Machine Select - Which VR do you play?

Discuss the Virtual-On series.
Davo87
Virtual-On Positive

Machine Select - Which VR do you play?

Post by Davo87 »

Mite open up a thread to discuss why people play the VR they are using now.

Ill startoff:

Specineff:
-speedy, can compete with feiyen and cypher. Plus he skates like a hockey player.
-The death scythe, other than what it is, the Sonic Wave is fast, past walls and deals chunks to health and V armour.
-Can zone with orbs and let them do the work for you.
-Can disable those bomb spammers. Gotta Luv it.

Bal-bados:
-Can weapon spam the entire arena.
-Half cancel all sorts of ERL is a beauty.
-He actually gets legs now.
-Planting ERLs is deadly.
MentholMoose
Virtual-On Positive
Gamertag: MentholMoose
PSN: MentholMoose_

Re: Machine Select - Which VR do you play?

Post by MentholMoose »

My best is Grys-Vok. With online play, and hopefully a lot of competition, I will look into honing my skills with other VRs. Specifically, I'd like to be good with Specineff and Bal-Series.
MentholMoose
circuscommando
Virtual-On Positive

Post by circuscommando »

I play mostly Raiden and a little bit of Dordray, i'm not skilled enough to use the faster ones quite yet, but i'm working with Temjin, i prefer the heavy v-armors and hitters.
Schooly D
Virtual-On Positive
Gamertag: Schooly D

Post by Schooly D »

Cypher is the only one I know how to use worth a damn. I know this because he's the only VR I can follow when viewing high-level play.
Made in Malaysia by Kurt Russell and Goldie Hawn
IMD1

Post by IMD1 »

Well I used to play Cypher Raiden and Dordray a lot when I had it on dreamcast. My fav virtuaoid from the whole series is still Viper 2 from the original Virtual On.
Davo87
Virtual-On Positive

Post by Davo87 »

Grys-vok's barrage bomb actually reminds me more like VOOM Dorkas but doesnt do as much dmg as Phalanx. Grys-vok is big but actually similarly as fast as AphS or Balseries. He recharges fast and have plenty of ammunition, but they dont home very well at mid range. Against chars with strong V-armour, his long range lets him down. While missile blasts neutralise nearly all forms of projectiles, tho they are still relatively slow if comparing to most beam weapons. A strong pt is some versions of his missiles go thru bomb blasts. Correct me if Im wrong, tho I am curious how ppl play to pwn using Grys-vok. :)

Raiden in the hands of a skilled stick user is very intimidating. Having very good rotational ability makes pre-aiming lasers deadly. Hiding behind his bomb blasts and then aim his lasers, catching dashers with laser cages. He is one of the top tiers.

Dordray's V-hurricane into RWRT burns ppl's life bars. RWRT shoots flames over buildings which works just as good like drills. Probably the best watari dasher in the game, which accompanies his CD and Claw rush. Unlike Raiden, his setups are more indirect. He lacks a good rapid fire.

Cypher, I have no idea how to put it. Tho very often I lose sight of Cypher more quickly then against a Feiyen player. Cypher is like a modified Temjin, stripped of armour but added with the best airdash. His new SLC Dive I find a pain to control. Its basically zero visibility when steering. Cypher needs a radar. ;) His 4 way homing beam a good edition from VOOT, as it gives stun properties. I wont talk about daggers, as i dont spam them effectively.

Someone may have done this a while back, tho I'd like to see a rock-paper-scissors chart that shows what weapon can neutralise the other. E.g: Angelan's Crouch snowflakes beats enemy Angelan's standing snowflakes. Atleast it makes up for concrete tactic of matchups. Something like this a worthwhile to know as it gives options aside from dodging or relying on V-armour.
Last edited by Davo87 on 19 Mar 2009, 23:14, edited 2 times in total.
Davo87
Virtual-On Positive

Post by Davo87 »

More post:

Fei-yen's handbeam tears V-armour of pretty quickly. Unlike Cypher who has daggers to defend in certain situations, she only have rapier wave which is tiny, her attacks gets cancelled out by many VRs. Tho good thing about her is she seems to be the only VR that can attack and dodge things effective only by *running*. Her CC is great tho overall her weapons do tiny damage and very poor knockdown until hypermode.

