APRIL 29th!!

Discuss the Virtual-On series.
Knoxximus
Virtual-On Positive

Re: APRIL 29th!!

Post by Knoxximus »

Wow...they actually made good on the April release window after all! :shock:

I have like 3000 points already on my console, so I am MORE than ready! I may buy it TWICE!! :lol:

Seriously tho....I might buy another 360 just so I CAN buy it twice just for system link ALONE.

Think about it fellas....some of us have the DC link setup as it is. To have ver. 5.66 of VOOT set up for system link for the rest of your natural life? Sounds like it's worth the price of admission to me! :mrgreen:

OUR DESTINY IS UPON US!! :ugeek:
Sergeant Knoxximus, Pilot #24 reporting for duty SIR!!
MentholMoose
Virtual-On Positive
Gamertag: MentholMoose
PSN: MentholMoose_

Post by MentholMoose »

Knoxximus wrote:Think about it fellas....some of us have the DC link setup as it is. To have ver. 5.66 of VOOT set up for system link for the rest of your natural life? Sounds like it's worth the price of admission to me! :mrgreen:

OUR DESTINY IS UPON US!! :ugeek:
That's assuming an Xbox 360 will survive that long, and if the XBLA feature still functions after the 360 is EOL, MS pulls the plug on Live, or whatever. For the long term, the arcade version is a probably safer bet, but currently is quite expensive.
MentholMoose
Knoxximus
Virtual-On Positive

Post by Knoxximus »

But that's my point! Live or not, system link is FOREVER! 8-)

To clarify, system link =/= link cable.
Long Shadow

Post by Long Shadow »

Knoxximus wrote: Seriously tho....I might buy another 360 just so I CAN buy it twice just for system link ALONE.
If you did get another 360, with both consoles connected online (like with a hub/router/what ever), then you'll only need to buy the game once.
The console you bought it on will allow any GamerTag to use the full game (online or offline). While on the other console, you use it with the GamerTag you bought it with, as long it's connected online. Of course, you don't need a gold account to use LAN.
MentholMoose
Virtual-On Positive

Post by MentholMoose »

That's good info, thanks.
MentholMoose
Knoxximus
Virtual-On Positive

Post by Knoxximus »

Long Shadow wrote:
Knoxximus wrote: Seriously tho....I might buy another 360 just so I CAN buy it twice just for system link ALONE.
If you did get another 360, with both consoles connected online (like with a hub/router/what ever), then you'll only need to buy the game once.
The console you bought it on will allow any GamerTag to use the full game (online or offline). While on the other console, you use it with the GamerTag you bought it with, as long it's connected online. Of course, you don't need a gold account to use LAN.
Right...and I understand this as well. It seems that my point is being missed.

Just as the Dreamcast is no longer online, as time marches on, I'm sure that one day 360 servers will be brought offline as well. Barring some nice fancy fan hacked VOOT server when this happens (which I totally expect Menthol to spearhead :D ), having 2 360's with VOOT (and the above method would work for this) and an ethernet cable between the 2 effectively duplicates the Dreamcast local system link.

In conclusion, although one day Xbox Live may die, local 2-player VOOT can live for an eternity. 8-)

And Menthol, you might not be aware of this, since you don't have a 360 yet, but once you download VOOT, it is on your HD forever, which means you don't have to be online to play it.
Testament/Seven7
Virtual-On Positive

Post by Testament/Seven7 »

Unless the HD dies of course..but there's ways of backing up that data anyway so....

And there's ways of fixing 360's too, so nothing is dead forever ^^
Marz First Lt. Testament, Temjin pilot

Xbox live gamertag: Lt Testament
Knoxximus
Virtual-On Positive

Post by Knoxximus »

*sighs*...so many devil's advocates in here....

The gist of what I'm saying is that, with the proper controls, 360 local system link play with arcade perfect ver. 5.66 optimized for HD>>>>>>Dreamcast ver. 5.45 system link play.

That's all I'm trying to say. I mean, anything and everything can go kaput...that's the chance we take with anything you can plug into a socket. I thought you guys would LOVE the idea of the closest thing to a ver. 5.66 cabinet setup short of buying one (THAT COULD ALSO BREAK AT ANY GIVEN MOMENT). :roll:
Testament/Seven7
Virtual-On Positive

Post by Testament/Seven7 »

*shrugs* the idea is nice, and i'm sure at least one of us could afford it...

