virtual on PC fix on newer OS? online play?

Discuss the Virtual-On series.
vipermk2

virtual on PC fix on newer OS? online play?

Post by vipermk2 »

I just found my old copy of virtual on for the PC. I still had the big box that came with it as well :D
Problem is, I did a full install on it and plays fine on high res graphics with XP SP2 but when you lose a match it should go to the gameover countdown screen but just displays a generic windows error message to send to microsoft. and shuts down the program.
Any ideas on how to get round this? more importantly, does the internet online function still work?

-vipermk2
wraith88

Re: virtual on PC fix on newer OS? online play?

Post by wraith88 »

I was able to get OMG to work on XP and Vista by emulating a copy of Windows 98 using Virtual PC 2007 (free download from Microsoft).
As for online play, never tried it myself but halfway down this Japanese thread somebody posts in english and links to some vpn software called Hamachi to enable netplay.
vipermk2

Post by vipermk2 »

wraith88 wrote:I was able to get OMG to work on XP and Vista by emulating a copy of Windows 98 using Virtual PC 2007 (free download from Microsoft).
As for online play, never tried it myself but halfway down this Japanese thread somebody posts in english and links to some vpn software called Hamachi to enable netplay.
great! thanks for that. I still have my copy of windows 98. I did the install on my xp sp2 pc. However, there seems to be a common problem with the error message at windows 98 start bios with virtual pc 2007. how did you get pass the error messages: vnetsup.vxd, vredir.vxd, dfs.vxd and msnp32.dll
because of these message, it gets into windows GUI but cant load up the game due to the drivers stuck in 16 colors.
whats strange is, there is no drivers in the windows32 folder on the virtual pc.

EDIT: got it working without the errors. just did a quick re-install and it works awesome :D the best thing to do is, leave most of the RAM and hardrive settings as default. thanks again wraith88, I will look into the network play a bit later. just having too much fun right now!
Kiddo

Post by Kiddo »

wraith88 wrote:I was able to get OMG to work on XP and Vista by emulating a copy of Windows 98 using Virtual PC 2007 (free download from Microsoft).
I recall a few buddies of mine using Hamachi to set up a private server for an MMORPG.
As for Virtual On PC, though, I was not able to boot it up on this comp. I also tried a Model 2 emulator but it was slow and, for some reason, mostly monochrome.
circuscommando
Virtual-On Positive

Post by circuscommando »

vipermk2 wrote:I just found my old copy of virtual on for the PC. I still had the big box that came with it as well :D
Problem is, I did a full install on it and plays fine on high res graphics with XP SP2 but when you lose a match it should go to the gameover countdown screen but just displays a generic windows error message to send to microsoft. and shuts down the program.
Any ideas on how to get round this? more importantly, does the internet online function still work?

-vipermk2

simple: Don't lose
somepunk
Virtual-On Positive

Post by somepunk »

The model 2 emulator is awesome IF you can run it properly, it runs full speed on mine, and I rock the American and Japanese VOOM.
Masters is in my last name, so you know I'm good! - Ken Masters