(Speculation) What would Force look like on XBLA...?

Discuss the Virtual-On series.
velocity7

(Speculation) What would Force look like on XBLA...?

Post by velocity7 »

Thoughts?

If SEGA ever went and did this, here's what I think might happen:

1. XBLA at 1200 points
2. Comes with VR license and unlimited "starter" licenses
3. Additional VR licenses come at 200-400 points? Maybe cheaper, depending?
4. 4-player splitscreen?

"VR license" - license that allows an XBLA account to activate a VR series, such as Temjin, Raiden, etc. Can only be done once per XBLA account (any accounts that are offline can only use starter licenses for all VR series).
Testament/Seven7
Virtual-On Positive

Re: (Speculation) What would Force look like on XBLA...?

Post by Testament/Seven7 »

i'm pretty sure they'd just use chara/vr slots, something ala Phantasy star online or Universe. Start off with 4-6, additional ones cost mspoints. That would be more sensible to me anyway.

Also, if OT dosen't have 2-player split-screen, I doubt 4 player splitscreen is even a dream. 4-way system link or 4 players over XBL however sounds much more feasible.
Marz First Lt. Testament, Temjin pilot

Xbox live gamertag: Lt Testament
Long Shadow

Post by Long Shadow »

Can you please clarify the "VR license" (VRL) thingy. Why in the world would you want to be limited to just use one series.

If I understand you correctly, you have one VRL that come with the game, and just say I mainly use the Fei-Yen series. So I can only use Fei-Yen series VRs online, and if I wanted to say use Raiden online, I'd have to pay extra for that.

I say F#ck that. Why would someone even think of this method of playing/paying for a VO game on XBL (or any home platform)? It's not an MMO, or PSO/PSU

Does the Arcade version use a similar method? One VR per card or something?

----

As for split-screen, unless it was a retail title, I'd doubt they'd put the effort into split-screen. VOOT 360 could have had it, but I'm guessing budget/time was the reason. Also, because VOOT is being distributed online, they probably figured most people would play it online anyway, or something like that.
MentholMoose
Virtual-On Positive
Gamertag: MentholMoose
PSN: MentholMoose_

Post by MentholMoose »

Long Shadow wrote:Does the Arcade version use a similar method? One VR per card or something?
Yes, this is basically how the arcade version works. You buy a card for a particular series of VR, and you start with a base VR. You then earn upgraded VRs somehow by playing the game. You have to buy additional cards to work on earning VRs from other series. As I recall, once you upgrade enough times using a single card, it gets locked to that VR, and (I think) expires after some number of matches.

According to some people, this system is not newbie friendly. The base VRs are weaker than the better ones that can be earned, so you have to use the card system and play against better players with better VRs for a number of matches to eventually have a chance, and that means a lot of time and money basically just to get started!! Plus it's two versus two, so not only do you have to be dedicated, you need a dedicated co-pilot as well! OK, sure, you can play with random co-pilots, but this is a huge limitation.

Now on to the topic subject. I don't think there will be 4-player split screen. :shock: Determining how the arcade card system should translate to a console is difficult. I think they would include more than one VR license (or "slots" as Testament/Seven7 puts it). It would really suck to have to pay extra for the privilege of building multiple VR series, and I'm not sure if people would accept it. However, should people have unlimited licenses?

The more I think about it, the more I doubt I would actually play this game. :lol: Besides the questionable license system, there is the co-pilot issue. This is a niche title, and I wonder if it's feasible to find someone with similar dedication and schedule to me, that I could partner up with. The west coast does have a pretty big VO fanbase, so maybe it's possible, but what about other areas? Would Socal players just end up teaming up and playing against teams of Washingon players? Maybe I'll just stick with VOOT and not worry about it. :)
MentholMoose
Long Shadow

Post by Long Shadow »

Interesting. In arcades, Japanese arcade, I can see it working somewhat, but on a home network, like Xbox live, it just wouldn't be work.

Unlimited and free VR licenses is the only way of doing it that would be acceptable, otherwise it's like buying a crippled game. Now, if they gave that game away for free, and sell the licenses, maybe, and only if it's a multi-player only game. But still, unlimited and free VR licenses is the only way to go for a home port.

Can VO:Force be played solo, with mabe an AI controlling your partner or something?
Last edited by Long Shadow on 21 Apr 2009, 10:36, edited 1 time in total.
MentholMoose
Virtual-On Positive

Post by MentholMoose »

Long Shadow wrote:Can VO:Force be played solo, with mabe an AI controlling your partner or something
Yeah, but... well, VO AI is... questionable.
MentholMoose
Long Shadow

Post by Long Shadow »

MentholMoose wrote:
Long Shadow wrote:Can VO:Force be played solo, with mabe an AI controlling your partner or something
Yeah, but... well, VO AI is... questionable.
True, :lol: , though I was just wondering if it was strictly multi-player or not.
Sixfortyfive
Virtual-On Positive

Post by Sixfortyfive »

The whole upgrade system is why I'm just not interested in Force at all. 4-player is appealing, but who thought it was a good idea to include a leveling system in what is purely an arcade versus game?
mechazoidal

Post by mechazoidal »

IIRC, Virtua Fighter 5 had just come out with a card system, so I believe Sega was pushing it pretty heavy. Really, Force always struck me as trying to throw together too many experimental ideas too quickly and hacking them together to make it “playable”. Four-player matches: just slow the speed down so newbies can manage. Higher-level VRs: lock them off with the card-system to pump them for cash.

