Share your VO experience or history

Discuss the Virtual-On series.
rvr67michael

Re: Share your VO experience or history

Post by rvr67michael »

Hey Johnson, are you the same person who ran VO Mania??
MentholMoose
Virtual-On Positive

Post by MentholMoose »

JohnxII wrote:Hey Myke mate, I remember you from the forum!
Myke wrote:p.s. anyone know if the old SydVOC forum is archived anywhere? I'd love to get a hand on some of those old posts.
I think Scott might have.
archive.org has some stuff from SYDVOC, but it seems that it doesn't have any forum posts, only some of the topic listings. I don't know if Scott has anything, or if it was all lost during the virtualon dot net catastrophe.
MentholMoose
Knoxximus
Virtual-On Positive

Post by Knoxximus »

Wow...it's like a damn family reunion up in here! :lol:

THIS IS YOUR LIFE, MENTHOL! :mrgreen:
Sergeant Knoxximus, Pilot #24 reporting for duty SIR!!
MentholMoose
Virtual-On Positive

Post by MentholMoose »

Knoxximus wrote:Wow...it's like a damn family reunion up in here! :lol:

THIS IS YOUR LIFE, MENTHOL! :mrgreen:
:lol:
MentholMoose
Vincent Voltaire

Post by Vincent Voltaire »

My entry into the VO franchise is rather... interesting to say the least.

See, back around the release of the Saturn, my folks brought the bundle pack they were advertising, which had Daytona USA, Virtua Cop, and Virtua Fighter 2, as well as the usual demo CD with it. Probably due to sending in the registration card for the Saturn, Sega game us another demo CD to try out several months later entitled "Sega Screams Volume 1." Needless to say, this CD had a demo for what is now known as VO:OM. Even though the demo was only good for one match, I played a lot with that one demo CD alone. (Probably because it was against a Temjim set to the hardest setting, and that the demo allowed access to all the mechs. I knew it was a short ride, but I kept trying all of them out anyway. It also explains how I got used to the controls.)

About a few years later, which I estimate it to be around 98-99, I got a used copy online through Gamestop. I was finally able to try it out, and needless to say, I was finally satisfied in knowing how it all ended. Even though I was unable to get anyone else interested, I was content with it. Also, since I didn't have a Dreamcast, getting VO:OT, was out of the question.

As time when on, with the release of VO:Marz, and various other things, I've always wondered if I'd ever get the chance to play VO:OT, and more importantly, find VO pilots as well. Only within the past year, was I able to get my first match against a opponent, and this was with an official Arcade cabinet during a side trip to Anime Central '08. (I held up my Viper II against his Fei-Yen. S.L.C. FTW.) Though I lost against him 2 to 1, he though I was a worthy opponent, which I though was pretty cool of him.

So now, with the release of VO:OT for the Xbox 360 (which completely caught me off guard when I found about this just weeks before the release), I guess it's time to see if I can make it with the rest of the pilots out there. That,... and hopefully find a way to acquire a Viper II/Cypher/Myrz model kit. :D
Knoxximus
Virtual-On Positive

Post by Knoxximus »

Welcome, fellow pilot! Join the fray! :D
JohnxII

Post by JohnxII »

rvr67michael wrote:Hey Johnson, are you the same person who ran VO Mania??
Who else Mr. S, we have unfinished business with F.P.!

:oops: *coughs* RUNNING not ran, since I've been paying the domain reg and parking for 6 years for nothing LOL. Will fix the frame problem soon, but I forgot the FTP login so just asked the host to reset it...
Vincent Voltaire wrote:... and hopefully find a way to acquire a Viper II/Cypher/Myrz model kit. :D
For Viper II, check these:
http://vo.kotobukiya.co.jp/archives/1639
http://page8.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/h127610859 (Kotobukiya resin kit)
http://page2.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/b38867945 (Wave resin kit)

For Myzr Delta, check this out: http://www.hasegawa-model.co.jp/VIR/vaa2.html
Myzr series GK: http://oyassanh.hp.infoseek.co.jp/myzr.htm

For Cypher, it's kinda difficult now. Look out for the above GK maker, and others on Yahoo JP auction from time to time.
-Johnson
OIIIOIOIIOIOOOIIIOIOIIOIOO
IOOIOIOIOIOIIIOOIOIOIOIOII
"Creativity keeps the world turning" -DNA VR Corps.
anikingVOOT

Post by anikingVOOT »

Hello guys. My account get activated finally.
Im anikingVOOT as is GT.
Born in Japan and moved to US when I was 18 for college.
Im Japanese and not a good english speaker, but Im trying.