AphS, very similar to Gry-vok with weaponry and speed. While grys-vok definitely has more firepower. Striker has speed and range in CC. He can fight like AphB's napalm> FWdash CC.

Angelan, low health but incredibly high V-armour. All her attacks deal dmg to V-armour. Her ice projectile cancels light beam weapons and an ice shield which everybody hates. Her dragons work similarly like Bal-series CW with better speed, homing ability and damage. Ice pillar against jumpers and chargers. A good turtle is frustrating to break.

Temjin, CC ability 2nd with Aph B being 1st. Surfing Ram which homes and really fast, tho occasionally it whiffs its mark and u get punished severely. Temjin, couldnt do much outside of mid-close range. Tho forward-dash beam rifle is really fast. Bomb blasts a wide radius, good for cover blind spots if there is an obstacle to detonate. Speed is just below the light VRs and medium health. A well balanced machine.
RVR - 42
Virtual-On Positive

Post by RVR - 42 »

Does this refer only to VOOT? That's the one im most experienced in anyway...so i'm just going to list those Vrs.

Cypher - First and foremost. Dur! Look at my username. :P Seriously though...this mecha...design...speed...everything about RVR-42 was meant for me. I'm probably not as good as i'd like to be with him, but I have the most fun out of any game ever when im playing VOOT with my main mecha, Cypher. His blade...his ability to transform, so bad@$$. I don't know...I guess if mechs could be sexy, Cypher's my Alessandra Ambrosio. ;) Favorite video game character ever. Absolutely love Cypher!

Raiden - Funny how I go from one of the sleekest, fastest and complex Vrs, to one of the brutes. But Raiden is so hardcore awesome. Hyper Bazooka for the win! Lasers, as well as, the electric fence make Raiden my second favorite. While not too fast...if I ever feel the need for speed I can shed that armor[and hopefully avoid any little thing my opponent launches at me lol] and really get moving. Raiden...is a pimp. xD!

Fei-Yen - First character I played as in VOOT. Very Sailor Moon esque, as far appearance goes. Love the Golden Transformation. And im a big fan of her Heart Bombs. They're so cute! >_> I mean...so explosive and deadly. *cracks knuckles* But i'm a lover of speed so she's got that covered and her little fencing sword[what're they called again...I forgot] lets me get my slice and dice on. Cute...but deadly.

Apharmd Battler - G.I. Virtuaroid reporting to duty! Hahaha! Freaking Rambo if I ever saw one. Battler is a frickin' Green Beret., folks! We all love machine guns...and we all love bombs. Grenades...guns[and the shell effects just add to the awesomeness of it all if you ask me lol], and one heck of a soccer ball...Battler is a force to be reckoned with. I didn't start using him until later in my VOOT play history, but after learning of his many turbo variants...I saw his disadvantaged long range isn't so bad, really. And those tongfers...oh my gosh...those tongfers. ^_^

Temjin - The ol' bread and butter, huh? Like his design and attacks. Moderate speed, nice range and power...he's an all-star Vr. Seems kinda bland...but boy, is that the wrong assumption. From his surf-board to his kamikaze sword slash attack...Temjin is a dream. Haha! I always loved getting Cypher and fighting Temjin on Public Port[when he was at Floating Carrier he just stands there...lame!] and totally going at it. Being derived from his design and all...this was my chance, as Cypher, to prove who is the better Vr. Yea...I know bringing Cypher into my Temjin post...I can't help it. But Temjin rocks!

Vrs that I don't play with but love their designs, attacks, techniques, etc would be...Specineff[love fighting him as Cy...i'm talking straight up highly mobile combat people lol], Bal-Bados[ERLs...so awesome], and Grys-Vok[that frickin ICBM has the sickest explosion ive ever seen LOL and his many other missles...like those airplane looking things that travel on the ground, and his barrage of warheads...very sweet stuff]. So that first list up there...only Cypher holds his respected position...all of those others are second favorites. xD!
"Nuh uh uh"
NGEFreek
Gamertag: NGE42

Post by NGEFreek »

I like to play with everyone, except for Grys-Vok (sorry Menthol, I just don't see how you can play him as your main, but then again, you are very good with him, so keep at it ;) )

I do tend to lean towards Fei-Yen/Cypher about 80% of the time, with Specineff/Raiden/Bal taking up the rest, or Apharmd B to piss people off for Melee/ground rape.
Testament/Seven7
Virtual-On Positive

Post by Testament/Seven7 »

I'm a Temjin main. I'll play Fei-Yen every so tiny often.

