Hori Twin Stick specs

Discuss the Virtual-On series.
wraith88

Hori Twin Stick specs

Post by wraith88 »

Hori has released the specs on it's website of the shipped Twin Sticks set to arrive in Japanese households tomorrow.

30,000 yen gets you the controller weighing in at approximately 4.4kg (9.7 lbs). And a cleaning cloth.
MentholMoose
Virtual-On Positive
Gamertag: MentholMoose
PSN: MentholMoose_

Re: Hori Twin Stick specs

Post by MentholMoose »

Here are some pics taken by gokiburi (shared on our IRC channel).

MentholMoose
shamanic_beat
Virtual-On Positive

Post by shamanic_beat »

Knoxximus
Virtual-On Positive

Post by Knoxximus »

Any word on how long it will take them to get stateside if ordered through NCX?
Sergeant Knoxximus, Pilot #24 reporting for duty SIR!!
MentholMoose
Virtual-On Positive

Post by MentholMoose »

Knoxximus wrote:Any word on how long it will take them to get stateside if ordered through NCX?
It seems to be sometime this week!!
The long wait for Hori's special production of the Xbox 360 Twinsticks should be over by next week. NCS will contact customers once we receive confirmation of the shipment from Japan.
Source: http://www.ncsx.com/2009/112309/ncs1123u.htm
MentholMoose
wraith88

Post by wraith88 »

Thanks for posting the pics MM - that thing is a beast!
MentholMoose
Virtual-On Positive

Post by MentholMoose »

A lot more pics here (thx to gokiburi for the link):

http://www.4gamer.net/games/085/G008596/20091130004/
MentholMoose
azeledge

Post by azeledge »

Got email from NCS today. I guess the weight was way higher than they expected. According to their shipping manifest each package weighs 27 pounds approximately. Which doesnt make sense according to the above posts. Anyways its gonna cost about $28 bucks more for shipping to get mine. I spent WAY too much for Twinsticks!
Knoxximus
Virtual-On Positive

Post by Knoxximus »

You and me both, brother...you and me both. Welcome to the forum, by the way! :D

Mine shipped today...according to UPS, shipping weight is 16 lbs.
Kiddo

Post by Kiddo »

Hope to see a review of the stick around here at some point.

Unfortuantely I doubt I'll ever get one - if I nab the XBLA version of VOOT I'll probably use the modded Playstation Twin Stick I got for Marz.
MentholMoose
Virtual-On Positive

Post by MentholMoose »

Kiddo wrote:Hope to see a review of the stick around here at some point.
Several forum members have ordered it, so hopefully they will post some impressions... also hopefully they will play more!! ;)
MentholMoose
Knoxximus
Virtual-On Positive

Post by Knoxximus »

MentholMoose wrote:
Kiddo wrote:Hope to see a review of the stick around here at some point.
Several forum members have ordered it, so hopefully they will post some impressions... also hopefully they will play more!! ;)
I promise that you guys will see me rise from the dead over the holidays! :mrgreen:
azeledge

Post by azeledge »

Thanks for the Welcome! :D
MentholMoose
Virtual-On Positive

Post by MentholMoose »

Anyone receive their twin sticks from NCS yet??
MentholMoose
azeledge

Post by azeledge »

Yes got mine yesterday! They are Huge! very solid heavy base made of metal and a hard molded plastic.

I'm by far a huge fan of the game but a horrible player. So I can't give intricate details about skill level moves with the sticks. But I own both SS and DC sticks and the Hori one puts them to shame. It really is of arcade quality.

I haven't played any opponents yet, just the singleplayer. I will join some matches soon over the holiday. I'll be an easy win for all you guys! :D
MentholMoose
Virtual-On Positive

Post by MentholMoose »

azeledge wrote:Yes got mine yesterday! They are Huge! very solid heavy base made of metal and a hard molded plastic.

I'm by far a huge fan of the game but a horrible player. So I can't give intricate details about skill level moves with the sticks. But I own both SS and DC sticks and the Hori one puts them to shame. It really is of arcade quality.

I haven't played any opponents yet, just the singleplayer. I will join some matches soon over the holiday. I'll be an easy win for all you guys! :D
Have you had a chance to play online yet? What's your gamertag? I didn't see you post it in the GamerTags thread.
MentholMoose
azeledge

Post by azeledge »

GamerTag = AzelEdge

nope no competive games yet.
DeepInTheHops
Virtual-On Positive
Gamertag: DaveRudolph

Post by DeepInTheHops »

Does anybody know what the general consensus is about these sticks? Do the Japanese players like them? How do they stack up compared to SS, DC, and arcade sticks? All I know is that they're big, heavy, have arcade spacing between the sticks, and use Sanwa parts. And expensive, of course. :cry:
Knoxximus
Virtual-On Positive

Post by Knoxximus »

I too got my Twin Sticks. It is definitely Hi-Grade. However, since I've gotten used to playing with my modded DC sticks, I'm afraid I have to get used to these a bit, because the throw on the sticks seems a taaaaad bit farther than my DC sticks. Which leads me to this conundrum...I know that I have to push a little harder/farther on them, but, since I paid so much for them I also want to baby them. Hopefully as I fiddle faddle with them some more, over time I'll find that happy medium.

But yeah, I don't regret the purchase at all! :mrgreen:

DeepInTheHops: To me, the DC sticks seem tighter...not saying that the Hori sticks are loosey goosey, but after playing with the DC sticks for so long, you can definitely tell the difference. Other than that, the construction is definitely solid.
CRAZYDAZED
Gamertag: Soak a toe

Post by CRAZYDAZED »

I have received Hori Twin Sticks as well. The last time I played VO with Twinsticks was VOOMG arcade at least 6 years ago, so I can't really compare my past experience with Hori. However, I love the square gates, I hit diagonals so much easier than circle gates on VOOMG arcade (not like VOOMG demanded much diagonal movements, but still).

It is very sturdy as well. I just placed mine on coffee table and it doesn't move around very much at all, even during intense moments.

I agree with Knoxximus about the sticks' throw being a bit too far, but it's nothing major.

What I love the most about Twinsticks is I have even more control over my characters than I did with my pad. With pad, I had to fight with controller than actually fighting an opponent. Now I can focus on enjoying the game instead of battling against my pad. I do have to re-learn how to do certain techniques on Twinsticks that I have did consistently with my pad, such as Specineff's BTCW jump cancel technique for example. Some other techniques are much noticeably easier on Twinsticks than pad such as chaining back-to-back QSCCs.

Well worth the money! For a VOOT fanatic anyway!