Share your VO experience or history

Discuss the Virtual-On series.
NGEFreek
Gamertag: NGE42

Re: Share your VO experience or history

Post by NGEFreek »

Davo87 wrote:Yo
U mite get to see most DC games coming to 360. Ikaruga already downloadable. Marvel vs capcom is coming and other rumored SEGA titles.
Yeah, I saw that Ikaruga and Trigger Heart Excelica are already up as well as Rez, but since I don't have a high-def setup just yet, I'm not too worried about it, plus having a physical disk to use on a system makes my mysterious parts tingle with joy.
MentolMoose wrote:Wow, NGEFreek! It's been a long time. I guess the last time was at SHGL. It's definitely awesome to play with different opponents, because style and tactics can vary tremendously. Hopefully this new release will be popular online.

It's great to see some old school players! And of course it's nice to see some new faces, too.
Yeah. quite a while, but I stumbled back on this page since the 360 VOOT thread on the other forum I frequent is starting to gain some activity :D

I'm hoping for some new competition as well, but am kinda worried that we will see an influx of Angelan abusers, with her cheapass v armor and all ;) But thats ok, I can tear most of them up with Fei-Yen Kn or Cypher :D Will be very very interesting to see how many kinda of players are out there, for sure.
evenpar123 wrote:Sup NGEFreek. Is it from GameFAQs that I remember you?
Yeah, probably, I only realy posted on the Pokemon Pearl/Diamond board for a while when I was killing time with that game, otherwise I might have had a review up for something ages and ages ago, so who knows.
RVR - 42 wrote:Loving that avatar NGSFreek. Viper...Cypher...Myzr, love all the successors and precessors of Cypher. :) So good to see this place fill up. Very good to be in a community that shares my same history and love of such an epic series.:D
I forget where I came across all the chibi versions of the VOOT VR's but I saved em and someone made them into a gif for me, I still like em :)

I hear you about being close to people who share your intrests, always a good thing.
MentholMoose
Virtual-On Positive
Gamertag: MentholMoose
PSN: MentholMoose_

Post by MentholMoose »

NGEFreek wrote:Yeah. quite a while, but I stumbled back on this page since the 360 VOOT thread on the other forum I frequent is starting to gain some activity :D
Have a link to that "other" forum? I am crazy about VOOT so I like to read what people think. Although, most of the threads on various sites that I've seen are relatively similar. Basically a lot of "a control pad is unusable" versus "it is excellent", and "the graphics suck" versus "who cares about graphics".
NGEFreek wrote:I'm hoping for some new competition as well, but am kinda worried that we will see an influx of Angelan abusers, with her cheapass v armor and all ;) But thats ok, I can tear most of them up with Fei-Yen Kn or Cypher :D Will be very very interesting to see how many kinda of players are out there, for sure.
I am very interested in this subject. I can't wait to see the ratio between new and old players, and the total number of players. Among new players, I actually expect to see more usage of Fei-Yen KN. Besides being cute (hmm, a "cute" robot... that's somewhat creepy), my understanding of VOOT history is that Fei-Yen KN was the most abused VR in the early days, and was used to win many early tournaments. If used cheaply---err, "correctly," Fei-Yen KN is relatively powerful against beginning or intermediate players.
MentholMoose
RVR - 42
Virtual-On Positive

Post by RVR - 42 »

Heck yea NGE, link us to that other forum. The VO community must reign supreme over these interwebs! :P I remember seeing those Chibi Vrs somewhere too. This place had ones for the Force/Marz Vrs too, I believe. Anyone here ever play Super Robot Wars 3? I wonder how awesome they made Hatter, 747 and Fei-Yen in that game.

As for what people will be using. I'm expecting lots of Temjins and Apharmd Ss. Apharmd S looks like he'd be a good choice to beginners...little do they know. xD!
"Nuh uh uh"
NGEFreek

Post by NGEFreek »

Sure thing:
http://www.the-nextlevel.com

Click on Forums -> Gaming Discussion and the thread should be about halfway down the first page.

