More VO in Super Robot Wars UX

Discuss the Virtual-On series.
shamanic_beat
Virtual-On Positive

More VO in Super Robot Wars UX

Post by shamanic_beat »

Last edited by shamanic_beat on 13 Dec 2012, 00:08, edited 1 time in total.
MentholMoose
Virtual-On Positive
Gamertag: MentholMoose
PSN: MentholMoose_

Re: More VO in Super Robot Wars UX

Post by MentholMoose »

Sweet!
MentholMoose
Porcupine
Virtual-On Positive

Post by Porcupine »

Hey Shamanic we should get together and play Force sometime.

I've been playing as much as I can this past couple of weeks but finding matches in Force is a nightmare due to needing 4 players and also dealing with lag. In a span of just 10 minutes I once accumulated 9 negative reps from Japanese players due to playing just a couple matches while my connection was worse than usual.

The lag response time in Force seems just as good, if not better than VOOT's top-notch netcode. However, it seems very particular to a slightly loaded (or even unloaded) connection. It can get all choppy under conditions where VOOT is not choppy, and I've experienced disconnects in Force matches from time to time. Every other day, I can't even play at all because my connection is mysteriously subpar.

The only thing that works in my favor is that at least I'm decent enough at Force (I'm the same as I am in VOOT, despite never playing before) to be accepted by most of the Japanese players in terms of ability. All I do though is run around and try to shoot whichever opponent that isn't targeting me in the back. That's pretty cowardly and unskillful but it seems to be Fei-Yen's and Angelan's specialty in Force anyway.
shamanic_beat
Virtual-On Positive

Post by shamanic_beat »

I don't Force, Procupine. I VOOT.
FlyExponent
Gamertag: FlyExponent

Post by FlyExponent »

Do more people play Force rather than VOOT? I'm new here, and to VO in general, but I barely find people to play on VOOT anyway (best times for me is like 6:00 in the morning.) So I'm trying to not go out of my way for a game where it's still in "the text" (read: Japanese)

On-Topic sorta: I've never played Super Robot Wars. Anyone know how it plays/can give a review?
Bskull
Gamertag: Soul5kull

Post by Bskull »

It really depends on your overall preference. Most fans of the series, like myself, prefer VOOT because it is somewhat faster and I have seen reviews stating that VOOT is more diverse in strategy than VO force. Even if I had a copy of VO force, I would probably still be playing VOOT for the sake of good gameplay.
Porcupine
Virtual-On Positive

Post by Porcupine »

One of the things I don't agree with is the general tendency of people to prefer a faster game. It's shared by many players of all skill levels, but I think many players prefer a faster speed without really thinking about what makes a good game. Contrary to popular thought a faster game speed can sometimes favor poor players, it's not always faster = better = more skillful.

Pretty much no one outside of Japan plays Force regularly online. That's why I've been hoping to get some of us here together so that we can at least have a match of 4 players.

Within Japan, it seems that VOOT is more popular than Force, but Force has a lot of players, too. What's interesting is that there is very little mingling between the two groups, people tend to exclusively be either VOOT or Force players. (They often have both games but only seriously play one).
Bskull
Gamertag: Soul5kull

Post by Bskull »

I also hear that force has a strong following in Japan. I have yet to really see much from the states.

However, on the topic of Super Robot Wars featuring the Miku Hatsune variation of Fei Yen, I look forward to seeing how the results of such an interesting promo character will do in a robot turn-based strategy game.
MentholMoose
Virtual-On Positive
Gamertag: MentholMoose
PSN: MentholMoose_

Post by MentholMoose »

Bskull wrote:I also hear that force has a strong following in Japan. I have yet to really see much from the states.
No arcade or console release outside of Japan will do that.
MentholMoose
guarayakha
Virtual-On Positive

Post by guarayakha »

Godamnit. it's like SEGA's purposely teasing VOFans with all these random VO related stuffs every now and then and not make an actual VO game.

Interesting note. Fei-Yen HD is piloted by Fei-Yen HD. :D
neoKEN
Virtual-On Positive
Gamertag: neoKEN360

Post by neoKEN »

FlyExponent wrote:Do more people play Force rather than VOOT? I'm new here, and to VO in general, but I barely find people to play on VOOT anyway (best times for me is like 6:00 in the morning.) So I'm trying to not go out of my way for a game where it's still in "the text" (read: Japanese)

On-Topic sorta: I've never played Super Robot Wars. Anyone know how it plays/can give a review?
The majority of VO players prefer VOOT over Force. Force is more difficult to find games too. Even more difficult knowing that you need 4 players total. If you want to play people in VOOT, you either play during Japanese hours or play with an xbox friend who actively play VOOT (example: me).

