Deathmatch or Timed?

Discuss the Virtual-On series.
Testament/Seven7
Virtual-On Positive

Re: Deathmatch or Timed?

Post by Testament/Seven7 »

MentholMoose wrote:
RVR - 42 wrote:I'd probably say timed is more..."professional" just because if your opponent does choose to runaway for the last 20 seconds or so...he's commiting social suicide and won't merit very much respect.
I guess it depends on the scene. In Japan the standard is to play to win, so if a player does have enough health advantage to run away for 20 seconds, it is a socially acceptable strategy. In other areas, for whatever reason, maybe this is not the case. As for VOOT online, unless you are playing with some friends for practice or fun, I wouldn't expect people to play "honorably".
if all else fails, either they run away (and you give chase, of course, guns blazing), or, they leave before the match ends if they are gonna lose....

Why do people do that? It always ends up on youtube so people know your a sore loser anyway, why bother trying to run? :P
Marz First Lt. Testament, Temjin pilot

Xbox live gamertag: Lt Testament
RVR - 42
Virtual-On Positive

Post by RVR - 42 »

Testament/Seven7 wrote:
MentholMoose wrote:
RVR - 42 wrote:I'd probably say timed is more..."professional" just because if your opponent does choose to runaway for the last 20 seconds or so...he's commiting social suicide and won't merit very much respect.
I guess it depends on the scene. In Japan the standard is to play to win, so if a player does have enough health advantage to run away for 20 seconds, it is a socially acceptable strategy. In other areas, for whatever reason, maybe this is not the case. As for VOOT online, unless you are playing with some friends for practice or fun, I wouldn't expect people to play "honorably".
if all else fails, either they run away (and you give chase, of course, guns blazing), or, they leave before the match ends if they are gonna lose....

Why do people do that? It always ends up on youtube so people know your a sore loser anyway, why bother trying to run? :P
Ahhh...indeed, indeed. Playing to win vs, playing for fun. How many times does this come up over at C-Unity. I see what you mean though, MM. I have had my fair share of SFIV to know that when you play strangers...honorable play is foreign and unheard of. LOL! Just comes with the nature of the game, I guess. *shrugs* But yea...youtube, it's great isn't it, Lt? lol
"Nuh uh uh"
MentholMoose
Virtual-On Positive
Gamertag: MentholMoose
PSN: MentholMoose_

Post by MentholMoose »

RVR - 42 wrote:Ahhh...indeed, indeed. Playing to win vs, playing for fun. How many times does this come up over at C-Unity. I see what you mean though, MM. I have had my fair share of SFIV to know that when you play strangers...honorable play is foreign and unheard of. LOL! Just comes with the nature of the game, I guess. *shrugs* But yea...youtube, it's great isn't it, Lt? lol
Yeah, it's going to be interesting to see have the online VOOT scene develops. Since I'm pretty sure I know (or knew at some point) most of the top US players, I'm really wondering if any "unknowns" will be top players in the US. Plus the whole controller issue is concerning... basically can a control pad user actually compete at a high level? I guess both issues depend on the scene demographics... if a kid with tons of spare time picks up the game, then maybe they can do it. But can they (and do they want to) catch up with the experienced players? Will the experienced players even be good anyway, considering their skills are rusty and the level of competition was never that high to begin with? Also, how many kids will even want to play a game with 1990s graphics? :P

As for playing to win versus fun, I'm not sure what I'll be doing the most. Since I have relatively limited time available, I need to be careful to get the most out of it, and not waste a lot of time messing around. So perhaps I'll work on regaining my CC skills with my CC fanatic friends, and play serious with everyone else. If the Socal scene develops to how it once was, then maybe we can have gatherings again, where we can play for fun. But who know?! :)
MentholMoose
Sixfortyfive
Virtual-On Positive

Post by Sixfortyfive »

There is no such thing as "dishonorable" play as long as you're not outright disconnecting or using cheating/hacking devices or something.
Testament/Seven7
Virtual-On Positive

I dunno if cheating devices will work in XBLA, I also question the sanity of rapid fire (i doubt it would help much, i'd probrably hurt you more).

I suspect there will be 2 intentional disconnects for every 10 games, roughly.