Maybe...
Marz First Lt. Testament, Temjin pilot

Xbox live gamertag: Lt Testament
Knoxximus
Virtual-On Positive

Post by Knoxximus »

Testament/Seven7 wrote:*shrugs* the idea is nice, and i'm sure at least one of us could afford it...

Maybe...
Ahhhhhh now I see...the apathy is financially motivated. My bad. I mean, I can afford it, and I guess I was wrong to assume that this could be an option for others who are like-minded. :oops:

Remember, in the next few years, 360's will continue to drop in price as technology marches on. So, although this setup might be a bit pricey right now (though still undoubtedly cheaper and less space consuming than an actual cabinet), I'm sure one day it might be as cheap as how you can now run out and buy a used DC for $30-$40 bucks.

PLUS you won't have to worry about hunting down a proprietary link cable, as the 360 used standard CAT-5.

So take heart! :D
MentholMoose
Virtual-On Positive

Post by MentholMoose »

Knoxximus wrote:And Menthol, you might not be aware of this, since you don't have a 360 yet, but once you download VOOT, it is on your HD forever, which means you don't have to be online to play it.
Thanks for the info. I had assumed there's some sort of online activation, DRM, or something else that could eventually prevent downloaded games from functioning.
MentholMoose
Knoxximus
Virtual-On Positive

Post by Knoxximus »

MentholMoose wrote:
Knoxximus wrote:And Menthol, you might not be aware of this, since you don't have a 360 yet, but once you download VOOT, it is on your HD forever, which means you don't have to be online to play it.
Thanks for the info. I had assumed there's some sort of online activation, DRM, or something else that could eventually prevent downloaded games from functioning.
I guess everything else I've been spouting makes a little more sense now. :D

The catch is, that the HD has to be connected to the original console that you downloaded the game to to work offline. This is why I was saying I'd go the extra safe route and buy it twice to 2 separate consoles/HD's. Of course, 360's fail (though no problems from Jasper as of yet). To remedy this, Microsoft allows you to transfer the license of all your downloaded items to a new console once a year. And any time you send your console in for repairs, they do this as standard, regardless if your system failed once or 7 times that year. The once a year is more or less if you decide to upgrade on your own.

Hope this helps! :mrgreen:

NEXT WEEK, PEOPLE!!! :geek:
Long Shadow

Post by Long Shadow »

I know what you meant, I just gave one extra option in case you didn't know.

Assuming you can do what I originally mentioned now, you can always buy another version of VOOT for the 2nd console for offline play later, when you need it. It's not like they're gonna go out of stock VOOT. It's fine planning for the future, but for things that can wait, maybe you should, in this case I refer to buying a second copy of VOOT for offline play.

Then again, one extra sale of VOOT now can't hurt, and can only help with potentially getting more VO content later.
MentholMoose
Virtual-On Positive

Post by MentholMoose »

Long Shadow wrote:I know what you meant, I just gave one extra option in case you didn't know.

Assuming you can do what I originally mentioned now, you can always buy another version of VOOT for the 2nd console for offline play later, when you need it. It's not like they're gonna go out of stock VOOT. It's fine planning for the future, but for things that can wait, maybe you should, in this case I refer to buying a second copy of VOOT for offline play.

Then again, one extra sale of VOOT now can't hurt, and can only help with potentially getting more VO content later.
Plus VOOT is $12, which probably isn't much of a stretch if you're buying a second Xbox 360 and Twin Sticks. Oh yeah, and don't forget about the Achievement points, which you can earn with your first purchase and use toward buying VOOT a second time!
MentholMoose
Knoxximus
Virtual-On Positive

Post by Knoxximus »

MentholMoose wrote:
Long Shadow wrote:I know what you meant, I just gave one extra option in case you didn't know.

