Getting used to Twin Stick Controls

Discuss the Virtual-On series.
GXPT2000
Gamertag: Brain Leech 419

Getting used to Twin Stick Controls

Post by GXPT2000 »

I have been tyring to use the Twin Stick controls on the PS2 with Marz(with the pad though). So far, I think it is pretty hard to get used to..

How long did you guys practice to be somewhat good at these controls?(since the first time you played with twin sticks)
Is it hard to achieve if you are already used to pad controls?? I would love to play with twin sticks some day, but it seems to take a lot of practice.
VOOM: Temjin, Viper II, Dorkas.
VOOT: Temjin, Aph B.
VO4: Temjin, Aph J/C, Myzr Delta.
DeepInTheHops
Virtual-On Positive
Gamertag: DaveRudolph

Re: Getting used to Twin Stick Controls

Post by DeepInTheHops »

As far as I know, nobody really uses the twin stick setup on the gamepad, at least for VOOT. I think it's a lot better in theory than it is in practice.

As for using real twin sticks, I learned VOOT on a pad, then bought twin sticks like a year and a half later, and never really made a great transition. I don't think I ever got as good with the sticks as I was with the pad. Although to be fair, there was more VOOT activity when I was playing with a pad, and switching to twin sticks at that point requiring unlearning a lot of old habits, which was awkward.

Some things are easier with sticks, some are easier with a pad. I do feel that what you play with will influence your play style. Part of me wonders how my VOOT playing would have been different had I played with twin sticks from the ground up.
Porcupine
Virtual-On Positive

Post by Porcupine »

I played with twin sticks from the ground up, starting with both VOOM and VOOT in the arcade. However, once I had access to console versions and controllers, I was immediately quicker and faster with the controller.

Unfortunately, there's some stuffs that you can do faster or better on twinsticks, like certain kinds of rotation, so as you said neither is superior to the other, and the one you use will probably influence the way you play a little.
neoKEN
Virtual-On Positive
Gamertag: neoKEN360

Post by neoKEN »

I originally used twin analog for VOOT 360. It is playable, but since it isn't digital, doing neutral crouch attacks are near impossible. I had to use a button just for crouch attacks. Standard controls, twin analog, and real twin sticks each have their own benefits over another.

On Playstation, the analogs are too loose compared to 360 which makes using a twin analog setup even worse. Perhaps, that is why you are having difficulties with the controls in Marz.
VR: Bal-bados, Angelan, ALL.
See you on IRC! Server: EFNET Channel: #VIRTUALON
Virtual-On Videos from Japan, NA, & EU http://www.youtube.com/xneoken
GXPT2000
Gamertag: Brain Leech 419

Post by GXPT2000 »

I guess it could be hard to learn that with analogs....
might just have to get to try the actual thing to make a judgement?
VOOM: Temjin, Viper II, Dorkas.
VOOT: Temjin, Aph B.
VO4: Temjin, Aph J/C, Myzr Delta.
twistedsymphony
Virtual-On Positive
Gamertag: twistedsymphony

Post by twistedsymphony »

yeah I've never had much of a problem using the arcade sticks but if I try to use analog sticks as a twin sitck setup I'm useless.... the default (non twin-stick) control setup is actually pretty good, I think I'm actually much better using a pad with that setup than the real twin sticks.

then again I've only ever used twin sticks on an OMG arcade which are pretty slow and clunky, I've heard the console twin sticks or VOOT/Force arcade sticks are better.