VOOT 5.66 on XBLA this April, 1200 points

Discuss the Virtual-On series.
Testament/Seven7
Virtual-On Positive

Re: VOOT 5.66 on XBLA this April, 1200 points

Post by Testament/Seven7 »

My opinions as i read it.
Q: How big will the game be?
A: It hasn't been fully decided yet, but probably somewhere around 230 MB.
o.O there's no way...the ammount of data compression...still, this could be good news, if it's true. We'll see.
Q: Is there any split-screen?
A: We apologize, but not this time. Instead, we have the system link implemented so you can go at it against one another (this was really tough to do). Again, we apologize...
Expected, and actually better. Split screen kinda sucks imo.
Q: Will there be any patches to the game?
A: Nothing has been announced yet at this time. However, we are prepared to deal with any trouble that might come after release. In such a case, we will announce that "Bugs/glitches have been corrected". Given time, we'd like to put up other content.
How about some of the VR's from Force that got scrapped in Marz? Just a suggestion. Actually, all the Force/Marz VR's would probably play better in OT, DO IT!!! *drools at the thought of the VR 747 A8 Temjin in OT's engine*
Q: Will any themes or icons go on sale?
A: We are considering possible themes to put up. As for icons, we will consider it if there is a massive demand for it.
i'd download themes, icons, of course ^^
Q: Is there any text chat, or ability to draw emblems?
A: Neither. We would have liked to see custom emblems implemented, but there were a lot of issues that came up. We also hadn't considered text chat when we began this project. In the meantime, the Xbox 360 voice chat feature has been implemented, so please enjoy.
I can understand text chat being non-existent, but what issues would emblems have caused? IT WAS ALREADY IN THE GAME'S CODE! The lack of it dosen't upset me "too" much, but i don't know if this is just a lame excuse, or if some issue did arise. I'm not a programer after all so...

Still, this pilot dosen't buy it...
Q: Is the floor transparent in "Public Port" just like in 5.2?
A: As we thought it was much better having it transparent, we made it as such. Of course, you have some options:
- In Arcade mode, the floor will be set as opaque.
- In Versus mode, the floor will be randomly set.
- You may choose the way it looks in Training Mode and Watch Mode.
Neat
Q: Did you fix the fire grenade sound?
A: We confirm that we've fixed this in the 360 version.
Didn't know there was a problem here, also neat.

Q: Can we see this on a 4:3 CRT? How small of a TV can we play on for us to enjoy this?
A: In the case of 4:3, this will look just like the Arcade or DC versions. There shouldn't be a difference in gameplay. To check teams, the minimum requirement is a 14-inch CRT, but for the time being you should be able to enjoy the game. There are probably a couple of locations where the text may be small, but there shouldn't be things that you can't read. Of course, if you happen to have a different TV set, we cannot guarantee anything, so please be careful.*
Huh...guess i'll have to drag my 25" here to see anything, i'm currently using a 13"
Q: What about Twin Sticks?
A: We've heard a lot about this from almost everyone, so we think it'll show up. If we were the users, we would have asked too (lol).

Unfortunately, we are unable to announce anything beyond what was said for Twin Sticks in Yamashita's column last time. We apologize.
At least they are listening and understand. Even if nothing can be promised thats a step in the right direction.
The game should be out in April, but we will announce if any changes arise.
Do we know "when" in april?
* -- as in, guarantee anything if TV is smaller? feels that way
Probrably.
Marz First Lt. Testament, Temjin pilot

Xbox live gamertag: Lt Testament
MentholMoose
Virtual-On Positive
Gamertag: MentholMoose
PSN: MentholMoose_

Post by MentholMoose »