MentholMoose
Virtual-On Positive

Post by MentholMoose »

Testament/Seven7 wrote:I dunno if cheating devices will work in XBLA, I also question the sanity of rapid fire (i doubt it would help much, i'd probrably hurt you more).
I can't think of anything in VOOT that would benefit from a rapid fire controller. Some things require rapid button presses, but typically (maybe always) in conjunction with some other input.
Testament/Seven7 wrote:I suspect there will be 2 intentional disconnects for every 10 games, roughly.
I've never played any Xbox Live versus game, is that 20% disconnect rate typical?
MentholMoose
Testament/Seven7
Virtual-On Positive

I dunno honestly, it's a guess.

I've never played on live either, but i know the disconnect rate can get a little high, depending on the game being played. I imagine that new people to the game will jump right in, and not wanting their records tarnished or w/e, may try and disconnect.

I hope a system is implimented where an intentional D/C will result in an auto-loss...that whould be awsome...

Frostycyke

Post by Frostycyke »

I disagree with the idea that playing to win and playing for fun are two seperate things. I have fun BY playing to win. Some of the most exciting and fun matches I have ever had on any competitive game is vs an opponent of equal or higher skill than myself, and we are both using ever trick, tactic, and mindgame to gain the advantage over the other. Even if the opponent's strategy may be frustrating to me, I still enjoy working out ways to counter it. And then the opponent will try to counter my counter and then I'll counter-counter his counter, and then he'll try to counter-counter my counter-counter...

Hmm.. counter is a funny word when you say it over and over.

As for the ratio of disconnections on XBLA. I play SF4 on both PS3 and 360 and I do encounter (damn, there is counter, again) more DC's, and hatemail, on Xbox live as oppossed to PSN. I think it may have to do with the fact that just more people have xbox's than PS3's, so you get a much wider sampling of the scum of the earth.

Xbox GT- Frostycyke
MentholMoose
Virtual-On Positive

Post by MentholMoose »

Frostycyke wrote:I disagree with the idea that playing to win and playing for fun are two seperate things. I have fun BY playing to win. Some of the most exciting and fun matches I have ever had on any competitive game is vs an opponent of equal or higher skill than myself, and we are both using ever trick, tactic, and mindgame to gain the advantage over the other. Even if the opponent's strategy may be frustrating to me, I still enjoy working out ways to counter it. And then the opponent will try to counter my counter and then I'll counter-counter his counter, and then he'll try to counter-counter my counter-counter...
I feel the same way, and prefer playing to win. In my posts where I used "fun", I was just using it as another way of saying "not playing to win".
Frostycyke wrote:Hmm.. counter is a funny word when you say it over and over.
:lol:
Frostycyke wrote:As for the ratio of disconnections on XBLA. I play SF4 on both PS3 and 360 and I do encounter (damn, there is counter, again) more DC's, and hatemail, on Xbox live as oppossed to PSN. I think it may have to do with the fact that just more people have xbox's than PS3's, so you get a much wider sampling of the scum of the earth.
Thanks for the info, hopefully VOOT won't be too bad.
Testament/Seven7 wrote:I hope a system is implimented where an intentional D/C will result in an auto-loss...that whould be awsome...
There should be this or at least something that discourages disconnecting. Maybe the stats should be like, wins, losses, draws, and disconnects.
MentholMoose
RVR - 42
Virtual-On Positive

Post by RVR - 42 »

Indeed, Frosty...there isn't really much of a difference. But I know for me, especially alot of my friends are still new to SF...so when we play on IV...of course im playing to win, but i'll do moves and techniques that I know a higher skilled person would immediately counter...or punish. But my friends don't know how to do that...so I guess by playing for fun...I mean, not as hardcore and ruthless as you would against the bigwig champs, you know? But yea...the distinction is far and few.
"Nuh uh uh"
Frostycyke

Post by Frostycyke »

I totally understand that RVR, and it's what Menthol spoke on, playing to not win by practicing tactics and tricks. I've heard it called a living dummy. You know like in training mode, but vs an opponent that you can easily beat so you practice using the tactic/combo against a real player. You don't really care if you win, you're just trying to get the hang of a certain thing in a real match.

