Share your VO experience or history

Discuss the Virtual-On series.
Airrider1

Re: Share your VO experience or history

Post by Airrider1 »

Thank you for having me.

I've got an N64, a Wii and a PS3. With any luck I'd have to settle for Marz because that was a Playstation title that might show up on the PSN by way of sheer luck.

Yeah, I'm aware. I've got a PC that could probably handle it. With any luck I'll be able to get some time on it anytime soon.
THIS FRANK INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK
Avan

Post by Avan »

Hello gang! I've been away for quite some time and I think I should come back to the community after these years... you know, growing up, working and all. I was one of the administrators and the Malaysian founder of the group Virtual-On Gamers Zone, also known as VOGZ a long time ago - at least until it disappeared along with the few other VO gathering sites on the internet. I remember MentholMoose, Quad, Flyer, the late FlipTopBox, Cacophanus, a few others from VO.net (my username was Avan) and of course all the members of VOGZ, wherever they may be - not to mention how much they've grown up, now!

I jumped across this post by chance after reading a Wikipedia article on VO - it's been so many years since I typed the words "Virtual-On" into a browser. All of a sudden one thing led to another, and a rush of memories flooded back, the Virtuaroids, arcade battles, hours of fun and the friends I've met. It was a large part of my life and I was, and still am, a hardcore fan of the series.

A shoutout to my old friend Guarayakha - I still have photos from our 2004 VOOM Christmas tournament that we organized! The lineup was you, me, Myzt, Bin Siew, Xyqyx and TRC, with me and you going to the finals and you going on to win the match. Those were the good old days eh?

I'm so sorry to hear about FlipTopBox. I didn't manage to meet him in real life but in our conversations he was a nice guy and knowledgeable fellow... my condolences to those who were close to him and his family.

I'll post my story when I get some time, but above all, it's good to see you guys again, it's like meeting family after many years.

I feel really glad! :D
Attachments
2004 Virtual On: Operation Moongate tournament (pic by Guarayakha)
2004 Virtual On: Operation Moongate tournament (pic by Guarayakha)
2004 Virtual On: Operation Moongate tournament (pic by Bin Siew)
2004 Virtual On: Operation Moongate tournament (pic by Bin Siew)
All active Virtual-On pilots; VOGZ wants you! A club dedicated to the game, helping beginners and veterans alike.
neo helbeast
Virtual-On Positive
Gamertag: MechWarrior

Post by neo helbeast »

Hey Avan welcome to Oratan! We're pretty slow around here now that there's no Virtual On game on the horizon(maybe). Any chance you could post the wiki article that linked you here?
MentholMoose
Virtual-On Positive
Gamertag: MentholMoose
PSN: MentholMoose_

Post by MentholMoose »

Welcome!!
MentholMoose
Teh_Samurai

Post by Teh_Samurai »

Yo people, got here by a series of coincidences this week, beginning by stumbling at VOOT while looking at xbla games. I got all happy because i used to play that game at an arcade with a old buddy. I was thinking of buying it so i can play it with my friends but when googling about it i saw there was no split-screen. But then i found about Virtual-On Force, and googling about it i found my way here :lol: .

So, i still have some questions about it, if you guys don't mind answering it.

Which one is better, VOOT or VOF? While i was going to buy it to play with my friends i'm still curious about which one is better.
If i would buy VOF, can i get it through the Games on Demand? I have to admit, if i can't, buying it is gonna be a lil' hard...
There's a lot of people who play it? And the lag, is bearable?

Sorry for the questions :oops:
neo helbeast
Virtual-On Positive
Gamertag: MechWarrior

Post by neo helbeast »

VOF is buyable through the Asian marketplaces but not in the NA and PAL markets. Which one is better is entirely subjective but I personally like VOOT over Force.
neoKEN
Virtual-On Positive
Gamertag: neoKEN360

Post by neoKEN »

Teh_Samurai wrote: Which one is better, VOOT or VOF? While i was going to buy it to play with my friends i'm still curious about which one is better.
For me, VOOT is better by far. Can do much more strategy & technique if your own skills allow it. If you have played Marz, then you have basically played VO4 minus the 4 human players.
If i would buy VOF, can i get it through the Games on Demand? I have to admit, if i can't, buying it is gonna be a lil' hard...
There's a lot of people who play it? And the lag, is bearable?
There are players in public & rank matches during Japanese hours. Western players tend to play with each other in XBOX Live Party. A bit harder to find VO4 games since 4 players are needed. Should be aware that with VOOT there is no splitscreen multiplayer. Only form of multiplayer for VOOT is online or system link with 2 xbox and 2 VOOT. VO4 at least has 4 player splitscreen.
VR: Bal-bados, Angelan, ALL.
See you on IRC! Server: EFNET Channel: #VIRTUALON
Virtual-On Videos from Japan, NA, & EU http://www.youtube.com/xneoken
darwinshah

