Tower Challenge

Discuss the Virtual-On series.
Porcupine
Virtual-On Positive

Tower Challenge

Post by Porcupine »

The last few weeks have been interesting, with the return of anikingVOOT, and limited appearances by MentholMoose and Schooly D. Unfortunately they also showed that it's unlikely we will be able to do the Veteran-vs-New team challenge I had planned a while back.

The MentholMoose/Schooly/anikingVOOT power team is fine, but the problem is that there is not enough interest from the other team. Only me and Zaarock showed up every time, and while we are probably the main contenders from the "new" team anyway, the "new" team should be the one with more members. FlyExponent would also be a main contender on the "new" team but he decided not to participate with us.

So I had an idea for a new game! The top Japanese players sometimes have an event that is like a Tower Challenge. They sit in a lobby and visiting challengers have to defeat them all in a row to win the challenge. In the videos I saw, no one ever beat the challenge.

I was thinking that we could host our own "Tower of Lag" for Japanese challengers, maybe on anikingVOOT's Saturday night. Depending on which of us are present, it could look like:

Raiden/Specineff/Dordray (anikingVOOT)
Cypher (Zaarock or Schooly D)
Apharmd B (Schooly D)
Fei-Yen Kn (Porcupine)
Grys-Vok (MentholMoose or FlyExponent)
Bal-Bados (neoken)
Temjin (anyone)

I tried to copy the order of the opponents in Arcade or Score Attack mode. Our dedicated Temjin players are kinda iffy but that fits in character with the CPU Temjin. :D
neoKEN
Virtual-On Positive
Gamertag: neoKEN360

Re: Tower Challenge

Post by neoKEN »

That is interesting, but who can communicate Japanese to the Japanese players? :roll: Aniking is not always around.
VR: Bal-bados, Angelan, ALL.
See you on IRC! Server: EFNET Channel: #VIRTUALON
Virtual-On Videos from Japan, NA, & EU http://www.youtube.com/xneoken
Schooly D
Virtual-On Positive
Gamertag: Schooly D

Post by Schooly D »

That is an interesting idea.

I could see a situation where the tower and rules are laid out in advance in Japanese and posted wherever those guys convene. I'd even volunteer to stream. Unfortunately I can't think of many Japanese players who are still active and would be interested.

And does Moose know you're putting him below you, Porc?
Made in Malaysia by Kurt Russell and Goldie Hawn
Porcupine
Virtual-On Positive

Post by Porcupine »

I put MentholMoose below me to simulate the order of AI opponents you encounter in Score Attack mode. If you guys prefer to have the challenge be in order of skill, then he can be above me. I just thought it was amusing that by coincidence our levels of skill are similar to the order of appearance of the AI in single-player modes.

I'm totally fine with going first because that way I get the most matches.

It's true even the Japanese VOOT scene has become quite inactive. But so far, on anikingVOOT's nights, it's been mostly Japanese players on. All of them were players I'd never seen before.