Post your questions here

Discuss the Virtual-On series.
jiakhang

Re: Post your questions here

Post by jiakhang »

Zaarock wrote:In such slow landing scenarios I tend to try to land my VR in some unexpected place, like on an environment object. It's pretty useful against people sometimes as it messes up their landing catches and also makes you regain your abilities faster.

I have a question about Cyphers RT+CW attack, a guide for cypher on gamefaqs says its hitting rate is random but I dont quite buy that. judging from practice mode it always misses if youre too close, didnt check whether or not very far. Anyone have any experience with using this attack? I was guessing it homes well on a certain radius from yourself.
For slow landing scenarios, there are 2 things you can do
1) hold turbo to rotate your VR
2) press crouch to hasten your descent.
3) pray hard

The trick is that you are not going to hit crouch all the way or right away.

Less say some projectile is flying your way, press crouch all the way to hasten the fall at the last minute will cause the projectile to miss. It screws up the timing and tracking of the projectiles.

If someone is waiting for you to land. Tapping crouch can screw their timings. Combined with rotation in the air, the chance of getting CC upon landing is slim.

BTW, Cypher's CW+RT is fairly useless. The crouch and jump CW+RT is far superior. They actually has their uses,
Schooly D
Virtual-On Positive
Gamertag: Schooly D

Post by Schooly D »

jiakhang wrote:BTW, Cypher's CW+RT is fairly useless. The crouch and jump CW+RT is far superior. They actually has their uses,
Myself and the number of players who have been nailed by a surprise RTCW ("the Gamechanger") beg to differ!
Made in Malaysia by Kurt Russell and Goldie Hawn
anikingVOOT
Gamertag: anikingVOOT

Post by anikingVOOT »

Schooly D wrote:
jiakhang wrote:BTW, Cypher's CW+RT is fairly useless. The crouch and jump CW+RT is far superior. They actually has their uses,
Myself and the number of players who have been nailed by a surprise RTCW ("the Gamechanger") beg to differ!
Yap Schooly, I hate your gamechanger :roll:

In this game, you can not win with one weapon.
You need to know which weapon can cover another weapons weakness.
Standing RTCW, Crouching RTCW and Jumping RTCW... none of them are useless.
I will beat ya at all cost!! I love to win and hate to lose :b
VOOT for life.
Schooly D
Virtual-On Positive

Post by Schooly D »

anikingVOOT wrote:Yap Schooly, I hate your gamechanger :roll:
Let's make a deal. From now on in our matches, the following conditions will apply:

I can no longer use:
- The Gamechanger

You can no longer use:
- Raiden's Laser Cage
- Bal's mines
- Specineff
- Dashing
jiakhang

Post by jiakhang »

Schooly D wrote:
Hmm unless CW+RT has been changed greatly since 5.2, it is fairly useless. I didn't dare to try it in 5.66 because I will eat punishment from the freeze time. It leaves you vulnerable, and has a terrible tracking ability. It's so easily dodge that I managed to land it like 2 times before on human players in my arcade. The crouch version is excellent and reliable for catching landings. Try it and you will love it.

Back then in VOOM, the freeze after firing a CW was cancellable by a jump cancel. It goes in the same arch as in VOOT but is better because the freeze time is cancellable.
anikingVOOT

Post by anikingVOOT »

jiakhang wrote:Hmm unless CW+RT has been changed greatly since 5.2, it is fairly useless. I didn't dare to try it in 5.66 because I will eat punishment from the freeze time. It leaves you vulnerable, and has a terrible tracking ability. It's so easily dodge that I managed to land it like 2 times before on human players in my arcade. The crouch version is excellent and reliable for catching landings. Try it and you will love it.
I think you are shooting it with bad timing and you get counter attacks.
Or, why dont you shoot it from behinde of obstacle to guard enemy's attack?
And also, tracking ability is good enough for heavier than middle weight VRs. If you are shooting it against right weights like Specineff, Cypher and Fei-Yen, it is not enough trachkings to shooting them down.
Schooly D wrote:Let's make a deal. From now on in our matches, the following conditions will apply:

I can no longer use:
- The Gamechanger

You can no longer use:
- Raiden's Laser Cage
- Bal's mines
- Specineff
- Dashing
Do you think they are enough? Maybe I should not use Jamp Canceling too. :lol:
VOOT for life.
jiakhang

