Share your VO experience or history

Discuss the Virtual-On series.
MurderDeathKill

Re: Share your VO experience or history

Post by MurderDeathKill »

My first real experience with Virtual On was about a year after the game's arrival Stateside: I was visiting Walt Disney World, and an arcade inside the park had a machine. Recognizing the game from an article in EGM, I immediately plunked in a few quarters and fired it up. Naturally, thinking the name "Viper II" was badass, I chose that and immediately got my ass kicked by CPU Dorkas, I managed to eventually make it to Jaguarandi, where I also got obliterated and eventually gave up.

Fast forward a few years, and my parents got me a new PC to replace my old 486, which had died after years of use and abuse, and guess what it had? The PC version of Virtual On. Of course, remembering my good memories of the game a few years back, I immediately proceeded to play the living crap out of it. It would be years until I learned (from discovering the arcade version at a local arcade) how much different the 2 versions were (not enough that I didn't manage to beat the CPU with my Viper skills).

Skip forward yet more years; I was in college, had my own part-time job, and I had some extra money. I go to a nearby used music store, and sitting on a shelf was a used copy of Virtual On: Oratorio Tangram for the Dreamcast. Though I knew of the existence of the game from the internet, I never had money of my own to get a Dreamcast and the game (yeah, I was pretty poor). So, of course, I put down the money for a Dreamcast and that used copy of VOOT. And I play the crap out of it, by myself (nobody I knew would play it), watched videos, read translations of OMR, was a member of the virtualon.net forums, etc. Eventually, I get MARZ (I also eventually got my hands on a PS2) for the laughs, and that's pretty much the end of the story until over a month ago, with VOOT for my 360. Where I finally got the chance to play other people... FOR THE FIRST TIME!!!1

So yeah, I look forward to growing in my Cypher skills and (hopefully) watching the U.S. Virtual On community experience a bit of a revival. If not? Well, Japan seems to have plenty of players to match wits with.
MentholMoose
Virtual-On Positive
Gamertag: MentholMoose
PSN: MentholMoose_

Post by MentholMoose »

MurderDeathKill wrote:was a member of the virtualon.net forums, etc.
Cool! What was your nickname on vo.net?
MentholMoose
Mkz717

Post by Mkz717 »

MentholMoose wrote:
MurderDeathKill wrote:was a member of the virtualon.net forums, etc.
Cool! What was your nickname on vo.net?
and... MentholMoose... what was your nickname on vo.net?

I would like to know whom of all of us were vo.net's members...

If it was true, we might open a topic to be able to play also in OMG

( I know it ...it's an excuse to fight, I do not have XBOX360 but yes I have PC with OMG and want to fight knowing that is a better VOOT that OMG, I want to demonstrate that I am a good pilot VR, since in the epoch at which vo.net was opened still )
M k z 7 1 7 (VON.net's Alias: Markinhus)
MentholMoose
Virtual-On Positive

Post by MentholMoose »

Mkz717 wrote:and... MentholMoose... what was your nickname on vo.net?
It was, wait for it... "MentholMoose". :D
MentholMoose
Mkz717

Post by Mkz717 »

MentholMoose wrote:
I thought it, but I doubted, imagine that a common person has difficulties to remember these classes of things after 3 or 4 years (since VO.NET closed)
Knoxximus
Virtual-On Positive

Post by Knoxximus »

MentholMoose wrote:
:o :shock: :? :| :mrgreen:
Sergeant Knoxximus, Pilot #24 reporting for duty SIR!!
Mkz717

Post by Mkz717 »

Knoxximus wrote:
MentholMoose wrote:
:o :shock: :? :| :mrgreen:
LOL ??? hahaha

I wanna play voot and i cant!!!!! :| :x :cry:
MurderDeathKill

I'm pretty sure it was MurderDeathKill, like here, actually.
CrouchingLiger

Post by CrouchingLiger »

My first VOOT experience was at a Super Just Games before it shut down about five years ago. Had no idea what I was doing, but the colour, pace, and general style of the game had huge appeal. Ironically, I played as Temjin in the arcade, who I now avoid with a passion because freakin everyone uses him. I only got in several games because the arcade machine was too damn expensive and my money was needed to fund other *ahem* activities (gamertag= NigelK420). One of my buddies informed me it was coming to XBLA and I scooped it up after playing the demo. Tried out Grys-Vok for awhile but I was craving a speed boost so I switched to Fei-Yen and haven't looked back. I'm a pretty casual VOOT player, always down for friendly headset chats, and very accepting of criticism (after all, I do want to get better).
MurderDeathKill

CrouchingLiger wrote:Super Just Games before it shut down about five years ago.
Wait, I thought Super Just Games became Nickel City Northbrook. :?:

Also, where are you located? I never thought I would meet a Chicago VO player ever.
CrouchingLiger

Post by CrouchingLiger »

MurderDeathKill wrote:
CrouchingLiger wrote:Super Just Games before it shut down about five years ago.
Wait, I thought Super Just Games became Nickel City Northbrook. :?:

Also, where are you located? I never thought I would meet a Chicago VO player ever.
You're right, but Super Just Games underwent a downgrade upon becoming Nickel City. They still have a classic machine here and there (old Simpsons arcade comes to mind), but their equipment is in bad shape and the sticks aren't what they used to be.

I'm located west of Northbrook in Buffalo Grove. I'm yet to meet a VO player from IL, good to know there a few out there.
White

Post by White »

Another Northern Chicago Suburbs player here. Skip to third paragraph for more on that. Saw the game (VOOM) originally at Navy Pier when I was a micron, played it and was completely amazed. Years later saw it at Super Just Games in Northbrook, played it on the rare occasions I was there. Actually when I first got my license I think the first thing I did was pick up my friend and drive there to play, haha.

Years later my friend had it on DC but I hated the controls and the disk got scratched pretty quickly so didn't play much. At some point I figured out people were selling the cabinets on Ebay and dreamed of buying them. When flush one day bought twinsticks and a saturn off ebay. Didn't figure out that the twinsticks were from Japan until checkout and it was huge money. Guy gave me a break on price and eventually they showed up... and I never opened them for some reason. So I've had a box covered in Japanese writing in my closet for a while, and always feared the day my brother would open it. Got Marz, played it like crazy, me and aforementioned buddy were huge into coop so it was fun.

About a year ago while messing around on Ebay at work saw a dude in Deerfield, IL selling two DCs, two Twinsticks, and all the connectors and stuff for everything pretty cheap. He and his friends used to play all the time and he had it a sweet setup. Met the guy and bought everything, unfortunately to "test" the equipment I played my brother, who I brought along with the words "You're going to kill me when I show you what I got on ebay." Never got a chance to test his skills.

So yeah long story. Haha. Currently am a terrible player apparently, can only win with Grys-Vok. I'm just complete trash otherwise, it's really upsetting. I'll completely stuff a Armphad-B in CC somehow and get pumped so switch to any other robot, and just get destroyed.

Any other Chicago people? Pretty crazy that a bunch of us played at Super Just Games over there. I guess a lot of people were intrigued by it. Since you guys seem surprised others exist it'd be cool to have some sort of meet. I'd love to play other good people on twinsticks, my friends are too competitive to continually lose to me and my brother has developed a umm unique style for Dorkas or Dordray or whatever he's called that has to be seen to be believed. Ugh gotta stop before this essay get's any longer.
GT: Defiantmofo (Roommate's!)
CrouchingLiger

Post by CrouchingLiger »

White wrote: So yeah long story. Haha. Currently am a terrible player apparently, can only win with Grys-Vok. I'm just complete trash otherwise, it's really upsetting. I'll completely stuff a Armphad-B in CC somehow and get pumped so switch to any other robot, and just get destroyed.

Any other Chicago people? Pretty crazy that a bunch of us played at Super Just Games over there. I guess a lot of people were intrigued by it. Since you guys seem surprised others exist it'd be cool to have some sort of meet. I'd love to play other good people on twinsticks, my friends are too competitive to continually lose to me and my brother has developed a umm unique style for Dorkas or Dordray or whatever he's called that has to be seen to be believed. Ugh gotta stop before this essay get's any longer.
I think that's how it is for a lot of players. I main with Fei-Yen and do alright but if I try to switch over to Cypher I get decimated, of course his wafer-thin armor doesn't help. If you've got twin sticks I'm sure we can round up some Chicago players and get some matches going. I'm so used to the 360 controller, I'll definitely need a few warm up matches to adjust.
jiakhang

Post by jiakhang »

Home ground : Ang Mo Kio Funland (Closed)

Short story : I am big fan of VOOM and VOOT 5.2. I have created the first Singapore fan club and also the most comprehensive VOOT 5.2 guide in 1998 to 2000.