It's fun the things i can pull off with a temjin, the funniest are somehow "dodging" a raiden's laser blasts, or in reality, standing at just the right spot so that the beams go around me, when by all accounts they should fry me. Basically, at this stage, I can make the temjin do what i wnat, but i'm more-or-less a novice when it comes to compeditive level (none to minimal sadly), so i'm not sure how well i'd fair in a real virtuaroid dogfight...

Fei-Yen is a speed demon, we all know this. But it's fun watching something as, well, dainty, as fei yen taking out a Raiden, which is not only possable, but funny.

I need to find a way to record this one replay i've got saved, my friend is playing in a raiden, and he's going up against a cpu controlled fei-yen. (8th plant, flesh refoe, undersea plant, easiest cpu setting), and somehow, i'm not sure how to this day, he "looses" to the cpu..in under or about 5 seconds! She charges and somehow wipes his health to 0 in such a small ammount of time. If i can find a way to upload it can maybe one of you work some forensic science on it?
Marz First Lt. Testament, Temjin pilot

Xbox live gamertag: Lt Testament
RVR - 42
Virtual-On Positive

Post by RVR - 42 »

Testament/Seven7 wrote:I'm a Temjin main. I'll play Fei-Yen every so tiny often.

It's fun the things i can pull off with a temjin, the funniest are somehow "dodging" a raiden's laser blasts, or in reality, standing at just the right spot so that the beams go around me, when by all accounts they should fry me. Basically, at this stage, I can make the temjin do what i wnat, but i'm more-or-less a novice when it comes to compeditive level (none to minimal sadly), so i'm not sure how well i'd fair in a real virtuaroid dogfight...

Fei-Yen is a speed demon, we all know this. But it's fun watching something as, well, dainty, as fei yen taking out a Raiden, which is not only possable, but funny.

I need to find a way to record this one replay i've got saved, my friend is playing in a raiden, and he's going up against a cpu controlled fei-yen. (8th plant, flesh refoe, undersea plant, easiest cpu setting), and somehow, i'm not sure how to this day, he "looses" to the cpu..in under or about 5 seconds! She charges and somehow wipes his health to 0 in such a small ammount of time. If i can find a way to upload it can maybe one of you work some forensic science on it?
XDXD! Holy crap! That's insane! Hahaaa! But no...that Fei is surprisingly spontaneous sometimes. If I remember correctly there would be times i'd lose one of the two rounds once every blue moon. Not on the easiest setting...but still. That Fei can be a demon. Under 5 seconds though...that's gotta be a record. *snickers* Nah im playing...just giving your friend a hardtime. But hey...deep south Texas, huh? Seems our little board here covers just about every geological location in the contigious US. Sweet!
"Nuh uh uh"
Testament/Seven7
Virtual-On Positive

RVR - 42 wrote:
Testament/Seven7 wrote:I'm a Temjin main. I'll play Fei-Yen every so tiny often.

XDXD! Holy crap! That's insane! Hahaaa! But no...that Fei is surprisingly spontaneous sometimes. If I remember correctly there would be times i'd lose one of the two rounds once every blue moon. Not on the easiest setting...but still. That Fei can be a demon. Under 5 seconds though...that's gotta be a record. *snickers* Nah im playing...just giving your friend a hardtime. But hey...deep south Texas, huh? Seems our little board here covers just about every geological location in the contigious US. Sweet!
Indeed it may, unfortunitally, me and my friend (another friend mind you) seem to be the only serious competition around here, that we know of anyway, for voot. I'm a Temjin main and his main is Raiden...matches are interesting though, we tend to suprise each other... :P

circuscommando
Virtual-On Positive

Post by circuscommando »

north-east here, Vermont. I'm the only one around who has probably ever heard of it around here :P
RVR - 42
Virtual-On Positive

Post by RVR - 42 »

Hahah nice, Testament. Raiden and Temjin...good ol' school fun. You two ever go Alpha on each other? That would be an interesting fight, for sure. But North-East circus...i'm South East. Haha! Isn't is so good to be like the only person that knows about such a gem of a game. Sucks it didn't get its exposure, but now that its gone...it's like knowing the location of a gold mine...while everyone else has no idea. lol
"Nuh uh uh"
Testament/Seven7
Virtual-On Positive

