Looking to pick up MARZ and OMG. Anything I should know?

Discuss the Virtual-On series.
Sixfortyfive
Virtual-On Positive

Looking to pick up MARZ and OMG. Anything I should know?

Post by Sixfortyfive »

I know that neither of these games are as liked as VOOT (OMG for being obsolete, MARZ for being lackluster), but I'd like to try them both out anyway. Right now I'm thinking of picking up the US version of MARZ and the JP PS2 version of OMG, but I wanted to know if these are the definitive versions of each game before buying. Are any of the Saturn versions of OMG (original, Netlink version) or the JP version of MARZ worth looking at? Any features that are exclusive to any particular versions?
MentholMoose
Virtual-On Positive
Gamertag: MentholMoose
PSN: MentholMoose_

Re: Looking to pick up MARZ and OMG. Anything I should know?

Post by MentholMoose »

OMG is actually well liked by many people. I was only ever into VOOT, though. Anyway, from what I understand, OMG on PS2 is the closest to the arcade. The Saturn and PC version are very different.

As for MARZ, the US version is missing much of the storyline that was included in the Japanese version, however, everything is in Japanese in the Japanese version.
MentholMoose
Trump111

Post by Trump111 »

The PS2 OMG is the best version of the game you can buy.
Sega goes through such pains as replicating the odd fifty-something frames per second and original resolution.
It also contains both the music tracks from the original Model 2 version of the game and the Sega Saturn release, though I honestly don't notice their differences much.
Anyway, you don't even have to think twice about getting that beauty.

As for MARZ, I'm not sure what they removed for the American version. I'll say that the game in general is idiotically programmed to a frustrating degree with long load times. The story they put in is somewhat moronic too. It's biggest value is from being the only home version of Force there is... though it doesn't even have all the VRs, and I bet you know how much fun it is to fight against the computer after a while.
Sixfortyfive
Virtual-On Positive

Post by Sixfortyfive »

Thanks, guys.
Spiff

Post by Spiff »

You're probably already aware, but when you play OMG for the first time it's going to be a bit trickier than OT. Dash canceling is done a bit differently(Hold the sticks in the opposite direction of your dash and press dash again if I remember correctly), and it's like everyone is using the 1080SP, no air dashing, watari dashing, curve dashing, double jump, or turbo weapon variants. Viper II/Cypher's SLC dive also makes him/her(It?) invincible for the duration of the attack AND autoaims, except if you do it too close to the opponent you just end up dragging him around without doing damage, and you'll get smacked hard when you come out of it.

As for MARZ, yes it's horrible, but some of the boss fights are still really fun.

SPOILARZ BELOW LOL:

I thought the double Jaguarandi, double Z-Gradt, and double Bradtos(They're called Stratos in MARZ lol) fights were awesome. There's also an optional boss fight(You're forced into the battle but you don't have to win) against a crackheaded super Temjin that will, simply put, annihilate you. The fact that MARZ has mini Z-Gradts is also hilarious.
GT: Specineff XIII
VRs: Specineff, Raiden, Aph. B, Aph. C, Stein-Vok
Dordray makes me cry.
RVR - 42
Virtual-On Positive

Post by RVR - 42 »

Oh yea OMG is quite amazing to be honest. Being, what, 15 years old...the game is quite a feat. But MARZ...looking back at what high hopes I had for that game and then playing it. Marz is forever known as VOM[it] to me and my friends. But I gotta admit some of those boss battles did own. :) And even some of he Vrs had really cool designs[because Lord knows they didn't control well] But seriously...if you get them both[VOM(it), especially] you must really love the series. :P
"Nuh uh uh"
Nusakan

Post by Nusakan »

Don't forget the fantastic voice acting in MARz. I mean it!!! >_>;

I tried to play it again last month, got kinda far starting from the begining but it was getting more and more annoying.
Mkz717

Post by Mkz717 »

somebody have MARZ's ISO???

and the PCS2X 0.9.6 that work with the game?
M k z 7 1 7 (VON.net's Alias: Markinhus)
Testament/Seven7
Virtual-On Positive

Post by Testament/Seven7 »

to the best of my knowlage, ps2 emulation is still far from perfect, or functional.

