Share your VO experience or history

Discuss the Virtual-On series.
neoKEN
Virtual-On Positive
Gamertag: neoKEN360

Re: Share your VO experience or history

Post by neoKEN »

Ezara wrote: A friend might loan me a xbox 360 slim and another just gave me a 1 year gold sub card they don't need. If I can find someone to mod my dc ts or sell me a pair I am good. Are the controls on the pad just as bad as on the dreamcast?
The 360 controls are much better than DC. The DC control feels much cheaper quality and hollow. Zaarock, PPX, & FlyExponent, does complicated motions rapidly on the 360 pad all the time without much problems.
VR: Bal-bados, Angelan, ALL.
See you on IRC! Server: EFNET Channel: #VIRTUALON
Virtual-On Videos from Japan, NA, & EU http://www.youtube.com/xneoken
Ezara
Gamertag: ezara

Post by Ezara »

Porcupine wrote:I was in a different part of California so I only played with the Camelot/SHGL crew a few times. I might never have met you. Or I might have only met you once back in the VOOM days, because I don't recall any Fei Yen player in VOOT other than myself. I knew Koichi, but mainly in VOOM days, and I wasn't sure that was him in the picture.

I have a feeling that there was a Bal player in the Camelot crew? If my imagination didn't play tricks on me, who was it?

I don't think I ever met Torin. That might explain why I had no idea about him, some posts back. Who did he use? Or it could be that he was another player that I only met in VOOM.

There is a tremendous improvement on the pad for Xbox 360 over the Dreamcast, mainly because using the analog stick for turning works totally different. The big problem on Dreamcast was that the way they programmed the stick was weird and it was really picky about how precisely you moved it, in order to rotate. If you didn't do it in the perfect direction, you might not rotate at all, or worse it might count as Up/Down and activate your Hyper Mode, wasting your HP. And since it was in a weird spot, you could not really rotate and walk at the same time, or move your finger to it quickly.

The Xbox controller fixes these issues. Although, I hear many serious players will set LB/RB to rotate anyway, in place of the right analog stick. I haven't bothered doing that myself (yet) even though I do wish I could access rotation more immediately. If I use my index fingers for LB/RB, I imagine I might have to use my middle finger for LT/RT and that feels weird to me. I wonder if that's what the other players do?

In regards to the Up/Down/Left/Right direction pad, I find the Xbox's controller to be imprecise. I have a hard time getting out diagonals or certain directions, getting them mixed up, although this depends on the individual controller. If you are lucky, you will have a properly working pad. Some other players get around this by using the left analog stick to move, instead of the direction pad. The left analog stick works perfectly, but I don't like its placement, and it is farther away from the right analog stick which I don't like. I like being able to access the right analog stick with either my left or right hand as quickly as possible for various kinds of turning.
Ah I do remember a Fei Yen player a long time ago. But he stopped coming. Don't know if that was you.
neoKEN wrote:
Ezara wrote: A friend might loan me a xbox 360 slim and another just gave me a 1 year gold sub card they don't need. If I can find someone to mod my dc ts or sell me a pair I am good. Are the controls on the pad just as bad as on the dreamcast?
The 360 controls are much better than DC. The DC control feels much cheaper quality and hollow. Zaarock, PPX, & FlyExponent, does complicated motions rapidly on the 360 pad all the time without much problems.
Cool, I will have to live with the controller for sometime. Hopefully I will see someone people to kick my butt soon.
Porcupine
Virtual-On Positive

Post by Porcupine »

These days I'm probably the western player that's trying to be most active, but my hours are odd so I have trouble finding games during the times I want to play. I get home around 10 pm California time. If you wait in the Player Lobby, I'll challenge you when I get on.

I also tend to look in the Player Lobby at 3 am California time (7 pm Japan time) for Japanese players, but lately they don't play during that time anymore. They play later, like 9 or 10 pm Japan time, so it's actually pretty convenient for California, you can play them when you wake up. But for me its the middle of the night so I'm sleeping.
Ezara
Gamertag: ezara

Post by Ezara »

so the xbox 360 i borrowed had no hard drive and was full of stuff.(4gb slim model) I just bought a 360 today and got 2k points. Will try to be online tonight.
Lygophilia

Post by Lygophilia »

I believe I tried a demo in 1997 and that's when I decided to buy the first one from it leaving a decent impression. It has some innovation and Sega seemed to have had the game Galactic Warriors in mind for this series, because it was one of the critical origin templates that was overlooked from the mid 1980s that was adopted to modern fighting games (Capcom never gave credit to and pretend like it was their own), of being neutral to a traditional and non-traditional approach from mechanics offered. From a mech fighting game, Galactic Warriors had a similarity in positioning from projectiles and you were able to switch to melee, as what Virtual On has, but of course 1990s fighting games offered considerably more in depth and higher command performance. This is why I would consider Virtual On a 3D version and a successor to Galactic Warriors.