Frankly, I have no problems with Force never being ported thanks to the card-system because it outright broke the spirit of VO. The first(and last) time I saw the Force machine in Japan, two guys were quietly playing junk matches to level-up their cards. Once they noticed that I was in line, they both stepped out, so I ended up playing single-player. Once I lost, they immediately sat down again and kept leveling.
MentholMoose
Virtual-On Positive

Post by MentholMoose »

That does not sound interesting at all. :(
MentholMoose
Long Shadow

Post by Long Shadow »

mechazoidal wrote:Frankly, I have no problems with Force never being ported thanks to the card-system because it outright broke the spirit of VO. The first(and last) time I saw the Force machine in Japan, two guys were quietly playing junk matches to level-up their cards. Once they noticed that I was in line, they both stepped out, so I ended up playing single-player. Once I lost, they immediately sat down again and kept leveling.
At least they let you cut into their, um, leveling :lol:

How much money must they go through just to level up!
MentholMoose
Virtual-On Positive

Post by MentholMoose »

Long Shadow wrote:
mechazoidal wrote:Frankly, I have no problems with Force never being ported thanks to the card-system because it outright broke the spirit of VO. The first(and last) time I saw the Force machine in Japan, two guys were quietly playing junk matches to level-up their cards. Once they noticed that I was in line, they both stepped out, so I ended up playing single-player. Once I lost, they immediately sat down again and kept leveling.
At least they let you cut into their, um, leveling :lol:

How much money must they go through just to level up!
Probably a lot, considering that certain license cards used to sell for hundreds of dollars on Yahoo! Japan Auctions.
MentholMoose
velocity7

Post by velocity7 »

MentholMoose wrote:
Long Shadow wrote:Does the Arcade version use a similar method? One VR per card or something?
Yes, this is basically how the arcade version works. You buy a card for a particular series of VR, and you start with a base VR. You then earn upgraded VRs somehow by playing the game. You have to buy additional cards to work on earning VRs from other series. As I recall, once you upgrade enough times using a single card, it gets locked to that VR, and (I think) expires after some number of matches.

According to some people, this system is not newbie friendly. The base VRs are weaker than the better ones that can be earned, so you have to use the card system and play against better players with better VRs for a number of matches to eventually have a chance, and that means a lot of time and money basically just to get started!! Plus it's two versus two, so not only do you have to be dedicated, you need a dedicated co-pilot as well! OK, sure, you can play with random co-pilots, but this is a huge limitation.

Now on to the topic subject. I don't think there will be 4-player split screen. :shock: Determining how the arcade card system should translate to a console is difficult. I think they would include more than one VR license (or "slots" as Testament/Seven7 puts it). It would really suck to have to pay extra for the privilege of building multiple VR series, and I'm not sure if people would accept it. However, should people have unlimited licenses?

The more I think about it, the more I doubt I would actually play this game. :lol: Besides the questionable license system, there is the co-pilot issue. This is a niche title, and I wonder if it's feasible to find someone with similar dedication and schedule to me, that I could partner up with. The west coast does have a pretty big VO fanbase, so maybe it's possible, but what about other areas? Would Socal players just end up teaming up and playing against teams of Washingon players? Maybe I'll just stick with VOOT and not worry about it. :)
Do you know what this kind of system reminds me of? An MMO. :p

To be honest, seeing this kind of thing in the arcades is a total money/time sink, especially if the cards expire and stuff. At least somewhere like on XBLA there's a good chance you'll eventually build up, everything remains permanent, and you can have yourself a good time.
circuscommando
Virtual-On Positive

Post by circuscommando »

haha, guys my brother's so awesome, he can't find any of the arcade sticks in japan, but he did find VO force which he is playing a bunch,
here's the message:
"its great! i have been playing Virtual on 4!

:D

its basically amazing! and i also bought one of the soldier card things for it, so you can save yours stats xD"
I corrected telling him it wasn't "4", it was force, but the funnier thing though is that he got me a gamecard D-circus, i'll probably never be able to play it, but isn't that sweet?
Testament/Seven7
Virtual-On Positive

Post by Testament/Seven7 »

dude, thats cool.

Maybe he can ask the arcade ops where the force machine is where they can get spare joystick units for the machine? Just a thought.
Marz First Lt. Testament, Temjin pilot

Xbox live gamertag: Lt Testament
MentholMoose
Virtual-On Positive

Post by MentholMoose »

Testament/Seven7 wrote:dude, thats cool.

Maybe he can ask the arcade ops where the force machine is where they can get spare joystick units for the machine? Just a thought.
Yeah that information would be very useful.
MentholMoose
circuscommando
Virtual-On Positive

Post by circuscommando »

i doubt he could personally, he barely knows any japanese at all, plus i think he's coming home like REALLY soon.