RVR - 42 wrote:Hahah nice, Testament. Raiden and Temjin...good ol' school fun. You two ever go Alpha on each other? That would be an interesting fight, for sure. But North-East circus...i'm South East. Haha! Isn't is so good to be like the only person that knows about such a gem of a game. Sucks it didn't get its exposure, but now that its gone...it's like knowing the location of a gold mine...while everyone else has no idea. lol

Actually, no we havent, neither of us has bothered to unlock the alphas, and neither of us has a link cable for that matter ^^;;;

We did link play a couple times with VO PC, via a crossover ethernet cable i happen to have. Now THAT was old-school fun ^^ Add to that i was using a wii-remote and nunchuck to mimick the twinsticks keyboard controlls, worked better than a pair of usb joysticks thats for sure.

MentholMoose
Virtual-On Positive

Post by MentholMoose »

RVR - 42 wrote:Does this refer only to VOOT? That's the one im most experienced in anyway...so i'm just going to list those Vrs.

[snip]
Nice post, I like to hear people's thoughts about the various VRs. Regarding your question, this site is focused on oratorio tangram, but I don't mind people discussing other versions (except MARZ... *shudders*). Although I basically won't know what they're talking about, other people might!
MentholMoose
Testament/Seven7
Virtual-On Positive

MentholMoose wrote:
I don't mind people discussing other versions (except MARZ... *shudders*).
I never understood why Marz is so hated...ok, comming off of force, the vr number drops drastically, and thats bad, and i'm told the storyline got butchered, which i'd beleave, but was it really so bad a game?

Ok, we can all agree it's no Vo-ot, nothing is, still...i don't understand the hate/fear/nightmare stuffs....

MentholMoose
Virtual-On Positive

Post by MentholMoose »

Testament/Seven7 wrote:I need to find a way to record this one replay i've got saved, my friend is playing in a raiden, and he's going up against a cpu controlled fei-yen. (8th plant, flesh refoe, undersea plant, easiest cpu setting), and somehow, i'm not sure how to this day, he "looses" to the cpu..in under or about 5 seconds! She charges and somehow wipes his health to 0 in such a small ammount of time. If i can find a way to upload it can maybe one of you work some forensic science on it?
Can you connect your DC to the Internet, using a modem or BBA? In that case you can email the save to someone to take a look. You could also use one of the VMUs with a PC connection, if you have one or can buy one.
Testament/Seven7 wrote:I never understood why Marz is so hated...ok, comming off of force, the vr number drops drastically, and thats bad, and i'm told the storyline got butchered, which i'd beleave, but was it really so bad a game?

Ok, we can all agree it's no Vo-ot, nothing is, still...i don't understand the hate/fear/nightmare stuffs....
I don't really care about the VR quantity, or storyline, but I do care about gameplay. MARZ failed big time on that front. It is particularly egregious because gameplay in VOOT is so good.
MentholMoose
RVR - 42
Virtual-On Positive

Post by RVR - 42 »

Yea Marz...is atrocious. I can't stand it. Frickin' Dymon Arm/Worm should not stand a chance against my Myzr. But he like...owns me...hardcore. =/ I try applying my VOOT techniques to VOM[it] and I can't do crap effectively. What kills me most about Marz is the extremely lagging gameplay. No double jump, very few turbo variants, unbalanced Vrs. I miss V-Armor. Damn it Sega just give me a VOT[Virtual On Tournament] with pretty much every Vr[even those from One Man Resue and Fragamentary Passage], VOOT gameplay mechanics, online play, color editing and there's really no need for a story. This is all I ask of them. One last game...the big kahuna. I guarantee them...it would be a success. Hard part may be balancing though...given Vrs that didn't have V-Armor in the past, V-Armor[pretty any that weren't in VOOT lol] and turbo variants, etc. They could do it though.

As for other Vrs. I've just gotta say...Kagekiyo...that guy looks like my new favorite Vr. Too bad i'll never get to play as him. =/
"Nuh uh uh"
NGEFreek
Gamertag: NGE42

Post by NGEFreek »

Kagekiyo is unlockable in VOOT 5.66 for 360, haven't you heard? He's the true endboss. Its like the dramatic battle with Ryu/Ken v Bison, just now its your VR vs Kagekiyo/Guarayaka. Good times to be had for sure. Also, RAPE.