Anyway, I don't see how Fei-Yen can be played "cheaply" :roll: :geek:

Also, I ended up finding my DC linker and I [aid $2.99 minus 25% off, lol. Good times.
MentholMoose
Virtual-On Positive

Post by MentholMoose »

NGEFreek wrote:Sure thing:
http://www.the-nextlevel.com

Click on Forums -> Gaming Discussion and the thread should be about halfway down the first page.
Thanks.
NGEFreek wrote:Anyway, I don't see how Fei-Yen can be played "cheaply" :roll: :geek:
You will, soon enough I imagine. Basically, she can abuse her speed easily.
MentholMoose
circuscommando
Virtual-On Positive

Post by circuscommando »

ugh, i used cypher today, besides the airplane attack (which i can't pull off) i can't see how people like her(/him/it?) the attacks are fairly weak (maybe i've been playing too much raiden and dordray) and long distance is difficult to pull off.
MentholMoose
Virtual-On Positive

Post by MentholMoose »

circuscommando wrote:ugh, i used cypher today, besides the airplane attack (which i can't pull off) i can't see how people like her(/him/it?) the attacks are fairly weak (maybe i've been playing too much raiden and dordray) and long distance is difficult to pull off.
VOOT is weird like that... the VRs have their own appeal to different people. :)
MentholMoose
RVR - 42
Virtual-On Positive

Post by RVR - 42 »

circuscommando wrote:ugh, i used cypher today, besides the airplane attack (which i can't pull off) i can't see how people like her(/him/it?) the attacks are fairly weak (maybe i've been playing too much raiden and dordray) and long distance is difficult to pull off.
How dare you!? But yea...he is pretty weak. Compared to Dordray and Raiden for sure. That airplane attack...hmm, the SLC dive[the one you can't control well?]...it's jump, forward dash and CW I believe. :P But yea...VOOT has this special thing...where certain Vrs appeal to certain people. So strange. I don't think I could ever love playing as Bal Bados though? Or Angelan for that matter. Haha
"Nuh uh uh"
NGEFreek

Post by NGEFreek »

I agree with the different VRs for different people. I've always been one to go for speed over power in characters, thus my love for Fei-Yen and Cypher (or maybe just female characters in general) but not to like playing as Bal? How is that even possible, hes one of the coolest just because of all his forms and his idle animation is ace, tops, the bomb diggity.
circuscommando
Virtual-On Positive

Post by circuscommando »

NGEFreek wrote:I agree with the different VRs for different people. I've always been one to go for speed over power in characters, thus my love for Fei-Yen and Cypher (or maybe just female characters in general) but not to like playing as Bal? How is that even possible, hes one of the coolest just because of all his forms and his idle animation is ace, tops, the bomb diggity.
just couldn't get into it, i'm not good at controlling dashes yet, and for that matter special-er moves.
Turbovec

Post by Turbovec »

My turn now!!! D:<

My first ever encounter with VO was in the form of a VOOM machine at the local laser-tag arcade in my hometown. I was in the third grade and spent my first real sit-down at my birthday party. I was amazed by the game, choosing Temjin the first time because he's the awesome robot on the side of the machine. I made it through stages one and two with ease, finally losing to the n00b-killer that is Dorkas. After several attempts with other VRs, I eventually settled on Raiden, landing a series of lucky CW shots. By the time I made it to stage four, I was dragged off from the game for my cake and icecream.

I was in love, every time I saw the game, I had to play. One day, shmoozing through a CompUSA, I noticed the game was available for PC, because at that time I had no idea what a Saturn was, I had my Genesis and Vectorman. And to think the game was utilizing state-of-the-art MMX chipset technology! I convinced my father not only to buy one game, but two for each pc for LAN battles with my friends (they were on sale) and he even got two Sidewinder controllers (lol, gameports). After a while I wanted to know more, such as, how the hell do I beat the crap out of Jaguarandi? Hopping onto Compuserv, I found Gamewinners.com, seeing nothing there (and being ignorant too) I decided to post the movelist for others, including specials and the actual weapon attack names. It was soon that I found my first active VO community, SYDVOC. I joined and continued on my quest across the interwebz for all that was VO. I eventually landed on GameFAQs, where I had my first encounter with the US community. I promptly posted the most trash-talk-infested message on the VO board, claiming I was the greatest thing ever. MentholMoose quickly shot me down, and was later accompanied by the rest of the VO posse. I learned my place and leveled out, hey, I was still in elementary school afterall!

