Post your questions here

Discuss the Virtual-On series.
MentholMoose
Virtual-On Positive
Gamertag: MentholMoose
PSN: MentholMoose_

Re: Post your questions here

Post by MentholMoose »

DeltastrikeX wrote:http://www.oratan.com/videos/oob1-c_room_dna_kowareya/ in this video found in the videos section, at exactly 0:24 how does bal fire both his right E.M.T parts at the same time and get them to attack with what "seems" like a faster laser.
It is a sideways air-dash CW(R)... that is, CW half-cancelled with the right trigger.
Graalof1ce wrote:I've heard a couple complaints about the 360 version and the quick steps being harder to execute. Is that right?
It's harder due to issues with the Xbox 360 controller. See this thread for some discussion of the issue:
Q-Steps on 360
Graalof1ce wrote:Also, I hear you need a demo disk of some sort to upgrade to 5.6 in the DC version. Which disk do I need exactly? And while we're on the subject of the disk, what changes occur and can 5.6 be taken out once installed, such as being deleted from the memory card?
There is no "upgrade" disc. The disc commonly mistaken as some sort of upgrade disc is the VR Customize Disc, which was only meant for using the customizations available in arcade VOOT VER.5.66. The disc includes a VR color palette editor, icon editor, and quick message editor. It was actually included on a demo disc with a Japanese magazine, and subsequently released as an unofficial standalone "self-boot" disc.

The editing features on the VR Customize Disc don't have a test mode like in the Japanese DC VOOT VER.5.45, but there is a tool available that (among other things) unlocks the test mode, called "cust-plus". The test mode is buggy and incomplete, but you can check out the new VRs and some of their functionality. The VR Customize Disc and the cust-plus tool are detailed in threads in the Videos, Replays, Memorabilia sub-forum.
MentholMoose
guarayakha
Virtual-On Positive

Post by guarayakha »

So like, I've decided to give the online battle a testdrive, one in ranked and one in player, and won both of them, but I kinda had this feeling of guilt because I do not know if my victory was due to the occassionally bad connection that i might have :|

So any ideas on how the online battles actually work, as in who's hosting the game, game speed, lag issues? I do notice a slight delay between button presses & on screen action, though it's not as bad as those you'd find in Soul Calibur 4 :lol:
Sixfortyfive
Virtual-On Positive

Post by Sixfortyfive »

I imagine that there's no "host" per se, but that it functions somewhat like GGPO/2DF. Both players should experience the same amount of lag, and much of it is hidden in certain kinds of frames and cut down by not requiring that the data make a round trip. That's all speculation, though. I do think, however, that the game can be knocked out of sync. Every once in a while (maybe once per 100 matches) my opponent will just fly around and shoot aimlessly with seemingly no regard for what I'm doing, and I'm pretty sure he's not doing that on purpose. It's just that what he sees on his game is not at all what I see.

Also, the whole argument about quickstep attacks really burns me. The game doesn't seem to have changed at all in that regard; it's just the controller that changed. But since Ollie is so invested in playing this game a specific way, he has to rant when it doesn't quite work the same on a 360 pad, and it ends up putting people from other forums off of the game because they think something really basic is broken when it is neither basic nor broken. Even if it hasn't literally cost Sega any sales, it has at least very tangibly discouraged some, and it's just so ridiculous.
DeltastrikeX

Post by DeltastrikeX »

MentholMoose wrote:
DeltastrikeX wrote:http://www.oratan.com/videos/oob1-c_room_dna_kowareya/ in this video found in the videos section, at exactly 0:24 how does bal fire both his right E.M.T parts at the same time and get them to attack with what "seems" like a faster laser.
It is a sideways air-dash CW(R)... that is, CW half-cancelled with the right trigger.

ah ok. I think the only trick I need to know now is how to detach both emt's and make them idle in mid air. I saw the guy do it in the video and it would be way faster then taking them out one at a time.
cleaning old internet history as malicious people are using it to track me down. Doubt anybody is reading this anyway. Was fun playing with you all!
MentholMoose
Virtual-On Positive

Post by MentholMoose »

DeltastrikeX wrote:I think the only trick I need to know now is how to detach both emt's and make them idle in mid air. I saw the guy do it in the video and it would be way faster then taking them out one at a time.
You have to release them one at a time. If you tell me the time in the video I can try to explain what is going on.
MentholMoose
Flyer

Post by Flyer »

jLTLW or LTLW to release the stationary LH ERL
jLTRW or LTRW to release the stationary RH ERL
cLTLW to release the stationary LL ERL
cLTRW to release the stationary RL ERL
DeltastrikeX

