| a |    b    | c |    d    | e |

Measurements:
a = e = 32mm
c = 24mm
b = d = 92mm

Calculations:
midpoint a to c = midpoint c to e = 120mm
midpoint a to e = 240mm
In case it's not clear, "a" and "e" are the holes for the sticks, "c" is the hole for START, and "b" and "d" is the space between the stick and START button holes. These measurements were done using a digital caliper on a bare panel (no buttons/sticks installed), and I rounded to the nearest mm (usually within about 0.05mm of the measurement value).
It's been ages since I've played on an arcade VO:OT machine, how does this setup compare to the DC sticks? I measured mine and the sticks are roughly 5-6cm closer together. Just wondering which in your opinion is more comfortable?
Henshin01

Re: Saturn or DC sticks?

Post by Henshin01 »

MentholMoose wrote:Actually there is no "assist" button or anything similar. The button you are referring to is the "Quick Message" (QM) button, and it is used for displaying messages to your opponent. Messages are displayed by pressing the QM button plus an input (e.g. QM+LW is a certain message, QM+RW will be another, etc.). So if you are holding QM, you won't be able to do certain things because it will display a message instead. There are several pre-set messages, or you can create your own using the fabled Customize Disc to save on a VMU.
Ohhhhhhhh so THAT'S what it did. lolol. I suppose I could see why I never picked up on it :P And yeah I can imagine Sega removing that feature seeing as we have microphones now to communicate.

Oh and thanks for the measurements guys. I suppose my 13 inch between the sticks guess was a bit off :P
NGEFreek
Gamertag: NGE42

Post by NGEFreek »

I have a copy of the 5.66 Customize disc for DC if anyone needs me to upload it to MegaUpload or some such thing.

Not that it will do anyone much good.

Also, I thought I remembered being able to play as the 3 "5.66 VRs" when playing the customize disc. Was I high or is there an option in the JPN VOOT that allows color edits to be used and played against each other?
MentholMoose
Virtual-On Positive
Gamertag: MentholMoose
PSN: MentholMoose_

Post by MentholMoose »

NGEFreek wrote:I have a copy of the 5.66 Customize disc for DC if anyone needs me to upload it to MegaUpload or some such thing.

Also, I thought I remembered being able to play as the 3 "5.66 VRs" when playing the customize disc. Was I high or is there an option in the JPN VOOT that allows color edits to be used and played against each other?
Neither of those features exist by default, but Scott Robinson released some tools for doing both using the new VRs on the customize disc, and using custom color schemes with US and Japanese VOOT.
MentholMoose
demosthenes

Post by demosthenes »

NGEFreek wrote:I have a copy of the 5.66 Customize disc for DC if anyone needs me to upload it to MegaUpload or some such thing.

Definitely upload it if you can; it's nigh impossible to find.
somepunk
Virtual-On Positive

Post by somepunk »

This is what you need:

http://sourceforge.net/project/showfile ... e_id=91051

burn onto standard disc, insert into dreamcast, then insert the customization disc.

And a link to the customization disc...

...something that you'll probably have to find, unfortunately...although I have it.

:)

I don't want Menthol's fury! haha
Masters is in my last name, so you know I'm good! - Ken Masters
Dreamcazman
Virtual-On Positive

Post by Dreamcazman »

Menthol Moose - Could you do me a HUUGE favour? Could you please calculate the dimensions for the bases of the sticks that are used in the Saturn twin sticks? You know the bit that's below the panel that contains the microswitches. Just the depth would suffice if it's too hard to do the length and width.

I'd like to begin building my case and I want to make sure I make it high enough. My sticks haven't arrived yet otherwise I'd measure them instead. ;)

It would be greatly appreciated. :D
MentholMoose
Virtual-On Positive

Post by MentholMoose »

Dreamcazman wrote:Menthol Moose - Could you do me a HUUGE favour? Could you please calculate the dimensions for the bases of the sticks that are used in the Saturn twin sticks? You know the bit that's below the panel that contains the microswitches. Just the depth would suffice if it's too hard to do the length and width.

I'd like to begin building my case and I want to make sure I make it high enough. My sticks haven't arrived yet otherwise I'd measure them instead. ;)

It would be greatly appreciated. :D
I'll take a look tomorrow. It's pretty shallow, though, about the same as a standard Japanese joystick.
MentholMoose
Dreamcazman
Virtual-On Positive

Post by Dreamcazman »

MentholMoose wrote:I'll take a look tomorrow. It's pretty shallow, though, about the same as a standard Japanese joystick.
Thanks! 8-)
MentholMoose
Virtual-On Positive

Post by MentholMoose »

Dreamcazman wrote:
MentholMoose wrote:I'll take a look tomorrow. It's pretty shallow, though, about the same as a standard Japanese joystick.
Thanks! 8-)
Did I say tomorrow? I meant next week. :oops: So yeah, the very base of the stick extends 35mm from the bottom of the panel. So add some space to be safe, and 40mm should be good.
MentholMoose
Dreamcazman
Virtual-On Positive

Post by Dreamcazman »

MentholMoose wrote:Did I say tomorrow? I meant next week. :oops: So yeah, the very base of the stick extends 35mm from the bottom of the panel. So add some space to be safe, and 40mm should be good.
Excellent, just what I figured. Thanks MM! :ugeek: