Welcome VO fans

Discuss the Virtual-On series.
VMS

Re: Welcome VO fans

Post by VMS »

Greetings from an old-school Sega Saturn VO:OMG Netlink user. Any other Netlinkers in the house? The few of us in the USA got up to some furiously competitive modem action back in '97-'99.

I played VOOT on DC minimally because of the lack of competition all around (no arcades, no online, no one willing to system link), so I'm getting excited for 360. This forum's a great resource - I'm looking forward to contributing. Cheers.
The super fighter invigorated us
MentholMoose
Virtual-On Positive
Gamertag: MentholMoose
PSN: MentholMoose_

Post by MentholMoose »

Welcome, VMS! I got into VO with VOOT on DC, so I missed out on the Saturn Netlink action. Luckily in my area there was a decent sized VO scene, so the competition was good.
MentholMoose
Aya Kyunik

Post by Aya Kyunik »

I was one of those guys who could not afford a Saturn ;_;
I was dying for it tho, to the point where I had dreams lol

Nice to see more and more VO fans gathering XD
moeidolatry.com
The photogenic idolisation of pixel, plastic and nonsense~
Fei-Yen Fever
Long Shadow

Post by Long Shadow »

Welcome VMS.

Did you have to have a special version of Saturn Virtual On to play over NetLink? I've got a US version of Saturn VO (disc only) and it doesn't say anything about NetLink on the disc.
Also, how smooth/laggy was the online play?
DarK-SuN

Post by DarK-SuN »

Welcome aboard, VMS. :)

Wow, VOOM Netlink, that was never released here in Europe, how reliable (and playable) was it?
GamerTag: Ichimoto
VOOM: Apharmd and Raiden VR Pilot
VOOT: Apharmd B, Apharmd C and Raiden VR Pilot
MARZ: Apharmd J, APJ AC, Apharmd HATTER and Raiden VR Pilot
Dreamcazman
Virtual-On Positive

Post by Dreamcazman »

Geez I'm a slack arse, I've been here for nearly a month and never got around to introducing myself, for that I apologise.

Anyway salutations everyone, I'm from Australia, and I've been playing VO since the Saturn and immediately I was hooked. In fact I won my copy through a local games magazine. I bought a copy something like two weeks before I realised I had won. When I received my free copy I returned it to where I bought my other copy from and got a refund! I was a teenager then so I needed the dosh to buy more Saturn games. ;)

Then getting VO:OT for the DC was a no-brainer. I imported a Japanese copy along with a 4-wire modchip and had great fun. The sticks are definately a must on DC. I got a set from a local importer, then sold them for twice what I paid, then picked up another brand new set in Japan soon after. :shock:

I've always been a solo player and never actually played against another human as none of my friend's really got into it like I did. I'm looking forward to playing against some of you over LIVE soon.

Just to add, I'm fairly technically minded so if anyone needed help in the projects department (modding, custom stick cases, etc), feel free to ask. I'm building my own sticks and will have a detailed log with photos when I'm done.
MentholMoose
Virtual-On Positive

Post by MentholMoose »

Welcome! I just realized that I didn't provide the measurements you asked for... whoops!! Did your Saturn sticks show up yet? I'll do it tonight, as long as evenpar123 doesn't create another thread to bait me into writing another mega-post. :)
MentholMoose
Dreamcazman
Virtual-On Positive

Post by Dreamcazman »

MentholMoose wrote:Welcome! I just realized that I didn't provide the measurements you asked for... whoops!! Did your Saturn sticks show up yet? I'll do it tonight, as long as evenpar123 doesn't create another thread to bait me into writing another mega-post. :)
Haha, no that's cool. My sticks haven't arrived yet, they're coming by boat, and it's been three weeks so it should be soon.

I started the case and guesstimated the measurements off my DC sticks along with photos off the net, so I hope I got it right. Worked out that they should be around 35 - 40mm deep. Made it slightly bigger too just in case. But if you wouldn't mind posting the exact sizing, I'd really appreciate it.

Also, while you are digging around in there, can you check something else for me. Do the sticks use those small ph connectors on the individual stick micro switch PCB's themselves or are the wires soldered on. It's a bit hard to see in the photos I've got. Basically what I'd like to know is if the setup is the same as the DC sticks. Thanks man. :D
MentholMoose
Virtual-On Positive

Post by MentholMoose »

Dreamcazman wrote:
MentholMoose wrote:Welcome! I just realized that I didn't provide the measurements you asked for... whoops!! Did your Saturn sticks show up yet? I'll do it tonight, as long as evenpar123 doesn't create another thread to bait me into writing another mega-post. :)
Haha, no that's cool. My sticks haven't arrived yet, they're coming by boat, and it's been three weeks so it should be soon.

I started the case and guesstimated the measurements off my DC sticks along with photos off the net, so I hope I got it right. Worked out that they should be around 35 - 40mm deep. Made it slightly bigger too just in case. But if you wouldn't mind posting the exact sizing, I'd really appreciate it.