I at this point, just like everyone on GameFAQs, migrated back onto SYDVOC, where I was an active participant in the forums, even the old java-based chat client. During this golden era, with the VOOT release just occuring, new content was abundant. I recall reading the preview in Gamefan magazine, the two-page spread clad in screenshots and detailed CG. I bought my SD VR set off ebay, even snagging a DNA Temjin VOOT figure. I spent hours browsing the net across sites like virtualonfan, vo411, SiVOC, I even started putting my own site together. Then I found the motherload of all VO knowledge, Playaz Main Street. Having never browsed foreign sites, I struggled at first, but eventually made my way around. The knowledge, the fanart, everything overwhelming, and I finally gave up on holding out for the PS2, I needed a Dreamcast! It was my 11th birthday, the day that forever changed my life as a gamer. I opened my one gift, finding the box to a computer case. I was perplexed, and disappointed, while a new computer was awesome, it wasn't what I desired. My dad told me to open the box, pulling the cardboard up, I saw it, staring back at me, a new, factory-sealed copy of Cyber Troopers Virtual On: Oratorio Tangram, and I knew it, my afternoons, my social life, were just jettisoned into the void of space. Virtual On was all I saw and knew.

I only had the pad, but I quickly got accustomed to it, the so-called impossible controls tamed, working for me the best they could. It was the summer of my transition to a new school, the summer between elementary and Jr. High. I mentioned on the boards that I was going on a trip to Yosemite and a trip to SoCal after to visit the grandparents. I was informed of the location of a VOOT cabinet at SHGL. I was planning on hitting Golfland up for it was at this point where I found my love for 2D fighters, so I had to go play the newly released CvS2, the imported KoF2K1 and GGX and of course, enter a MvC2 tournament, the VOOT machine was just icing on the already overloaded cake. All in all, I ended up going to SHGL twice, the first time was for VOOT. It was my first encounter with the crew, and I was nothing but a punk. MentholMoose was welcoming, I kinda watched for the mostpart, taking it all in, seeing others, better than me, in person, it was the most amazing thing. I finally sat down for the first time, RNA side, instinctively choosing Grys-Vok. I didn't last too long, I was nervous, my system overflowing with adrenaline, the hype was so intense. I got up and walked to the back of the group, somehow feeling accomplished even though I was annihilated. I starting talking with some of the others, striking up a good conversation to the trenchcoat-clad Eli. When the night was over, I felt like I was on top of the world, meeting people who had a passion for the same game as me. I came back later in the week for the MvC2 tournament, I was knocked out first match, but I didn't care, I had the VOOT machine to myself now. I played and played, until I was finally beaten by a Raiden user, who made me fear energy cages and gave me nightmares for days. But I kept on challenging him, it was Mano-a Mano, and that's all that mattered. I left SoCal with the fondest of memories that to this day I keep.

Fast forward to next summer, I was basking in the glory of my newly obtained VO keychain minions that would terrorize the boards and forever be known in the community. CvS2 and MvC2 were going strong, Japan and the fighting scene had GGXX fever, and most importantly, Arcade Infinity had 5.66. One again, a meet-up was arranged. MentholMoose and his crew were there, most with their VMUs and custom VR schemes. This time I faired much better, beating the winning players, ultimately only losing to MentholMoose in a Grys-Vok mirror match that went 5 out of 5 rounds thanks to wacky Arcade Infinity settings. It was clear, I finally was recognized as a competent VO player, I could now hold my own. Me and MM talked off and on, I asked how he was able to customize his VRs, I only assumed you could to that with a Japanese VOOT copy. He told me about the the 5.66 Customize disc, even running out to his car to give me a copy of my own. After everyone left, I still had my massive pocket of tokens, so I went to waste them on GGXX, the 27 winstreak at SHGL earlier in the week apparently not enough. I wasn't on my a-game like I was that night, I could only think about the next time I would get to play skilled players, hoping the day would come sooner than later.

