OMG (VOOM) tier list/match-up chart

Discuss the Virtual-On series.
SoulGuitarist

OMG (VOOM) tier list/match-up chart

Post by SoulGuitarist » 09 Feb 2016, 04:44

For those that follow @ifield on Twitter, you may know that he traveled to various game centers in Japan and composed a match-up chart awhile back during OMG's PSN/XBLA release. However, not many people know about this list. The tier list went through multiple revisions and this is the final one.

For those who don't know ifield, he is pretty much one of the OMG experts who took it to the next step. He used to be extremely active on both PSN and XBLA. He left the XBLA version early on due to the large amount of players on PSN but as of now, he has stopped playing PSN version. I'm not sure if he plays at all anymore.

I think ifield's list is pretty solid. What are your thoughts?

Is there anything you would change?

Porcupine
Virtual-On Positive

Re: OMG (VOOM) tier list/match-up chart

Post by Porcupine » 09 Feb 2016, 15:50

Overall I sort of agree with his list, but do other Japanese players agree with him? My main remarks are:

1) The scaling seems extreme. The worst matchups in VOOT are 8:2 and that is only for weak VRs. This VOOM chart has numerous 9:1 and 10:0 matchups. That's understandable since VOOM is a simpler game, and accepted to be unbalanced, but I still question if it is as bad as this.

2) I've noticed the new generation of Japanese VOOM players rank certain characters differently, but I still believe in the old generation's rankings. Namely that the bottom three by a wide margin are Raiden, Fei-Yen, and Belgdor. It boils down to a disagreement over Belgdor's worth.

3) Dorkas and Viper II are good, maybe the best at some levels of play. I agree they should be placed next to each other, as their strengths/weaknesses are oddly similar. But there should be a bigger numerical gap in the "total" column between them and the bottom tier.

4) Even if this list applies to the highest known level of play, parts of it certainly don't apply to the vast majority of players. There's no way that Temjin-Viper is 10:0, or Temjin-Bal is 9:1, except I guess in the secret village of elders.

SoulGuitarist

Post by SoulGuitarist » 10 Feb 2016, 06:27

Majority of the Japanese agree with him and this is aimed towards the highest level of play.

BAL and Temjin are easily some of Temjin's best MUs if you don't get cocky and dash around and shoot randomly. You need to successfully force the opponent to jump and punish on landing. The issue that may make that a task is depending on the stage. stages with many obstacles can allow Viper and BAL players to plan accordingly and land each jump in a way you can't punish them. If that's the case, you have to once again bait them but requires abit more work.

Porcupine
Virtual-On Positive

Post by Porcupine » 10 Feb 2016, 16:49

10:0 is supposed to mean you are totally invincible and guaranteed to win every time. So stages must have no effect on the outcome at the highest level of play. At least that's how the VOOT tier list was scaled. Perhaps this list uses a different definition for what 10:0 means?

SoulGuitarist

Post by SoulGuitarist » 11 Feb 2016, 05:58

nononononon those were just my views on the MU.

Stages do not play a part in this tier list.