Also, while you are digging around in there, can you check something else for me. Do the sticks use those small ph connectors on the individual stick micro switch PCB's themselves or are the wires soldered on. It's a bit hard to see in the photos I've got. Basically what I'd like to know is if the setup is the same as the DC sticks. Thanks man. :D
I'll get the measurements ASAP. I do know about the stick PCBs off hand, though. They aren't exactly like the ones in the DC Twin Sticks, in that the wiring is soldered directly to the stick PCBs, with connectors on the other side for connecting to the controller PCB (the wiring for the DC stick PCB has connectors on both end, not soldered anywhere). The connectors in the DC Twin Sticks and Saturn Twin Sticks are not the same and not compatible.

I don't know what the connectors in the Saturn Twin Sticks are; they had some numbers on them, but I couldn't find any information anywhere. They are from 1996 though, so chances are they are discontinued anyway. I actually removed one of the Saturn stick PCBs so I can take it to an electronics shop and hopefully find a compatible connector, but I haven't had a chance yet, so it's been sitting on my desk for several weeks. mocking me. :lol: IIRC a standard IDE header almost works, since it has the correct pin spacing, but the header pins are just slightly too thick. So at least I know what I need, but I don't know if it exists or where to buy it. :(

However, this actually isn't too bad for modding Saturn Twin Sticks, since the mod can still be reversed without finding compatible connectors (just not really "plug and play"): for the mod, just desolder the existing wiring from the stick PCB, and solder wiring to your Xbox 360 controller PCB; for reversing, just solder the original wiring back on. I guess you can actually do this for the buttons, too, but it's a bit more complicated (you have to run new wiring up through the sticks and to the turbo/weapon PCB at the top of each stick). If you don't care about reversibility, just clip off the connectors and you're good to go. :)

This may be the way to go, so I think I should just update my Saturn Twin Sticks mod thread with some photos detailing the solder points. Since the game is coming out next week, I'll plan on taking care of this over the weekend, so the brave souls out there can get their Saturn Twin Sticks ready!
MentholMoose
Dreamcazman
Virtual-On Positive

Post by Dreamcazman »

MentholMoose wrote:I'll get the measurements ASAP. I do know about the stick PCBs off hand, though. They aren't exactly like the ones in the DC Twin Sticks, in that the wiring is soldered directly to the stick PCBs, with connectors on the other side for connecting to the controller PCB (the wiring for the DC stick PCB has connectors on both end, not soldered anywhere). The connectors in the DC Twin Sticks and Saturn Twin Sticks are not the same and not compatible.

I don't know what the connectors in the Saturn Twin Sticks are; they had some numbers on them, but I couldn't find any information anywhere. They are from 1996 though, so chances are they are discontinued anyway. I actually removed one of the Saturn stick PCBs so I can take it to an electronics shop and hopefully find a compatible connector, but I haven't had a chance yet, so it's been sitting on my desk for several weeks. mocking me. :lol: IIRC a standard IDE header almost works, since it has the correct pin spacing, but the header pins are just slightly too thick. So at least I know what I need, but I don't know if it exists or where to buy it. :(

However, this actually isn't too bad for modding Saturn Twin Sticks, since the mod can still be reversed without finding compatible connectors (just not really "plug and play"): for the mod, just desolder the existing wiring from the stick PCB, and solder wiring to your Xbox 360 controller PCB; for reversing, just solder the original wiring back on. I guess you can actually do this for the buttons, too, but it's a bit more complicated (you have to run new wiring up through the sticks and to the turbo/weapon PCB at the top of each stick). If you don't care about reversibility, just clip off the connectors and you're good to go. :)

This may be the way to go, so I think I should just update my Saturn Twin Sticks mod thread with some photos detailing the solder points. Since the game is coming out next week, I'll plan on taking care of this over the weekend, so the brave souls out there can get their Saturn Twin Sticks ready!
Thanks for the update, if my wires are soldered too (which they should be) then that's easy. I'll just desolder the old wires and attach new ones. Don't go to the trouble of finding out about the connectors for my benefit, chances are I wouldn't be able to get them locally anyway :(

I was going to do this for the buttons as well (like you mentioned) Pull the thing apart, give it a good clean out and lube anything that may need lubrication. I'd just like to keep the parts as 'unmodified' as I can, to preserve reversibility in case I ever have to put it back together. Although whenever I've done something like this in the past, it's never went back to it's former state. :lol:
Iceman30

Post by Iceman30 »

Its nice to finally find a group of fellow VO fans as most of my friends have never heard of it or didn't get into it very much (or at all). I first saw VOOM at a local arcade many years ago and was instantly hooked like many here and instantly wondered if it was going to come home to the Saturn. A few weeks later it was announced and eventually imported a pair of twin sticks which also opened the door to importing many other games. I just wanted to introduce myself and thank those that put this site together and I look forward to seeing you all online whenever this is released stateside.

Here's to Sega releasing the twin sticks! :mrgreen:
Gamertag - Apharmd01
VMS

Post by VMS »

Long Shadow wrote:Welcome VMS.

