Post your questions here

Discuss the Virtual-On series.
Schooly D
Virtual-On Positive
Gamertag: Schooly D

Re: Post your questions here

Post by Schooly D »

The two main ways I use cLTLW (since I do use AphS and AphB) are:

(1) In CC range, to knock the enemy back before canceling into a QS attack or some other CC attack
(2) While up against an obstacle, cycling it a few times can create an explosion-shield of a good duration to cancel enemy projectiles
Made in Malaysia by Kurt Russell and Goldie Hawn
Davo87
Virtual-On Positive

Post by Davo87 »

Ok, I got a problem here.

My rank/player match lobbies wont refresh itself even after I exit the game and comeback in. Its the same list of players at the same order. And I cant join any of the games obviously. With a lot of red slashes on the connection icon.

However I can still accept challenges from other players.

Anyone with the same problem? I redownloaded VOOT, deleted system data and still no luck. Its depressing when ppl who wants to play cant. :(

Dont see a poiint in deleting my replays and saves aswell. :/
Davo87
Virtual-On Positive

Post by Davo87 »

And now I see 3 okamochibox in my lobby. Everyone of them are outdated. o_O

Seems like thats the end of Rank play for me except for invited sessions.
MentholMoose
Virtual-On Positive
Gamertag: MentholMoose
PSN: MentholMoose_

Post by MentholMoose »

Davo87 wrote:And now I see 3 okamochibox in my lobby. Everyone of them are outdated. o_O

Seems like thats the end of Rank play for me except for invited sessions.
That's horrible. Someone was saying in another thread they were having problems connecting, so maybe it's just a temporary problem with Xbox Live. Does Microsoft provide any tech support for Xbox Live? I would hope so considering we are paying for it.
MentholMoose
jamtero

Post by jamtero »

Hello everyone,

I wanted to ask an opinion of the xbox live scene for VOOT. I have miraculously acquired some twin sticks and ready to get into it again after a long hiatus and I might have to get a 360. Is there a big community of players? Are you able to jump into games easily and is it a quality experience online? Got the vga dreamcast hooked up to the 50" presently and tired of AI.
shamanic_beat
Virtual-On Positive

Post by shamanic_beat »

The community is alive and well. You'll have no trouble finding Japanese Players, as well as English speaking players you can find here.

Jumping into online play is really easy. Online play is available "right out of the box". The net code is excellent so you won't have much problem with lags even when playing against people overseas.

If you are getting it, be sure grab it before the Deal of the Week discount expires.

You might also wanna check out the Twinstick mod guides here so you can hook them up to the 360.
Schooly D
Virtual-On Positive

Post by Schooly D »

Generally speaking, you're not going to find many non-Japanese players in the Player/Ranked lobbies. If you're in the lobbies in the evenings, you'll find a few Japanese players roaming around. If you're in the lobbies in the mornings you'll find more Japanese players than you'll know what to do with.

The International scene was kind of dead for a while, but it's been more active lately. Our weekly VOOT Nightz (Wednesday nights) attract a lot of American and Canadian players, weekend nights generally see a lot of action, and with the XBLA price drop there has been a good infusion of new blood. The trick will be to get these newcomers to stick around.
jamtero

Post by jamtero »

360 is in the mail. Fredo's mod seems pretty user friendly and doable. Hope I don't screw up those babies. Ive been waiting for this ideal setup for almost a decade.
Davo87
Virtual-On Positive

Post by Davo87 »

There's still plenty of players. Most of the Japanese I bump r there around 7pm-3am Eastern time.

Xboxlive Ranking is back for me. Everything went fine and I got crushed by Dordrays last night. Any CC attempt turns into jump CW rush in the face. They wait for me to do my d/f cCW and they double jump it and I eat Drill Rush. If I try to be aggressive with Specineff at the start and they guess right, I eat heavy punishing. For some reason, against better players, its so easy to get caught by claws and even drills. -_-III
Razgriz450

Post by Razgriz450 »

I have heard that Schooly D made a Cypher training video and i was wondering how to get my hands on that...

Thanks in advance.
This sig and avatar are temorary.
oldboy

Post by oldboy »

Is there any good info for Angelan on the boards? Stuff about her play style, specific move properties, match ups, etc. Search function was no help.
MasterFygar
Virtual-On Positive
Gamertag: MasterFygar

Post by MasterFygar »

oldboy wrote:Is there any good info for Angelan on the boards? Stuff about her play style, specific move properties, match ups, etc. Search function was no help.
I'll double this question and raise you one "how do I summon double ice dragons?"
ImageImage
MentholMoose
Virtual-On Positive
Gamertag: MentholMoose
PSN: MentholMoose_

Post by MentholMoose »

MasterFygar wrote:
oldboy wrote:Is there any good info for Angelan on the boards? Stuff about her play style, specific move properties, match ups, etc. Search function was no help.
I'll double this question and raise you one "how do I summon double ice dragons?"
RTCW, jRTCW (jump+RTCW), or cRTCW (crouch+RTCW).
MentholMoose
MasterFygar
Virtual-On Positive

Post by MasterFygar »

MentholMoose wrote:
MasterFygar wrote:
RTCW, jRTCW (jump+RTCW), or cRTCW (crouch+RTCW).
Thanks dude :mrgreen:
ImageImage
Schooly D
Virtual-On Positive

Post by Schooly D »

Razgriz450 wrote:I have heard that Schooly D made a Cypher training video and i was wondering how to get my hands on that...
I haven't even made a guide, much less a video.

