VOOT 5.66 on XBLA this April, 1200 points

Discuss the Virtual-On series.
velocity7

VOOT 5.66 on XBLA this April, 1200 points

Post by velocity7 »

Last edited by velocity7 on 25 Feb 2009, 06:24, edited 1 time in total.
MentholMoose
Virtual-On Positive
Gamertag: MentholMoose
PSN: MentholMoose_

Re: VOOT 5.66 on XBLA later this year, 1200 points

Post by MentholMoose »

I seriously may buy a 360 just for this, as long as both of the following conditions are met:
1) Twin Sticks are released, or it's possible to build some.
2) It has solid netplay.

Here's my reasoning...

1) Virtual-On is pointless without Twin Sticks.
2) Virtual-On is pointless without competition, and I already have a complete 5.66 arcade single player setup, and could build a versus setup for less than the cost of a 360 (I actually have everything except for a second N@OMI board). Hmm, now that I think of it, do most or all XBLA games have netplay? I'm not familiar with the system. Also, if other fighting games are on it, how well do they work?
MentholMoose
MentholMoose
Virtual-On Positive

Post by MentholMoose »

I found another link that says the game is coming out in April...
Virtual On For Xbox 360? It's On!
MentholMoose
velocity7

Post by velocity7 »

That's actually the same link, but I didn't read into it too carefully.

Also, all XBLA games are required to:

1. Be on both US/JP marketplaces at same time upon release
2. If it's a versus game, it must have netplay

The question is more if the netcode itself is actually good or not.

As for the question of building twin sticks... no one ever thought that Virtual-ON would come to XBLA like this, so it's all on you! :p See if you can mod a 360 controller's PCB to match? Plenty of controller modding has happened over the past couple of years...
MentholMoose
Virtual-On Positive

Post by MentholMoose »

velocity7 wrote:That's actually the same link, but I didn't read into it too carefully.

Also, all XBLA games are required to:

1. Be on both US/JP marketplaces at same time upon release
2. If it's a versus game, it must have netplay

The question is more if the netcode itself is actually good or not.
That's good news. As for the netcode, I guess we will have to wait and see. The Japanese DC version worked acceptably over modem, so hopefully they can get it working at least as good over broadband.
velocity7 wrote:As for the question of building twin sticks... no one ever thought that Virtual-ON would come to XBLA like this, so it's all on you! :p See if you can mod a 360 controller's PCB to match? Plenty of controller modding has happened over the past couple of years...
I took a look at some pics of the controller PC. It looks like most of the buttons are regular digital buttons (and not analog). Is this right? If so it should be straightforward to do the required modding, depending on the button mappings in the game... now SEGA has made the last few versions (VO for PS2, and that other version) very mod friendly, so hopefully they'll do the same for 5.66 on XBLA.

One more thing, are the various 3rd party 360 controllers any good (mainly performance-wise, since it may be easier to mod a 3rd party controller)?
MentholMoose
velocity7

Post by velocity7 »

MentholMoose wrote:One more thing, are the various 3rd party 360 controllers any good (mainly performance-wise, since it may be easier to mod a 3rd party controller)?
That I'm not too aware of, you'll have to go around other forums/sites and see their opinion on how each controller is.

And yes, AFAIK, the buttons on the 360 are digital, except for the left and right triggers.
MentholMoose
Virtual-On Positive

Post by MentholMoose »

velocity7 wrote:
MentholMoose wrote:One more thing, are the various 3rd party 360 controllers any good (mainly performance-wise, since it may be easier to mod a 3rd party controller)?
That I'm not too aware of, you'll have to go around other forums/sites and see their opinion on how each controller is.

And yes, AFAIK, the buttons on the 360 are digital, except for the left and right triggers.
A Twin Stick controller requires 14 digital inputs, but it appears the 360 controller only has 12 digital, plus the two analog triggers. So hopefully it's possible to somehow adapt the analog triggers.
MentholMoose
MentholMoose
Virtual-On Positive

Re: VOOT 5.66 on XBLA this April, 1200 points

Post by MentholMoose »

I was just coming to post that info... :)
MentholMoose
circuscommando
Virtual-On Positive

Post by circuscommando »

i love this. :P it's the best thing ever! it looks like they've fixed some of the anti-aliasing and polygon problems VOOT had.
MentholMoose
Virtual-On Positive

Post by MentholMoose »

It's hard to determine the improvements from the video because it's about half the resolution of the actual game (720p).

