My first experience with VOOT (XBOX 360) ranked matches

Discuss the Virtual-On series.
neo helbeast
Virtual-On Positive

Re: My first experience with VOOT (XBOX 360) ranked matches

Post by neo helbeast »

yktan wrote:Okay, finally got the hang of circular slice (I was pressing the wrong turbo button all along! Didn't know that a clockwise circular slice needs to have the LEFT turbo pressed while an anti-clockwise circular slice needs to have the RIGHT turbo pressed)

(On a side note, I managed to upload a replay. Now....how do I take it down?)

Does anyone have tips for a budding apharmd B player to get close to the opponent?

My concern is that today I fought against a very unsportsmanlike individual who just shot me and ran away from me for the next 10-20 seconds trying to cower behind some obstacles. :(

Seriously ruined my day.
Just upload a new replay to remove the old one.

That's why I play as Dordray. You can't hide behind a wall that has a drilling coming through it. Also he dances when he wins.
guarayakha wrote:I'm pretty sure either turbo would've worked for the circ-slice, I remember doing weird combinations like hold RTurbo, move the LStick and squeezing the RTrigger (at least in the arcades).
It's either or. The turbo and direction pressed is irrelevant.
Schooly D
Virtual-On Positive

Post by Schooly D »

yktan wrote:Okay, finally got the hang of circular slice (I was pressing the wrong turbo button all along! Didn't know that a clockwise circular slice needs to have the LEFT turbo pressed while an anti-clockwise circular slice needs to have the RIGHT turbo pressed)
Which turbo button you press does not matter for a Quick Step or a Quick Step Attack in any direction.
Does anyone have tips for a budding apharmd B player to get close to the opponent?
Lay down a cLTCW whenever you have a spare moment. air-fwd-LW has good tracking so you can use that to chip 10-15% when they get in range.
My concern is that today I fought against a very unsportsmanlike individual who just shot me and ran away from me for the next 10-20 seconds trying to cower behind some obstacles. :(

Seriously ruined my day.
Ah. That's not unsportsmanlike. That's just how the game is played.

First of all, you're using Apharmd B, the undisputed king of close combat. Why should someone voluntarily mix it up with you when the odds are good that, if they do, you're going to demolish them? You have the fastest forward dash in the game and some of the heaviest armor... use it!

Second, VOOT is, by nature, a cat-and-mouse game at intermediate levels and above. The round starts, the two players dance around, someone gets hit, and the chase is on. There are deeper reasons for this, but for now you just have to accept the fact that this is how the game is played. Once someone is comfortable enough with their lead, it's offense-defense. Especially when their opponent is Apharmd "If you get close to me you will die" B.
Made in Malaysia by Kurt Russell and Goldie Hawn
sandsfel

Post by sandsfel »

yktan wrote:My concern is that today I fought against a very unsportsmanlike individual who just shot me and ran away from me for the next 10-20 seconds trying to cower behind some obstacles. :(
For a long time I didn't understand why I am having a bad "Rep" on Xbox Live... saying over 55% of players have left me "unsporting" feedback. But now you explained it! I am a Bal player and I tend to run around the buildings a lot and this must be the reason.

I suggest you to watch other Apharmd B player replays on Xbox Live and please don't give up. Once you get a hang of it, Apharmd B is a very powerful VR and one can hunt his opponent down with his speed.
yktan

Post by yktan »

Hmm. Holding left turbo while keying in a right (anticlockwise) direction + right weapon doesn't result in a circular slice though (or so I've attempted quite a few times).

Okay, I shall persevere. Update you guys once I try a couple more rounds.

As an aside, does anyone wants to "befriend" me on XBLA and be a sparring partner? (I have yet to figure out the mechanics of how to "add a friend." =/)
MentholMoose
Virtual-On Positive

Post by MentholMoose »

yktan wrote:Hmm. Holding left turbo while keying in a right (anticlockwise) direction + right weapon doesn't result in a circular slice though (or so I've attempted quite a few times).
I mostly use LT for CC movement/attacks and dashing and can assure you that it's possible. It's just timing so it will take some time to learn.
MentholMoose
Schooly D
Virtual-On Positive

Post by Schooly D »

yktan wrote:As an aside, does anyone wants to "befriend" me on XBLA and be a sparring partner? (I have yet to figure out the mechanics of how to "add a friend." =/)
What is your gamertag?
Made in Malaysia by Kurt Russell and Goldie Hawn
yktan

Post by yktan »

Okay, my bad. Somehow I really sucked at doing right (anticlockwise) circular slice.

My gamertag is yktan89
Kyper

Post by Kyper »

Added you, I'm a pretty bad Aph B player myself but maybe we can get some mirror games in.
yktan

Post by yktan »

Okay, am back, finally.

Tried playing a couple more rank games. Now my record gets pushed to 9 wins, 38 losses. The wins can be dismissed altogether, unfortunately (since I fought some player who couldn't even play; having a record of 100+ wins, 20000+ losses).

Anyone can "teach" me more advanced dash vectoring methods? I've laid down some scenarios below that I've experienced.

1). Opponent does a side dash attack quite in close proximity to me; does the same, I get hit.

2). Opponent does a side dash quite in close proximity to me, does a forward dash, I get hit.

3). Opponent does a side dash (may or may not have attack), I do a side dash watari to front dash attack, I missed

4). I do a forward dash attack, opponent jump and somehow always hit me. I do the same but somehow their freeze time is always so short =/

I have other queries that need addressing as well.

1). How do you strip an opponent's V-Armour quickly? I always noticed my Aph B having little to no V-Armour left in a fight, whereas it takes my years to cLTRW an opponent's V-Armour down. =/ To what extent must I strip off their V-Armour? 100%? 50%? It depends on my opponent right? So let's assume a Dordray or a Raiden here.....

2). How do you ensure that a normal CC attack has priority over circular slice and dash CC? I execute the move first, but I get damaged when both my opponent and mine attack's connect, or should I disengage if I see it coming?

3). How do you escape from Dordray's Drill rush. Apparently jump cancelling once everytime it circles around me gives me second priority in attacking back.

4). How do I bait my opponent to move/commit to a dash attack? Standing RW shots AND walking RW shots don't really convince raiden players to dash, for example. Instead, the same technique used against me (walking bazookas) forces me to commit. I've tried do a moving crouch RW, but there's slight freeze time which my opponent can leverage on.

5). How do you cancel a circular slice? Pressing guard? Somehow my virtuaroid has delayed reaction once circular slice is executed though.

6). Normally when I "attempt" to force an opponent to commit to a dash attack, I will shoot with standing/moving RW coupled with side dash/dash cancels. To reorientate, I'll do a jump cancel at the end of it all. I've noticed that some opponents used this to their benefit by doing a forward dash attack upon my landing. How can I NOT jump-cancel and yet have the opponent in my direct sight? (for ease of hitting with my straight-fire RW shots)

7). What kind of tornadoes should Aph B players land down? Formerly, I laid down nothing but cCW or dashing cCW. I've read on gamefaqs that cLTCW is effective in tracking down the opponent. However, my cLTCW always gets nullified by opponent's weaponries. Am I doing something wrong here?

8). How do you know when you've successfully done a doi-2 dash?

That's all for now folks. Thanks :)