neoKEN
Virtual-On Positive
Gamertag: neoKEN360

Virtual On Series 20th Anniversary

Post by neoKEN »

http://www.siliconera.com/2013/09/18/vi ... 4TieQxq.99
By Eugene . September 18, 2013 . 2:28pm

Virtual On Series Might Have Comeback Plans For 20th Anniversary

Recently, Virtual On received a memorial talk show live on Nico Nico, bringing in Sega designer Mori Yasuhiro (right) alongside model makers Volks and Hasegawa. The talk show also featured exhibition matches from the series.

Of note, at the end of the event, Sega’s Mori made two cryptic comments sure to inflame gossip. First, Mori stated “Virtual On is still alive!” He then went on to add that “Something might wake up [on Virtual On’s 20th anniversary]”. The series celebrates its 20th anniversary in 2015.

Whether this means a new game could be in development or just a spur of the moment line remains to be seen. The talk show centered primarily around how both model makers created their line of plastic model kits. Sega’s Mori provided them with “high end CG” capable of being rendered and understood, said both makers.
VR: Bal-bados, Angelan, ALL.
See you on IRC! Server: EFNET Channel: #VIRTUALON
Virtual-On Videos from Japan, NA, & EU http://www.youtube.com/xneoken
MentholMoose
Virtual-On Positive
Gamertag: MentholMoose
PSN: MentholMoose_

Re: Virtual On Series 20th Anniversary

Post by MentholMoose »

Thanks for the link. Unfortunately, Sega continually disappoints its fans, especially VO fans, so I won't be holding my breath.
MentholMoose
Porcupine
Virtual-On Positive

Post by Porcupine »

its time to wake up

the show is coming to the sticks

then people cheered
MentholMoose
Virtual-On Positive

Post by MentholMoose »

If they do release a new VO, it will probably be MARZ 2, VO: Card Battle, Hatsune Miku: Project VO, or something similar. It will sell poorly and they will forget about the series for another 8 years, then spend 4-5 years re-releasing new ports on the consoles of the time to build up demand, wait another 2 years and release MARZ 3.
MentholMoose
Porcupine
Virtual-On Positive

Post by Porcupine »

I've never gotten into the Hatsune Miku video games thing, though I have a couple figures of the character. So I'm not too sure what it's about. I wouldn't mind a Hatsune Miku: Project VO though.
Schooly D
Virtual-On Positive
Gamertag: Schooly D

Post by Schooly D »

MentholMoose wrote:If they do release a new VO, it will probably be MARZ 2, VO: Card Battle, Hatsune Miku: Project VO, or something similar.
I love you.

My guess is, if something happens, it will be figurine/re-release related.
Made in Malaysia by Kurt Russell and Goldie Hawn
MentholMoose
Virtual-On Positive

Post by MentholMoose »

Schooly D wrote:
MentholMoose wrote:If they do release a new VO, it will probably be MARZ 2, VO: Card Battle, Hatsune Miku: Project VO, or something similar.
I love you.

My guess is, if something happens, it will be figurine/re-release related.
lol yeah, probably a new color variant of some existing model.
MentholMoose
DarkraiZero
Gamertag: Darkrai100234

Post by DarkraiZero »

Who knows? It may actually be something good but yes, it will probably be a MARZ 2 or a Hatsune Miku VO like everyone else is saying... However, We will have to wait 2 years to see. :)
OMG: Apharmd, Temjin, Bal-Bas-Bow
VOOT: Temjin, Bal-Bados
VO4: Specineff 13 The Sin
twistedsymphony
Virtual-On Positive
Gamertag: twistedsymphony

Post by twistedsymphony »

Sega hasn't had any good game ideas since the Dreamcast went belly up... if you're lucky they'll trot out a crappy sequel from your favorite franchise.

I'm with Schooly D, probably re-relaese or figurine related.

Honestly now would be the perfect time for a legit sequel to Force... since Street Fighter IV fighting games have been steadily coming back into popularity especially with events like EVO getting a lot more publicity, a solid new entry from unique game like VO would likely be well received.

Sadly we'll probably just get a Marz HD re-release on XBLA/PSN and maybe some new figurines.
DarkraiZero

Post by DarkraiZero »

Marz already got an HD release on the PSN store for PS Classics when OMG released for the SEGA MODEL2 Collection. I guess they could release update with trophy support and online capabilities but since it was released on the store as a "Playstation Classic" and not a PSN game, it would be very unlikely... :(
Porcupine
Virtual-On Positive

Post by Porcupine »

Wait, Marz has no trophies? Woohoo I hate trophies! I thought all PS3 games had to have trophies these days?

What's "Playstation Classic" as opposed to PSN game? I've never purchased a whole game from PSN before, just game add-on DLC.

