Post your questions here

Discuss the Virtual-On series.
Henshin1

Re: Post your questions here

Post by Henshin1 »

wow thanks for the info Menthol,

With the jumping out of knockdown method, when do you have to input the jump command to make this work?
And with the quickstep cancelling, does it have to be a quickstep+attack to do the circle slice move? or just a quickstep?

Thanks again, its appreciated :D

EDIT: Oh, reading your post again has sorta raised some other questions ^^;;
MentholMoose wrote:My standard CC ground hit with Grys-Vok is a RTRW, guard-cancelled at the moment the hit registers, then immediately q-step diagonally backwards.
Does this mean you can pull the sticks inwards to cancel a CC attack and still remain in the same position where you are standing? And can you actually q-step backwards? I was under the impression you could only q-step around your opponent either left or right.
(sorry about the newbie questions)
MentholMoose
Virtual-On Positive
Gamertag: MentholMoose
PSN: MentholMoose_

Post by MentholMoose »

Henshin1 wrote:With the jumping out of knockdown method, when do you have to input the jump command to make this work?
You input it slightly before when you would normally start standing up. You can also just mash the button until the VR jumps. :)
Henshin1 wrote:And with the quickstep cancelling, does it have to be a quickstep+attack to do the circle slice move? or just a quickstep?
For the shinkuu ground hit, just use a regular q-step, with the timing specified in my previous post.
Henshin1 wrote:Does this mean you can pull the sticks inwards to cancel a CC attack and still remain in the same position where you are standing?
Yes, the VR will stop the CC attack and guard. You can also cancel q-steps and q-step attacks with guard. This is a fundamental aspect of CC.
Henshin1 wrote:And can you actually q-step backwards? I was under the impression you could only q-step around your opponent either left or right.
You can q-step in any direction. Q-step attacks are only possible left or right, though.
MentholMoose
Henshin1

Post by Henshin1 »

Woo! Thanks for all the info MM :)
MentholMoose wrote:You can q-step in any direction. Q-step attacks are only possible left or right, though.
So how would you q-step backwards? is it just press turbo and pull the thumbstick back and left/right?
MentholMoose
Virtual-On Positive

Post by MentholMoose »

Henshin1 wrote:Woo! Thanks for all the info MM :)
MentholMoose wrote:You can q-step in any direction. Q-step attacks are only possible left or right, though.
So how would you q-step backwards? is it just press turbo and pull the thumbstick back and left/right?
Yes, exactly. The input for a q-step is the same for any direction.
MentholMoose
Henshin1

Post by Henshin1 »

Woah it works :P

I didn't know you could take a quick step back and forward aswell. I suppose it's good for stepping out of CC range for a counter or something?

Oh by the way. Does anybody have any tips for beating a Cypher player? I think he is the VR I have the most trouble against. Cypher seems to have awesome manuverability in the air and great attacks too. I played against a Cypher last night and I couldn't win a single game. Many times i lost due to being hit within the last 3 seconds. From what I was trying to observe, I think a Cyphers most vunerable time is when they're landing from after an air attack. But it's manuverability is far too good so it's hard to pinpoint where it's going to land. Not to mention it's hard to determine for youself since it jumps so high and you can't see the ground. It also seems to be able to cover its landing with a huge laser beam attack.
I couldn't quite figure out what I was doing wrong as an Angelan player vsing a Cypher. But if anyone has any tips it would be appreciated. For now it seems I can't take down a single Cypher. I also have lots of trouble with Raidens and their huge damage output compared to Angelans low armour. But I can win some Raiden matches, and vsing a Cypher is just watching me getting slaughtered :P
Davo87
Virtual-On Positive

Post by Davo87 »

Need to be specific on what you are getting hit by, and how that cypher is playing. I shouldnt speak for Angelan as what I post here is the least good on paper, tho players who have better ideas postup!

For medium to slow mechs, versus Cypher at longrange is entitled to eat RTCW and RTLW if evading late. Angelan's speed is kinda average air or ground so where necessary side jump against daggers. Iceshield where necessary as aside from Cypher's RTCW nothing can destroy ur iceshield iirc. Take care and watch the distance meter when behind ur icemirror.

Take care with ur Iceshield as Cypher has many ways to negate its defense: crRTCW goes in a straight line, explodes on impact, destroys shield and you from any range. His LTCW 4way laser can go around your mirror. He can fly over you very easily.