Did you have to have a special version of Saturn Virtual On to play over NetLink? I've got a US version of Saturn VO (disc only) and it doesn't say anything about NetLink on the disc.
Also, how smooth/laggy was the online play?
Yes, there was a special version that you got for free with the modem. It came in a normal CD-sized jewel case along with Sega Rally, both part of a free Netlink game pack. The special version also allowed you to customize the virtuaroid colors.

I don't mean to cross-post - I posted this in the media section, but take a look here to see how well it performed: http://www.youtube.com/virtuaroid

Cheers.
The super fighter invigorated us
Long Shadow

Post by Long Shadow »

Cool. I didn't notice you other post before :oops:

From the videos, it looks very playable, of over a 28.8 at that. Though the start of one of the vids looked like there was some player pauses (lag?) in the action, making in look not very playable, but then later in that video, and other videos, the action looked fine and responsive. Great vids. It's good to see such passion in people about such things. Thanks for sharing.
RVR - 42
Virtual-On Positive

Post by RVR - 42 »

Hahah I love that avatar Long Shadow. Who knew rodents could play SF so effectively, huh? But wow...welcome, welcome! So many people here now! It's great. I know it's growing at a rather fast rate now, but I assume once it actually comes out on LIVE, it'll be ridiculous here. We gotta keep it going too. I hate that I missed out on the VO era when it was huge. It's the second coming...

just wish I had a 360. >_<
"Nuh uh uh"
Henshin1

Post by Henshin1 »

I missed the VO era when it was huge too.
It seemed like i was one of veryyyyyy few who'd play voot at my arcade for love of the game. And then there'd always be children who come along and abuse the sticks like crazy. And then you'd have a DNA side with a very sensitive, broken left stick and no left turbo, and an RNA side with no right weapon and no left turbo, and then you'd have to decide which can I play on to have a more enjoyable game.
It usually took those guys aaages to get it repaired too and when they did, kids would just come along and break it again. It was so sad :( At least now the game is on xbox 360 that problem wont be happening no more :D
Frostycyke

Post by Frostycyke »

Maybe I should I say howdy in between spamming this baord with my useless drivel.

I'm frostycyke, named after the greatest and highly under-rated X-men character Cyclops! the Frosty part is partly becuase I like to think that I am cool, but mainly becuase Emma Frost is friggin hot! I had to add the frosty segment when joining Xbox live, becuase someone much less cooler than myself already took Cyke. Unfortunately, this name has resulted in most of the uneducated members of Xbox live community- present company excluded, of course-calling me Frosty Cake, which just makes me hungy.

Luckily, I am a old- been 29 twice- married father of two, that has a wife who enjoys making frosted cakes. So that takes care of the hunger. Unluckily, I am in the military who frowns on the idea of their active duty members to eat more cake than is needed, which forces me to work out, in order to keep my job. and for that I blame the Jack-ass that took the name of Cyke first.

I was raised on Sega, like all good children of the early 90's should have been. The Saturn remains my favorite console, as it had the greatest collection of arcade perfect 2D fighters ever! I also was able to discover the wonder that was Virtual On: Operation Moongate, and stayed a faithful console lover of the series until the mighty Dreamcast was no more. My arcade and twin stick experience was slim, as the closest arcade of VO was located in another state. So I plan to reaclimate myself to VO, and have enough experience losing in almost every fighting game ever made to knock the rust off of my meager VOOT skills.

Xbox GT- Frostycyke
MentholMoose
Virtual-On Positive

Post by MentholMoose »

Mmm, cake, now I'm hungry! :D I was wondering what Cyke was, I thought maybe a motorcycle or something, but a frosty motorcycle didn't make much sense! :lol: Anyway, welcome!
MentholMoose
Dreamcazman
Virtual-On Positive

Post by Dreamcazman »

Yeah, welcome Frosty to our little VO community we have here.

How old are your ankle biters? My son's 6 months old in about a week - makes playing games a second priority... Actually third priority if you include the wife. :lol:

The 80's & 90's was the best time to grow up in I reckon, best music, best games. Most kids nowadays think video gaming started with the Playstation.. :roll:
circuscommando
Virtual-On Positive

Post by circuscommando »

i haven't really introduced my self either XD, yeah, um the name comes from my love of circus, (youtube.com/circuscommando) but i chose it because when googled at first, no one else had it XD so i grabbed it.

I make sprites, so i am looking forward to the 5.66 color and image thing, and i also do a lot of art.

whatever VO craze may have been in vermont went completely over my head, but i remember playing it at the arcade.

dreamcazman: remember when games were brutally hard? that's why i collect genesis, snes, nes, dreamcast, n64 (and soon - atari 2600)
Dreamcazman
Virtual-On Positive

Post by Dreamcazman »

circuscommando wrote:dreamcazman: remember when games were brutally hard? that's why i collect genesis, snes, nes, dreamcast, n64 (and soon - atari 2600)
Hmmm, those were the days. Most games are too damn easy now, what are they trying to do, make us soft or something! :shock: