Cheap NAOMI Hardware

Discuss the Virtual-On series.
twistedsymphony
Virtual-On Positive
Gamertag: twistedsymphony

Cheap NAOMI Hardware

Post by twistedsymphony »

Someone on KLOV got 2 pallets full of NAOMI hardware and they're re-selling them super cheap

http://forums.arcade-museum.com/showthread.php?t=307306

If you're interested in picking up NAOMI cheap now is your chance.

You'll still need a VOOT cart (obviously) but the mainboards are being sold here are about half their normal price.

Other parts you'll need to make NAOMI work:
NAOMI has VGA output for video as well as RCA stereo output for Audio, Controller I/O is handled by the "JVS" protocol... however you CAN modify the connector on a Dreamcast controller to work with a NAOMI, otherwise you'll need to buy one of several JVS I/O boards to give you pins to work with.

The power is provided by proprietary connectors, you can either buy a NAOMI power supply (which can get expensive) or supposedly you can modify the connector on a PC power supply to work... I know there is's a guy in the UK that used to sell PC power supply adapter through Arcade Otaku for about $10 but I can't seem to find the link.

If you plan on linking 2 units together you'll also need a pair of "link boards" these are small boards that go between the cartridge and the main board and enables NAOMI unit's to be networked together (via optical toslink cables)... you'll need 1 link board for each NAOMI unit as well as 1 toslink cable per NAOMI unit (these are normal optical cables like what was used on home stereos for surround sound before HDMI).

Other Information about NAOMI/other Games/Other Options:
IF you're interested in playing other NAOMI games it's worth noting that the more powerful NAOMI 2 can play both NAOMI 1 and NAOMI 2 games. only a NAOMI 2 can play NAOMI 2 games, though there aren't very many so it's not really needed unless you want to play Virtua Fighter 4 or Initial D Arcade Stage 1-3.

Another thing to note... there is a device called a "Net Dimm" board (not to be confused with a normal "Dimm" board) if you have one of these with the latest firmware you can load NAOMI ROMS from a PC via the either net port... Also they sell Compact Flash adapters allowing you to load NAOMI roms via Compat Flash Memory cards...

Recently a few different people developed a special version of Linux for the $35 Raspberry Pi (a cheap miniture Linux Computer) that can load Roms into the Net Dimm http://capane-us.github.io/piforcetools/

Someone also figured out a way to run games originally released for the Atomiswave arcade hardware (Guilty Gear, Dolphin Blue, etc.) on NAOMI using a net Dimm setup... Atomiswave is also based on the Dreamcast so the games worked with a little bit of tweaking.

The Net Dimm and the R-Pi or CF card setup an also be used on Chihiro arcade Hardware (House of the Dead 3, Wangan Midnight, and Crazy Taxi High Roller, etc.) as well as Tri-Force Arcade Hardware (Mario Kart GP and F-Zero AX) though for those you'll need a Net-Dimm with more RAM installed, any amount of ram should work for NAOMI units.

Net-Dimm boards with the 3.17 or Higher Firmware (this is what you need) generally go for $130-$150, There was a group buy on KLOV recently to get these for $100 even.

CF adapters generally go for about $150 WITHOUT the cable to connect them (which itself can be hard to find and usually goes for $20-$30 alone) There is a guy that sells CF adapter PCBs for $20 if you're interested in hunting down the parts and soldering it together yourself... there's a lot of surface mount soldering so you need to have some pretty elite skills to make it happen.

Can you play VOOT via Net-Dimm instead of buying a Cartridge?
There is a site that provides downloads of NAOMI, Chihiro, Tri-Force and Atomiswave Roms all setup and ready to be used on a Net-Dimm (I'm not going to post the link for legal reasons) but for whatever reason no one has ever modified the NAOMI VOOT ROM for use through a Net Dimm.

The ROM for VOOT is out there and does work through PC emulation... supposedly there is a conversion tool to modify MAME style NAOMI roms for use with Net Dimm but I haven't yet found it... If you know where I can get this tool let me know.

Someone recently tried to organize a Group-Buy of Bootleg VOOT Cartridges through ArcadeModBios: http://forums.arcade-museum.com/showthread.php?t=307875 the price was going to be about $230 per cart which I think was more money than anyone was willing to pay for a bootleg.

I'd personally rather try to get VOOT running through a Net-Dimm.

-----------

I don't know how many of you are interested in running legit arcade hardware for VOOT but I figured I'd provide this information and links to those that are interested.
Fallsmyer
Gamertag: KBMF

Re: Cheap NAOMI Hardware

Post by Fallsmyer »

Thanks for the info. Just made an account to try and post in that thread but can't make one yet. Would definitely like to snag one of those Naomi boards.
twistedsymphony
Virtual-On Positive
Gamertag: twistedsymphony

Post by twistedsymphony »

Fallsmyer wrote:Thanks for the info. Just made an account to try and post in that thread but can't make one yet. Would definitely like to snag one of those Naomi boards.
you might be able to PM him

I think in order to post on the forums you either need to make a $2 donation or list an existing member as a reference... you're welcome to use me as your reference.
Fallsmyer
Gamertag: KBMF

Post by Fallsmyer »

Yeah I can't send a PM. For the reference thing I think it has to be done on your end. I use the registered for the forum using the same name as here, Fallsmyer. If you have a moment to verify me, that would be appreciated.