VOOT DC emulated

Discuss the Virtual-On series.
MentholMoose
Virtual-On Positive

VOOT DC emulated

Post by MentholMoose »

VOOT for Dreamcast works well in the nullDC emulator. Twin Sticks are not emulated yet so you are stuck using a control pad.
MentholMoose
MentholMoose
Virtual-On Positive

Re: VOOT DC emulated

Post by MentholMoose »

See screenshot...
vo545.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
MentholMoose
Turbovec

Post by Turbovec »

I know Naomi emulation is coming along quite well, with Capcom vs SNK 2 and Marvel vs Capcom 2 both playing nicely. Hopefully they can get a dump of 5.66 and some twinstick controls, seeing as how pricey the carts are, even on Rinkya, it might just be some people's only chance. ;-;
demosthenes

Post by demosthenes »

I feel so old; the last DC emulator I used was Chankast...
MentholMoose
Virtual-On Positive

Post by MentholMoose »

Turbovec wrote:I know Naomi emulation is coming along quite well, with Capcom vs SNK 2 and Marvel vs Capcom 2 both playing nicely. Hopefully they can get a dump of 5.66 and some twinstick controls, seeing as how pricey the carts are, even on Rinkya, it might just be some people's only chance. ;-;
There are several other DC emulators that are coming along (e.g. DEMUL, lxdream, and Makaron), so hopefully we will see perfect VOOT emulation (i.e. with Twin Stick functionality) in the future.

As for 5.66, what have you seen it priced at? I've seen a few on Yahoo! JP auctions sell recently for around US $400 each! Now I regret passing up on the numerous auctions I saw complete below $100, a few years ago. I'd also like to see it dumped, but I'm very hesitant to ship one of my ROMs to the guru, considering that he didn't respond to my inquiry about how long it takes, nevermind the shipping cost (round trip between US and Australia is over $100).
MentholMoose
IMD1

Post by IMD1 »

I might give emulation a go till the game comes out. I haven't played it in ages. I regret selling my dreamcast copy :cry: .
motormann

Post by motormann »

I'm fairly certain the problem with Twin Sticks in the NullDC emulator isn't with the emulator, it's with the version of the VO:OT game. So far I have yet to find the Japanese version of the game. Every rip I've found is for the American version, which never supported twin sticks, to my knowledge.

It's a shame because the game does work nicely otherwise, but to me it's worthless without twin stick support. I have got a good working version of OMG though with the model2 emulator, and I can use my DC twin sticks with it very well with my 3-in-1 adapter. The only flaw is a minor graphical issue that doesn't crop up very often and it's easily overlooked.
MentholMoose
Virtual-On Positive

Post by MentholMoose »

motormann wrote:I'm fairly certain the problem with Twin Sticks in the NullDC emulator isn't with the emulator, it's with the version of the VO:OT game. So far I have yet to find the Japanese version of the game. Every rip I've found is for the American version, which never supported twin sticks, to my knowledge.
The US version definitely supports Twin Sticks. I worked as a game tester on the US version, and can assure you the functionality was tested extensively ;) . nullDC doesn't appear to have any option to choose non-standard controllers. You can map keys to the second D-Pad in the emulator options, but it doesn't work in game since the game still "sees" a standard control pad connected. I'm using an image of the Japanese VOOT.
MentholMoose
somepunk
Virtual-On Positive

Post by somepunk »

Then your one of the few out there with J-voot on their pc. I ripped the internet apart trying to find the J-version, it's jut not out there, and no ones was even remotely willing to upload.

I finally broke down and bought the damn thing (bundled with DC twinsticks, 100$!)
Masters is in my last name, so you know I'm good! - Ken Masters
Testament/Seven7
Virtual-On Positive

Post by Testament/Seven7 »

somepunk wrote:Then your one of the few out there with J-voot on their pc. I ripped the internet apart trying to find the J-version, it's jut not out there, and no ones was even remotely willing to upload.

I finally broke down and bought the damn thing (bundled with DC twinsticks, 100$!)
Someone did in fact rip/post the jp version on one forum (not giving a link), unfortunitly, the download is now corrupt and/or otherwise not working correctly...

which kinda stinks, but meh...

*pats his voot gd rom and a backup 5.60 disk*

I"m happy ^^
Marz First Lt. Testament, Temjin pilot

Xbox live gamertag: Lt Testament
MentholMoose
Virtual-On Positive

Post by MentholMoose »

somepunk wrote:Then your one of the few out there with J-voot on their pc. I ripped the internet apart trying to find the J-version, it's jut not out there, and no ones was even remotely willing to upload.