Also, if you are trying to win, and you know the tactic you are using is not safe or easily punishable, yet the opponent can't punish, then by all means keep doing it. It's not on you to stop doing punishable tactics, it's on your opponent to make you stop. And until they do, keep doing it.

Xbox GT- Frostycyke
MentholMoose
Virtual-On Positive

Post by MentholMoose »

Here's an interesting bit of info from today's official site update. The round and timer settings for ranked matches cannot be changed. Presumably it's fixed to the tournament standard of 80 seconds per round and best 2 out of 3 rounds per match.

For standard non-ranked matches ("player matches"), you can change both settings. I was wondering how they would handle this, so my concern is partially resolved, but I'm still wondering how it will work for player matches (I don't really want to see arguments over the settings in the lobbies or something).
MentholMoose
RVR - 42
Virtual-On Positive

Post by RVR - 42 »

Haha, living dummy...that's it exactly, Frosty. And yea it seems lots of online fighting games don't allow you to change/are restricting you to how much you can change certain settings. I mean it's nothing all that big to get used to, you know? It sets a standard, which is pretty cool.
"Nuh uh uh"
Testament/Seven7
Virtual-On Positive

Hmm, I can see good things about the tournamant settings and such...

Wait, does that mean official tournaments? hope so...

As far as regular matches go, i'd assume it's left to whomever is hosting the match...you'll probrably be able to check match conditions before joining.

MentholMoose
Virtual-On Positive

Post by MentholMoose »

Testament/Seven7 wrote:Hmm, I can see good things about the tournamant settings and such...

I was just referring to the standard settings used by Japanese VOOT tournaments, official or otherwise, not some tournament mode of the Xbox 360 version. Basically. the "standard" 80 seconds and 2/3 round configuration is required for ranked matches. I think it's reasonable to say that there will be official Xbox 360 VOOT tournaments, though.
Testament/Seven7 wrote:Hmm, I can see good things about the tournamant settings and such...

As far as regular matches go, i'd assume it's left to whomever is hosting the match...you'll probrably be able to check match conditions before joining.
Makes sense.
MentholMoose
RVR - 42
Virtual-On Positive

Post by RVR - 42 »

Yea that's how SFIV is. In friendly matches the host sets up stuff and the joining party can view the match settings beforehand. As for XBLA tourneys...i'm jealous! ;_;
"Nuh uh uh"
Tain

Post by Tain »

I'm all for winning by time out. Playing to win mindset and all that.
I play SF4 on both PS3 and 360 and I do encounter (damn, there is counter, again) more DC's, and hatemail, on Xbox live as oppossed to PSN.
I've already had "cheap" shouted at me when I repeatedly surfboarded some genius Ajim player. Shortest match ever.
RVR - 42
Virtual-On Positive

Post by RVR - 42 »

Tain wrote:I'm all for winning by time out. Playing to win mindset and all that.
I play SF4 on both PS3 and 360 and I do encounter (damn, there is counter, again) more DC's, and hatemail, on Xbox live as oppossed to PSN.
I've already had "cheap" shouted at me when I repeatedly surfboarded some genius Ajim player. Shortest match ever.
XD! That's classic. Oh and welcome to the "boards" Tain. :P
"Nuh uh uh"
neoKEN
Virtual-On Positive
Gamertag: neoKEN360

Post by neoKEN »

MentholMoose wrote:
Testament/Seven7 wrote:I dunno if cheating devices will work in XBLA, I also question the sanity of rapid fire (i doubt it would help much, i'd probrably hurt you more).
I can't think of anything in VOOT that would benefit from a rapid fire controller. Some things require rapid button presses, but typically (maybe always) in conjunction with some other input.
Testament/Seven7 wrote:I suspect there will be 2 intentional disconnects for every 10 games, roughly.
I've never played any Xbox Live versus game, is that 20% disconnect rate typical?
So far I'm around 60+ ladder games, no disconnect yet :) /fingers crossed
VR: Bal-bados, Angelan, ALL.
See you on IRC! Server: EFNET Channel: #VIRTUALON
Virtual-On Videos from Japan, NA, & EU http://www.youtube.com/xneoken
MURPH

Post by MURPH »

Honestly, theres not really any insentive to drop in this game. Your rank still goes up (slightly) just for finishing the rounds. Plus if you stop long enough to even attempt it, you'll probably get fragged.