Articles covering VOOT VER.5.66 for Xbox 360

Discuss the Virtual-On series.
MentholMoose
Virtual-On Positive

Re: Articles covering VOOT VER.5.66 for Xbox 360

Post by MentholMoose »

For doing q-steps, they recommend practising a lot in training mode! :lol:

The possible fixes mentioned are:

Reducing the time to connect for matches, and fixing a bug that causes disconnects.
Replay save bug in player matches.
Adjusting how disconnects are handled (they will reconsider if it counts as a loss), and fixing a possible bug that causes losses to increment even without a disconnect.
Fixing the inability to rotate while walking with the "Standard" control scheme (I didn't know about this one, IMO it's pretty bad if true).
Adding ability to use the d-pad for movement with "Standard" control scheme! This would be huge, except that the 360 d-pad is garbage. :(

They are asking people to wait until the next update for info on official Twin Sticks. Also they mentioned that they are reading the feedback from the sega.jp opinion form.
Long Shadow wrote:And MentholMoose, that's one crazy Mod. Is all that re-wiring really necessary?
It is required if you are using a non-common ground controller, which is why you should not use such a controller for a Twin Stick mod!! Hopefully next week official Twin Sticks will be announced, and all this mess of modding Twin Sticks will be done with. Modded Twin Sticks are selling for about $300 on Yahoo! Japan Auctions, so there is definitely some demand.
MentholMoose
Long Shadow

Post by Long Shadow »

MentholMoose wrote:Fixing the inability to rotate while walking with the "Standard" control scheme (I didn't know about this one, IMO it's pretty bad if true).
What's wrong with that?

It IS funny that they say practice for q-steps. I can do them and q-step attacks easy enough with the 360 controller, though in the heat of battle, I still have problems pulling them off. I have the same success/failure rate as I ever did, be it on the 360 pad, or Twin-Sticks on the DC.

At least the Official Twin-sticks are still a possibility. There was a typo on the new "Column" section update. ツインステック was written instead of ツインスティック, word for twin-sticks, so google doesn't translate it properly. Why did I mention this???.... I wish I knew.
MentholMoose
Virtual-On Positive

Post by MentholMoose »

Long Shadow wrote:
MentholMoose wrote:Fixing the inability to rotate while walking with the "Standard" control scheme (I didn't know about this one, IMO it's pretty bad if true).
What's wrong with that?
Rotating is pretty crucial to the game, and having to stand still to rotate is a disadvantage.
Long Shadow wrote:At least the Official Twin-sticks are still a possibility. There was a typo on the new "Column" section update.
I saw that, too. When I searched the first time I didn't see any mention of Twin Sticks, until I looked more carefully.
MentholMoose
Long Shadow

Post by Long Shadow »

MentholMoose wrote:
Long Shadow wrote:
What's wrong with that?
Rotating is pretty crucial to the game, and having to stand still to rotate is a disadvantage.

Sorry, I thought you meant that it was bad for them to fix this up. My mistake.

Anyway, It's good that they're looking over the game still, now that the people have it in their hands.
DeepInTheHops
Virtual-On Positive

Post by DeepInTheHops »

MentholMoose wrote:The possible fixes mentioned are:
Reducing the time to connect for matches, and fixing a bug that causes disconnects.
Sometimes I get paired up with somebody and then get disconnected right before the match should start (after the screen that shows both people's VRs and records). So that's a bug?

(Sorry if this is common knowledge :oops: )
MentholMoose
Virtual-On Positive

Post by MentholMoose »

DeepInTheHops wrote:Sometimes I get paired up with somebody and then get disconnected right before the match should start (after the screen that shows both people's VRs and records). So that's a bug?
It could be, but I don't really know for sure.
MentholMoose
SaiST

Post by SaiST »

DeepInTheHops wrote:
MentholMoose wrote:The possible fixes mentioned are:
Sometimes I get paired up with somebody and then get disconnected right before the match should start (after the screen that shows both people's VRs and records). So that's a bug?

(Sorry if this is common knowledge :oops: )
I experienced something similar. It's responsible for nearly half of my ranked losses. :(

"So, I was wondering for a while why my loss count for ranked games seem to crawl up bit by bit every time I sign back on to VOOT, now I think I know why. From the start, I've been experiencing frequent dropouts shortly before the matches begin(sometimes a bit afterwards). I think the game counts those as losses, they just don't show up right away.

As for the dropouts, I assumed for the longest that it was due to my, or the opponent's connection. But I always thought it was weird, because it happened frequently even when I matched up with guys with three bars. Earlier this evening, a friend happened to sign on right as a match was starting, and I noticed that my 360 was hanging up(something that usually only happens when I bring up the dashboard. Odd). So, I cleared my cache, got back to VOOT and didn't experience any of that nonsense in the following matches.

I'm still not sure if the dropouts were the cause of those additional losses on my record. It was 53-52 when I called it quits tonight, we'll see if it's the same in the morning... But if any of you are dropping out of matches the way I described, try performing maintenance on your 360's HDD before you hop on VOOT."