Also, ps2's are cheap now-a-days.

Now then,

*MARZ SPOILERS*
(known changes from jp to usa version, this might not be all of them)

Synopses mode removed (avalable during the story mode screen where you launched, it was a summery of the story and events thus far in the game, wherever you are in game)

Garrayuaka (prolly butchered the spelling) in the jp version whould say "gomen" when knocked down or getting the crap beaten out of (gomen=sorry) this was removed in the usa version.

In the Jp version, you can unlock a version of the opening sequence that has Hatter taunting/spouting during his fight with the 747, this was removed in the us version.

*story spoiler*
In story mode, there comes a part where you must fight 2 Raidens from DNA's SHBVD (special heavy battle virtuaroid division), Sargent's Gill and Leddin respectively. You have a parter ai with you. If you let your partner fall (recomended, since the ai is hit or mostly miss in this game, good for a shield tho ^^) then a cutscene triggers, your being faced down by both raidens, and sargent Hatter comes in and tells them to scram, pretty much. In the japanese version, Leddin mentions Unit Commander Progner, in the american version this was removed (we get a "unit commander" and thats it) Just as well, most usa players won't know who progner is anyway.

*all versions, still a spoiler*
There's also an optional boss fight(You're forced into the battle but you don't have to win) against a crackheaded super Temjin that will, simply put, annihilate you.
VR-747 A8 Temjin A8

Pilot: Vishtien (i think it's supposed to be a germin name?) Callsign: The White Knight (which may be a flat out storyline blunder, not sure)

In your fight against him, his VR is powered up by every positive powerup in the game. He is apparently so fast, there's a light trail left behind by the VR's marker lights, my favorate effect in the game. It is apperently possable to win, but it's also apperently the hardest fight in the game. Before your fight against him, he partners with you, and isn't powered up. I think he still has the light trail though.

I think thats it....

*end spoilers*

Yes, i own the american version of the game, no, i dont regret it. It has it's shortcommings compaired to the other games sure, but its a fun game on it's own. Testament recomends adding it to any VO collection.
Marz First Lt. Testament, Temjin pilot

Xbox live gamertag: Lt Testament
circuscommando
Virtual-On Positive

Post by circuscommando »

try isohunt for the ISO to marz, may have it, as for PS2 emulation, i know it can be done, only some ps2 games are possible (while retaining good framerate and also few glitches). It is also possible to emulate saturn, 64 (most games can be emulated, some are more difficult than others), and to a certain extent PS1/PSX; having a good computer will also help (mine is too crappy to play saturn).

testament is right though, i could probably buy a PS2 at a store for $40-$60 or even cheaper from a friend.
Sixfortyfive
Virtual-On Positive

Post by Sixfortyfive »

Been playing Marz's story for a couple hours now. At every turn I keep thinking to myself how much I'd enjoy it if it just played a little more like VOOT. I like the team aspect, and I like how the battle arenas are a little more elaborate and varied. I just wish it didn't feel so sluggish. It's not so much the "speed" of the VRs that bothers me, I think. It's just that half of Temjin's weapons seem nerfed compared to VOOT (even though I never really put a lot of time into him specifically). The tracking for dash attacks and his surfboard special in particular just seem practically nonexistent.

I'll probably end up unlocking everything and then shelving the game.

EDIT: Hatter almost makes up for the rest of the game just by himself.

YES!
GOOD JOB!
CONGRATULATION!
ORAORAORAORAORAORAORAORAORAORAORAORAORAORAORAORAORAORAORA
Testament/Seven7
Virtual-On Positive

Sixfortyfive wrote:

YES!
GOOD JOB!
CONGRATULATION!

Which version of the game are you playing again?

Also, the only one that plays like ot is Temjin type A8, you don't have to do too much to unlock it, it's pretty straight forward, just gotta beat the game....on the hardest difficulty setting.

Actually, i need to double check that, but i'm pretty sure thats it.

Spiff

Post by Spiff »

Testament/Seven7 wrote:
Sixfortyfive wrote:

YES!
GOOD JOB!
CONGRATULATION!

Which version of the game are you playing again?

