Introducing, the "Next Generation Pilots" Program!

Discuss the Virtual-On series.
Chhipz

Introducing, the "Next Generation Pilots" Program!

Post by Chhipz »

In an effort to revitalize interest in VOOT, I present to you, the "Peer and Pilot" program. This program will pair up newer players with more experienced players, whom will teach them the insides and outsides of Virtual On.

The below thread is meant to be posted on different forums to spread awareness of the game, as well as recruit more members. I am posting this here first to get feedback from you guys on what can be improved upon for the final release outside these forums. Special thanks to Schooly D, DaveRudolph, PhantomPhotonX, SixFortyFive, and the rest of you guys for help molding this idea to completion!

-START of thread-

The Most Underrated Action Game of All Time

-What is it? To put it simply, Virtual On: Oratorio Tangram (VOOT) is the most intense and competitive 1 vs. 1 mech (called Virtuaroids) fighting/shooting game to ever exist. Gameplay-wise, it far surpasses Mech-Assault, Chrome-Hounds, Gundams, Armored core, and the list goes on. It’s all about dodging a barrage laser beams by the skin on your teeth, while outshooting and maneuvering your opponent all at a blistering pace. Sound interesting? It gets even better. There’s even a close combat system where each Virtuaroid has the opportunity to bring out their melee weapon for up-close beam sword dueling.

*Example video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wuq3aZar ... re=related

This game was originally released on the Sega Dreamcast, but has been rereleased onto the Xbox Live Arcade. I strongly encourage people to try out the demo. The controls take practice, because its original controls played best with arcade twin sticks. But once you get the gist of things, you won’t be able to put this game down.

-This game looks difficult to learn, where and how do I begin? Like any great game, there’s always a learning curve. But practice makes perfect. The more you learn, the more you will enjoy and appreciate the game’s depth.

-“Peer to Pilot” program: To assist the arrival of our newest recruits (you), I’m happy to announce the “Peer to Pilot” program. This program is essentially Shadowrun’s “Adopt a Noob” program. Peers (you) will be paired up with Pilots (experienced players) that will teach you the basics of the game, as well as providing you with essential tips and tricks to utilize your character efficiently.

There are over a dozen Virtuaroids and each play differently. To introduce new players to each of them, Schooly D (an experienced VOOT player) has kindly put together a video for us that briefly demonstrate each character.

*Virtuaroid Demo Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qz1g1auOQ4A

Considering the amount of replayability and depth this game has to offer, the 1200 MS point price tag is a solid purchase. It includes improved graphics, ability to watch and save your videos, full character color customization, online matchmaking, and party lobbies where you and friends can take turns playing one another, or even spectate each other’s matches live!

-Rookie Tournament: As an added incentive, there will be a new rookie tournament held where the winner will attain bragging rights among peers, as well as be rewarded a prize! (Date/ prizes are TBD).

-What’s my next step? Download the demo, and try out the game for yourself. Give it some time, to get used to the controls. If you enjoy it, don’t hesitate to pick it up. There will be a Pilot waiting to show you the ropes of the game, to ensure your learning process is a fun and engaging one.

So what are you waiting for? Gear up, hop in, and assume control of your 50-foot, high-speed death-dealing mech for a thrill like you’ve never experienced.

After you get the full game, post back here with your location, play schedule and the Virtuaroid of your choice so you can immediately be paired with a Pilot and begin your training.

-END of thread-

Please leave constructive feedback. We plan on submitting this to the http://www.mlgpro.com forums (a competitive gaming forum), and perhaps other anime forums as well. The more hype we can generate, the better!

And lastly, the final name of the program is still unconfirmed. If you have any ideas for a name, by all means suggest it!
Last edited by admin on 14 Jun 2010, 21:32, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: updated subject
MasterFygar
Virtual-On Positive

Re: Introducing, the "Peer to Pilot" Program!

Post by MasterFygar »

Excellent idea! I would love to be trained in VOOT by an expert (I have skill... but only OMG, and only in the arcade) but I don't have a 360. If I find a great deal on one, though, I will certainly participate!

It warms my heart to see Virtual On slowly creeping back into popularity again ^_^
ImageImage
milkk

Post by milkk »

i'm down with this.
Alaric14

Post by Alaric14 »

I call SchoolyD as my Cypher tutor! :D I'm addicted to air dashing.
PhantomPhotonX
Virtual-On Positive

Post by PhantomPhotonX »

Very good, Chhipz! It accentuates the positive aspects of the game without being too overwhelming. I can't really think of anything to add. Sega would make a fortune if they hired you to do their advertising.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling but in rising every time we fall."
- Confucius
Chhipz

Post by Chhipz »

PhantomPhotonX wrote:Very good, Chhipz! It accentuates the positive aspects of the game without being too overwhelming. I can't really think of anything to add. Sega would make a fortune if they hired you to do their advertising.
Haha thanks, I'd love to work for Sega someday.