SiVOC - Singapore Virtual On Club
http://underworld.fortunecity.com/sinbad/796/

Unofficial VOOT 5.2 Guide
http://www.fortunecity.com/underworld/asteroids/700/

I started off with VOOM in 1997, playing mostly Temjin and Viper II (my favorite). Although I love Viper II for the "guess my next move" mind games (44 straight wins!!), Temjin emerged as the best all rounder because of all its nasty tricks (machine gunning, freeze cancels, moonwalks, wall piercing gliding ram, big 2, circular CC dance etc).

When VOOT came out, I switched to Cypher, Fei-yen and Specineff. I had built up a fan club of 40 players that last till the end of December 2000 when I decided to move on with my life. I got tourneys going, weekly games and such, ah all beautiful memories. That's too much to be listed here, and my interest was ignited when 5.66 is released for xbox360. (net game !!)

Currently I am trying to build my own sticks as I believe that this game is unique and playable only because of the sticks.
feixaq

Post by feixaq »

Jia Khang -- wow, a name I haven't heard for a VERY long time. It's me, Chris Tan. How are you doing? Any other Singapore VOOT players on XBL nowadays?
neoKEN
Virtual-On Positive
Gamertag: neoKEN360

Post by neoKEN »

feixaq wrote:Jia Khang -- wow, a name I haven't heard for a VERY long time. It's me, Chris Tan. How are you doing? Any other Singapore VOOT players on XBL nowadays?
Wow! So you are the Chris Tan that wrote those nice VOOT guides on gamefaqs? They are very helpful!
VR: Bal-bados, Angelan, ALL.
See you on IRC! Server: EFNET Channel: #VIRTUALON
Virtual-On Videos from Japan, NA, & EU http://www.youtube.com/xneoken
feixaq

Post by feixaq »

Yes, that would be me. That was a *very* long time ago :geek:
jiakhang

Post by jiakhang »

feixaq wrote:Jia Khang -- wow, a name I haven't heard for a VERY long time. It's me, Chris Tan. How are you doing? Any other Singapore VOOT players on XBL nowadays?
None yet. Let me build my sticks so I can stick some daggers into people online. Once i get the sticks done, I will run out to the nearest mall, buy a xbox360 and buy VOOT 5.66 immediately.
MentholMoose
Virtual-On Positive

Post by MentholMoose »

feixaq wrote:Yes, that would be me. That was a *very* long time ago :geek:
I remember reading them back in 2000!
jiakhang wrote:Let me build my sticks so I can stick some daggers into people online. Once i get the sticks done, I will run out to the nearest mall, buy a xbox360 and buy VOOT 5.66 immediately.
You sound like me! :lol: I finished my Twin Sticks, then bought an Xbox 360 a few days before VOOT was released! If you need any help with the modding, just ask... and of course there are tons of pics and info on the forum already.
MentholMoose
jiakhang

Post by jiakhang »

MentholMoose wrote:You sound like me! :lol: I finished my Twin Sticks, then bought an Xbox 360 a few days before VOOT was released! If you need any help with the modding, just ask... and of course there are tons of pics and info on the forum already.
The idea of playing of VOOT without using the twin sticks is too revolting to even contemplate.
Or maybe I should ...

Cypher walks in with RW firing, gets into CC range, swings right sword with RW, cancel into side step to the left, cancel into jump cancel, fire LW+LT daggers, cancel into side step to the left again, jump cancel, swings fast right sword with crouch RW, jump cancel, swings right sword with crouch RW for another hit, jump, SLC in the face for the win... wooooooot rapid CC combos... only with sticks.

Yes all the above can be executed very quickly with sticks in a flash. The Cypher CC dance of death, only Fei-Yen is faster, but Apharmd B is more deadly.