Its when Cypher goes directly on top of you which is the problem. If you know a Cypher tries to fly over your mirror get some icepillar or giant icepillar out. Or offshoot RT icepillars, icebeams when he tries to fly around you. Angelan can shield herself within a controlled distance while Cypher has to fly around to deal damage. Dragon breathes should hurt him when timed right, tho they'll watch for when u summon ur dragon. Double dragons force anyone to run like mad so use them well as ur offense but take care as they know you have no CW gauge for icemirrors. Each time you release a dragon, the Cypher player has to focus on run, thats when you watch ur spacing and time the nxt move. Icepillars actually catch those that land from air pretty well. Snowflakes is another good source of distraction bcos it covers wide and cancellable, tho beware his daggers hurt more so its not worth to trade. Bcos Cypher's attacks are generally faster and Angelan is slow, her defense is crucial to setup dragons safely.

Other Angelan users may argue, that iceshield is useless as Cypher can run around with ease and waste ur CW gauge. well, true its better if you can dodge everything and use CW gauge for dragons instead. Icemirrors are good if the Cypher player is willing to trade hits against you when he think it should hit.
Henshin1

Post by Henshin1 »

Thanks for the help davo. I appreciate it.
It makes sense what you're saying, although I think as far as 'spacing' goes, I'm not an experienced enough player to understand how spacing works in voot. I get the idea of being at a certain distance to be able to hit without being hit. But in voot i'd have no idea how to implement it.
It also seems like every time i stop for a second to throw snowflakes or summon the 2 dragons, that's the moment I get hit the most. I always try to be in a safe position when i do them but somehow I still take damage during that short period of time. I think the attack I hate most when summoning the dragons is that blue projectile Cypher has that lobs over structures and is very fast and explodes on impact. Sometimes I see it coming a mile away and I dash to avoid the explosion but I still get caught in it. But if i'm summoning I have no hope of dodging it =P
ranmafan

Post by ranmafan »

Angelan hm? I'm no Angelan user but here are my observations from watching a friend play:

1. Always be on the move. I don't know how much you're moving but keep moving. If you're summoning dragons, do a moving-crouch version (not necessarily dash. Angelan 'slides' along while doing this while moving normally)

2. Jumping forward-dash LW is your best friend. At around range 300-350, if a Cypher has committed to a dash attack, do the aforementioned attack. The ice pillar is almost guaranteed insta-hit, plus it has practically unlimited vertical range.

3. Cancel cancel cancel. Angelan's LT+LW and LT+RW have stupidly high cancel abilities. If the Cypher uses non-CW attacks, you can pretty much cancel everything up to and including his RT+RW (you need a LT+RW though, but I don't recommend standing in front of it to begin with).

4. RT+LW. If you're behind cover, toss one out. Try to make sure it materializes on empty space though. It will ignore almost all obstacles (so long as it manages to materialize), and Cypher doesn't have anything except his RT+CW that can cancel it, it does good damage and has high homing abilities.

5. Harass with CW. No need to launch RT+CW unless you've mastered the art of using the RT+RW freeze attack (Crouching if the Cypher commits to a jumping attack, jump RT+RW if he commits to a dashing attack, remember you can Turbo-rotate in the air just before the freeze-dragon comes out).

6. Alternate your ranges. Unless you're punishing him with a LW for missing an attack, Cypher's beam weapons bounce off Angelan at range 500+. He'll be forced to come nearer if you play defensively, and you can spam him with attacks from a distance. Alternatively you can LT+LW -> LT+RW him at point blank if he misses a jumping attack.
Henshin1

Post by Henshin1 »

Thanks ranmafan,

I'll try all that :D
ThomasMak0524

Post by ThomasMak0524 »

How do you move right after CrRTLW and CrRTRW using specineff? I saw players do that but i can't figure it out.
MentholMoose
Virtual-On Positive

Post by MentholMoose »

ThomasMak0524 wrote:How do you move right after CrRTLW and CrRTRW using specineff? I saw players do that but i can't figure it out.
The technique to use is called the "super jump". You can find info on it in this thread:
advanced techniques
MentholMoose
DeltastrikeX

Post by DeltastrikeX »

Hi everybody. This is my first post here. I've been playing this VOOT for a long time (back when I was 13 I believe). Anyway, I was always curious about something as balbados.

http://www.oratan.com/videos/oob1-c_room_dna_kowareya/ in this video found in the videos section, at exactly 0:24 how does bal fire both his right E.M.T parts at the same time and get them to attack with what "seems" like a faster laser.

