More sticks required

Discuss the Virtual-On series.
somepunk
Virtual-On Positive

More sticks required

Post by somepunk »

I'm seriously interested in buying a new set, but I want a customized pair, since the bulletproof stick seller is now only selling the sticks individually, I can't look to him.

I've seen multiple pictures of a set that either Menthol has or Scott, it has a thick white base and the original VOOT arcade panel art. If anyone has any of these types of sticks for sale, please let me know, me and my wallet are all ears. ;)

It can be either the promise of a newly made pair for 360 or an older pair for DC. I'm interested in both.

Thanks a lot guys, hope to hear from some of you!
Masters is in my last name, so you know I'm good! - Ken Masters
Knoxximus
Virtual-On Positive

Re: More sticks required

Post by Knoxximus »

I think you might be talking about the Saturn sticks.

EDIT: Never mind...I saw the pic you are talking about. :oops:
Sergeant Knoxximus, Pilot #24 reporting for duty SIR!!
MentholMoose
Virtual-On Positive
Gamertag: MentholMoose
PSN: MentholMoose_

Post by MentholMoose »

Do you mean this thing?
preview_lowres.jpg
Here is a guide of sorts to build one of these for Dreamcast:
http://www.oratan.com/projects/arcstick.html

Basically you need:
Saturn HSS-0130 (about $100 plus shipping from Japan)
VOOT VER.5.2 versus city panel (rare, but about $100-150 plus shipping from Japan)
Sticks, buttons, and wiring (hopefully included with the panel and usable)
Controller PCB for the console you want to use (the Xbox 360 controller I used is $10 from GameStop)
Last edited by MentholMoose on 10 Apr 2009, 19:08, edited 1 time in total.
MentholMoose
Testament/Seven7
Virtual-On Positive

Post by Testament/Seven7 »

MentholMoose wrote: (the Xbox 360 controller I used is $10 from GameStop)
And is impossible to find in my area. Literally no one has it. And I don't even think I can order it online from gamestop.
Marz First Lt. Testament, Temjin pilot

Xbox live gamertag: Lt Testament
MentholMoose
Virtual-On Positive

Post by MentholMoose »

Testament/Seven7 wrote:
MentholMoose wrote: (the Xbox 360 controller I used is $10 from GameStop)
And is impossible to find in my area. Literally no one has it. And I don't even think I can order it online from gamestop.
Oops, actually I bought it from EBGames. You can check availability by zip code on the site.

Anyway, you're right. It's been discontinued (I wonder why :lol: ) so it's hard to find at a store, and it's not available online. When I bought mine, it was the last one they had.
MentholMoose
somepunk
Virtual-On Positive

Post by somepunk »

Sorry, was gone for a bit, had to go to S-con lol.

But as useful as those guides are, I wasn't interested in building a pair (tried that awhile ago...ergh) I was just curious if anyone had one for sale to buy, I'm assuming I'd be in the right (if not only) place that would have such a thing, I recognize that those beauties no one would probably sell, but it was worth a try :)
Masters is in my last name, so you know I'm good! - Ken Masters
MentholMoose
Virtual-On Positive

Post by MentholMoose »

somepunk wrote:Sorry, was gone for a bit, had to go to S-con lol.

But as useful as those guides are, I wasn't interested in building a pair (tried that awhile ago...ergh) I was just curious if anyone had one for sale to buy, I'm assuming I'd be in the right (if not only) place that would have such a thing, I recognize that those beauties no one would probably sell, but it was worth a try :)
Ah, I see. Well, I was suggesting building your own since they are rare, and actually I've only ever seen a couple besides mine.

I've only seen one or two of these (it might have been the same guy), modded for DC, for sale... ever. They were on Yahoo! Japan Auctions, IIRC priced at ¥50,000 (they didn't sell). That price was somewhat high if everything was used, even factoring in labor. A used HSS-0130 is about ¥12,000, DC Twin Sticks ¥8,000 (just for the PCB), and a used control panel with everything working and with harnesses is ¥10,000+. Nowadays the pricing would be somewhat higher for Xbox 360... the control panel might go for upwards of ¥20,000, and a pre-modded control pad with compatible harness is probably close to ¥10,000. Note that all prices are without shipping.

Really the only realistic option is to try obtaining the various parts and assembling it, or providing the parts to someone to assemble (though the only difficult assembly step is modding a controller PCB to be compatible, the rest mostly just fits together). The hardest part of course is finding the parts. ;)
MentholMoose