Plus VOOT is $12, which probably isn't much of a stretch if you're buying a second Xbox 360 and Twin Sticks. Oh yeah, and don't forget about the Achievement points, which you can earn with your first purchase and use toward buying VOOT a second time!
Okay Menthol....gotta stop you riiiiight there. :lol:

Achievement points are for bragging rights only...they cannot be used as currency. I wish that were the case, as I'd have 16,000+ points to burn. And M$ points are weird...it's like every 400 points = $5. So, 800 = $10, and 1200 = $15. Just so you know.
MentholMoose
Virtual-On Positive

Post by MentholMoose »

Knoxximus wrote:
MentholMoose wrote:

Achievement points are for bragging rights only...they cannot be used as currency. I wish that were the case, as I'd have 16,000+ points to burn. And M$ points are weird...it's like every 400 points = $5. So, 800 = $10, and 1200 = $15. Just so you know.
Oh really?! I was way off, thanks for the corrections. :oops: I gotta buy a 360 and get familiar with the features. :lol: Anyway, $15 still isn't that much in the suggested scenario. :)
MentholMoose
Knoxximus
Virtual-On Positive

Post by Knoxximus »

MentholMoose wrote:
Knoxximus wrote:
MentholMoose wrote:

Oh really?! I was way off, thanks for the corrections. :oops: I gotta buy a 360 and get familiar with the features. :lol: Anyway, $15 still isn't that much in the suggested scenario. :)
Exactly. $30 for 2 copies of HD optimized ver. 5.66? With online battle, system link, voice chat and custom paintjobs? I've paid more for less. 8-)
Frostycyke

Post by Frostycyke »

VOOT may be the 2nd game I really try to get all the achievement's. The first was Mass Effect, and really I wanted all of them simply becuase they added gameplay benefits. Other games, I may have gotten them, but I wasn't going out of my way to do it.

Xbox GT- Frostycyke
MentholMoose
Virtual-On Positive

Post by MentholMoose »

Frostycyke wrote:VOOT may be the 2nd game I really try to get all the achievement's. The first was Mass Effect, and really I wanted all of them simply becuase they added gameplay benefits. Other games, I may have gotten them, but I wasn't going out of my way to do it.
I'll probably get them, too, but not really on purpose, unless there is some benefit. But if you do one single player play-through, you will get almost all of them.

From looking at the Virtual-On achievement list, an average player can get these with one play-through, though some might have trouble getting AJIM to appear on the first try.
Defeated an opponent in Single Player or Multiplayer mode.
Earn a PERFECT in a Single Player or Multiplayer match.
Scored a close-range attack in Single Player or Multiplayer mode.
Uploaded a Score Attack score to rankings.
Used a customized VR in Single Player mode.
Battled Ajim.
Defeated Bradtos in Arcade mode.
Defeated Tangram in Arcade mode.

This one probably can be done in one play-through. It probably depends on the number of rounds per match, and maybe VR (spammy VRs probably get more hits per round).
Scored a total of 300 hits in Single Player or Multiplayer mode.

These are easy enough.
Played one ranked match.
Watched one match.

This will take a bit longer.
Played 10 ranked matches.
MentholMoose
Knoxximus
Virtual-On Positive

Post by Knoxximus »

MentholMoose wrote:
Frostycyke wrote:VOOT may be the 2nd game I really try to get all the achievement's. The first was Mass Effect, and really I wanted all of them simply becuase they added gameplay benefits. Other games, I may have gotten them, but I wasn't going out of my way to do it.
I'll probably get them, too, but not really on purpose, unless there is some benefit. But if you do one single player play-through, you will get almost all of them.

From looking at the Virtual-On achievement list, an average player can get these with one play-through, though some might have trouble getting AJIM to appear on the first try.
Defeated an opponent in Single Player or Multiplayer mode.
Earn a PERFECT in a Single Player or Multiplayer match.
Scored a close-range attack in Single Player or Multiplayer mode.
Uploaded a Score Attack score to rankings.
Used a customized VR in Single Player mode.
Battled Ajim.
Defeated Bradtos in Arcade mode.
Defeated Tangram in Arcade mode.

This one probably can be done in one play-through. It probably depends on the number of rounds per match, and maybe VR (spammy VRs probably get more hits per round).
Scored a total of 300 hits in Single Player or Multiplayer mode.

These are easy enough.
Played one ranked match.
Watched one match.

This will take a bit longer.
Played 10 ranked matches.
Not if you play for any period of time the 1st day/week of release. Most 360'ers seem to have a really short attention span, so if you want that achievement, don't dilly dally!