Saturn Twin Stick question

Discuss the Virtual-On series.
Aryudsoh

Saturn Twin Stick question

Post by Aryudsoh »

I read on this site that the Saturn Twin Sticks are less responsive than the pads. Is this true?

Here's an excerpt:

The most noteworthy aspect of the Saturn releases was their button mapping to the pad (the d-pad represented the left stick, and the buttons represented the right) and the increased responsiveness of the VRs in-game. This is something that the Saturn twinstick controllers tried to artificially correct on the programming side, by having their responsiveness brought into line with the arcade’s slower and more tactical pacing (giving them a distinct disadvantage over anyone who was using the pad).
Gamertag: Aryudsoh
MentholMoose
Virtual-On Positive

Re: Saturn Twin Stick question

Post by MentholMoose »

I don't know, and it's not clear what "programming" makes it "slower". Is it something in the controller electronics, or in the game? I think it's probably the game itself, if the article is correct. It doesn't make sense to me that lag would be programmed into the controller hardware, and I've never heard any complaint from anyone about Saturn TS being lagged (I know many people who used Saturn TS with DC VOOT). In any case, if you are modding Saturn TS for Xbox 360, you don't have to worry about possible lag because you won't be using the existing electronics.

The article author is a member on the forum so you can try to get in touch with him, his profile is here: Cacophanus
MentholMoose
Aryudsoh

Re: Saturn Twin Stick question

Post by Aryudsoh »

I'll be using the Keio converter.

Thanks for the info though. I'll ask the author what he meant by "programming".

Edit: He's confirmed to me that it was the programming in the game and the sticks are fine. Feel free to close this thread now.
Gamertag: Aryudsoh