For me, VOOT is the better game by far. Even if VO4 is as fast as VOOT, the overall gameplay is weaker. In VOOT you have the ability to do so much more, often pull off stunts that show crazy feats of skill. I've yet to find anything in VO4 where I think "Wow! That is amazing!" On topic: VOOT allows customization of a Miku color fei-yen :lol:
VR: Bal-bados, Angelan, ALL.
See you on IRC! Server: EFNET Channel: #VIRTUALON
Virtual-On Videos from Japan, NA, & EU http://www.youtube.com/xneoken
neoKEN
Virtual-On Positive
Gamertag: neoKEN360

Post by neoKEN »

Porcupine wrote:One of the things I don't agree with is the general tendency of people to prefer a faster game. It's shared by many players of all skill levels, but I think many players prefer a faster speed without really thinking about what makes a good game. Contrary to popular thought a faster game speed can sometimes favor poor players, it's not always faster = better = more skillful.
I also don't think faster game speed makes for a better game. In VO4, I feel there is a significant lag in what you press and the action that the VR performs. I use to play DC VOOT on PC emulators using a slow PC. The speed is very slow yet it still felt more responsive than VO4.
VR: Bal-bados, Angelan, ALL.
See you on IRC! Server: EFNET Channel: #VIRTUALON
Virtual-On Videos from Japan, NA, & EU http://www.youtube.com/xneoken
FlyExponent
Gamertag: FlyExponent

Post by FlyExponent »

Meh. I never felt like going out for Force anyway. VOOT is enough. And as for Super Robot Wars....Cool, but it really doesn't affect me.

(If it had some borgs from Gotcha Force though, it'd probly be a day one buy for me.) ... :oops: Really hope I'm not the only Gotcha Force fan out here... :oops:

Also Ken, you said you play VOOT on the regular? I do too, so long as i'm not tired as hell from school. Maybe we should swap gamertags once ina while.
Porcupine
Virtual-On Positive

Post by Porcupine »

Not to worry, you'll randomly find us soon enough like SoulSkull did. These days the players who play most often are probably neoken and myself, although since I don't have convenient internet access I tend to take my xbox offline for extended periods of time during which I play other offline games, or even VO4 offline (lots of optional grinding you can do). And right now I'm intending to go offline again for a month.
In VO4, I feel there is a significant lag in what you press and the action that the VR performs.
I'm guessing that you were referring to offline response mechanics, not online netcode related issues. Yes the start-up time of many actions are increased for Force; this is a crucial part of the slowing down of the game. If everyone just walked/ran slower and projectiles correspondingly had less homing, the game would look slower but effectively play at the same pace. However the start-up times of most actions are only slightly longer, compared to the slowing down of movement.

The most notable lengthening of actions are: 1) the jump cancel freeze time and dash cancel sliding durations, they are far longer now similar to VOOM, 2) most freezes are longer and uncancellable, 3) there is a slight time in the beginning of your dash where you cannot dash attack.

Phenomena 1) drastically reduces defensive effectiveness in VO4, however it also reduces offense because it prevents you from doing the style of continuous-barrage attacks that is often done in upper-level VOOT play.

Phenomena 3) actually existed in VOOM and VOOT too. In both VOOM and VOOT there were 2 kinds of dash which I used to call Type 1 and Type 2 since no one else had a name for them. One is achieved by pressing a dash button at neutral then pressing a direction afterwards. And the other is achieved by pressing a dash button while already holding a direction. In VOOT, the second type is usually the better version and lets you attack the instant you start dashing, while the first type has a tiny delay before you can fire. In VOOM, the first type was usually the better version and had only a small delay before you could fire, while the second type had a humongous delay of over 1 second before you could dash attack.

In Force, there is only one kind of dash regardless of which method you use to input it, and it has a small delay before you can fire. Exceptions are Temjin and Fei-Yen who have only a tiny delay before they can fire (it's an important strength to me, makes them extra quick to respond and punish) and Angelan who has a huge half-second delay before a dash attack can be done (makes her poor at direct combat and forces her to be more of a distance VR).