Testament/Seven7 wrote:
Q: How big will the game be?
A: It hasn't been fully decided yet, but probably somewhere around 230 MB.
o.O there's no way...the ammount of data compression...still, this could be good news, if it's true. We'll see.
Well, the arcade version was on a N@OMI ROM, so it wasn't too big. VER.5.45 on Dreamcast only used a full GD-ROM because the audio was uncompressed GD-DA, and actually the game data was only 225 MB.
Testament/Seven7 wrote:How about some of the VR's from Force that got scrapped in Marz? Just a suggestion. Actually, all the Force/Marz VR's would probably play better in OT, DO IT!!! *drools at the thought of the VR 747 A8 Temjin in OT's engine*
I hope not, it's quite balanced as it is, and adding a bunch of randomness would make it a different game (IMO not worthy of the VER.5.66 moniker). They'll probably be releasing VO Force at some point, so you can have access to the million Temjin variants then. ;)
Testament/Seven7 wrote:
Q: Is there any text chat, or ability to draw emblems?
A: Neither. We would have liked to see custom emblems implemented, but there were a lot of issues that came up. We also hadn't considered text chat when we began this project. In the meantime, the Xbox 360 voice chat feature has been implemented, so please enjoy.
I can understand text chat being non-existent, but what issues would emblems have caused? IT WAS ALREADY IN THE GAME'S CODE! The lack of it dosen't upset me "too" much, but i don't know if this is just a lame excuse, or if some issue did arise. I'm not a programer after all so...
It's possibly related to some Microsoft standard preventing obscenity... i.e. they probably don't want people drawing penis icons. :lol:
Davo87 wrote:Didnt expect them to remove split screen 2p play, tho surely I found the splitscreen to look pretty bad anyway.
Well technically they didn't "remove" it since the arcade version certainly doesn't have it. ;)
MentholMoose
velocity7

Post by velocity7 »

Generally speaking, Japanese people are often known to be humble and try to be polite and courteous as much as they can, so this is not surprising. I'd be more surprised if Western developers took this tone (and it'd be very appreciated, mind you).
RVR - 42
Virtual-On Positive

Post by RVR - 42 »

AHHH! Velocity...thank you man. That like...got my killer hyped. I wish someone would've asked about a PSN release. I mean really. SEGA...i've kinda fallen off of your bandwagon by destroying Sonic...but VO is my favorite...and this could totally redeem you guys[not like they're actually reading this lol].

Andwho...man...there's so much I want to comment on. The transparent Public Port is definitely awesome. Is Autobahn used in arcade mode on 5.66? That's my favorite stage and I could only do it in versus and training. =( But Temjin 747 a8...as a VOOT Vr. I'm telling you...a Virtual On Tournament...they should do it. Oh my gosh! Think of how sick that game would be. Spanning all the games and stories. Sure it would be upwards to 100 Vrs or so, but it would be the pinnacle of VO...the pinnacle of robot fighting games, in all honestly.

Once again...can't even begin to say how overly excited I am about the hype surrounding this game. It's a dream come true. Long live VO!
"Nuh uh uh"
NGEFreek
Gamertag: NGE42

Post by NGEFreek »

Well, that all sounds fine and dandy to me. Good show.

Now, where do we start that online petition for the twinsticks to have something solid to send to SEGA/M$? :D Or bettwe yet, cut them out and present it to MadKatz since they did such and amazign job with the Street Fighter 4 sticks.
RVR - 42
Virtual-On Positive

Post by RVR - 42 »

Those SFIV sticks...are a feat of great enginnering. lol So sey. But carried over from the other topic...I got the Fightpad instead of the sticks. Just a pad user all around. Don't hurt me! *balls up in the fetal position in a corner* :lol:

Oh and NGE I checked out TheNexLevel...very cool place. I would kinda hate to jump in mid-discussion though. Thanks again for that link.
"Nuh uh uh"
Turbovec

Post by Turbovec »

RVR - 42 wrote:Those SFIV sticks...are a feat of great enginnering. lol So sey. But carried over from the other topic...I got the Fightpad instead of the sticks. Just a pad user all around. Don't hurt me! *balls up in the fetal position in a corner* :lol:
The SE and TE SFIV sticks are ok, my custom is better.

RVR - 42
Virtual-On Positive

Post by RVR - 42 »

Turbovec wrote:
RVR - 42 wrote:Those SFIV sticks...are a feat of great enginnering. lol So sey. But carried over from the other topic...I got the Fightpad instead of the sticks. Just a pad user all around. Don't hurt me! *balls up in the fetal position in a corner* :lol:
The SE and TE SFIV sticks are ok, my custom is better.

Ha! Nice man, nice. You a Jin fan, huh? Oh and Turbovec...have you ordered A DC Link Cable from coinopexpress? Because I am going through the process, but he charged me for an AV cable...gotta talk through it and see if it's just a generalization of the product and not actual description.
"Nuh uh uh"
NGEFreek
Gamertag: NGE42

Post by NGEFreek »

I would gladly take my own custom stick over a mass produced one anyday, BUT, MadKatz did a fantastic job mass producing a very solid and high-play worthy stick, so I tip my hat to them. I remember in the N64 days Mad Katz was the laughing stock of the 3rd party world, now they are one of the better 3rd parties now.

I need to pick up an extra USB cable so I can mod my Hori Wii stick to work with this PC so I can get a proper MAME system going.
RVR - 42
Virtual-On Positive

Post by RVR - 42 »

NGEFreek wrote:I would gladly take my own custom stick over a mass produced one anyday, BUT, MadKatz did a fantastic job mass producing a very solid and high-play worthy stick, so I tip my hat to them. I remember in the N64 days Mad Katz was the laughing stock of the 3rd party world, now they are one of the better 3rd parties now.
I need to pick up an extra USB cable so I can mod my Hori Wii stick to work with this PC so I can get a proper MAME system going.
LOL! Yea they surely were. Same people still think they're a joke, though. *shrugs*
"Nuh uh uh"
MentholMoose
Virtual-On Positive

Post by MentholMoose »

The thing about VOOT arcade components is that they are absurdly expensive ($100+ per stick), so it's not really practical to try to sell arcade perfect Twin Sticks (not a lot of people are hardcore enough to spend $300+ on a controller! Never mind that it only works with one game). By comparison, building a fighting stick with real arcade components is cheaper and more marketable.
MentholMoose
Testament/Seven7
Virtual-On Positive

MentholMoose wrote:The thing about VOOT arcade components is that they are absurdly expensive ($100+ per stick), so it's not really practical to try to sell arcade perfect Twin Sticks (not a lot of people are hardcore enough to spend $300+ on a controller! Never mind that it only works with one game). By comparison, building a fighting stick with real arcade components is cheaper and more marketable.
Truth, arcade sticks for fighting games are indeed cheaper...

But HOLY AJIM! $100 + per stick!?

Say, MentholMoose, how much did you say you paid per 5.2 panel? (not counting shipping i mean...)

MentholMoose
Virtual-On Positive

Post by MentholMoose »

Testament/Seven7 wrote:But HOLY AJIM! $100 + per stick!?
Yeah, the retail price is insane.
Testament/Seven7 wrote:Say, MentholMoose, how much did you say you paid per 5.2 panel? (not counting shipping i mean...)
When they show up on Yahoo! Japan Auctions, they usually go for about $100. The prices I've paid has varied because I've bought them in different conditions, but they've been around that price.
MentholMoose
Testament/Seven7
Virtual-On Positive

MentholMoose wrote:
Testament/Seven7 wrote:But HOLY AJIM! $100 + per stick!?
Yeah, the retail price is insane.
Testament/Seven7 wrote:Say, MentholMoose, how much did you say you paid per 5.2 panel? (not counting shipping i mean...)
When they show up on Yahoo! Japan Auctions, they usually go for about $100. The prices I've paid has varied because I've bought them in different conditions, but they've been around that price.
Thats...crazy...