Do you have a 360? I don't, but I'll probably be buying one because I'm pretty sure I can build working Twin Sticks. :D

It's worse for Scott, he just sold his 360, so he'll be rebuying one lol!
MentholMoose
somepunk
Virtual-On Positive

Post by somepunk »

Hows it going, everyone, been a long time lurker, finally just joining lol. So, who was all at the recent gathering? It's funny how there was talk of reviving the community on the Seattle VO forums, and within a month, Microsoft steps in and seriously assists that revival. I just found it funny.
Masters is in my last name, so you know I'm good! - Ken Masters
circuscommando
Virtual-On Positive

Post by circuscommando »

i don't have a 360; i don't have any next gen console, but maybe i can convince my brother to get it, he has a 360.

the picture gallery on Kotaku is where you can really see the improvements.

hey somepunk. I'm fairly new myself, didn't know about the seattle VO forums.
somepunk
Virtual-On Positive

Post by somepunk »

http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/seattle-vo/

join us, you just missed an awesome meet, unfortunately :(
MentholMoose
Virtual-On Positive

Post by MentholMoose »

somepunk wrote:Hows it going, everyone, been a long time lurker, finally just joining lol. So, who was all at the recent gathering?
Welcome to the forums. I'm from SoCal so I wasn't there. However I did get a call from Scott Robinson because he forgot how to do double napalm! I assume fun was had by all.
somepunk wrote:It's funny how there was talk of reviving the community on the Seattle VO forums, and within a month, Microsoft steps in and seriously assists that revival. I just found it funny.
Yeah, I'm hoping it will be as awesome as I can imagine. The SoCal and Seattle players can finally have some serious battles, and who knows, maybe there are good players elsewhere. I ping 50ms to Seattle, which should be good enough assuming the VOOT 360 netcode is decent.
MentholMoose
circuscommando
Virtual-On Positive

Post by circuscommando »

yeah i live on the exact opposite of the states; vermont, not easy, thanks for the link though.
mechazoidal

Post by mechazoidal »

BWS(cott) checking in here, after seeing off Scott R. this weekend. Consider me also pumped, and I'll finally have to scrape up the cash for a 360.

Scott R. swore that it was entirely possible to wire a 360 pad up to Twin Sticks: he would have done a sample pair this weekend to illustrate, but we were too lazy to go out and get a soldering iron. ;)

Both of us were interested in seeing how well they handle the netcode. Scott didn't seem to think it would be too much of a stretch(his explanation hinted that both sides use client-side prediction plus some other synchronization).
somepunk
Virtual-On Positive

Post by somepunk »

Oh yea, it was killer, I was actually right next to him when he called you about the double napalm, we were trying to teach someone how to do it on controller lol. Everyone got some good laughs, I got to see some real players of voot for the first time, I held up a lot better than expected as well (champ of the noobs bracket! haha)

Dammit we shoulda went out and got the soldering gear, that'd been awesome, but I was having way to good of a time with voot, especially watching Matt, Scott, and Tom play. Scott just pwns everything, and Matt and Tom had two very distinct, effing awesome styles. My raiden took a lot away from that day.

Plus, Scott randomly gave out a crapload of swag, I'm still reeling from that one, was not expecting it lol. :o
MentholMoose
Virtual-On Positive

Post by MentholMoose »

mechazoidal wrote:BWS(cott) checking in here, after seeing off Scott R. this weekend. Consider me also pumped, and I'll finally have to scrape up the cash for a 360.
Welcome to the forums! It seems this game will be pushing quite a few people to buy a 360 (especially in Japan, I imagine). :) Thankfully, the console is not as expensive as it used to be.
mechazoidal wrote:Scott R. swore that it was entirely possible to wire a 360 pad up to Twin Sticks: he would have done a sample pair this weekend to illustrate, but we were too lazy to go out and get a soldering iron. ;)
From my research, at least certain 360 pads don't have a common ground, so wiring those will be difficult. Some MadCatz pads do have a common ground and will be way easier. I will be picking one up soon and investigating the various options.
mechazoidal wrote:Both of us were interested in seeing how well they handle the netcode. Scott didn't seem to think it would be too much of a stretch(his explanation hinted that both sides use client-side prediction plus some other synchronization).
I fully trust Scott on this one, after all he implemented netcode for DC VOOT almost 9 years ago!
somepunk wrote:Oh yea, it was killer, I was actually right next to him when he called you about the double napalm, we were trying to teach someone how to do it on controller lol. Everyone got some good laughs, I got to see some real players of voot for the first time, I held up a lot better than expected as well (champ of the noobs bracket! haha)

Dammit we shoulda went out and got the soldering gear, that'd been awesome, but I was having way to good of a time with voot, especially watching Matt, Scott, and Tom play. Scott just pwns everything, and Matt and Tom had two very distinct, effing awesome styles. My raiden took a lot away from that day.
Haha cool, I can't wait for some online VOOT action.
somepunk wrote:Plus, Scott randomly gave out a crapload of swag, I'm still reeling from that one, was not expecting it lol. :o
Scott's always been a cool guy, and has helped the community tremendously.
MentholMoose