Will official Xbox 360 Twin Sticks be released?

Discuss the Virtual-On series.
MentholMoose
Virtual-On Positive
Gamertag: MentholMoose
PSN: MentholMoose_

Will official Xbox 360 Twin Sticks be released?

Post by MentholMoose »

Considering the impending release of the game, we will have an answer shortly. But still, what do you think? Here are some of my thoughts.

Twin Sticks were released for some previous games. They were released for OMG on Saturn, and despite an apparent over-production of Saturn Twin Sticks and a resultant financial blood bath, they were also released for Dreamcast. Verdict: PRO

Twin Sticks were NOT released for some previous games. They were not released for PS2, despite there being two VO games released. Now, MARZ is not an arcade port so it doesn't count, but OMG was an arcade conversion, so there are multiple considerations, as follows:
* OMG was a budget title, just like VOOT for Xbox 360, so possibly budget titles don't warrant a peripheral. Verdict: CON
* OMG is very old, so it doesn't warrant a peripheral, whereas VOOT is merely somewhat old. Verdict: PRO
* OMG is a niche title, and so is VOOT. Verdict: CON
* After OMG, no further VO releases were planned for PS2, so a controller for one game is not justified. In comparison, (I'm purely speculating now) VO Force might be planned for an Xbox 360 release, slightly justifying Twin Sticks. This is debatable, considering the previous Twin Stick releases were for a single game. Verdict: PRO
* The PS2 is more popular than Xbox 360, so there is a wider audience for the Sega Ages OMG than for VOOT on XBLA. Verdict: CON
* OMG is less popular than VOOT, so the more popular game deserves a peripheral. This is probably debatable. Verdict: PRO
* VOOT is straight up better than OMG. No, this isn't debatable. ;) Verdict: PRO
* VOOT VER.5.66 requires Twin Sticks more than any other VO, and Sega shouldn't release a game without the necessary controller. This is debatable. Verdict: PRO
* Sega is putting more effort into VOOT VER.5.66 on Xbox 360 than the Sega Ages OMG, as evidenced by the online mode, rankings, and other features. So they are more serious about the title and are more likely to release the necessary peripheral. Verdict: PRO

Anything else?
MentholMoose
Testament/Seven7
Virtual-On Positive

Re: Will official Xbox 360 Twin Sticks be released?

Post by Testament/Seven7 »

Pretty good list.

The idea that the ps2 is more popluar than the 360, on the whole, is debatable, however if your talking about japan, then sales records whould indicate this is true.

Personally, I don't think the demand for twinsticks on the ps2 was that high...the ps2 controllers had twin analog sticks, and twin sets of digital buttons for the modders, so they probrably figured it was all set.

On the other hand, MARZ was an experiment, a failed one debatably, but an experament, so meh. The sega ages release was slower than any version of voot, and so probrably didn't warrent the need of precise controls.

5.66 is a different story, and i think Sega/Sammy knows this. They also know there is a high demand, at least in japan, for a peripheral this time around, and i doubt they'll pass up a chance to make money.

Maybe they'll do something like "hey, you want a twinstick for the 360? Yeah you do...pay up front first and we'll ship it to your door once it's done being built."

It whould avoid underproduction, but i actually doubt they'll do that.
Marz First Lt. Testament, Temjin pilot

Xbox live gamertag: Lt Testament
MentholMoose
Virtual-On Positive
Gamertag: MentholMoose
PSN: MentholMoose_

Post by MentholMoose »