So, you'd say you got a pretty good deal then?

also, expect a PM later...dunno when exactly, but later...

RVR - 42
Virtual-On Positive

Post by RVR - 42 »

"Holy Ajim!" XDXD! Son of a Guerlain! But wow...pricey, pricey. I agree though, making your sticks in a better deal.
"Nuh uh uh"
MentholMoose
Virtual-On Positive

Post by MentholMoose »

Testament/Seven7 wrote:So, you'd say you got a pretty good deal then?
Yeah, I got everything fairly cheap. However, I haven't been able to find a source for the VOOT sticks in new condition. Sanwa sells similar sticks at about $90 each, but I only want the exact VOOT sticks (especially at that price). I actually only need one stick assembly (heck, just the base would be fine) to be able to build a complete dedicated arcade perfect Twin Stick controller for Xbox 360 (to avoid messing with my DC sticks). I wish these things had model numbers stamped on them... basically none of this stuff does. :cry:
MentholMoose
Testament/Seven7
Virtual-On Positive

MentholMoose wrote:
Testament/Seven7 wrote:So, you'd say you got a pretty good deal then?
Yeah, I got everything fairly cheap. However, I haven't been able to find a source for the VOOT sticks in new condition. Sanwa sells similar sticks at about $90 each, but I only want the exact VOOT sticks (especially at that price). I actually only need one stick assembly (heck, just the base would be fine) to be able to build a complete dedicated arcade perfect Twin Stick controller for Xbox 360 (to avoid messing with my DC sticks). I wish these things had model numbers stamped on them... basically none of this stuff does. :cry:

Sanwa had a joystick model that came in a Camo paint job, i wanted that for my custom twinsticks....I "think" they where digital, but pricy too...

And there probrably "is" a model number, but you'd probrably have to totally dismantle the assembly to find it...just a guess...

MentholMoose
Virtual-On Positive

Post by MentholMoose »

Testament/Seven7 wrote:Sanwa had a joystick model that came in a Camo paint job, i wanted that for my custom twinsticks....I "think" they where digital, but pricy too...
I think I've seen that before. Like everything else it was pricey. :(
Testament/Seven7 wrote:And there probrably "is" a model number, but you'd probrably have to totally dismantle the assembly to find it...just a guess...
Yeah I pretty much did, but didn't see anything. Tomorrow I'll take another look. Also I have a couple revisions of sticks, so I should check out more than one (I have some very old ones from around the VER.5.2 days, and some newer ones from VER.5.66).

On a side note, yesterday I dismantled my DC Twin Sticks and found "SEIMITSU" stamped on one of the parts (the black plastic part that everything screws into), so I guess they manufactured some of the parts. I'll have to check around for a Seimitsu catalog, to see if they sell any parts compatible with the DC Twin Sticks (particularly some of the parts prone to failure).
MentholMoose
Testament/Seven7
Virtual-On Positive

So Seimitsu made the DC sticks? Interesting... I actually didn't figure, since if i remember right, your pic of the 5.66 panel had Sanwa parts in it...

Or did it? *checks*

Well, the QM button looks like a Sanwa button similar to one in one of my projects....but i'm not sure...could have swarn I saw Sanwa stamped on something from your pics...

Maybe not?

MentholMoose
Virtual-On Positive

Post by MentholMoose »

Testament/Seven7 wrote:So Seimitsu made the DC sticks? Interesting... I actually didn't figure, since if i remember right, your pic of the 5.66 panel had Sanwa parts in it...

Or did it? *checks*

Well, the QM button looks like a Sanwa button similar to one in one of my projects....but i'm not sure...could have swarn I saw Sanwa stamped on something from your pics...

Maybe not?
Well most of the parts of the DC Twin Sticks aren't labeled, I just happened to notice the Seimitsu name on one of the parts. On the Saturn Twin Sticks I think some of the parts were made by ASCII, but some are labeled Sega. So who knows?
MentholMoose