That is a pretty good deal! Now just get a BBA and you can rip the GD-ROM yourself for use on PC (or use a serial cable if you have the patience... I went with the BBA method :lol: ).
MentholMoose
wraith88

Post by wraith88 »

MentholMoose wrote:VOOT for Dreamcast works well in the nullDC emulator. Twin Sticks are not emulated yet so you are stuck using a control pad.
MM - have you tried this type of workaround to get the xbox 360-modded twin sticks to work with NullDC?

http://www.1emulation.com/forums/index. ... opic=21675

The wired xbox 360 controller has driver support for both XP and Vista (wireless version does too, but you need a special Microsoft wireless receiver). I would have tried out this method myself first before posting, but it's gonna be a couple months before I get back to the States to mod my twin sticks...
Knoxximus
Virtual-On Positive

Post by Knoxximus »

wraith88 wrote:
MentholMoose wrote:VOOT for Dreamcast works well in the nullDC emulator. Twin Sticks are not emulated yet so you are stuck using a control pad.
MM - have you tried this type of workaround to get the xbox 360-modded twin sticks to work with NullDC?

http://www.1emulation.com/forums/index. ... opic=21675

The wired xbox 360 controller has driver support for both XP and Vista (wireless version does too, but you need a special Microsoft wireless receiver). I would have tried out this method myself first before posting, but it's gonna be a couple months before I get back to the States to mod my twin sticks...
If you look at the date he posted you'd realize that at that time Menthol had *zero* interest in an Xbox 360 to even know about such a method. :lol:

And now that XBLA 5.66 is out, I'd wager that he no longer cares. ;)
Sergeant Knoxximus, Pilot #24 reporting for duty SIR!!
wraith88

Post by wraith88 »

Maybe you're right :D

VOOT 5.66 for XBLA is the new hotness.

Figured that it might be fun to bring some new functionality to some "old toys"...

Too soon? ;)
MentholMoose
Virtual-On Positive

Post by MentholMoose »

The problem is not that the PC won't recognize Twin Sticks. I can hook up my Xbox 360 modded Twin Sticks to the PC and they are recognized just fine. This is actually how I first tested my modded Twin Sticks, since I did it about a month before I bought an Xbox 360. Alternatively, if the Xbox 360 controller didn't work properly, I could wire up some other controller to connect to the PC.

The problem is that since DC Twin Sticks are a non-standard controller, nullDC needs to "tell" DC VOOT that Twin Sticks are connected instead of a standard control pad. I don't really understand how the input functionality works in nullDC... it actually allows you to map keys to the "second" d-pad, which is used in the DC Twin Sticks for the right stick, but emulated DC VOOT only ever sees a standard control pad.

This is actually something I'd really like to see working someday.
MentholMoose
Knoxximus
Virtual-On Positive

Post by Knoxximus »

MentholMoose wrote:The problem is not that the PC won't recognize Twin Sticks. I can hook up my Xbox 360 modded Twin Sticks to the PC and they are recognized just fine. This is actually how I first tested my modded Twin Sticks, since I did it about a month before I bought an Xbox 360. Alternatively, if the Xbox 360 controller didn't work properly, I could wire up some other controller to connect to the PC.

The problem is that since DC Twin Sticks are a non-standard controller, nullDC needs to "tell" DC VOOT that Twin Sticks are connected instead of a standard control pad. I don't really understand how the input functionality works in nullDC... it actually allows you to map keys to the "second" d-pad, which is used in the DC Twin Sticks for the right stick, but emulated DC VOOT only ever sees a standard control pad.

This is actually something I'd really like to see working someday.
Hurrrmmm...I stand corrected. :|
Sergeant Knoxximus, Pilot #24 reporting for duty SIR!!
MentholMoose
Virtual-On Positive

Post by MentholMoose »

Oh, you were right, I didn't care at the time about getting Xbox 360 modded Twin Sticks working, since I hadn't built them yet! :lol: Hopefully nullDC or one of the other DC emulators add the necessary input functionality to get "virtual" Twin Sticks working in emulated VOOT. :)

Now, if the VOOT VER.5.66 Naomi ROM ever gets dumped, it should work fine since the inputs are the standard Naomi arcade inputs, which is supported by the Naomi emulators.
MentholMoose
wraith88

Post by wraith88 »

Darn. Well thanks for the heads up anyways.
MentholMoose
Virtual-On Positive

Post by MentholMoose »

I'm bumping this ancient thread since the newer versions of nullDC support Twin Sticks!!! You can use an Xbox 360 controller, but unfortunately the control scheme is not configurable as far as I can tell (in nullDC 1.0.4 r50). The layout I used for my modded Twin Sticks isn't compatible, and IIRC the layout of the Hori Twin Sticks isn't either. Hopefully someone will create controller configuration options for the Xbox 360 controller plugin. nullDC is open source now and available here:
nulldc - Project Hosting on Google Code
MentholMoose
guarayakha
Virtual-On Positive

Post by guarayakha »

It's been a long while since i touch emulators...what are the minimum requirements required to get a smooth running VOOT?