What *should* be changed in VOOT for Xbox 360?

Discuss the Virtual-On series.
MentholMoose
Virtual-On Positive
Gamertag: MentholMoose
PSN: MentholMoose_

What *should* be changed in VOOT for Xbox 360?

Post by MentholMoose »

When I first heard the news about the release, I hoped it would be a straight port. But having played VOOT a bunch lately, I thought of one improvement I'd like to see: better AI! The AI opponents in VOOT are just horrible, it is hard to get muchbenefit from practicing single player or training mode.

What do you think, is there anything that should be changed for the new release?
MentholMoose
Dreamcazman
Virtual-On Positive

Re: What *should* be changed in VOOT for Xbox 360?

Post by Dreamcazman »

In addition to the AI, if the damage levels were tweaked a little it would improve the gameplay. Some VR's weapons are just too damn strong for their own good.

You don't want to get hit by Raiden's twin lasers, that's for sure.
Testament/Seven7
Virtual-On Positive

Post by Testament/Seven7 »

The point is every VR has a strength and a weakness. A Raiden's Strength is high firepower, but only in a straight line, and it's high defence, which can be worn down over time if you move quick enough and attack fast enough (fei-yen comes to mind ^^ )

Better AI in the higher difficulty levels would be nice...well, not really (for me) but I can see the argument for it.

I say VMU support is a must, but thats not really a software tweek. I mean, think of all the japanese players who still have vmu's lying around with custom VR colors. Seriously, give us a cable sega, plug a vmu into one end, usb on the other, which can only download "specific" filetypes "to" the HDD, MC, whatever....

I for one am not looking forward to color-matching my custom Temjin...it took alot of tweeking to get it right...

*ahem*

Actually, there isn't much, if anything, i'd like to see tweaked software side. Yeah, most of what i want is hardware related :P

Sorry ^^;;;
Marz First Lt. Testament, Temjin pilot

Xbox live gamertag: Lt Testament
DarK-SuN

Post by DarK-SuN »

Better AI would definitely be welcome.

Hmmmm, VMU customize data import would be VERY good as well, but that might be hard. :\
Maybe people will be able to share their VR customize data though, or so I hope, since it does seem like we'll be able to share replays.

Twin Sticks for 360!
I can dream about this one at least. :P
Thinking of just building my own if all else fails.

Future DLC with extra VRs?
Although this could break the game balance, but I guess more is always potentially better, specially considering it's the VOOT engine. :)
If people are having an online tournament (or even local tournament) and want to play by regular 5.66 rules they'd just have to ban the extra VRs, so no harm done in having them just for future DLC content.

Two player mode in one 360, in training mode, with the second player being able to control the training dummy VR, without seeing their screen!
I like that, what can I say? :)
At least considering the current training mode screens from the 360 VOOT 5.66, this is no longer possible, while DC VOOT 5.45 allowed it.

Here's a silly request though, that I know WILL NOT happen, but one can dream.
Custom VRs, in terms of their weaponry.
We all know that most VRs, as shown in VO games like Force and MARZ are essentially a mass produced base with different weaponry configurations (most glaring cases being the Apharmd series and the Raiden series), so a form of customizing your VR's weaponry to create a "custom VR configuration" (a la Apharmd The Hatter from MARZ, it's a custom Apharmd afterall, storyline wise) could be a nice little extra.
I know I'd create my Apharmd DS with such a mode. :P
Of course, like with the "extra DLC VRs", such custom VRs would most likely get banned from tournaments or "official play", unless it was some custom VR specific tournament with the regular VRs banned.
GamerTag: Ichimoto
VOOM: Apharmd and Raiden VR Pilot
VOOT: Apharmd B, Apharmd C and Raiden VR Pilot
MARZ: Apharmd J, APJ AC, Apharmd HATTER and Raiden VR Pilot
MentholMoose
Virtual-On Positive

Post by MentholMoose »

Another thing is to eliminate all the slowdown. This will actually change the gameplay a bit, but slowdown is somewhat random and shouldn't be in the game.

Adding VRs or allowing VR customization isn't something I'd want to see. Having a "vanilla" VER.5.66 mode doesn't really help, since inevitably the (already small) community will be split between those who want to use new/customized VRs, and those who don't. Having new VRs would be at least somewhat feasible if the developers worked hard on maintaining the game balance based on feedback from players. If they just added some VRs and hoped they got the balance right from the start, the game could be totally broken.

Since were talking about wishes here, one thing I'd like is a expanded training mode including a step by step guide to important aspects of the game. There are already some "tips" displayed during the "attract" mode, but this should be interactive... basically the game shows and demonstrates a task, then you try it yourself, and when you succeed you can progress to the next task. They could make the tasks quite involved, like in the Metal Gear Solid "VR Missions".

This could provide the basis of a "VR pilot license" system to help rank players online. This would help out the newbies a lot, since they could be better matched. It could be like the license system in Gran Turismo, where you have multiple license tiers, with a passing score (gold, silver, bronze). The scores would be based on completion time or other measure.

The tasks I'd especially like to see would be maneuverability tests. There could be maps designed for testing VR control skills-- basically obstacle courses-- or just add extra obstacles to existing maps. For example, there could tasks for testing air dash control, where you have to dash through rings.

On that subject, I'd like to see some dedicated practice maps, designed for experimentation. One map in particular I think would be useful would be a completely empty area that is huge. This could be played solo, for practicing movement techniques, for example, or played against AI opponents to help improve evasion skills.
MentholMoose
Schooly D
Virtual-On Positive
Gamertag: Schooly D

Post by Schooly D »

I sincerely doubt they're going to add or tweak anything besides adding netplay. Things like improved AI, new single-player modes and maps... I just don't think it'll happen. I believe the reason this project (as well as many others) got off the ground is because it's an easy way to make a quick buck. Just hire a few people to port the thing and write netcode, put it on XBLA (no need to manufacture discs) and let the money roll in. From their standpoint, there's really no need to add new features.
Made in Malaysia by Kurt Russell and Goldie Hawn
Testament/Seven7
Virtual-On Positive

If they did add stages, i'd like to see a zero-G stage, something ala-Tangram, but get creative with it...

ie: a pair of VR's fighting outside one of the space-carriers, make it look like attack/defense roles. Maybe thats a little too gundam-ish in concept, but i'd love to see vr's duking it out in space...

circuscommando
Virtual-On Positive

Post by circuscommando »

more levels would be sweet i think, as some of them can get a bit same-y. Also, the removal of the water traps XD. The custom virtuoids would be a bad idea, they tried that in Force, but it turned into a killing fest when pro's had all the best parts.
DarK-SuN

Post by DarK-SuN »

MentholMoose wrote:Another thing is to eliminate all the slowdown. This will actually change the gameplay a bit, but slowdown is somewhat random and shouldn't be in the game.

Adding VRs or allowing VR customization isn't something I'd want to see. Having a "vanilla" VER.5.66 mode doesn't really help, since inevitably the (already small) community will be split between those who want to use new/customized VRs, and those who don't. Having new VRs would be at least somewhat feasible if the developers worked hard on maintaining the game balance based on feedback from players. If they just added some VRs and hoped they got the balance right from the start, the game could be totally broken.
Yeah, don't mind me, just a silly wish. :)
Maybe for a next game, with the VOOT engine, preferably.
MentholMoose wrote:Since were talking about wishes here, one thing I'd like is a expanded training mode including a step by step guide to important aspects of the game. There are already some "tips" displayed during the "attract" mode, but this should be interactive... basically the game shows and demonstrates a task, then you try it yourself, and when you succeed you can progress to the next task. They could make the tasks quite involved, like in the Metal Gear Solid "VR Missions".

This could provide the basis of a "VR pilot license" system to help rank players online. This would help out the newbies a lot, since they could be better matched. It could be like the license system in Gran Turismo, where you have multiple license tiers, with a passing score (gold, silver, bronze). The scores would be based on completion time or other measure.

The tasks I'd especially like to see would be maneuverability tests. There could be maps designed for testing VR control skills-- basically obstacle courses-- or just add extra obstacles to existing maps. For example, there could tasks for testing air dash control, where you have to dash through rings.

On that subject, I'd like to see some dedicated practice maps, designed for experimentation. One map in particular I think would be useful would be a completely empty area that is huge. This could be played solo, for practicing movement techniques, for example, or played against AI opponents to help improve evasion skills.
I like the sound of that, that'd be a great idea!
GamerTag: Ichimoto
VOOM: Apharmd and Raiden VR Pilot
VOOT: Apharmd B, Apharmd C and Raiden VR Pilot
MARZ: Apharmd J, APJ AC, Apharmd HATTER and Raiden VR Pilot
MentholMoose
Virtual-On Positive

Post by MentholMoose »

evenpar123 wrote:I sincerely doubt they're going to add or tweak anything besides adding netplay. Things like improved AI, new single-player modes and maps... I just don't think it'll happen. I believe the reason this project (as well as many others) got off the ground is because it's an easy way to make a quick buck. Just hire a few people to port the thing and write netcode, put it on XBLA (no need to manufacture discs) and let the money roll in. From their standpoint, there's really no need to add new features.
I know, I know. I'm just thinking about what would have been cool or interesting to be included.
MentholMoose
VR-Eli
Gamertag: Mintzaigar

Post by VR-Eli »

Chibi-Chara Mode!! :D
Xbox Gamertag: Mintzaigar
Testament/Seven7
Virtual-On Positive

VR-Eli wrote:Chibi-Chara Mode!! :D
Ohohoh, do we get baratos and tangram modes too? XD

actually, Chibi-chara isn't that bad an idea.

MentholMoose
Virtual-On Positive

Post by MentholMoose »

DarK-SuN wrote:
MentholMoose wrote:Another thing is to eliminate all the slowdown. This will actually change the gameplay a bit, but slowdown is somewhat random and shouldn't be in the game.

Yeah, don't mind me, just a silly wish. :)
Maybe for a next game, with the VOOT engine, preferably.
There are countless possibilities for a new VOOT-based game. If they ever make a new VO, I really hope they do something more like VOOT. I think they are at least entertaining the possibility considering the recent questionnaire (I always thought it was pretty bizarre that they didn't release a VO after Force).
VR-Eli wrote:Chibi-Chara Mode!! :D
Virtual-On Kids, sounds like a plan!! :lol:
MentholMoose
circuscommando
Virtual-On Positive

Post by circuscommando »

actually, it could be a pretty damn good tv show like gundam.
MentholMoose
Virtual-On Positive

Post by MentholMoose »

circuscommando wrote:actually, it could be a pretty damn good tv show like gundam.
Yeah, minus that whole "entering a vegetative state" thing when you lose a battle. :lol:
MentholMoose
VR-Eli
Gamertag: Mintzaigar

Post by VR-Eli »

MentholMoose wrote:
circuscommando wrote:actually, it could be a pretty damn good tv show like gundam.
Yeah, minus that whole "entering a vegetative state" thing when you lose a battle. :lol:
I'm all for "It runs on dead people!" bullshittery though :P
Xbox Gamertag: Mintzaigar
Testament/Seven7
Virtual-On Positive

Personally, vo's story is so complex, intricate, and crazy, I think only a select few could pull it off...

Ganiax anyone? :p

circuscommando
Virtual-On Positive

Post by circuscommando »

Testament/Seven7 wrote:Personally, vo's story is so complex, intricate, and crazy, I think only a select few could pull it off...

Ganiax anyone? :p
that just means they could spread it out for a few seasons (more complex the show=longer, IE: Ghost in the Shell, Fullmetal Alchemist).
Aya Kyunik

Post by Aya Kyunik »

VR-Eli wrote:
MentholMoose wrote:
I'm all for "It runs on dead people!" bullshittery though :P

Specineff anyone?...
...wait, that was only in Force/Marz wasn't it?

I wouldn't mind that kind of "challenge" mode that Menthol brought up, and the whole meta game of a VR Pilot card/rank or something.

To be honest, I'm just happy that I get to colour my VR lol XD
moeidolatry.com
The photogenic idolisation of pixel, plastic and nonsense~
Fei-Yen Fever
Long Shadow

Post by Long Shadow »

I think VOOT does have a ranking in online mode. If you look at the trailer (at the 30s mark), you can see these weird shapes per person in the lobby. It's a safe bet that these are player ranks.

And, Specineff is in VOOT also.
http://vo-ot360.sega.jp/vr_specineff.html