VO Marz remake

Discuss the Virtual-On series.
segafan13

VO Marz remake

Post by segafan13 »

Hey guys this is my first post :) . How does a virtual on marz remake with good controls, hd graphics, online, customizable vrs, better voices, and new virtuaroids sound?
MentholMoose
Virtual-On Positive
Gamertag: MentholMoose
PSN: MentholMoose_

Re: VO Marz remake

Post by MentholMoose »

Welcome to the forums. Do you mean a new game from Sega, or is this something you're working on? A new, well-executed story-driven VO game would be fine. However, I personally would prefer that Sega focus on a new 1v1 VO game. The VO story, what little there is, never really appealed to me.
MentholMoose
segafan13

Post by segafan13 »

I mean a new game from sega I said this because I think this the only VO game without a remake, and also it could have been a good game. and thanks for welcoming me. :)
Porcupine
Virtual-On Positive

Post by Porcupine »

I've never seen Marz, but now that I've just started playing Force for the first time, what I really wish for is that they remake VOOT with not just HD graphics but improved graphics to today's levels, or at least Force's level.

The graphics in Force are so much better than in VOOT. Actually the polygon counts are hardly improved but the lighting is what really makes the difference. Shiny shiny robots. And the semi-specular lighting gives the illusion of rounded surfaces and higher polygon counts in Force than there really are.

I have no real opinion on the gameplay of Force so far, and maybe never will. Although I admire the uniqueness of the VO series' gameplay, I was never too enamored with the style of any particular one, whether it be VOOM, VOOT, or Force.
Testament/Seven7
Virtual-On Positive

Post by Testament/Seven7 »

Honestly, i don't see a remake of MARZ being a good idea.

I'm one of the few that "Liked" the game, the problem is with the story, simply put it kinda jumps in to detailing the story at that point, with important plot points and charas that the player is supposed to recognize.

The only problem, of course, is that unless you live in japan, you have not the slight hint of who these people are or why you should care about them. Period.

In fact, even if you "do" live in japan, it's not a guarantee you'll know, but odds are higher and research is significantly easier.

If SEGA was going to re-make MARZ, they would probably want to make the rest of the "very detailed and complex" story available to western audiences first and foremost. A task in of itself which is fairly daunting. Not impossible but easy to mess up.

I don't see it happening, it'd be cool, but, yeah.
Marz First Lt. Testament, Temjin pilot

Xbox live gamertag: Lt Testament
GXPT2000
Gamertag: Brain Leech 419

Post by GXPT2000 »

and the PS3 version came out!
anybody that has a PS3 even bother to buy this game? I wonder if it is any different.(I doubt it is...)
VOOM: Temjin, Viper II, Dorkas.
VOOT: Temjin, Aph B.
VO4: Temjin, Aph J/C, Myzr Delta.
twistedsymphony
Virtual-On Positive
Gamertag: twistedsymphony

Post by twistedsymphony »

Considering it's just a PSN release I'd be willing to bet it's about as much of a remake as VOOT was for the the Xbox 360... so a few extra options and rendering in HD but not much else.
Porcupine
Virtual-On Positive

Post by Porcupine »

Force has better graphics and much better lighting than VOOT. Since Marz is based on simplified Force graphics, it's conceivable they upgraded not only the resolution, but the lighting as well. I'll probably get Marz one of these days but I don't hook my PS3 up to online often.
neoKEN
Virtual-On Positive
Gamertag: neoKEN360

Post by neoKEN »

twistedsymphony wrote:Considering it's just a PSN release I'd be willing to bet it's about as much of a remake as VOOT was for the the Xbox 360... so a few extra options and rendering in HD but not much else.
I don't know about PSN version of Marz, but VOOT 360 is quite significant compared to arcade and Dreamcast version. The Naomi versions (DC/arcade) are quite dark. 360 added a nice glowing effects to the VR, attacks, and the stages. I can't look at the Naomi version of VOOT anymore especially after playing the superior 360 version.
VR: Bal-bados, Angelan, ALL.
See you on IRC! Server: EFNET Channel: #VIRTUALON
Virtual-On Videos from Japan, NA, & EU http://www.youtube.com/xneoken
twistedsymphony
Virtual-On Positive
Gamertag: twistedsymphony

Post by twistedsymphony »

neoKEN wrote:
twistedsymphony wrote:Considering it's just a PSN release I'd be willing to bet it's about as much of a remake as VOOT was for the the Xbox 360... so a few extra options and rendering in HD but not much else.
I don't know about PSN version of Marz, but VOOT 360 is quite significant compared to arcade and Dreamcast version. The Naomi versions (DC/arcade) are quite dark. 360 added a nice glowing effects to the VR, attacks, and the stages. I can't look at the Naomi version of VOOT anymore especially after playing the superior 360 version.
When I said "not much else" I'm referring to things like additional characters, additional levels, more story mode etc. (basically what the OP was asking for)

re-releases on XBLA and PSN usually only get some nicer graphics and online play, maybe a few extra token options... I don't consider those kind of changes "significant" to the game as a whole.
GXPT2000

Post by GXPT2000 »

So far, the only changes I saw in videos are a new tutorial(extremely simple tutorial, for the simplified controls only in Marz) as well as cutting down on the horrendous loading time.
If you already have marz, dont see the point in buying it...unless you want to play the story mode a lot, or if you want to play online in marz....(I doubt people want to do that...and most VO fans probably have VO4 already.)
Porcupine
Virtual-On Positive

Post by Porcupine »

If you only have a PS3, or just prefer to play on PSN since it's free, then I don't see why you wouldn't want to play Marz. Since VOOT and Force are only on Xbox 360.

I still use the traditional graphics settings for VOOT. They are darker than they should be, VOOT on Dreamcast was not this dark. I think the port didn't adjust properly for HDMI color settings or something. There is a menu option to brighten the graphics but not use the enhanced graphics, but this option is nonfunctional, leading me to further suspect something was not done right with the port.

The upgraded graphics for VOOT, while brighter, don't seem right to me in various ways. The visors are too bright, the stages may still be too dark (only the mechs are brighter), and Fei-Yen's Hyper Mode looks unnatural.
MentholMoose
Virtual-On Positive
Gamertag: MentholMoose
PSN: MentholMoose_

Post by MentholMoose »

GXPT2000 wrote:So far, the only changes I saw in videos are a new tutorial(extremely simple tutorial, for the simplified controls only in Marz) as well as cutting down on the horrendous loading time.
Can you share links to those videos? I searched YouTube and niconico and couldn't find anything.
MentholMoose
GXPT2000

Post by GXPT2000 »

MentholMoose wrote:
GXPT2000 wrote:So far, the only changes I saw in videos are a new tutorial(extremely simple tutorial, for the simplified controls only in Marz) as well as cutting down on the horrendous loading time.
Can you share links to those videos? I searched YouTube and niconico and couldn't find anything.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?nomobile=1&v=Xv5xF0uuC_Y

This is the video to the useless tutorial.

This guy's been playing dramatic mode on hard, and looks like minor differences.
Just look for マーズ on his channel.