I'm wondering something

Discuss the Virtual-On series.
Temjin747K
Virtual-On Positive

I'm wondering something

Post by Temjin747K »

About the original Fei-Yen designed and created by L'ln Plajiner that disappeared? All I know is that it has an Emotion System in its V-Converter and it had gotten so much emotion from L'ln that it became partially sentient and Mimmy Salpen and Black Onyx of the SHBVD went looking for it in that audio CD drama Cyber Troopers Virtual-On Counterpoint 009A Episode #16. Have they ever found it?
guarayakha
Virtual-On Positive

Re: I'm wondering something

Post by guarayakha »

IIRC, they did. They let her go free.
Though I'm sure she's fully sentient, with all that singing business. She also makes an appearance in her own audio CD, Cybernet Rhapsody #14.
chunkypuff31
Virtual-On Positive
Gamertag: chunkypuff 3 1

Post by chunkypuff31 »

guarayakha wrote:She also makes an appearance in her own audio CD, Cybernet Rhapsody #14.
Appearance? Lol, the entire CD was centered on her!

But yes, she's completely sentinent. In fact, she actually has the ability to transform between Virtuaroid and human forms in Cybernet Rhapsody. However, I'm not sure if that ability is canon or not, since I don't know if Cybernet Rhapsody was canon to begin with.
Examples of unintended hilarity, generously provided by Vash:
"With Geico, you can save thousands of money!"
"I am the only one playing with myself at night."
MasterFygar
Virtual-On Positive
Gamertag: MasterFygar

Post by MasterFygar »

chunkypuff31 wrote:
guarayakha wrote:She also makes an appearance in her own audio CD, Cybernet Rhapsody #14.
Appearance? Lol, the entire CD was centered on her!

But yes, she's completely sentinent. In fact, she actually has the ability to transform between Virtuaroid and human forms in Cybernet Rhapsody. However, I'm not sure if that ability is canon or not, since I don't know if Cybernet Rhapsody was canon to begin with.
Though this may or may not be an indicator, the intro music from CyberNet Rhapsody is in the sound test of the original OMG machine (not in any of the ports). Check it on a Model 2 emulator if you don't believe me (or I can make a video).
ImageImage
guarayakha
Virtual-On Positive

Post by guarayakha »

Good thing I still have those texts from Tirah Dragonfire's website, lol. I would believe that all known abilities, silly or not, is canon :D

-----------------------------
Fei-Yen

A vast number of issues related to this VR remain completely unresearched, and many question the appropriateness of putting it through these tests at this time. Nevertheless, it is these tests themselves that should prove crucial in shedding light on these areas, including on just how much combat potential this VR actually has. Cautious voices point out the risk of an accident involving this unit given the vast gaps in our knowledge, but we judge this to be a manageable risk and request that an exception be made at this time to allow its inclusion in the testing program.

Source: Model Grafix Vol. 147, Feb. 1997

Background notes
The background story to Fei-Yen is particularly mysterious. The version of Fei-Yen in the game is actually the 13th version. The original Fei-Yen was mysteriously lost. No information is available about the original creators, except that they had disappeared and left some blueprints of Fei-Yen, which were discovered by her present-day (re)creators. Unlike the rest of the VRs, Fei-Yen is not a DN Virtuaroid; the syndicate that recreated her is an entity completely different and separated from DN.

The engineers at the new syndicate did not really understand Fei-Yen’s working, but they were able to construct her from the leftover blueprints. There are still things about Fei-Yen that they don’t understand, mainly why her beam is shaped like a heart and flat, and why she turns hyper.

History Update
First, we have to go into a little history behind the first VR that was discovered in the ruins. DN’s scientists were never able to activate this VR, though they were able to decipher some of the technology behind it enough to develop an approximate replica in Bal-Bas-Bow.

As with all technological pursuits done by power-mongering corporations, DN experienced casualties in their attempts to activate the original unit that Bal-Bas-Bow is based upon. Three attempts were made, and in each attempt the test pilot had died as a result of the failure of the C.I.S. (Cyber Imaginary Space) program to return the pilot’s mind back to their physical bodies. Finally, the HQ decided to cut their losses and drastically slashed funding to Plant Zero where this work had been taking place, thus bringing plant operations to a near halt.

Right around the time the funding was cut, a scientist at Plant Zero by the name of Dr. Plasiner was able to complete an operational gate to successfully enter and exits the C.I.S. program. According to the translation of the story, this program is the original Fei-Yen. Since DN had ceased Plant Zero’s operations and focused their attention to their other projects, the HQ never knew about Plasiner’s sucess, and of course, he never bothered to inform them of it either.

One day, Dr. Plasiner disappeared, nowhere to be found, the original Fei-Yen also disappeared as well. Nobody knows why she really disappeared, but it is believed that she is searching for Dr. Plasiner.

Since then, DN has sent out teams of Virtuaroids in an effort to recover the original Fei-Yen. While the teams were able to find her on a few occasions, their attempts at capture were unsuccessful due to her Emotional Attack system. Unlike the Fei-Yen replica in Virtual-On, the first Fei-Yen’s Heart Beam did not do physical damage; instead it lowered the morale of the pilots in the pursuing VRs, to the point where they no longer wanted to fight. The VRs themselves were still operational, but only very sluggishly. The effects did not do any permanent damages, though they did last for a few hours, thus buying Fei-Yen enough time to escape.

