.gamesetwatch.com/2009/03/col ... k_onta.php

btw Knoxximus - got a good chuckle out of your article too :D

As for the Hori Twin Sticks, it appears over 60% of the viewers on the Virtual On Xbox Live Park event also said "DO NOT WANT"
http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2009/0 ... ks_survey/
Knoxximus
Virtual-On Positive

Post by Knoxximus »

wraith88 wrote:
Knoxximus wrote:EDIT: Who is Ollie B.? Anyhoo, he referenced Methol's response to my shock at the layout and got the thread linked as well! Oratan.com is linked to Kotaku today....BRACE YOURSELVES!!
you remember Ollie B. - aka Cacophanus
He wrote that cool retrospective about Virtual On
http://www.gamesetwatch.com/2009/03/col ... k_onta.php

btw Knoxximus - got a good chuckle out of your article too :D

As for the Hori Twin Sticks, it appears over 60% of the viewers on the Virtual On Xbox Live Park event also said "DO NOT WANT"
http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2009/0 ... ks_survey/
Oh, ok! Thanks for reading my article and I'm glad you enjoyed it! Glad the majority of Japanese pilots DO NOT WANT it either. :lol: :D
Testament/Seven7
Virtual-On Positive

Post by Testament/Seven7 »

Wow, when even a majority japanese fanbase says NO, practically right in front of the person responsible for the product, that speaks volumes more than any words can.

Having said that, i gotta say, im suprised, and i'll bet SEGA and HORI are too...*snaps fingers* CRUD!

This means that demand for the SS and DC sticks on EBAY is gonna increase further, at worst, price increase, at best...none in stock, which still bites, and I won't get that kind of money till the end of the month, practically...

Err, anyone wanna sell me a SS or DC twinstick for a reasonable price? It will get modded, though not irreparably... (mostly a joke, though that may turn serious if i'm right...)
Marz First Lt. Testament, Temjin pilot

Xbox live gamertag: Lt Testament
MurderDeathKill

Post by MurderDeathKill »

Testament/Seven7 wrote:This means that demand for the SS and DC sticks on EBAY is gonna increase further, at worst, price increase, at best...none in stock, which still bites, and I won't get that kind of money till the end of the month, practically...
Maybe it'll mean they'll reconsider giving us sticks that don't cost as much as a console.

I mean, holy crap, it's great that they're sticking high-quality parts into the thing, but leave that to the modders.
neoKEN
Virtual-On Positive

Post by neoKEN »

30% sounds about right. It's not like 100% of theJapanese VOOT fanbase bought VOOT sticks for the Saturn and Dreamcast.

The andriasang article seems bias to me. The base of the Hori VOOT sticks look like the same as the HRAP. It is very solid.
VR: Bal-bados, Angelan, ALL.
See you on IRC! Server: EFNET Channel: #VIRTUALON
Virtual-On Videos from Japan, NA, & EU http://www.youtube.com/xneoken
MentholMoose
Virtual-On Positive

Post by MentholMoose »

neoKEN wrote:The andriasang article seems bias to me. The base of the Hori VOOT sticks look like the same as the HRAP. It is very solid.
I don't think the article author was really complaining about the sturdyness of the Hori Twin Sticks.

He's complaining about the price, considering he said, "Buyers will have to shell out ¥30,000. As a comparison, the Xbox 360 Arcade pack costs ¥19,800." Also he complained about the appearance: "I was among the 29.1% who said they'd pre-order, but I have no intention of buying that ugly, ugly device."

I don't think there's a strong argument for the Hori Twin Sticks not being sturdy. First, the joysticks are built by Sanwa, which (I think) is the biggest arcade part manufacturer in Japan, and have an MSRP of $85 each! They are designed for commercial use, and should last a long time under home use. Second, the HRAP base is fine, and I don't think the base really affects the sturdyness anyway. It's not a wear and tear component and shouldn't break unless you drop it. It will affect how sturdy the controller "feels" though, since the base constitutes a big part of the weight, and a heavy controller generally feels more sturdy. Third, the top panel should be metal (like Saturn Twin Sticks) or reinforced plastic (like DC Twin Sticks), if Hori knows what they're doing (and they probably do, considering they have extensive experience with arcade sticks). It wouldn't make any sense to attach heavy-duty arcade joysticks to a cheap panel.

Anyway, the site did get a number of hits from the Kotaku blog post (about 50% increase over normal). Also we received some hits from this Japanese blog posting, which is summarizing our responses to the Hori Twin Sticks announcement:
http://d.hatena.ne.jp/yms-zun/20090614

The blog author also shows off his custom Twin Sticks, which are similar to the Hori Twin Sticks. He provided a breakdown for the parts he bought, and the total was ¥23,780.
MentholMoose
Knoxximus
Virtual-On Positive

Post by Knoxximus »

Geez, why are the stick grips so....cylindrical? what happened to the ergonomic grooves that made the Saturn/DC sticks so damn sexy? Honestly, if the grips looked more like the previous sticks, I wouldn't have a problem.
RVR - 42
Virtual-On Positive

Post by RVR - 42 »

Wow...long time no see, guys. But this is crazy. Getting that exposure, huh? Woo hoo!
"Nuh uh uh"