Here's the exciting new VO game we've all been hearing about

Discuss the Virtual-On series.
Porcupine
Virtual-On Positive

Here's the exciting new VO game we've all been hearing about

Post by Porcupine »

http://www.4gamer.net/games/120/G012075/20140616050/

My guess is that this is the exciting VO news they were trying to tease last year.
ChexGuy
Virtual-On Positive
PSN: TheChexGuy

Re: Here's the exciting new VO game we've all been hearing a

Post by ChexGuy »

...confirming that Sega murders small children for pleasure.

I don't want to sound too pessimistic and think it's their "exciting announcement" but I also wouldn't put it past them.
ImageImage
twistedsymphony
Virtual-On Positive
Gamertag: twistedsymphony

Post by twistedsymphony »

So... basically Phantasy Star Online 2 will offer a few select VO Force themed costumes, weapons, and a lobby for a limited time.
MentholMoose
Virtual-On Positive
Gamertag: MentholMoose
PSN: MentholMoose_

Post by MentholMoose »

And no US release as expected. :roll:
MentholMoose
FlyExponent
Gamertag: FlyExponent

Post by FlyExponent »

ChexGuy wrote:...confirming that Sega murders small children for pleasure.

Ha. That got a chuckle out of me, for some odd reason. But VO is just teaser and kit material now. Them coming out with a new VO game is like trying to play Mario Party 3: I could worry about it, but why should I?

The closest we're gonna get to is Gundam Extreme Vs. And even if we did *theoretically* get a new VO game, while I never played it in my own hands, this:

I wouldn't want it even if it did happen. If what I heard about the first one is right, I don't need Sega with a possibility of an even crappier second. #TheSegaSaleStrangler #TrollgaInc
Attachments
virtual on.jpg
(16.11 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Porcupine
Virtual-On Positive

Post by Porcupine »

Although I dislike alternative mechanics even more (First Person Shooters) I'm not as enamored with the VOOT game mechanics as some others. I like VOOM and Force about the same, and while I've never tried Marz, who knows I might like it.

I wouldn't mind if a new VO game were not very VO-like. It could be an RPG or MMORPG, or a FPS game, or a 6v6 game, or even a RTS. I might like it. One thing I think might be fun is the ability to hide in a big map, which I think is an element of some FPS games. This way if I suck I can hide in the corner or in a box and hope everyone forgets about me.

The main thing I want to see is improved graphics. That's the big edge Force has over VOOT for me.
ChexGuy
Virtual-On Positive

Post by ChexGuy »

MentholMoose wrote:And no US release as expected. :roll:
PSO2's western release was supposed to happen a year or two ago already.
ImageImage
MentholMoose
Virtual-On Positive

Post by MentholMoose »

ChexGuy wrote:
MentholMoose wrote:And no US release as expected. :roll:
PSO2's western release was supposed to happen a year or two ago already.
Yeah I heard. Even worse is that an official English translation is being released, but only in... wait for it... Asia. :evil:

<ot>It is probably for the best since there is no way I should play PSO2 or any MMORPG. Apparently I lack self control when it comes to this genre. I played the original PSO and v2 on Dreamcast too much and caused problems for myself. I finally quit that thing, but I picked it up again when Blue Burst was in beta. I somehow managed to rack up something like 40 hours in three days before saying enough is enough. I haven't touched another MMORPG since.</ot>
MentholMoose
VOTwinstick
Gamertag: VOTwinstick

Post by VOTwinstick »

I'd say there is whole lot more people in Japan playing PSO2 than any other Sega game. PSOes phone game has incorporated Border Break. More are playing BB in their arcades than Force 4. BB even has a show on NicoNico!

Force is being withdrawn from several arcades in Japan over this last year. The inclusion Temjin & Fey-Yen in PSO2 Ep.3 is a rekindling. Promoting Virtual-On to the masses playing PSO2. Some VO players in Japan play PSO2. Sega is happy enough, more may buy Force 4 on Xbox and more VO players play PSO2 instigated from this promotion. Monies for Force in the arcade is drying up. But the excitement and name recognition to this crossover is what Sega has invested in.

Sega of Japan, since last summer has held VO promotional events. Most are modeling kit related, new products and competitions. Temjin "D-Spec" introduced a week just before Ep.3! And sanctioning Godsgarden VO tourney, declared "VO is alive", @Espior_cup demonstrate VO series game play against devs, @vow_2010 openly discussing OMR3 development, dropping (I believe) VO teasers (see pic) & his bio: responsible VO reboot! Also a certain someone DM'ed me a "snip it" about VO, I can't disclose "until it's realized".