Time flows, everyone moves on. The community dwindled, only the hardcore/stubborn staying and idling in the #virtualon channel on IRC. Other games were popping up, and with school being more of a focus, I wasn't able to make it down to SoCal again, and before I knew it, the 5.66 machine was gone. I eventually picked up my first pair of twinsticks the same year, using massive hardware clamps to keep them from moving on my desk. Senior year of Highschool was upon me, and due to personal issues, I moved to live with my mother in TX, where I remain today. Virtualon.net finally died, I knew it was only a matter of time and like that, the community for the mostpart was gone. Many of the other elder community members stayed in contact, but thanks to college, I wasn't around and fell out of touch. MM finally IMed me one evening/early morning, informing me about DC Emulation, and linking me to his new forum. I joined without hesitation, my loyalty to the scene never faltering, and before everyone knew it, 5.66 for the 360 was announced, leading us to where we are today.

It might be a game, and it certainly isn't the most important thing in my life. But, there is no denying, that Virtual On has shaped and changed my life forever.
RVR - 42
Virtual-On Positive

Post by RVR - 42 »

*appluads* Turbovec...that was wonderful. Hahah! Like really...fantastic. You remind me alot of myself. Definitely with the love of 2D Fighters and all. :) I would've so loved to have been able to play in the arcade with seasoned veterans...even if I would get my butt kicked, the experience[as you said] must've been amazing. Life-altering to a degree. For a game so little known about around these parts...meeting someone I could talk to VO about in person...would be euphoric. Absolute blissful conversation. I do hope to meet some of you one day...even if we aren't playing VO...just to talk, that would be rewarding beyond means.

Edit: Oh yea...about Bal..yea NGE, I like his concept and idea. But actual gameplay...I don't know. I know Bal-Bados I can't stand[looks so dumb when he walks/runs XD]. Bal-Keros is pretty cool, but Bal-Baros[is this the one you can only access while fighting Tangram...basically for "in free space" fights only] is actually like...the bomb. Love his huge thrusters and sick attacks. That big energy bomb thing...did that by accident one day when I was still learning how to work the game...I like...ruined my pants, the carpet and my bed. That schick was sick.
"Nuh uh uh"
MentholMoose
Virtual-On Positive

Post by MentholMoose »

Turbovec wrote:I eventually landed on GameFAQs, where I had my first encounter with the US community. I promptly posted the most trash-talk-infested message on the VO board, claiming I was the greatest thing ever. MentholMoose quickly shot me down, and was later accompanied by the rest of the VO posse. I learned my place and leveled out, hey, I was still in elementary school afterall!
I almost forgot your GameFAQs debut! :lol:
Turbovec wrote:During this golden era, with the VOOT release just occuring, new content was abundant. I recall reading the preview in Gamefan magazine, the two-page spread clad in screenshots and detailed CG.
I actually met the author of the Gamefan preview at E3, when I was demoing the US release at the Activision booth. He was a hard core VOOT fanatic!
Turbovec wrote:It might be a game, and it certainly isn't the most important thing in my life. But, there is no denying, that Virtual On has shaped and changed my life forever.
Same here. Thanks for the great post.
MentholMoose
Knoxximus
Virtual-On Positive

Post by Knoxximus »

Howdy all...

Hmm, let's see...where to begin...

My 1st time ever playing Virtual On was in an arcade in Korea when I was stationed there in the Army from '96-'98. It was VOOM I guess you call it. Now, I wasn't like super awesome at it like most of you guys...hey I barely knew what I was doing, but what I DID know, was that the game was pure, uncut magic. It was such a joy to play, and to me the controls reminded me of Street Fighter II. Not in a literal sense, but in the sense that, like in SF2, you felt at one with your character, like it was an extension of you...a kind of oneness that only you guys would probably understand without thinking I was weird. It was like all my wild big anime robot dreams manifested, with an interface that just felt *right*.

Like I said, I never got very good at it (I was more into Street Fighter and cheap bootleg PS1 games at the time), but whenever I was at that particular arcade, I always played a few games. I have a lot of respect for the game.

Never got too much into the home version of it, as I never got a Saturn and couldn't get into VOOT with the pad. Time passed and I damn near forgot all about it. Then, they XBLA announcement washed a wave of nostalgia and excitement over me so hard, I actually having trouble sleeping.