OMG, VR Temjin. loved infight.
ver,5.2, VR Aph-B -> Fei-Yen Kn
ver,5.4, VR Fei-Yen Kn ->RAIDEN
ver,5.66, VR RAIDEN

I can use most of VRs. My favs are like this sorted
RAIDEN -> Fei-Yen -> Aph-B -> Temjin -> Grys-Vok -> Bal-Bados -> Aph-C ->
Aph-S -> Dordray -> Specineff -> Angelan -> Stein-Vok -> Cypher -> 1080 -> Ajim

I went back to Japan half year after moved to US, and I played FORCE.
But not really much time to play.
I also played MARZ on PS2. I kinda liked it but still loved ORATAN.

Im so excited that ORATAN is released on XBLA and happy to join you guys.

-Records-
The first official all Japan ORATAN tournament ver5.2
VR Fei-Yen Kn, lost at Kanagawa Area Tournament.

The second official all Japan ORATAN tournament ver,5.4
VR RAIDEN, lost at West Kantou Area Tournament.
I will beat ya at all cost!! I love to win and hate to lose :b
VOOT for life.
MentholMoose
Virtual-On Positive

Post by MentholMoose »

Welcome to the forum!! Sorry for the delay on the activation. :oops: It was cool to finally get to play today! Again, sorry for the lag during that match, my Internet connection has problems. :cry:

Did you happen to attend any of the all Japan ORATAN tournament finals? I've seen a video of the first one (I think it was the first, it's the one with the epic Temjin versus Angelan match)... those VOOT players are interesting, such as the various cosplayers, and the guy wearing a dress for some reason! :lol:
MentholMoose
anikingVOOT

Post by anikingVOOT »

MentholMoose wrote:Welcome to the forum!! Sorry for the delay on the activation. :oops: It was cool to finally get to play today! Again, sorry for the lag during that match, my Internet connection has problems. :cry:
Thank you and Im so excited to be here with you guys.
And It was tough match with you. You are much much better than I expected. That's good.
I believe I could win last match thanks to the lag ;)
MentholMoose wrote:Did you happen to attend any of the all Japan ORATAN tournament finals? I've seen a video of the first one (I think it was the first, it's the one with the epic Temjin versus Angelan match)... those VOOT players are interesting, such as the various cosplayers, and the guy wearing a dress for some reason! :lol:
Year, I attended the FINAL of the 2nd (which was 3on3 ruled tournament).
The cosplayers are from 1st Tournament and some of them are my friends. :lol:
My friend wear costume of girl from evangerion (I forgot which of Ayanami or Asuka), that friend was a guy. Funny or Crazy hah?
I will beat ya at all cost!! I love to win and hate to lose :b
VOOT for life.
DeltastrikeX

Post by DeltastrikeX »

[erased]
Last edited by DeltastrikeX on 16 Dec 2017, 10:20, edited 1 time in total.
cleaning old internet history as malicious people are using it to track me down. Doubt anybody is reading this anyway. Was fun playing with you all!
Mkz717

Post by Mkz717 »

Regards friends! I am an old member of Virtual-On.net's forum( Markinhus // Markyuz ) that lamentably this one has died / closed. I was in touch with AJ.Suson and Game.exe (the one who did a test to manage to do a game fans' VO for fans, nobody it could help too much and he could not do anything, but the project yet is studied by me and to be able to make concrete it

Today I am shaping in 3D and am doing my new weapon in design, I do not know encourage still in 3D but soon I will have material for all you.

