Any suggestion to punish the coward type players?

Discuss the Virtual-On series.
VarryoSchwert
Gamertag: varryochoco

Any suggestion to punish the coward type players?

Post by VarryoSchwert »

CellularSign141, this dude love to keep away in a whole game which is very annoying. The matches become less fun.
Any good suggestion to punish this type of player?

It's time to make a discussion about punishing tactics to the Japanese players.
Porcupine
Virtual-On Positive

Re: Any suggestion to punish the coward type players?

Post by Porcupine »

It's very hard to defeat the runaway mode. I think a challenge of this game is trying to get good at all aspects. One way to classify the skill aspects could be: 1) temjin-style dash attack 2) ranged projectile shooting 3) close combat 4) runaway 5) anti-runaway. The different aspects also blend in to various extents. Anti-runaway skills are probably the most difficult to develop.
Porcupine
Virtual-On Positive

Post by Porcupine »

I played CellullarSign141 this morning two matches using Specineff and he was Fei-Yen. I just ran away in a circle the whole time and he got mad and stopped playing with me. :(

I didn't do that on purpose to annoy him or anything. That's just the best way for Specineff to play.
Zaarock
Virtual-On Positive
Gamertag: Zaarock
PSN: xaerock

Post by Zaarock »

1: Be super patient and dont let them get a health lead or annoy you with their tactics. So accept that you can't rushdown every player or play better keepaway yourself.

2: try a character / playstyle that's good against cowardly play
Bal-Bados: Has extremely good ability to hit people and with experience to punish predictable runaway. If they leave you alone you can set up a bunch of mines and complex attacks along with ridiculous stuff like KATENA's invisible pyramids. If you're a good bal-bados most people need to keep rushing you down so you dont need to worry about them playing cowardly.

Raiden: In theory should be able to punish predictable cowardly play. A single prediction laser cage out of a rotating airdash/dash or instant laser can make you win the match. After one hit you're probably on the health lead and they can no longer keepaway. There's a clear reason this is Cyphers worst matchup.

Grys-Vok: like bal-bados can keep constant hard to dodge attack barrages while defending himself with napalm at the same time. But sorta low damage output so you need to be patient.

Cypher/Specineff: cypher has great ability to hit anyone with dagger variants and the best antiair game of all characters with backdash crCW so he's decent at dealing with people who like to jump away from your rushdown. Specineff gets virtually guaranteed hits on people whenever they land near him using diagonaldash crCW.

+a character with generally a lot of health like Temjin should have less trouble with keepaway since it takes more hits for enemy to have health lead (for example this is why cyp vs tem is thought slightly in tem favor, temjin gets the most health in any matchup and takes a ton of punishment)

3: Against any opponent if you use unsafe moves/tactics like unsafe dash attacks that can be reacted to (like if someone blocks a super move in a 2D fighter) you'll get blown up. If your opponent likes to runaway than just a couple mistakes like this can make you lose. In 'neutral' game try to use safe/neutral moves unless there's a reason not to. This isn't to say there aren't safe times to use various dash or right turbo attacks, you just need to recognize what they are and this comes with experience. For example temjin has a common tactic of purposefully throwing a grenade infront of himself and performing a dash attack inside the explosion. As for bad situations if someone reacts to your dash attack by airdash cancelling at close range you'll probably take a bad melee hit since they can just chop you while you're in the recovery animation.

It's ironic that Angelan who is designed for keepaway is a pretty weak VR.
VOOT 2019 guide | VO4 Guide | 2009-generation
VarryoSchwert
Gamertag: varryochoco

Post by VarryoSchwert »

Thx, I have change my 1 1/2 decade ago of Cypher habit which is where I started playing VO from VOOT(1998).
My old main VR Cypher. When I play Raiden, I still have the old thing from Cypher.
My old days VRs are Cypher & Specineff.
In VO4, Raiden is my main back to the arcade(2001).
Porcupine
Virtual-On Positive

Post by Porcupine »

We are having this same discussion in VOTwinstick's forum I encourage people to check both threads out.