BUT, I'd be more than happy to answer any of your Cypher-related questions. Or really just any questions in general.
Fei Yuki

Post by Fei Yuki »

Generally, Angelan can play a sort of "hyper bombardment" style (which is more suited to the 5.2 version IMO) but I would really classify her as a "counter attack" sort of VR. Her weapons are excellent for harrassing and forcing the opponent to commit a mistake and punishing it with pillars and dragons. Most of her weaponry range strip V-Armour like no tomorrow. If you're good with her laser, you can even do a "predict laser" and watch the opponent run into it.

Gameplay-wise, ground type Angelans are rare. Most of them tend to stay in the air and whomp you with double dragons and advanced pillars (RTLW). I find that a hyper bombardment strategy helps in this sort of "cheap" players, although depending on how well versed the other player is, you can swap with a counter-attack strategy as well.

For these sort of players, I tend to stick close to them. Use dragons when they go into the air (I generally favour a mix of normal and crouch versions) and launch crouch advanced pillars to catch them when they land. If your timing is good, you can try to catch them when they land with a crouch LW. LW is your best friend, as well as your sense of timing. I usually find dashing crouch LW to be really useful but again, timing is important. Generally speaking, a pure air to air combat is difficult to win, most of your hits will count when the other opponent is grounded.

Defensive measures for yourself: You'll generally want to keep the CC types away and always be on the move. Dashing and dash cancelling is Angelan's biggest best friend. Learn to keep yourself on the move. LTLW your opponents when they try to run in for a CC or even throw a shield (LTCW), which will gurantee a knockdown if they run into it. If you're brave, you can crouch CW and dash backwards to lure your opponent in or jump immediately after that. Crouch CW is a very good counterattack against opponents who have initiated CC against you, since it gives u a nice area of defense and (you pray) the opponent reacts too late to stop. Dragons are very very very good as a harrassement tool. You can keep your opponent busy while you fling all sorts of ... stuffs at him. If you go into the air, launching a dragon will keep the opponent (somewhat) from trying to CC you as you land. Watch out for the pro dashing CC-ers tho. I generally dislike the use of double dragons, since that extra 20% guage can be used to fire another normal dragon in the time it takes for CW guage to recharge to 60%, but it's a matter of personal choices.

The one thing I realise that most people fall for is a LW. This is especially useful when you're flying overhead an opponent, hopefully with a dragon already launched. Catch the VR in his dash stop delay with an overhead LW. If you find yourself against an Angelan who likes to do this a lot, try to keep very close to them. There's a brief margin of time where the pillar takes to form that you can utilise to dash very quickly under them. Obviously, try not to do this in a straight beeline just in case.

More when I have the time ^^
MasterFygar
Virtual-On Positive

Post by MasterFygar »

Schooly D wrote:
Razgriz450 wrote:I have heard that Schooly D made a Cypher training video and i was wondering how to get my hands on that...

BUT, I'd be more than happy to answer any of your Cypher-related questions. Or really just any questions in general.
Sorry Schooly, someone else said you had made a training vid so I told him. My bad xD

And Fei Yuki, thanks for that info, that'll help immensely.
ImageImage
Razgriz450

Post by Razgriz450 »

Schooly D wrote:

I think just need to know how to better use him and what and what not to do. How to make use of his speed and not take hits... Which weapons to use and possibly match ups. Stuff like that...
This sig and avatar are temorary.
Schooly D
Virtual-On Positive

Post by Schooly D »

Razgriz450 wrote:
Schooly D wrote:

I think just need to know how to better use him and what and what not to do. How to make use of his speed and not take hits... Which weapons to use and possibly match ups. Stuff like that...
That's quite a lot to talk about. Because I don't feel like writing several pages, I'll just rattle off some basics:

- If you have the lead, run away. Against someone like Temjin who can deal 55% damage with just one fwd-RW shot (and Temjin's gauge lets him fire those shots constantly all day), staying close and brawling is like sticking your head in an alligator's mouth.

- If the enemy gets too close to you, run away with a forward air dash attack. Whether you fire one or two weapons, end it with the CW so you can maintain your speed while firing (air-fwd-RW and LW slow you down)

- If the enemy figures out that you're air dashing away when he gets close (they will if they have any brain activity going on) start faking an air dash by jumping high up then cancelling down. Once on the ground you can attack or jump back up. Keep doing this until you've got them confused enough to actually air dash away

- If you need a hit, get in close (about 200m) and use your LW. Most enemies will avoid your daggers by jump-canceling over them, which leaves them vulnerable. LW -> fwd-cCW is a good but risky combo for trapping someone who jumps over your LW. The good players will know that you're launching daggers at this range and will position themselves in the wide gaps of your dagger spread, here:
1 [] 2 3 4 [] 5
You can try to hit them by mixing your LW with cLW which has a bit wider spread.

- If the enemy is beyond 400m, RTCW. Get them to dodge some daggers first if you want.

- Do not let the enemy get the lead. If he does, you're screwed. Cypher's anti-chicken game is horrible.
Zaarock
Virtual-On Positive
Gamertag: Zaarock
PSN: xaerock

Post by Zaarock »

Schooly D wrote:- If the enemy gets too close to you, run away with a forward air dash attack. Whether you fire one or two weapons, end it with the CW so you can maintain your speed while firing (air-fwd-RW and LW slow you down)
Heh, A lot of times when CW boosting I've noticed that Temjins fwd dash RW seems to home better (probably just faster) than cyphers CW. If you CW boost directly away from a RW shot you might be screwed because you move in a straight line for a bit.

LTLW is also useful when you need to mix up the dagger attacks as the daggers come out and move really fast.

Also, Ryzgriz: You play surprisingly well on the ground already, but at least "fake" air dashes are necessary to make dodging stuff easier. Cyphers air dash is way faster than ground dash. Air dash attacking is one of cyphers main strong points and fwd air dash CW is easy to get damage with so you should try those out.
VOOT 2019 guide | VO4 Guide | 2009-generation