I have used Twin sticks in the arcade version, but never have owned them personally. I used a pad or arcade sticks for many years, but kind of lost interest in fighting games, so I'm limited to very few at this time that I'm not so active in.

I'm in the US and had some people to play for years, but it's been years since then of being inactive. The people that I use to play with, expressed some interest again.

(I thought I registered here years ago, but I forgot to I guess.)
MentholMoose
Virtual-On Positive
Gamertag: MentholMoose
PSN: MentholMoose_

Post by MentholMoose »

Welcome!
MentholMoose
MDK

Post by MDK »

Played OT at an arcade in another town. Was great but didn't think much of it. Went to the arcade around here and they had OM. Got into the franchise like that. Eventually got an Xbox 360 and downloaded OT. Now I'm gonna import Force.
OM: Viper II / Raiden / Fei Yen
OT: Cypher / Raiden / Fei Yen / Grys Vok
Force: Myzr Delta / Fei Yen with BlueHeart / Temjin 747
Marz: lol

VO Subreddit: reddit.com/r/virtualon
Palmpoa
Gamertag: Palmpoa

Post by Palmpoa »

-
geminimanx4

Post by geminimanx4 »

I live in Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada. Started out playing the PC version of VOOM (using keyboards haha) with friends ages ago. Later on I ended up working at an arcade for about 9 years. An arcade in a town about 45 minutes away went out of business at some point and I picked up a VOOM Cabinet from them, keeping it in our arcade along with a few other games I picked up here and there. It became the one of the most popular machines (up there with Dance Dance Revolution), getting people hooked on the gameplay and social excitement that came with battling each other. We eventually had a light up display case filled with all of the One-Coin figures, various action figures, mousepads, clock, etc., and two huge posters draped above both sides of the machine; One for the soundtrack release of VOOM, and one for the Dreamcast release of VOOT. We had tournaments and I eventually acquired two complete boardstacks for VOOT. I usually kept it running in the machine, as the experienced players preferred to play it most of the time, and it probably drew more newcomers in with the fast paced Sega Model 3.2 graphics.

Just over 10 years ago now, our arcade went out of business as well, and plans for pickup and storage of the unit fell through, leaving me with just enough time to gut the cabinet and remove the important parts before the building was out of our lease. The basement of the house where the parts were stored was flooded while I was working out of town, but luckily I kept the game boards at my place, and they survived.

Earlier this year, I stumbled across an online listing through Kijiji; another VOOM cabinet for sale. I didn't hesitate, and arranged for safe shipping that cost more than the machine. I don't regret it. The cabinet was in really rough shape, although that's to be expected given it's age. The important thing is the joysticks and monitors worked fine. I now have a complete restoration planned for the unit, including filling the holes and cracks, resurfacing, repainting, recapping the monitors, and replacing the few missing parts. It will be a while coming along, as I usually work 7 days a week, but I hope to post pictures on here as I progress. I expect I'll have some questions along the way that other fellow fans and players might be able to assist me with.

I've played VOOM on Saturn and PS2, VOOT for DC, and Marz for PS2. I prefer VOOT for the gameplay, although I really like the music in VOOM better overall during matches. I enjoy most fighting games, particularly various Capcom fighters, but nothing else has quite the depth of Virtual-On.

I'm keeping the machine in my girlfriend's tattoo shop (It's quite spacious), so that it can be enjoy by others. Until the restorations are complete, it's away from the other machines I have set up there, as the panels are removed and it's not a sight for paying customers. If anyone on here is in the area, or plan on passing through, feel free to contact me, and I can instruct the staff to let you at it. If I'm around I'll gladly battle you as well, although I spend a lot of my time working out of town.

I'm glad I stumbled across this forum, and hope to make some new friends that share the same passion for Virtual-On as I do!
Porcupine
Virtual-On Positive

Post by Porcupine »

Wow that sounds pretty impressive. I'm not that good with my hands so I don't understand some of the hardware things you talked about, but I'm sure others here do. Too bad arcades everywhere are going out of business. It even affects Japan, as only a few locations there still have VO machines, and theirs are either not in great shape or not in the original cabinets.

I also think VOOM had by far the best songs in the series and I could not believe that VOOM and VOOT supposedly have the same composer. I'm usually perfect at being able to tell things like that by just looking or hearing.