Testament/Seven7 wrote:The idea that the ps2 is more popluar than the 360, on the whole, is debatable, however if your talking about japan, then sales records whould indicate this is true.
Oh, yes, I'm talking about Japan. I have zero hope of Twin Sticks for Xbox 360 being released in the US.
Testament/Seven7 wrote:Personally, I don't think the demand for twinsticks on the ps2 was that high...the ps2 controllers had twin analog sticks, and twin sets of digital buttons for the modders, so they probrably figured it was all set.
Well, the Xbox 360 controller has dual analog sticks, and enough buttons for modders...
Testament/Seven7 wrote:On the other hand, MARZ was an experiment, a failed one debatably, but an experament, so meh. The sega ages release was slower than any version of voot, and so probrably didn't warrent the need of precise controls.
This is very debatable... don't get the OMG fanatics riled up now. :)
Testament/Seven7 wrote:5.66 is a different story, and i think Sega/Sammy knows this. They also know there is a high demand, at least in japan, for a peripheral this time around, and i doubt they'll pass up a chance to make money.

Maybe they'll do something like "hey, you want a twinstick for the 360? Yeah you do...pay up front first and we'll ship it to your door once it's done being built."

It whould avoid underproduction, but i actually doubt they'll do that.
Some sort of preorder system might be a good idea, since it would improve the demand forecast. Where do I sign up?! :D
MentholMoose
RVR - 42
Virtual-On Positive

Post by RVR - 42 »

MM very nice, very nice. I like how you say..."VOOT is better than OMG This is not debatable"...wonder if any OMG loyals are running around here anywhere. =P Then where you say "Sega should not release a game without the necessary controller, this is debatable"...thanks for catering to we pad users. That was considerate.

But I believe SEGA will release these sticks in Japan. Most definitely. A pre-order system would be a great way to deal with it, I think too. So it's April...be weary of April Fools Jokes about VOOT and whatnot today. The internet will be crawling with people hoping to ruin our dreams. =P
"Nuh uh uh"
Knoxximus
Virtual-On Positive

Post by Knoxximus »

Hopefully Sega has been paying attention to the fact that between fighting games, music games and the Wii, consumers have greatly softened up to the idea of having a crapton of accessories and controllers. People have closets full of plastic guitars and drums for 2 games TOPS. People have been going nuts for an arcade stick to mainly play ONE game. People bought boatloads of Wii steering wheels for ONE GAME. I could go on and on....Taiko Drum Master...ONE GAME...GC Bongos...2-3 GAMES. DDR Pads...okay I'll stop.

Not to mention the appearance (and almost immediate disappearance) of 360-modded DC Twin Sticks on the marketplace already.

I think the market is finally prepped for the notion of the one game accessory, and will embrace it. I just hope Sega has been paying attention.
Sergeant Knoxximus, Pilot #24 reporting for duty SIR!!
somepunk
Virtual-On Positive

Post by somepunk »

I'm pretty sure sega recognizes the heat they're generating with this, fans from all over, on different forums, and on this one, are coming back again and booting up their dcs once more, us who weren't part of the VO scene in the day have a second chance to catch up and learn with real players!

Why, just about a month and a half ago this forum was dead, it just had the emulation topic up, I checked every other day for activity, now new people (including myself) are joining every day, when the game drops, we're going to have a community on our hands!

Sega recognizes it's fanbase for this game, obviously, or they would never had renewed the trademark, given the commercial failure of marz...

I predict a good chance of sticks releasing, but only in japan.
Masters is in my last name, so you know I'm good! - Ken Masters
Testament/Seven7
Virtual-On Positive

Knoxximus wrote:Hopefully Sega has been paying attention to the fact that between fighting games, music games and the Wii, consumers have greatly softened up to the idea of having a crapton of accessories and controllers. People have closets full of plastic guitars and drums for 2 games TOPS. People have been going nuts for an arcade stick to mainly play ONE game. People bought boatloads of Wii steering wheels for ONE GAME. I could go on and on....Taiko Drum Master...ONE GAME...GC Bongos...2-3 GAMES. DDR Pads...okay I'll stop.

Not to mention the appearance (and almost immediate disappearance) of 360-modded DC Twin Sticks on the marketplace already.