Also, the only one that plays like ot is Temjin type A8, you don't have to do too much to unlock it, it's pretty straight forward, just gotta beat the game....on the hardest difficulty setting.

Actually, i need to double check that, but i'm pretty sure thats it.
Yeah, beat the game on ultimate, everything's easy once you get the 747J and the 747J/V, but the A8 just takes the cake. If you want to get it I'd just play until getting either one of the afore-mentioned Temjins and starting back up on ultimate. There's not much of a difference in difficulties either. Granted, the "Guard the truck" missions are annoying. D:
Dordray makes me cry.
Testament/Seven7
Virtual-On Positive

Found a funny bug

Just a quick post about a bug i found in dramatic mode of Marz. Slight story spoilers.

I hit select on one of the earth stages to use a recovery disk, and for 4 or 5 seconds i saw instead the starting animation for the recovery dash, after that it went to normal and used a recovery disk, but i've never seen this bug before. Sargent hatter was my wingman, so it was post 2nd fight with rose sisters, pre second fight with z-gradt.

Anyone seen any other glitches in any version of Marz? This is the first time ive seen it and i've put a good number of hours into the game. It's not harmfull in any way, but i'd like to know anymore funny stories.

Mkz717

Post by Mkz717 »

Is it possible to get 747 J/V and MBV747 AII with some cheat code???

I am playing now ... and ... now i am the VERY HARD STORY

Other one asks ... how I can obtain the colors of the virtuaroids. 707S and 707S/V has one only color?

747 J/V is only japanese MARZ?
Sixfortyfive
Virtual-On Positive

Re: Found a funny bug

Post by Sixfortyfive »

PS2 OMG finally arrived in the mail yesterday, so I've been putting some time into it. It's a very complete package as far as I can tell, and the presentation is very nice. M2 almost always does a great job with their Sega ports.

Some comments and questions:

- There's a Barrier Field option, which knocks the player back if he touches the edge of the stage, an Assault Mode (close combat only, similar to DC VOOT's Infight Mode, I think), and a Chibi Mode (small VRs with big heads).
- There's a simple Dash Cancel option, which makes this mechanic play more like VOOT.
- The extra first-person view is kind of amusing.
- Z-Gradt mode is funny. You don't even have to use the sun cannon at all, which means you pretty much can't ever die.
- What does the "SAVE AI" menu option do? Is it something similar to VF2's learning data where the AI tries to adjust to and counter your play style?
- The "EXTRA MOVE" option seems to give various VRs new special moves that weren't in the arcade version, some of which have been taken from VOOT. Is this correct?
- Can you unlock Z-Gradt for the VR Collection? Jaguarandi and Boss Fei-Yen are there, but not him.
- Is Boss Fei-Yen in the original game? Considering that its name in this version is "Unofficial" and that there's a Last Boss toggle option that appears to disable it, I doubt it, but I wanted to make sure.
- Can link/network play be used over the Internet? I assume not, and I doubt I'd have the opportunity or interest to test it, but eh.

And being able to disable all of the extra features so that it more-closely matches the Model 2 original is a nice and appropriate touch. You can even disable the title screen GUI and make it so that the attract sequence and credit system match the original arcade version.

The core game might be primitive compared to VOOT, but I can't say it's not enjoyable.

I've sort of put Marz on hold, as I was getting frustrated with Chapter 6 on Ultimate mode. Having to clear multiple stages in succession without losing suuuuucks. And I'm really bad at fighting the MLTNs for some reason. >_>

I was aware that Marz had only a limited selection of the Force VRs before I got it, but I didn't quite expect the selection to be as lopsided as it is. There are roughly a dozen Temjins, Apharmds, and Voxes, but only 1 each of Fei-Yen, Bal, Angelan, Specineff and no Kagekiyo at all. That's kinda nuts.

I also need to double-check the game credits. From the sound of it, Hatter is voiced by Takenobu Mitsuyoshi, Mr. Daytona USA himself.
Testament/Seven7 wrote:I hit select on one of the earth stages to use a recovery disk, and for 4 or 5 seconds i saw instead the starting animation for the recovery dash, after that it went to normal and used a recovery disk, but i've never seen this bug before. Sargent hatter was my wingman, so it was post 2nd fight with rose sisters, pre second fight with z-gradt.
This happened to me once, and I think it happened when I tried using a recovery disc when I already had full health (and maybe my partner had full health as well, not sure).
Sixfortyfive
Virtual-On Positive

Post by Sixfortyfive »

FINALLY beat Marz on Ultimate difficulty. I was making chapter 6 way harder than it needed to be.