Post by DeltastrikeX »

MentholMoose wrote:
DeltastrikeX wrote:I think the only trick I need to know now is how to detach both emt's and make them idle in mid air. I saw the guy do it in the video and it would be way faster then taking them out one at a time.
You have to release them one at a time. If you tell me the time in the video I can try to explain what is going on.
Ok i looked at the video again. It seems i didn't see something. You are right, they have to be released one at a time. Oh well thanks for the help everybody.
cleaning old internet history as malicious people are using it to track me down. Doubt anybody is reading this anyway. Was fun playing with you all!
Purple-Tamjin

Post by Purple-Tamjin »

OK I have a question.. How do you quick step and attack at the same time? I've done it without ever realizing what I'd done and a lot of Tamjins and such do it.
Gamering Taga: KyuAzier
MentholMoose
Virtual-On Positive

Post by MentholMoose »

Purple-Tamjin wrote:OK I have a question.. How do you quick step and attack at the same time? I've done it without ever realizing what I'd done and a lot of Tamjins and such do it.
To do the q-step attack, press LW or RW at the same as you press left or right for the q-step.
MentholMoose
Purple-Tamjin

Post by Purple-Tamjin »

MentholMoose wrote:
Purple-Tamjin wrote:OK I have a question.. How do you quick step and attack at the same time? I've done it without ever realizing what I'd done and a lot of Tamjins and such do it.
To do the q-step attack, press LW or RW at the same as you press left or right for the q-step.
I've been trying that and I swear it's a pain.
MentholMoose
Virtual-On Positive

Post by MentholMoose »

Purple-Tamjin wrote:
MentholMoose wrote:
It will take some practice to get used to it.
MentholMoose
neoKEN
Virtual-On Positive
Gamertag: neoKEN360

Post by neoKEN »

Purple-Tamjin wrote:
MentholMoose wrote:
You might be doing it wrong. Took me forever to figure it out. The command is *HOLD* TURBO then press BOTH a weapon AND a direction. The key is holding down turbo, not tap turbo.

example: hold turbo then, left direction+left weapon.

the input window after the turbo is pretty huge so you have plenty of time adter holding turbo. I mistake I often make is pressing turbo and direction at the same time which result in a dash.
VR: Bal-bados, Angelan, ALL.
See you on IRC! Server: EFNET Channel: #VIRTUALON
Virtual-On Videos from Japan, NA, & EU http://www.youtube.com/xneoken
neoKEN
Virtual-On Positive
Gamertag: neoKEN360

Post by neoKEN »

Against some really good player, when I get on knockdown I do a CC as they are standing in front of me then suddenly they hit me from behind with a q-step. When I try it in training mode or against other people, my q-step cc gets beat because it runs into their wakeup cc. The path of my q-step seems shorter and in the range of their cc. I use bal so it's not like he is lacking in range. How do I do a front q-step cc that beats a wakeup cc on reaction?
VR: Bal-bados, Angelan, ALL.
See you on IRC! Server: EFNET Channel: #VIRTUALON
Virtual-On Videos from Japan, NA, & EU http://www.youtube.com/xneoken
Purple-Tamjin

Post by Purple-Tamjin »

neoKEN wrote:
Purple-Tamjin wrote:
MentholMoose wrote:
You might be doing it wrong. Took me forever to figure it out. The command is *HOLD* TURBO then press BOTH a weapon AND a direction. The key is holding down turbo, not tap turbo.

example: hold turbo then, left direction+left weapon.

the input window after the turbo is pretty huge so you have plenty of time adter holding turbo. I mistake I often make is pressing turbo and direction at the same time which result in a dash.
Ah that's probably it. I just tapped turbo. But when I hold turbo I dash out of the CC. -.-; All such a pain! Much like you so it's hold turbo wait like a millisecond then hit the direction and weapon at the same time?
Knoxximus
Virtual-On Positive

Post by Knoxximus »

I have a question. I was playing a Raiden today, and I swear he was throwing ground firebombs. I seem to only be able to throw the V-Armor weakening blue bombs. How do you do this?
Sergeant Knoxximus, Pilot #24 reporting for duty SIR!!
anikingVOOT
Gamertag: anikingVOOT

Post by anikingVOOT »

Knoxximus wrote:I have a question. I was playing a Raiden today, and I swear he was throwing ground firebombs. I seem to only be able to throw the V-Armor weakening blue bombs. How do you do this?
RTLW or Forward Dash Sliding LW
I will beat ya at all cost!! I love to win and hate to lose :b
VOOT for life.
DeltastrikeX

