New to the game

Discuss the Virtual-On series.
supreme jd

New to the game

Post by supreme jd »

hey all, i just started playing VO on live today. i'm a big fan of mechs, so i really had to get this game. the bad thing is, i have no idea what i'm doing. i've been playing the game with the standard controls and using temjin and raiden. i've played about 20-30 games and i've only won about a couple of them. is there a guide for newbies around? i'd really like to get into this game, i have a blast when i'm playing.
MentholMoose
Virtual-On Positive
Gamertag: MentholMoose
PSN: MentholMoose_

Re: New to the game

Post by MentholMoose »

commonlogik on the forum is actually working on such a guide now, and hopefully it will be done soon. That doesn't help you now, though. So, have you tried going through the training mode tutorial?

Also, you can check out some of the FAQs on GameFAQs, they might have something useful:
http://www.gamefaqs.com/console/dreamca ... 56512.html

This game definitely has a steeper learning curve than many games, so it will take some time to get into it. If you have any specific questions, don't hesitate to ask!
MentholMoose
Rav3nlock

Post by Rav3nlock »

Here's a quick crash-course!

There's a lot of variations on the attacks: standing, dashing (forward, diagonal forward, side, diagonal back, back), jumping, jump-dashing, and then turbo variants that use either left, right, or both turbos--taking a VR into the practice mode to see what attacks do what is the best option, weapon-wise.

Also of note in this crash-course is cancelling and quick-stepping. With cancelling, for example, you can quickly land from a jump by hitting whatever is the crouch button on the standard mapping, which allows you to easily keep track of your opponent, or cancel a dash by hitting the dash button again. A quick-step, when you're in close combat, allows you to sidestep your opponent and usually move behind them or to their side, if you hit a turbo button while standing and then immediately push a direction. This one requires some practices for sure, and is tricky enough on a standing opponent...

You're not alone on the online front. I'd been playing in this series for a while and my online start was dismal, at best. Playing against humans is a whole other ballgame than tackling arcade mode or score attack, and can be incredibly challenging.

Anyways, I'm constructing a detailed guide of Raiden's moveset, including recharge times and percentage damage against a Temjin for reference. Hopefully that'll be useful to some when I've finished it who would like a reference that shows all the important numbers.
commonlogik

Post by commonlogik »

I'll actually have the revised version done by the weekend - it's a way too lengthy and - as Menthol stated to me - "verbose" currently, so I'm pairing it down to the essentials, adding tidbits as well.

However, if you like supreme dj, the original and OLD version of this Beginner's Guide actually exist online here:

http://www.geocities.com/pigstacker/voot/st-content.htm

Bear in mind, it's based off the Dreamcast version of VOOT, but much of the information still applies to VOOT ver. 5.66.
"My style? You can call it the... the art of fighting without fighting." -- Bruce Lee, Enter The Dragon
Knoxximus
Virtual-On Positive

Post by Knoxximus »

supreme jd wrote:hey all, i just started playing VO on live today. i'm a big fan of mechs, so i really had to get this game. the bad thing is, i have no idea what i'm doing. i've been playing the game with the standard controls and using temjin and raiden. i've played about 20-30 games and i've only won about a couple of them. is there a guide for newbies around? i'd really like to get into this game, i have a blast when i'm playing.
Welcome aboard! :D

But yeah, VOOT is NO JOKE. For the uninitiated it can be quite daunting. I remember the 1st match I played against a USA player on launch night (was that you? :lol: ). It looked like he was sightseeing! :lol:

Go through the tutorials and play practice mode A LOT. Only way to improve. Also, start off with Raiden or Grys-Vok...heavy mechs with heavy firepower. Once you get the hang of the controls better, then give everyone a try to see which mechs style fits you best.

Good luck and happy piloting! 8-)
Sergeant Knoxximus, Pilot #24 reporting for duty SIR!!
somepunk
Virtual-On Positive

Post by somepunk »

If you get exposed to Voom or Voot (especially Voot) with no one but the AI to play with, unless you fall in love with the game, most people fail to recognize it's true complexity, it's good the you can already recognize the depth that is present in this awesome game, even with some merciless beatings online!