The various missions in Marz are assigned somewhat randomly, and they can be exploited in various ways by reloading your save file until you get a desirable result. For example, the first chapter is always the Mars Central Area, but subsequent chapters are assigned in a random order. You might head to Earth before the Moon, or it might be the other way around. And the individual missions in each chapter are also somewhat random. I never got a single "protect the convoy" mission in my first playthrough, and when I discovered how aggravating they were in my second, I simply restarted until I got something more tolerable.

Then there's Chapter 6, where you get to pick from the existing areas you've been to and have to clear multiple missions without breaks. You have to clear as few as 2 or as many as 5, and there's no rhyme or reason how this number is determined. The FAQ that I was using for reference said that you lose a Daimon Fragment each time you fail a mission in this chapter, thus erasing some of your progress, so I kept reloading from my last save every time I lost and basically failed to get anywhere for a long time because I'm terrible at fighting some specific bosses.

Anyway, out of desperation I decided to see if that particular bit of information in the FAQ was actually true. It wasn't. Losing any mission in this chapter does carry a risk (you can only lose so many times before Tangram activates and it's instant Game Over), but it doesn't set you back by making you clear additional levels. And the mission count and assigned boss are re-randomized upon a loss, so you can just fail until you get lucky and end up only having to complete 2 missions at a time with Z-Gradt or something comparably easy for the boss.

Chapter 7 is almost a joke in comparison. A sweet, merciful, welcome joke. It's impossible to run out of repair discs! With Ultimate mode cleared and Super Temjin unlocked, finishing off the rest of the single-player content should be a breeze.

And I made sure to pay close attention to the credits this time. Takenobu Mitsuyoshi IS the voice of Hatter after all! Only he could deliver such powerful Engrish, and it makes this a lot less strange now. :lol:
Mkz717

Post by Mkz717 »

Ready!!!! I already have a Temjin type a8! Marz finished! It's nice to play with the VR.

Does Somebody know how I get the colors of the VR's?
and how to unlock 747J / V?

and how can I play with the sisters MYRZ Rose?
Spiff

Post by Spiff »

Certain VRs only have one or two color schemes as far as I know, and the J/V should've been unlocked on your first playthrough after beating the earth missions iirc, I know mine was.

The special VRs like the Rose Myzrs and the SHBVD Raidens are unlocked by beating them after you achieve a certain rank in the military system the game has, which serves no other purpose, btw.

The Rose Myzrs are exactly the same except slightly faster, Sylvie's Myzr has the fourway shot for turbo CW and only needs the CW gauge for the SLC dive attacks, though.
SHBVD Raidens have double the speed of the default Raidens.
Dordray makes me cry.
Sixfortyfive
Virtual-On Positive

Post by Sixfortyfive »

Spiff wrote:Certain VRs only have one or two color schemes as far as I know, and the J/V should've been unlocked on your first playthrough after beating the earth missions iirc, I know mine was.
Second playthrough. You have to continue from a clear file and beat the Earth missions again. This one took me a little while to find, as it didn't even have a placeholder in the VR Collection until after it was unlocked. Most VRs have dark silhouettes in the collection to show you that you still have stuff to obtain, but this one and one other (Temjin 747-HII-A) did not.

How many total VRs are there, by the way? My VR Collection lists a possible 39 including some that I've yet to unlock (mostly boss VRs that require a high rank), but this number has increased since I started the game due to the 2 previously mentioned Temjins.

This page has a bunch of relevant information, but I can't read all of it. I'm curious about color scheme unlocks myself. I seem to have 5 available for the VRs that can use multiple color schemes.

EDIT: I also noticed that the game played a lot more BGM from VOOT on my clear file run than in any of my first, which I thought was kind of odd/neat. It was way too frequent for it to be a coincidence, I think.