Games with mechs are surrounding Sega. *Konami*... with Vic Troopers...really?

12/22/2010 the 15yr Memorial box was released. Japan friends got theirs for Christmas, we got after.

I will say, something is in the hopper, we just got to wait till Christmas 2015 to see if it does hop out.

You think when Marz for PS2 was being developed, the team was looking over at the PSO team for ideas?

Marz on PS2 I tried for 10mins & quit. Mikhal says Marz on PS3 Sega cleaned up & he likes it.

Sega is throwing everything at PSO2. It's a success. Now being attacked by hackers even. Asian Eng version, has special cultural costumes and what I've seen... graphically better. Rebuilt game with DX11? Original is DX9. We get PSO2. Just gotta wait till Steam console is released.
Attachments
Tremers.png
@VOTwinstick on Twitter / VOTwinstick on Twitch & Niconico / VO-MC / Temjin from Green Hills to Jupiter!
ChexGuy
Virtual-On Positive

Post by ChexGuy »

VOTwinstick wrote:Sega is throwing everything at PSO2. It's a success. Now being attacked by hackers even. Asian Eng version, has special cultural costumes and what I've seen... graphically better. Rebuilt game with DX11? Original is DX9. We get PSO2. Just gotta wait till Steam console is released.
The thing is, players who already have characters on the Japanese servers won't be willing to abandon their progress just to be on their "own" servers - and there's absolutely no chance of a character migrator because not being in Japan and playing on Japanese PSO2 servers is against the TOS. I'm pretty sure almost everyone that wants to play PSO2 is already playing it on either the Japanese servers or the English Asian client.

Also Sega hates their western fanbase.
ImageImage
Viper2
Virtual-On Positive

Post by Viper2 »

ChexGuy wrote:Also Sega hates their western fanbase.
In other news, upon posting of this comment all copies of XBox Virtual-On Force suddenly became region-locked (oh, wait, they didn't!).
Remember, kiddies in the West: Sega hates your guts and will do anything to show that. Like releasing contents in other games in their primary market for a franchise they apparently deem worthy of such contents in that market, while instead it should rot in a cave somewhere deep underground because otherwise their primary market could enjoy it more than less important markets.

Of course, if Sega were releasing this contents outside Japan/Asia, there would be a load of whining too, because this kind of fanwank (what else?) officially released by a company looking to make money (how dare they be commercial?) is not focused on the primary subject of Virtual-On games and therefore a waste of money (filthy opportunists!). Ev*l B*st*rds.

Or perhaps another option is true:

1) Japan and, by extension, Asia is Sega's primary market.
2) The existence of Western Virtual-On players is known, but only makes up a very small part of Sega's income. Therefore catering to them in the same manner as Japanese players is not worthwhile - besides, the Western players are so hardcore they tend to keep an eye on developments in Cyber Trooper-land.
3) Sega wants to keep Virtual-On alive and make a big announcement in 2015, yet does not have enough funding to do so, or is not sure there is enough interest in a follow-up game to recoup their development costs.
4) So Sega bring out merchandise to bring in more money, and also increase the exposure of Virtual-On to potentially interested players by making Virtual-On related contents available in other games. This way they increase the chance that an eventual follow-up to the main game series is a success.

But why am I trying to apply logic about sound business decisions to a situation that obviously ought to be reacted to by claiming "SEGA" stands for "Silently Exacting Gigantic Asshattery against western audiences"? I must be mad. MAD.
ChexGuy
Virtual-On Positive

Post by ChexGuy »

my post was entirely about PSO2 but ok

but even if Japan is the primary market for PSO2, it doesn't change the fact that they actually promised a US/western release back in 2012, delayed it in early 2013, then proceeded to go completely silent about it and release an English client for Asia.
ImageImage
MentholMoose
Virtual-On Positive

Post by MentholMoose »

Viper2 wrote:3) Sega wants to keep Virtual-On alive and make a big announcement in 2015, yet does not have enough funding to do so, or is not sure there is enough interest in a follow-up game to recoup their development costs.
The thing is, they've been doing this for years. With all their not-so-subtle hints they've lost all credibility. In the absence of some tangible evidence it is hard to believe they actually plan to release a new VO game.
MentholMoose