"I guess it was due to the dropouts then, numbers were the same when I got back on."

I don't know if this bug and the 360/dashboard hang-ups are related... But try it out, see if it helps. I haven't had any problems with it since then.
MentholMoose
Virtual-On Positive

Post by MentholMoose »

SaiST wrote:But I always thought it was weird, because it happened frequently even when I matched up with guys with three bars.
The bars aren't an indication of connection stability. For the few games I've had with horrible lag and a subsequent disconnection, I think all of them were with three bar connections. Over the weekend I played about 160 ranked matches against Japanese players, all with one bar connections, and it was always fine... I saw almost no lag hiccups and no disconnections.

If you're having a lot of problems, check out your Internet connection. If you're on a LAN, make sure none of the computers have any running P2P software, or viruses. Better yet, just turn off or disconnect the computers when playing. If it's still a problem with no other computers connected, try connecting the Xbox 360 directly to your cable or DSL modem, since a router could cause problems. If it's OK without a router, then check the router settings. I'm using a Cisco PIX router, and although I wasn't getting any disconnects, there were people I couldn't connect to at all. The PIX is old and lacks UPnP support, so I set up a DMZ and now don't have the Xbox 360 going through the router, which helped with the occasional connection problems.
MentholMoose
Testament/Seven7
Virtual-On Positive

Post by Testament/Seven7 »

If the bars aren't an indicator of connection strength, what are they? distance? decoration?

Also, I use cable internet with a newer Netgear router, almost all of my games are fine with only 2 dropouts, and one was due to my internet being flaky that day, but that issue is resolved now.
Marz First Lt. Testament, Temjin pilot

Xbox live gamertag: Lt Testament
MentholMoose
Virtual-On Positive

Post by MentholMoose »

Testament/Seven7 wrote:If the bars aren't an indicator of connection strength, what are they?
Latency. A connection may have low latency (high number of bars), but it doesn't mean the connection will be stable. For example, if a circuit somewhere between you and an opponent is overloaded (mainly due to over-subscription), it can still give low measured latency, since the data sent for getting the latency measurement is small in size and quantity. But, when you establish an actual game session, which uses a large size and quantity of data, the overloaded connection can wreak all sorts of havoc, including disconnections of course. You can also have routers between you and an opponent that have high CPU utilization, which can cause similar symptoms.
MentholMoose
DeepInTheHops
Virtual-On Positive

Post by DeepInTheHops »

SaiST wrote:From the start, I've been experiencing frequent dropouts shortly before the matches begin(sometimes a bit afterwards). I think the game counts those as losses, they just don't show up right away.
Does it count as a loss even if the match hasn't started yet? If so, that really sucks. I've had disconnects happen in the middle of matches, but most of them occur right before the match starts.
MentholMoose wrote:If you're having a lot of problems, check out your Internet connection. If you're on a LAN, make sure none of the computers have any running P2P software, or viruses. Better yet, just turn off or disconnect the computers when playing.
Yeah, I've learned to only play VOOT when I'm home alone. :x
Cacophanus

Post by Cacophanus »

MentholMoose wrote:For doing q-steps, they recommend practising a lot in training mode! :lol:
Yeah! Not really very helpful that (for people without modded sticks)!

Fingers crossed for the official sticks :D
Long Shadow

Post by Long Shadow »

Another Official Site update.

Looks like the fate of the official Twin-sticks is still undecided. A better translation would be nice.

http://vo-ot360.sega.jp/column.html

http://translate.google.com.au/translat ... =Shift_JIS
Testament/Seven7
Virtual-On Positive

But there appears to be a note at the bottom about a premium theme, very nice if so ^^

SaiST

Post by SaiST »

Premium theme and pics hit the Marketplace tomorrow, seems like. Guess it would be safe to assume the US Marketplace'll be getting 'em too, no?

And is that really all they had to say about the Twinsticks? What was the point of mentioning them in last week's update? :lol:
Testament/Seven7
Virtual-On Positive

SaiST wrote:
And is that really all they had to say about the Twinsticks? What was the point of mentioning them in last week's update? :lol:
to keep us watching the updates, it's aggravating, but it's a great cliffhanger. :P

and if i understand it right, apperently, last weeks announcement was abit premature, or this weeks announcement was. Either way, Sega knows how to keep us in suspense don't they?

Knoxximus
Virtual-On Positive

Post by Knoxximus »

Hey Menthol...what makes you think sticks will be announced soon? You see it somewhere or just a hunch/wish you hope will come true? I hope it comes to pass as well! :D
Sergeant Knoxximus, Pilot #24 reporting for duty SIR!!
MentholMoose
Virtual-On Positive

Post by MentholMoose »

Knoxximus wrote:Hey Menthol...what makes you think sticks will be announced soon? You see it somewhere or just a hunch/wish you hope will come true? I hope it comes to pass as well! :D
I'm thinking the long delay for a confirmation (either way) is a good sign. It would be pretty horrible to string everyone along this long only to shatter everyone's hopes.
MentholMoose