Does OMG have trophies?
DarkraiZero

Post by DarkraiZero »

"Playstation Classic" is just simply the PS2/PS1 version released for download. No extra additions to the game such as online play or graphic enhancements. Yes, OMG does have trophies as the Xbox version has achievements. Though, All the trophies/achievements have to be done in the Arcade mode. There are no online trophies so you don't have to get any trophies if you don't want to. :D
MasterFygar
Virtual-On Positive
Gamertag: MasterFygar

Post by MasterFygar »

I'm hoping for a full on new game with an arcade release. I know I'll just get crushed, but let me dream while I can, damn it!
ImageImage
DarkraiZero

Post by DarkraiZero »

Even if a new VO game does release, it will most likely be Japan-Only along with VO4. If Sega was not willing to release the XBLA/PSN version of OMG, I highly doubt they would release a completely new VO game. Console release probably would not be a problem since it would be region-free most likely but as for an Arcade release, ...Nope :lol:
Fredo
Virtual-On Positive
Gamertag: Fredo EA8D

Post by Fredo »

More maids, bunnygirls, Loli, boobies DLCs and Hatsune Miku.

Fan service killed Virtual On. Fan service is slowly killing Japan's creativity.

Dammit, OT is the climax of Virtual On, take it, add some Force optional teamwork, add some new awesome VRs (damn I WANT to play with that OMR HBV-05 Raiden Custom) but not as many as in Force, add some new gameplay features (I don't know, force fields ? mines ? CQC duels ? a new combo system ? flying combats ?), Arcade version with Twin Stick controls and that's it, best game ever.
VOOT: Raiden, Apharmd C, Apharmd B, Cypher, Temjin

French VO Pilot !
Porcupine
Virtual-On Positive

Post by Porcupine »

It doesn't seem to me that OT is more popular in Japan than Force is. Rather, they seem to have attracted separate groups of enthusiasts. So they complement each other well.

I don't mind that the VO series ended. It lived a long time and established a franchise. There are some other run-on fighting game series that deserve to die but just won't die out, and keep producing new crap that dishonors the original titles. I don't want that to happen to VO.

What I'd really like to see in the next generation of consoles is for the current practice of re-releasing old classics to also go to the next-level. Developers should put in the resources to improve the graphics beyond just tinkering with the lighting. They should remodel the characters with modern polygon counts. Then we could keep enjoying the timeless classics forever without looking like we are playing games from the stone ages (which is the only real problem with playing old games).
ChexGuy
Virtual-On Positive
PSN: TheChexGuy

Post by ChexGuy »

In the modern gaming world, an "HD Remaster" usually means you have to screw up the game on some level.
ImageImage
Testament/Seven7
Virtual-On Positive

Post by Testament/Seven7 »

MentholMoose wrote: Hatsune Miku: Project VO
I'd buy that XD

Actually, translate OMR into an english e-book, and release VOOT 5.66 and the model 2 collection on steam, I be happy.

Hell, even 5.45 as a DC revisit on steam would be cool.
Marz First Lt. Testament, Temjin pilot

Xbox live gamertag: Lt Testament
ChexGuy
Virtual-On Positive
PSN: TheChexGuy

Post by ChexGuy »

I'd be all over any game on Steam, the only way I currently can play any game is with emulators (I could buy OMG on PSN but I don't have an account set up atm).

The tiny glimmer of hope stems from the fact that SEGA's already put a few DC games on Steam. On another company's front (but still related to 360-rereleases of DC games), Treasure released Ikaruga a couple of months ago and talked about a possible Radiant Silvergun release.

Unfortunately we all know how much SEGA hates the west so that glimmer fades in and out.
ImageImage
twistedsymphony
Virtual-On Positive
Gamertag: twistedsymphony

Post by twistedsymphony »

ChexGuy wrote:I'd be all over any game on Steam, the only way I currently can play any game is with emulators (I could buy OMG on PSN but I don't have an account set up atm).

The tiny glimmer of hope stems from the fact that SEGA's already put a few DC games on Steam. On another company's front (but still related to 360-rereleases of DC games), Treasure released Ikaruga a couple of months ago and talked about a possible Radiant Silvergun release.

Unfortunately we all know how much SEGA hates the west so that glimmer fades in and out.

Do you actually run VOOT or Force via emulator?

I know the "Model 2 Emulator" runs the Arcade version of OMG pretty much perfectly

Supposedly the Model 3 Roms for VOOT have some encrypted graphics which prevents them from being emulated.

Last time I tried 5.66 on Demul it ran but it was pretty choppy, I never bothered trying it on any other NAOMI emulators.

Demul supposedly does Hikaru but I've never seen anyone use it to run Force... There's another Hikaru emulator under development too called "Valkarye" but I don't think that's really playable yet either, nor have I see Force running on it.

-------------------------------

Somewhat On-Topic... I almost wonder if Sega would be more likely to wait until the 25th anniversary to do something. Consider they didn't do anything (to my knowledge) for the 10th but they DID release the Memorial Box for the 15th... something new on the 25th would make more sense than a 20th celebration... or maybe I'm just being optimistic.