Post by DeltastrikeX »

Can somebody make a bal-bados tutorial video and put it on youtube? Maybe 5 minutes of Bal's advanced techniques. I realize thats asking alot but I wanna bring my bal-bados game to world levels.

i'm a dedicated player XP
jiakhang

Post by jiakhang »

Testament/Seven7 wrote:
ranmafan wrote: Alternatively, like the Temjin's Surfing Ram, you can attempt to block it. If you see him coming, you can anticipate the double lock on distance and block. It only hits once (Surfing Ram hits twice), then you can punish him with a guard-reversal or jumping CC attack.
I should make 2 other notes as a temjin player...

You can time your jump, or double jump to avoid the surfing ram, temjin won't follow...

Also, temjin is not invincable during the attack, a strong enough attack will knock temjin out of the ram, and temjin's wepons gauges will still be dry...
Temjin's gliding ram attack can be countered by
1) dashing forward, once it pass overhead, fire your favorite weapons to punish him
2) guard, can be done only at the last minute when he enters CC range
3) double jump, can be done only when Temjin starts from a distance
4) shoot him out of it, eh please don't try this.

Needless to day, please use option 1 at all times.
jiakhang

Post by jiakhang »

Davo87 wrote:Need to be specific on what you are getting hit by, and how that cypher is playing. I shouldnt speak for Angelan as what I post here is the least good on paper, tho players who have better ideas postup!

For medium to slow mechs, versus Cypher at longrange is entitled to eat RTCW and RTLW if evading late. Angelan's speed is kinda average air or ground so where necessary side jump against daggers. Iceshield where necessary as aside from Cypher's RTCW nothing can destroy ur iceshield iirc. Take care and watch the distance meter when behind ur icemirror.

Take care with ur Iceshield as Cypher has many ways to negate its defense: crRTCW goes in a straight line, explodes on impact, destroys shield and you from any range. His LTCW 4way laser can go around your mirror. He can fly over you very easily.

Its when Cypher goes directly on top of you which is the problem. If you know a Cypher tries to fly over your mirror get some icepillar or giant icepillar out. Or offshoot RT icepillars, icebeams when he tries to fly around you. Angelan can shield herself within a controlled distance while Cypher has to fly around to deal damage. Dragon breathes should hurt him when timed right, tho they'll watch for when u summon ur dragon. Double dragons force anyone to run like mad so use them well as ur offense but take care as they know you have no CW gauge for icemirrors. Each time you release a dragon, the Cypher player has to focus on run, thats when you watch ur spacing and time the nxt move. Icepillars actually catch those that land from air pretty well. Snowflakes is another good source of distraction bcos it covers wide and cancellable, tho beware his daggers hurt more so its not worth to trade. Bcos Cypher's attacks are generally faster and Angelan is slow, her defense is crucial to setup dragons safely.

Other Angelan users may argue, that iceshield is useless as Cypher can run around with ease and waste ur CW gauge. well, true its better if you can dodge everything and use CW gauge for dragons instead. Icemirrors are good if the Cypher player is willing to trade hits against you when he think it should hit.
For a Cypher player, the key things to take down an Angelan player is to :
1) crouch CW+RT. This move has an insane speed has flies and has good horizontal tracking. Fire one as soon as Angelan is about to touch down from a jump.

2) Double jump, rotate to center Angelan, LW + RT. This can hit very well against Angelan.

3) To counter mirrors, get to CC range, and use Cypher fast sword swings at max range (CC attacks passes through mirror). crouch+RW.

4) To counter double dragons,
4i) If appears right above you, just dash forward to crash it
4ii) Lead it to an obstacle and it will crash into it
4iii) When the dragon comes near, quick double jump (jump, jump instantly), air dash towards direction of incoming dragon, once the dragons goes pass under you, cancel the jump.

Against an experience Angelan player, it's a better of taking minimum damage and doing the 4 steps above right.
jiakhang

Post by jiakhang »

Zaarock wrote:For Cypher, I've found that the SLC attack is actually pretty effective against angelan players, if you can fly well... if you get them by suprise you'll be moving way faster towards them due to the attack while theyre setting up defencive attacks like dragons.
Actually in the end, the SLC has only one use ... a point blank super low SLC during a Cypher CC dance. It like a hax because the opponent has to re-guard to block it. Also if the SLC starts right behind the opponent, it's unblockable. Morever, it's a safe way to run out of a CC battle :P