Post by darwinshah »

Hi! Im Darwin from Malaysia.. i started playing the arcade version of virtual on cybertroopers since i was 12.. way back in 1995 i guess.. got hooked to it the moment i layed eyes on it.. i just couldnt stop playing.. everytime i took a trip to the arcade.. the only mechine i would be at was virtual on.. in 1996, i accidently found a copy of virtual on pc in one of the cd stores.. gave me a shock and the ultimate excitement of my life coz ive been looking for this game for the PS1 console which i have.. i purchased it immedietly.. Best thing is i couldnt find another copy of this game in malaysia until today! :D .. then, after trying out the game on my 133mhz pc at that time, i got really dissapointed coz it didnt work.. then i made the next move of begging.. begging my dad to get me a full blown 166MHZ, 32 mb ram PC! hehehe.. after hard work and sweat in begging and persuading.. finally.. i got my PC! ;) and since then.. Virtual On Cybertroopers has been my all time favourite game.. i lost count on how many times i finished the game with my fav mecha.. VR Temjin.. and since then.. everytime i bought a new laptop or PC.. virtual on will always be the first game i would install.. i didnt need the 'continue' mode in XP( as we all know.. U cant continue if you die in newer operating systems).. i didnt mind restarting the game from the begining whenever i lost a round.. ive tried the sidewinder 3d gamepad and it works great in windows 95.. then recently.. about 2 months back.. i found the Twinstick PC on ebay! which ive been looking for a long long time.. i also bought the converter as new laptops and computers does not support old game ports.. im still figuring out how to make it work on my windows 7, alienware laptop.. Besides that.. i also have VOOT, a set of sega dreamcast with the dreamcast twinstick too... Now im 29.. Ive been playing Virtual on for the past 17 years.. and in my opinion, Virtual on is the best 1 on 1 Mecha game on earth! talking about being a HARDCORE virtual on fan .. I think im one of them.. one of you guys.. :) Its a great honour to finally be in this forum! thanks guys! Virtual on for life!! cheers.. :)
blklightning21
Gamertag: IGOTCHEESE21

Post by blklightning21 »

I don't really have much experience in the game as I have actually just started getting into VOOT after making myself a twin stick setup about a week ago. I just used to see it in the arcade all the time and used to wish I could play it. I have only been using Fei-Yen because I am all about speed and I absolutely love her speed despite dying in only a couple big shots. I will expand my horizon and use other characters when I become more familiar in the system. I have only played a couple of online matches with the same person who kicked my butt so so so bad. I do wish there was a bigger following for this great game. Its ok though because the computer is way more than a challenge from me since I am far from good hahaha. Here is hoping that I will run into some of you on xbox some time.
MasterFygar
Virtual-On Positive
Gamertag: MasterFygar

Post by MasterFygar »

Alright, more VOOM people! :D Welcome, welcome!
ImageImage
trainingdummy
Gamertag: ghostlimb87

Post by trainingdummy »

I guess this will be an introduction of sorts.

I got into the VO series because of Gundam Wing in the early 2000s. I longed for a game that had fast paced mech fighting in it. One of my friends at the time brought over a game called Virtual On Oratorio Tangram. I remember being in awe seeing these colorful mechs fighting in equally bright and colorful backgrounds. I loved playing the game, even if I wasn't particularly good at it.

I started using Temjin because he seemed like a well-balanced, jack-of-all-trades character, and it helped me learn the fundamentals of the game. Just playing on a DC pad never felt right. After getting the hang of the game, I dropped Temjin for Cypher because he seemed like he belonged in a Gundam series. I loved his speed and his air game, but disliked how much damage he took. I switched over to Specineff because he reminded of Deathscythe Hell from Gundam Wing.

I never really played with anyone because not a lot of people in my area owned a Dreamcast at the time, and they were too busy playing other games.

When I got my PS2 in late 2000, my love affair with all things Sega abruptly came to an end, as I was all about this new, "next-gen" console.

I kind of forgot about Virtual On altogether.

Fast forward to around 2005ish, I managed to snag a copy of Virtual On Marz. And, at the time I thought it was pretty neat, just didn't like the single player campaign. And this was waaayyy before I found out that Marz was a piss poor console port of Virtual On Force. Anyways, I played it on and off for a bit, then put it down. Fast forward til' around 2011, I see videos of a four player Gundam fighter called Mobile Suit Gundam Extreme Vs., and I was shocked to see not only a Gundam fighter that was fast paced, but a Gundam fighter that shared a similar gameplay style to that of VO Force, so I tracked down a copy of an earlier Gundam Vs. game for the PS2, (Mobile Suit Gundam Seed Destiny OMNI vs. ZAFT 2 Plus) played it and found it to be a fantastic game.