It was also discovered that the original Fei-Yen’s weapon system could evolve on their own. With the difficulty of combating the Emotional Attack and her elusive speed combined with the possibility of pushing Fei-Yen into creating ever more powerful weapons, DN finally decided to stop trying to capture her, and allowed her to wander wherever she wanted.

So, to sum up DN’s intelligence-gathering about the original Fei-Yen:

1. She is, in essence, alive. She has a conscience.
2. She is not armed with any physically damaging weapons, as far as DN knows.
3. She has the ability to adapt, and can invent new weapons and abilities.
4. She has the ability to freely convert and reverse convert back and forth between a human form and Virtuaroid form. This differs from the other VRs in that their pilots always risked being mentally trapped in C.I.S., thanks to DN’s loss of Dr. Plasiner’s discoveries.
5. She may be using a mind formatted V. Converter. This means that Fei-Yen’s V.Converter had taken in a person’s mind, and that person is trapped inside C.I.S. But in Fei-Yen’s case, the trapped mind did not go insane. This is extremely rare, because most trapped minds go insane in few hours.

Before disappearing, Dr. Plasiner had destroyed all of his files on the original Fei-Yen. However, DN was able to reconstruct enough data and gather enough information based on past encounters to finally build the Fei-Yen model in this game. Her Heart Beam uses the same type of launcher as Viper II’s homing beam, but the beam developed the heart shape unintentionally on its own. The scientist were also unable to duplicate the effects of the emotional attack, but were able to (most likely by accident) get a version of if via Hyper mode.
-----------------------------
chunkypuff31
Virtual-On Positive

Post by chunkypuff31 »

One question: what exactly is the relationship between Dr. Plajiner and L'ln Plajiner? I always assumed they were the same person.
Temjin747K
Virtual-On Positive

Post by Temjin747K »

Dr. Plajiner is L'ln's father
Temjin747K
Virtual-On Positive

Post by Temjin747K »

guarayakha wrote:IIRC, they did. They let her go free.
Though I'm sure she's fully sentient, with all that singing business. She also makes an appearance in her own audio CD, Cybernet Rhapsody #14.
then why'd they let her go--oh yeah, the original Fei-Yen's heart beam that can lower an enemy pilot's morale! has anyone ever fallen in love with her?
Temjin747K
Virtual-On Positive

Post by Temjin747K »

wait a minute, did you guys say that the original Fei-Yen can change between human and VR forms?! That sounds pretty cool! I bet she looks cute in human form
chunkypuff31
Virtual-On Positive

Post by chunkypuff31 »

Temjin747K wrote:wait a minute, did you guys say that the original Fei-Yen can change between human and VR forms?! That sounds pretty cool! I bet she looks cute in human form
Here's what she looks like:
Temjin747K
Virtual-On Positive

Post by Temjin747K »

is this official art of the Fei-Yen in human form or is it fan art? it looks great though
chunkypuff31
Virtual-On Positive

Post by chunkypuff31 »

That's official art that was in the booklet that came with the CD of Cybernet Rhapsody, illustrated by Hajime Katoki himself.
Temjin747K
Virtual-On Positive

Post by Temjin747K »

ohh, ok then...anyways, I happen to be starting up a forum-based Virtual-On RPG. you wanna join it?
chunkypuff31
Virtual-On Positive

Post by chunkypuff31 »

Sure! Lemme sketch up what my VR's gonna look like, then I'll post it on your thread.
Temjin747K
Virtual-On Positive

Post by Temjin747K »

chunkypuff31 wrote:That's official art that was in the booklet that came with the CD of Cybernet Rhapsody, illustrated by Hajime Katoki himself.
did Black Onyx get hit by the Fei-Yen's emotional attack or did he fall in love? *winks*
guarayakha
Virtual-On Positive

Post by guarayakha »

I'm not sure about the details, but the pilot started singing(Burned by the Fire, vocal!) , sooo....
Temjin747K
Virtual-On Positive

Post by Temjin747K »

Fei-Yen looks cute in her human form
Sixfortyfive
Virtual-On Positive

Post by Sixfortyfive »

FWIW, this Fei-Yen was in the PS2 version of VOOM as a secret and playable boss. Here's a video of Cacophanus making quick work of it.

IIRC, she's more or less the same as normal Fei-Yen except for her left weapon (Heart Trap) and having her hyper mode abilities active at all times.
Temjin747K
Virtual-On Positive

Post by Temjin747K »

the original Fei-Yen fought in the Sega Ages re-release of Operation Moongate is a secret boss and is twice as powerful as the mass-produced replicas
chunkypuff31
Virtual-On Positive

Post by chunkypuff31 »

I read somewhere that you could actually play as the original Fei-Yen as well (whose official name is the "Faiyube," or something like that. Not sure how it's supposed to be written in English, but in Katakana it's written as ファイユーブ, so interpret it as you will). I don't remember if it can be unlocked or if the only way to use it is with a cheat device, as I read about on some Japanese blog a while ago. I'll have to look for that page again.