Wartech and Virtual-On comparison?

Discuss the Virtual-On series.
neoKEN
Virtual-On Positive
Gamertag: neoKEN360

Wartech and Virtual-On comparison?

Post by neoKEN »

I constantly see Wartech being said that it is like Virtual-On, usually in game reviews.

Superficially, they both have 2 robot versus and shoot a lot of stuff.However, I do not see any resemblance in GAMEPLAY between Wartech and Virtual-On. If there really are resemblance in gameplay, can someone list them?
VR: Bal-bados, Angelan, ALL.
See you on IRC! Server: EFNET Channel: #VIRTUALON
Virtual-On Videos from Japan, NA, & EU http://www.youtube.com/xneoken
Sixfortyfive
Virtual-On Positive

Re: Wartech and Virtual-On comparison?

Post by Sixfortyfive »

http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/senkon ... oronde.htm

Senko no Ronde is basically a 2D Virtual On with curtain fire and boss transformations.
Nusakan

Post by Nusakan »

I've had this game for a while and couldn't get into it. This game is similar to two other games that I can't name for some reason, i have both but i'd have to go find them, I would rather play those than Sonde no Ronde. There was something about Senko no ronde I didn't like.

As for curtain fire... i'll stick with the Touhou Series =D

Edit: I remember now, the two were "Acceleration of Suguri" and "Touhou Gensokyo Rensa"
Last edited by Nusakan on 30 Jul 2009, 19:06, edited 1 time in total.
circuscommando
Virtual-On Positive

Post by circuscommando »

bullet hell, man that game is hard, i downloaded the danmakufu engine. but programming has never been my forte so i couldn't really figure out how it works, which is too bad because i had already been planning out a Robot Shmup with designs and even started on the sprites. :cry:
Zaarock
Virtual-On Positive
Gamertag: Zaarock
PSN: xaerock

Post by Zaarock »

That HCG101 article is pretty nice. Senko no Ronde DUO has just came out in arcades a few weeks ago, and it looks damn good. I'll get the 360 port when it comes out & I get a japanese 360.

I love both VOOT and senko, so I can probably list some stuff. I havent played senko in a while though, should start playing it more with the various friends I have on XBL. In Senko I only use Changpo B, I love using her because of the dash main attack she has. Once I got good at vector dashing I could do all kinds of crazy stuff with the attack. The subweapon homing lasers are also nice when vector dashing, I actually made some graphical strategy thing on this for fun: http://img246.imageshack.us/img246/9905 ... gy1vo8.png. I guess I use Cypher in VOOT for similar reasons.

Similarities:
Same dashing system(except you can also dash cancel with shield in senko), this makes the rhythm of the games pretty similar. Dash Canceling is also required to do multiple special barrages in quick succession, it will reset a timer. Also has a similar melee system with seperate range for each weapon and melee dash. Melee dashing actually cancels projectiles with some characters which can make for some interesting techniques.

Some differences you might not know of(apart from BOSS):
A lot of barrage attacks give the players invulnerability frames, these are mostly used to counter bullet hell attacks. Explosions go through invulnerability frames(for example mika's missiles). Only Homing laser and Missile attacks are homing in the game, once I started playing VOOT I found it very weird that pretty much every projectile was homing hehe.
VOOT 2019 guide | VO4 Guide | 2009-generation
SixtyHz

Post by SixtyHz »

Senko is more like Psychic FOrce than VOOT... and since Grev are X-taito employees i would bet it's really the spiritual sequel to PF more than VO. Though VOOT borrowed several interesting elements from PF especially in their long range combat (PF has some amazing projectile control ideas - much like some of senko's stuff)... my 2 cents