Since I don't own a PS3, I opted to download the XBLA version of Virtual On Oratorio Tangram. I got real hooked on this game, and went into the lab hard with it. Breaking open the system mechanics and finding a much deeper game than how I originally played it over a decade ago.

Then I quickly bought a copy of Virtual On Force (Platinum Collection version) last month, and I've never been happier.

As an avid fan of fighting games, and as someone who'll play any fighter with little to no discrimination, I'd have to say that this series easily ranks up there with the best of the best. Especially VOOT.

It's probably one of the deepest, most technical, games I have ever played, and I feel that a lot more people should get into this series, so it can be played in a larger tournament setting here in the states.

I'd love to learn more about this game as well as play with others.

My GT is ghostlimb87. I play VOOT, and VO4. I also play most fighting games that are currently out.

I'm pretty glad I found a community dedicated to this series.
MentholMoose
Virtual-On Positive

Post by MentholMoose »

Welcome to the forum!!
MentholMoose
Zaarock
Virtual-On Positive
Gamertag: Zaarock
PSN: xaerock

Post by Zaarock »

Welcome, hope to see you online on VOOT and VO4 !
VOOT 2019 guide | VO4 Guide | 2009-generation
neoKEN
Virtual-On Positive
Gamertag: neoKEN360

Post by neoKEN »

trainingdummy wrote: It's probably one of the deepest, most technical, games I have ever played, and I feel that a lot more people should get into this series, so it can be played in a larger tournament setting here in the states.
As someone who devoted a lot of time to fighting games, I have to agree. The 3rd person perspective adds a lot to the immersion. Great sense of speed and distance. Most fighting games are limited to a side view which limits the immersion.
VR: Bal-bados, Angelan, ALL.
See you on IRC! Server: EFNET Channel: #VIRTUALON
Virtual-On Videos from Japan, NA, & EU http://www.youtube.com/xneoken
Ledah

Post by Ledah »

Hi, I don't have much experience but I started playing Virtual-On when it was on the Dreamcast. I don't have any real player or tournament experience. When it came out on the XBLA I got it only to find it lacked local multiplayer, and I can't find any opponents online. I generally use Cypher and Angelan, but am not very good. Hopefully some people around here still play Virtual-On Oratorio Tangram.
S-Advent
Virtual-On Positive
Gamertag: Sonic Advent

Post by S-Advent »

Yo, as far as I know, the forums isn't used as much as it used to except for when Menthol updates the Japanese Yahoo Auction thread. I suggest going to the IRC channel that on neoKEN's sig (go to efnet first and then input the necessary info, that simple).
I'm now VO:F ready, bring it on!
VR: All of them.
Ledah

Post by Ledah »

Thanks, I was afraid the forum wasn't very active. I could not find many VO forums. I eventually heard this may have been one of the last active ones. I am not very IRC savvy, but I will try to check it out.
guarayakha
Virtual-On Positive

Post by guarayakha »

It may not look active, but I assure you many of us are lurking here...in the darkess corners of the internets :twisted:
MentholMoose
Virtual-On Positive

Post by MentholMoose »

guarayakha wrote:It may not look active, but I assure you many of us are lurking here...in the darkess corners of the internets :twisted:
Yeah, people still visit but just aren't posting that much anymore. The game is 14 years old so there is only so much to talk about after so long.
MentholMoose
Porcupine
Virtual-On Positive

Post by Porcupine »

I recently rediscovered Virtual On after roughly a 10 year hiatus. I didn't own an Xbox 360 and never got the news three years ago regarding VOOT. Thanks to VOOT going on sale though, there was enough general hubbub on various forums that I heard of it. I was shocked to see the popular and hardcore status of the game! Everyone online is an expert, all I can manage is to try not to look like a complete beginner.

Long time no see, MentholMoose! I don't recognize anyone else from the old days, but by now I know most of the current players. I was hoping to first encounter you online as well, but I hear you are busy these days. My XBL Gold recently expired and I'm busy playing Soul Calibur 5 and other games at the moment, but I'll play VOOT again as soon as I find an opportunity.

I also managed to purchase the VO4 Memorial Box and a couple of feiyen boob codes from various places, but I haven't gotten around to playing them yet. I have a huge backlog of games at the moment, I guess that's what happens when you get old.