About my friend, Game.exe I can show them this:

A short clip of different Temjins:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EFO0jVXM ... 94&index=6

and.. And funny animation AMV
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sSXYL49O ... re=related

To finnish... Im going to show for first time, my first job for V-On in 3D. It isn't a VR ... But I think that everyone dreamed of White Rainbow Knight's temple / castle (Fragmentary Pasage) showed of other angles. Really I did not also ignore the beauty that reflects the image.

http://www.occn.zaq.ne.jp/vc/vr/w_knight.jpg

But I was lucky to realize a Test at university that was demanding from myself that I was doing a temple, and did not have better idea that to do this one.

It isnt exactly equal but under the rules of my examination, I did this:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3383/359 ... c744_o.jpg

I know that I should have used a better Render as V-Ray but this is momentary.

I hope that you are charmed with my contents and I will be expectant of what you speak and do, nowadays I am not in conditions to animate or create a VR, but I am closely together of doing it.

I must practise very much still, but Im Charmed to know that there are so many fanatics of Virtual On and that a lot people have met after VIRTUALON.NET's disappeared
I wait that Game.Exe to us.

It is one of the best.

Excuse my English if you cannot understand me
M k z 7 1 7 (VON.net's Alias: Markinhus)
Quad

Post by Quad »

Hi, my name is Scott Robinson.

My first experience with Virtual-On was in 1999. It was late in the afternoon in the student center of a certain community college in the state of Washington, and I was having a really bad day. And, I needed something to distract me. Having a few bucks in my pocket, I decided playing an arcade game would do the trick.

Up to this point, I hadn't played many video games. My parents never purchased any consoles for the house. And, my favourite "games" on the PC were ZZT and a MUD named LambdaMOO. Neither of those were exactly hallmarked by their flashy graphics and quick speed.

But, I looked around the small arcade in the student center to try to make my decision. There were fighting games like Marvel vs. Capcom, racing games like Daytona USA, and side-scrolling platformers like Metal Slug. None of those looked appealing or unique. But, one cabinet stood out like a sore thumb.

It was big. It had two controllers. It was loud. And the gameplay in the attract mode looked weird as hell. I put two quarters in the left side and sat down to change my life.

It's been a wild 10 years.

I was one of the founding pilots of what was later known as the Auburn Virtual-On Crew. We were a group explicitly without leaders or a membership list; so, if you played, you were always welcome and encouraged. And for at least six years, AVC held "gatherings," threw tournaments, pooled resources for equipment, translated material, started auxiliary branches, published FAQs, and played a LOT of games.

Through the AVC and Virtual-On, I met hundreds of the best people around the world. And, I came to know my best friends. Many of whom are on this forum, wondering why I haven't been posting.

Well, now I've posted. What started as a bad day turned into a good decade. Thanks, everyone, for making Virtual-On the best video game I've ever played.
Mkz717

Post by Mkz717 »

Quad wrote:Hi, my name is Scott Robinson.

My first experience with Virtual-On was in 1999. It was late in the afternoon in the student center of a certain community college in the state of Washington, and I was having a really bad day. And, I needed something to distract me. Having a few bucks in my pocket, I decided playing an arcade game would do the trick.

Up to this point, I hadn't played many video games. My parents never purchased any consoles for the house. And, my favourite "games" on the PC were ZZT and a MUD named LambdaMOO. Neither of those were exactly hallmarked by their flashy graphics and quick speed.

But, I looked around the small arcade in the student center to try to make my decision. There were fighting games like Marvel vs. Capcom, racing games like Daytona USA, and side-scrolling platformers like Metal Slug. None of those looked appealing or unique. But, one cabinet stood out like a sore thumb.

It was big. It had two controllers. It was loud. And the gameplay in the attract mode looked weird as hell. I put two quarters in the left side and sat down to change my life.

It's been a wild 10 years.

I was one of the founding pilots of what was later known as the Auburn Virtual-On Crew. We were a group explicitly without leaders or a membership list; so, if you played, you were always welcome and encouraged. And for at least six years, AVC held "gatherings," threw tournaments, pooled resources for equipment, translated material, started auxiliary branches, published FAQs, and played a LOT of games.