You'll do fine, I'll be on today if you want some practice, looks like I got a lot of new tags to add!
Masters is in my last name, so you know I'm good! - Ken Masters
Zaarock
Virtual-On Positive
Gamertag: Zaarock
PSN: xaerock

Post by Zaarock »

I just started playing virtual on at the VO:OT XBLA launch as well, my GT is Zaarock. I only use Cypher ;)
I also play Senko no Ronde(american port is called Wartech) which has some similar features, its like 2D virtual on with shmup attack patterns and such.

Also, I noticed a pretty annoying bug in the XBLA port, if you choose "fight again" in player matches, only the first match will have a viewable/saveable replay.
VOOT 2019 guide | VO4 Guide | 2009-generation
Testament/Seven7
Virtual-On Positive

Post by Testament/Seven7 »

Zaarock wrote:
Also, I noticed a pretty annoying bug in the XBLA port, if you choose "fight again" in player matches, only the first match will have a viewable/saveable replay.
Are you sure about that? because i've saved several replays today against a japanese bal player. Dunno if i can view them...I hope so...

*checks*

Nope, I can see them just fine. Dunno what happened to ya though...
Marz First Lt. Testament, Temjin pilot

Xbox live gamertag: Lt Testament
Zaarock
Virtual-On Positive
Gamertag: Zaarock
PSN: xaerock

Post by Zaarock »

Eh, every time I've tried to save the later replays they show the first match. I also checked what happens if you go to observer menu after a later match and try "watch last match", but it gets grayed out.

Just had some great matches with a good angelan player called pinbani, and some bal player whose GT i forgot, would have been nice to see all the matches again. It's also annoying that the replays dont show gamertags at all, which is especially bad for sharing replays online. As a result I tend to put GT+VR in the names to remember the players.
VOOT 2019 guide | VO4 Guide | 2009-generation
Sixfortyfive
Virtual-On Positive

Post by Sixfortyfive »

I've heard there's some bug that causes replays to be written over if they have the same name. Like if you save two replays named TEMJIN vs RAIDEN, then only one of them will actually be saved.
Schooly D
Virtual-On Positive
Gamertag: Schooly D

Post by Schooly D »

My biggest beef with Replays is that there's no way to know what's special about each one. It just gives "A vs. B"

In addition to making viewing my replays difficult, it makes downloading replays from the internet and from friends particularly useless.
Made in Malaysia by Kurt Russell and Goldie Hawn
somepunk
Virtual-On Positive

Post by somepunk »

you have to start labeling your replays with the rename feature immediately, just write what was notable, thats what I do lol.
Masters is in my last name, so you know I'm good! - Ken Masters
MentholMoose
Virtual-On Positive

Post by MentholMoose »

Just try to put a descriptive filename (hard since the filename length is limited) when saving, not much else you can do.

EDIT: What somepunk said. :)
MentholMoose
neoKEN
Virtual-On Positive
Gamertag: neoKEN360

Post by neoKEN »

It doesn't help that the replays doesn't contain the player name. At least it has the mech color. If you see a white Temjin with a little blue, that's me :)
VR: Bal-bados, Angelan, ALL.
See you on IRC! Server: EFNET Channel: #VIRTUALON
Virtual-On Videos from Japan, NA, & EU http://www.youtube.com/xneoken
MentholMoose
Virtual-On Positive

Post by MentholMoose »

I played around with the replay feature today, and it is definitely limiting. No names or icons at all. I uploaded a replay and checked out the replays of some other people. It's a cool feature, but very limited.

The upload replay feature doesn't allow adding any additional information, which is too bad. Also, you can only upload one replay! They should have allowed you to have an online library of replays, considering they are only a few KBytes each. They could even have offered a normal "free" library, with space for a dozen replays or something, and a paid "premium" library with unlimited. Also, there should be a built-in way to send replay files to friends.
MentholMoose
MentholMoose
Virtual-On Positive

Post by MentholMoose »

neoKEN wrote:It doesn't help that the replays doesn't contain the player name. At least it has the mech color. If you see a white Temjin with a little blue, that's me :)
Welcome to the forum!!
MentholMoose