I hope to get into it this time like you guys are, as best as I can. I have a 2 month old, am in school for nursing, and work, but to me, this is new and exciting! My money is better now, so I've gotten a hold of a Saturn Twin Stick, and will be watching the thread for modding it VERY closely. I also wrote an article pleading Sega to give us some 360 VOOT sticks!

http://thefour11.org/2009/03/22/sega-i- ... k-for-360/

So, I hope you have room for a n00b around here...I promise not to be irritating, and will definitely read up before asking anything. If you read the article above, you'll see that I've been doing my homework. I'm here to soak up the knowledge, so that I can hold my own online in a few weeks. ^_^
Sergeant Knoxximus, Pilot #24 reporting for duty SIR!!
Davo87
Virtual-On Positive

Post by Davo87 »

Thats ok u havent played VOOT. Its like an extension of VOOM. I still enjoy VOOM, but I go, why go back when VOOT is more awesome in so many aspects. Before the DC version was released, the arcade VOOT was like a distant dream.
Last edited by Davo87 on 25 Mar 2009, 21:55, edited 1 time in total.
MentholMoose
Virtual-On Positive

Post by MentholMoose »

Welcome to the forums! I too am hoping for an official release of Twin Sticks for the Xbox 360. I'd also consider a 3rd party version, but it would have to be top quality. However, now that I'm done modding Dreamcast Twin Sticks, I don't really have to buy any new version. Plus even if a very high quality version is released, I doubt it would be any better than what I will be putting together next (i.e. modded arcade Twin Sticks).
MentholMoose
Knoxximus
Virtual-On Positive

Post by Knoxximus »

MentholMoose wrote:Welcome to the forums! I too am hoping for an official release of Twin Sticks for the Xbox 360. I'd also consider a 3rd party version, but it would have to be top quality. However, now that I'm done modding Dreamcast Twin Sticks, I don't really have to buy any new version. Plus even if a very high quality version is released, I doubt it would be any better than what I will be putting together next (i.e. modded arcade Twin Sticks).
Thanks Menthol. I'm really anxious for you to finish your modding tutorials for the DC and Saturn sticks. :mrgreen:
Sergeant Knoxximus, Pilot #24 reporting for duty SIR!!
RVR - 42
Virtual-On Positive

Post by RVR - 42 »

Knoxximus, welcome. So good to see you here. Each new member is like a new family member, it seems. We're so small and close knit here, you know. But yo dude...i'm a huge SF buff[check out the sig, lol] and you aren't kidding about an extension of yourself. Just how Fei-Long feels perfect to me...Cypher was seriously made just for my liking. lol When I sit down and play with Cypher...it's gonig to be hours...the joys of boosting up and dashing in on an unaware Grys-Vok[here's looking at you Menthol :P] with a few daggers and multi-beams...followed up with a jumping/spinning blade slash. Ahhhh....instant gratification that I can not get in any other game with any other character. VOOT is a masterpiece. Prepare yourself for one hell of a ride Knoxximus. lol
"Nuh uh uh"
MentholMoose
Virtual-On Positive

Post by MentholMoose »

RVR - 42 wrote:When I sit down and play with Cypher...it's gonig to be hours...the joys of boosting up and dashing in on an unaware Grys-Vok[here's looking at you Menthol :P] with a few daggers and multi-beams...followed up with a jumping/spinning blade slash. Ahhhh....instant gratification that I can not get in any other game with any other character.
I feel the same way... ah, the joys of knocking an air-dashing Cypher out of the sky with a barrage of missiles. :P
MentholMoose
RVR - 42
Virtual-On Positive

Post by RVR - 42 »

MentholMoose wrote:
RVR - 42 wrote:When I sit down and play with Cypher...it's gonig to be hours...the joys of boosting up and dashing in on an unaware Grys-Vok[here's looking at you Menthol :P] with a few daggers and multi-beams...followed up with a jumping/spinning blade slash. Ahhhh....instant gratification that I can not get in any other game with any other character.
I feel the same way... ah, the joys of knocking an air-dashing Cypher out of the sky with a barrage of missiles. :P
Hahah! *high fives* Nice!
"Nuh uh uh"