Through the AVC and Virtual-On, I met hundreds of the best people around the world. And, I came to know my best friends. Many of whom are on this forum, wondering why I haven't been posting.

Well, now I've posted. What started as a bad day turned into a good decade. Thanks, everyone, for making Virtual-On the best video game I've ever played.

Scott! I was looking for you! Finally I did it =P, many years ago I was trying to find with Game.exe to continue analyzing the project of Virtual On Univerz ... but calm, it will be possible do something. Surely now we will be able to speak and to arrange this situation to arrange something.

Equal do not compromise yourself, we are only in the idea.

Game.exe could do VO-Univerz's test using an OMG's Raiden but he could not do much any more than it....

This is the test:

VOU: Download
http://rapidshare.com/files/241480239/UNIVERZ.rar.html

(Thanks to Game.exe, you are greate!)
Nusakan

Post by Nusakan »

*waves*

*points finger at Quad* That dude is the reason why I started! *shakes fist* I wasn't a big part/contributer of the AVC tho, more like played with them whenever I had time in between classes or after classes which was a lot apparently. I don't have alot of exposure to VOOT since the only place that had it was like 35 miles away from where I live (10 years ago). My play style for VOOT is very similar to VOOM so i'm REALLY easy to read. I'll get used to VOOT sooner or later tho i would rather play with the twin sticks vs the controller...
Knoxximus
Virtual-On Positive

Post by Knoxximus »

Nice to meet everyone that is coming out of the woodwork! It's like being in the presence of royalty. :mrgreen:

Scott, you are a living legend, my friend. I can only hope that one day I'll be good enough to where you will beat me in 10 seconds rather than 5. 8-)

MKZ717, I really appreciate your dedication....keep it up! :D
Last edited by Knoxximus on 07 Jun 2009, 12:27, edited 1 time in total.
Mkz717

Post by Mkz717 »

I am charmed with find this so fanatical VO's community and I would estimate a lot of power to have a XBOX360 for me to be able fight to all you.

The truth is that my economic reality is reduced to being able to construct my next CPU. A very rapid PC to be able to employed at projects 3D comfortably (including MY PROJECTS VR's MODELS) and in the projects that it demands my Job and also to be able to play including the games emulated of consoles/plataforms of last generation(XBOX360/PS3/Wii).

Core I7, FXF9800GTX +, 8 GB DDR3.

I know that probably for you, this specifications be poor to consider that these pieces should be equivalent to an exquisite machine. But really almost nobody has slightly equivalently in Argentine.

Equally, I have a question...

There exists the possibility of playing VOOT using the XBOX360's emulator??? (Dont matter if I do not obtain Internet service)
Nusakan

Post by Nusakan »

Mkz717 wrote: Core I7, FXF9800GTX +, 8 GB DDR3.
Core I7 is a very nice proc. My Rigg is the Core i7 2.93 GHz @ 4.8GTs, ATI 4870 (I have two but I put the other 4870 to my hackintosh system), with 6GB of DDR3 Ram. The RAM is underclocked right now because the CPU isn't 6.8Gts. Its an engineering sample so I got it for free (cause I work for Intel). No complaints here. I don't do a whole lot on my system so I have too much power and don't know what to do with it LOL. It's always nice to see Crysis on Very High Settings run smoothly at 40fps minimum. Hell, my hackintosh system has a Core2Quad on it and I don't know what to do with all that power.

I mainly use this system for virtualization (VMware if you know them) since that's my focus at work. So I have this system running like 6 other operating systems in parallel.
Mkz717

Post by Mkz717 »

And if you have so much, take advantage of it in games, or in creating things ... or to design, or to edit videoes, or to Modeling 3D.

There are thousand things, inclusive to create programs.

You Will know...
Purple-Tamjin

Post by Purple-Tamjin »

I started out on the Saturn. Living in AZ you don't get anything cool like arcades really. I never knew that there was a thing called the Twin Sticks until later on in life. I remember walking in and seeing something called Virtual On, and reading about it on the back and I knew at that moment it had to be mine.
Gamering Taga: KyuAzier