Yeah, I didn't want to overwhelm newer players with too much info. They'll learn as they go along for sure. I plan on posting this either this Monday or Tuesday (6/14 or 6/15) in at least two different locations. One being the MLG forums, and another being a popular anime/gaming site I have yet to decide on.

I really hope this works :mrgreen:
neo helbeast
Virtual-On Positive

Post by neo helbeast »

Chhipz wrote: Gameplay-wise, it far surpasses Mech-Assault, Chrome-Hounds, Gundams, Armored core,
I severly disagree with using these examples. I've always felt that it's closer to Soul Caliber, DoA or Mortal Kombat. It's more fighting game then mech game.
Chhipz

Post by Chhipz »

neo helbeast wrote:
Chhipz wrote: Gameplay-wise, it far surpasses Mech-Assault, Chrome-Hounds, Gundams, Armored core,
I severly disagree with using these examples. I've always felt that it's closer to Soul Caliber, DoA or Mortal Kombat. It's more fighting game then mech game.
I'm not making comparisons of it's similarities with gameplay mechanics stylistically, rather, the mech gameplay as a whole. In other words, this game surpasses all the other mech games in terms of gameplay (because it's faster, more intense, etc.). But I could make a stylistic comparison if you recommend so, to give players a better idea of how it "feels" to play Virtual On.

An update, I'm not releasing this tomorrow, because E3 begins Monday. With the wave of new information bound to surge through forums of all kinds, I wouldn't want this thread to be washed away in the hype. Sega made a similar mistake with the timing of Dreamcast's release, and I'm not about to do the same with this thread. It will be delayed until futher notice :)

And lastly, the program will be changed to NGP, which stands for "Next Generation Pilots" as of now. Thanks for the feedback!
Aryudsoh

Post by Aryudsoh »

Sounds like a great idea. I got the game a couple of weeks back and it really is a lot to take in for a noob like me. Getting trained up by an experienced player would certainly help.
Gamertag: Aryudsoh
DeepInTheHops
Virtual-On Positive

Post by DeepInTheHops »

neo helbeast wrote:
It's not really like any fighting game either, though. It's hard explaining this game to other people because there really isn't anything like it. Except Valforce. ;)
milkk

Post by milkk »

as someone coming from a fighting game background, the concept of spacing, footsies and matchups are pretty prominent. it's like a fighting game to me at least.
MentholMoose
Virtual-On Positive

Re: Introducing, the "Next Generation Pilots" Program!

Post by MentholMoose »

Chhipz wrote:And lastly, the program will be changed to NGP, which stands for "Next Generation Pilots" as of now. Thanks for the feedback!
I updated the thread title to reflect the change.
MentholMoose
Chhipz

Post by Chhipz »

MentholMoose wrote:
Chhipz wrote:And lastly, the program will be changed to NGP, which stands for "Next Generation Pilots" as of now. Thanks for the feedback!
I updated the thread title to reflect the change.
Thanks!

I've been busy lately, but I've always had this program in the back of my mind. Hopefully this will be finalized and released this weekend after E3 is over, and the hype dies down. I'll try releasing it to two different forums, because anything more than that may become tedious to monitor.

I appreciate all the support guys.
Chhipz

Post by Chhipz »

Alright guys, the thread has been officially launched this morning!

Sorry for the delay. The link to the thread is here: http://www.mlgpro.com/forum/showthread. ... ost7114275

I'm going to see how MLG responds to this thread for around a week, then take what I learned and apply it to different forum sites to spread the awareness and NGP further.
MasterFygar
Virtual-On Positive

Post by MasterFygar »

Alright... I bought a 360 yesterday for the sole purpose of getting Virtual On. Lawd, I'm such a nerd @v@

So anyway, I'm in. I don't actually have 15 bucks left for the game (or for the wireless attachment thingie) but I'll get it by then, I swear.

And I've never played VOOT before on any console (my only experience is Marz on PS2 and my VOOM machine) so I ASSUME I qualify for a rookie tournament?
ImageImage
Razgriz450

Post by Razgriz450 »

I would also love to be a part of this.
This sig and avatar are temorary.
Knoxximus
Virtual-On Positive

Post by Knoxximus »

I definitely could use some tutelage. :oops:
Sergeant Knoxximus, Pilot #24 reporting for duty SIR!!