I also noticed he did Bals reflect laser without all of his E.M.Ts out. How was that performed?

Thanks in advance guys.
cleaning old internet history as malicious people are using it to track me down. Doubt anybody is reading this anyway. Was fun playing with you all!
Flyer

Post by Flyer »

Single Reflect Laser (faster, less damaging)
1. jLTRW
2. Release any thigh ERL with any method
3. With the RH ERL in Beam mode, jRTRW

Double Reflect Laser (slower, more damaging)
1. jLTRW
2. Release LH ERL
3. Release any thigh ERL
4. With RH ERL in beam mode, jRTRW

With either version, you can substitute the RH ERL with the LH ERL, as long as the hand ERL is released with a jLT and is in beam mode. You should be able to chain them together to fire off three to five sets of reflect lasers...
DeltastrikeX

Post by DeltastrikeX »

Flyer wrote:Single Reflect Laser (faster, less damaging)
1. jLTRW
2. Release any thigh ERL with any method
3. With the RH ERL in Beam mode, jRTRW

Double Reflect Laser (slower, more damaging)
1. jLTRW
2. Release LH ERL
3. Release any thigh ERL
4. With RH ERL in beam mode, jRTRW

With either version, you can substitute the RH ERL with the LH ERL, as long as the hand ERL is released with a jLT and is in beam mode. You should be able to chain them together to fire off three to five sets of reflect lasers...
Thanks, but can you put it in the format of Xbox buttons. I don't get all the fancy "jLTRW" commands yet :(
cleaning old internet history as malicious people are using it to track me down. Doubt anybody is reading this anyway. Was fun playing with you all!
Schooly D
Virtual-On Positive
Gamertag: Schooly D

Post by Schooly D »

jLTRW

j = Jumping, an attack done while in mid-air during a jump (not an air-dash)
LT = Left Turbo, an attack modified with the Left Turbo button (standard control layout: X button)
RW = Right Weapon, the VR's right... weapon (standard control layout: Right Trigger)

So, jLTRW refers to a Right Weapon attack, modified with the Left Turbo button, done while in a jump.

(Welcome, BTW. Glad to see you made it! :mrgreen:)
Made in Malaysia by Kurt Russell and Goldie Hawn
DeltastrikeX

Post by DeltastrikeX »

Ok flyer and schooly, thank you guys very much. You taught me a trick with Bal I never knew existed these many years. Usually what I do with him is

Send a jumping right arm erl idle in the air, switch it to bomb mode. then find cover and fire as many minds as I can. then while those are flying, I ground dash and do both triggers + A (causing bal to do the little slide detaching his theigh erls for rings and bombs, and finally i hold left trigger for more minds.

basically crap is flying everywhere. Most ppl can't deal with it.
DeltastrikeX

Post by DeltastrikeX »

also how do you get both of bal's right emt's to go out at once.
JohnxII

Post by JohnxII »

DeltastrikeX wrote:also how do you get both of bal's right emt's to go out at once.
I haven't looked in the video, but I guess you're referring to RTCW(R).

That is, Right Turbo Center Weapon, half cancel the left by releasing left trigger and keep holding right trigger. Very important quick start to reflect lasers and oni mines.
-Johnson
OIIIOIOIIOIOOOIIIOIOIIOIOO
IOOIOIOIOIOIIIOOIOIOIOIOII
"Creativity keeps the world turning" -DNA VR Corps.
DeltastrikeX

Post by DeltastrikeX »

JohnxII wrote:
DeltastrikeX wrote:also how do you get both of bal's right emt's to go out at once.
I haven't looked in the video, but I guess you're referring to RTCW(R).

That is, Right Turbo Center Weapon, half cancel the left by releasing left trigger and keep holding right trigger. Very important quick start to reflect lasers and oni mines.
After some experimenting. I figured that one out. I was afraid that was the command. that was tough for me.

edit ok. i can only fire the right EMT's where it shoots a concentrated beam. I saw the guy in the video fire the EMTs and make them idle in the air. what is the command for that?
Graalof1ce
Gamertag: Skydriverice

Post by Graalof1ce »

Hey there. To get my Virtual on (hehe), I play the Dreamcast version of VOOT, since I don't own a 360. I've heard a couple complaints about the 360 version and the quick steps being harder to execute. Is that right?

Also, I hear you need a demo disk of some sort to upgrade to 5.6 in the DC version. Which disk do I need exactly? And while we're on the subject of the disk, what changes occur and can 5.6 be taken out once installed, such as being deleted from the memory card?