I think the market is finally prepped for the notion of the one game accessory, and will embrace it. I just hope Sega has been paying attention.
You forgot Steal Battalion on the Xbox, and it's MASSIVE peripheral. I always wondered if that thing was compatable with mech assault? :P

circuscommando
Virtual-On Positive

Post by circuscommando »

it's funny actually, i joined just about a week before VOOT on the 360 was opened to the public, i just found this as one of the remaining VOOT websites.

is OMG the first game on saturn? i've heard that one referred to as VOOM.
Testament/Seven7
Virtual-On Positive

circuscommando wrote:it's funny actually, i joined just about a week before VOOT on the 360 was released, i just found this as one of the remaining VOOT websites.

is OMG the first game on saturn? i've heard that one referred to as VOOM.
Reportedly, the official abbreviation is VO OMG (Operation Moon Gate) Some of the pre-designed emblems in the 5.60 Disk seem to point in this direction. (there's one in appearance to a operation patch used in the military for Operation Moon Gate, there's another for Operation Sand Scythe, the first Limited War that was broadcast, according to One Man Rescue. Apparently, Oratorio Tangram is the name of another such Limited War, though i'm not sure if thats true or not to be honest. It would make sense though.)

RVR - 42
Virtual-On Positive

Post by RVR - 42 »

Yea I usually abbreviate it VOOM, but I like OMG better for some reason. =P As for this Limited War...OMR stuff...how do you know this Testament? XD! I wish I knew more about the story and whatnot. Sucks America got the shaft in terms of story and stuff. No Fragamentary Passage or One Man Rescue for us. :(
"Nuh uh uh"
Testament/Seven7
Virtual-On Positive

RVR - 42 wrote:Yea I usually abbreviate it VOOM, but I like OMG better for some reason. =P As for this Limited War...OMR stuff...how do you know this Testament? XD! I wish I knew more about the story and whatnot. Sucks America got the shaft in terms of story and stuff. No Fragamentary Passage or One Man Rescue for us. :(
There's a site that has a mostly complete english translation, only the last chapter is missing. I'll find the link later.

Operation sand scythe also introduced the "cypher" vr's and "fixed point retro conversion" to the series, as well as the 10/80 special. It's also the first introduction to Issy Hatter (we know him as a sergeant from Marz, but here he's from, or later becomes a part of the SHBVD, and is credited with taking out an Apharmd with a 10/80 special.

And yes, we did get shafted, which is part of the reason, in my opinion, MARZ kinda sucked, a ton of story element was "only" then being introduced to us, so it had to be totally adjusted, in the process fragging it.

RVR - 42
Virtual-On Positive

Post by RVR - 42 »

Testament/Seven7 wrote:
RVR - 42 wrote:Yea I usually abbreviate it VOOM, but I like OMG better for some reason. =P As for this Limited War...OMR stuff...how do you know this Testament? XD! I wish I knew more about the story and whatnot. Sucks America got the shaft in terms of story and stuff. No Fragamentary Passage or One Man Rescue for us. :(
There's a site that has a mostly complete english translation, only the last chapter is missing. I'll find the link later.

Operation sand scythe also introduced the "cypher" vr's and "fixed point retro conversion" to the series, as well as the 10/80 special. It's also the first introduction to Issy Hatter (we know him as a sergeant from Marz, but here he's from, or later becomes a part of the SHBVD, and is credited with taking out an Apharmd with a 10/80 special.

And yes, we did get shafted, which is part of the reason, in my opinion, MARZ kinda sucked, a ton of story element was "only" then being introduced to us, so it had to be totally adjusted, in the process fragging it.
Sand Scythe! My favorite one already! XDXD! Issy Hatter took aout an Apharmd with a 10/80, huh? Nice. Didn't realize he was a part of the SHBVD, though. I wonder if he and Dash Pronger have a history at all. But yea Marz...bleh. I'm not even going to finish that sentence. LOL

P.S. Yes, yes! Please find that link man. I need to totally engulf myself into the world of VO. I want to be Cypher for a H'ween sometime in the future. :P
"Nuh uh uh"