Post by jiakhang »

anikingVOOT wrote:
jiakhang wrote:Hmm unless CW+RT has been changed greatly since 5.2, it is fairly useless. I didn't dare to try it in 5.66 because I will eat punishment from the freeze time. It leaves you vulnerable, and has a terrible tracking ability. It's so easily dodge that I managed to land it like 2 times before on human players in my arcade. The crouch version is excellent and reliable for catching landings. Try it and you will love it.
I think you are shooting it with bad timing and you get counter attacks.
Or, why dont you shoot it from behinde of obstacle to guard enemy's attack?
And also, tracking ability is good enough for heavier than middle weight VRs. If you are shooting it against right weights like Specineff, Cypher and Fei-Yen, it is not enough trachkings to shooting them down.
Schooly D wrote:Let's make a deal. From now on in our matches, the following conditions will apply:

I can no longer use:
- The Gamechanger

You can no longer use:
- Raiden's Laser Cage
- Bal's mines
- Specineff
- Dashing
Do you think they are enough? Maybe I should not use Jamp Canceling too. :lol:
I think the biggest difference is that my opponents in the arcades can really dodge well and punish attack freezes really well too. I can make it hit most of the AI but almost none of my human opponents. And I dodge every single one of them as well. All you need to do is to time your jump and the big fat blue ball will miss safely because all it can do is go in an arch. My guess is that your opponents are trying to dash instead of timing a jump.

Morever, any VR with napalm can easily do a napalm dash can still hit you while neutralise your attack.

Cypher can't really take freeze time because risk of taking damage is too great. Given a choice, I rather do safe moves like sliding half cancel crouch+CW into an obstacle than to risk a CW+RT. It's a better way to use an obstacle and it works from 200m unlike CW+RT which needs 350m or more.
DeltastrikeX

Post by DeltastrikeX »

ok, I have another question.

I saw some guy use Bal-bado's CW but while the lasers were firing he was also able to shoot mines out of them as well.

Now I usually do the same thing to people only I shoot rings out. I tried everything. How do i make it so minds shoot out instead?
cleaning old internet history as malicious people are using it to track me down. Doubt anybody is reading this anyway. Was fun playing with you all!
MentholMoose
Virtual-On Positive
Gamertag: MentholMoose
PSN: MentholMoose_

Post by MentholMoose »

DeltastrikeX wrote:I saw some guy use Bal-bado's CW but while the lasers were firing he was also able to shoot mines out of them as well.

Now I usually do the same thing to people only I shoot rings out. I tried everything. How do i make it so minds shoot out instead?
After initiating the CW, press the "special" button to switch the ERLs from laser mode to mine mode. Then do the attack to shoot mines instead of ring lasers.
MentholMoose
jiakhang

Post by jiakhang »

DeltastrikeX wrote:ok, I have another question.

I saw some guy use Bal-bado's CW but while the lasers were firing he was also able to shoot mines out of them as well.

If you are talking about Bal's standing CW, mostly likely what he did was
1) stand CW (usually left half canceled to use right ERL only). Hand(s) ERL will fly to your head and start firing weak lasers.
2) swap firing mode (press special)
3) jump -> LWRT or dash LW (Mines will spawn when the hands ERL are)

Bal has many different ways to pump out lots of mines, ring lasers, weak and strong lasers.
For people who like to try how Bal could be really fun, you can try doing

1) jump RWLW to put out right ERL (double jump to adjust height)
2) CWRT, right half cancel to use left hand and leg ERL only (weak laser)
3) crouch CW to put laser cage at location of right ERL
4) swap firing mode (press special)
4) jump RWRT for mine flood

And watch them run hahaha
Last edited by jiakhang on 23 Jun 2009, 19:18, edited 1 time in total.
DeltastrikeX

Post by DeltastrikeX »

MentholMoose wrote:
DeltastrikeX wrote:I saw some guy use Bal-bado's CW but while the lasers were firing he was also able to shoot mines out of them as well.

After initiating the CW, press the "special" button to switch the ERLs from laser mode to mine mode. Then do the attack to shoot mines instead of ring lasers.
that puts out the more verticle mines. the minds my opponent put out during that were bals LW minds.

any ideas?

What are bals mines called:

LW = mines
CLW = oni mines (the jack looking bouncy mines)
LWRT = ????
cleaning old internet history as malicious people are using it to track me down. Doubt anybody is reading this anyway. Was fun playing with you all!
jiakhang

Post by jiakhang »

DeltastrikeX wrote:
MentholMoose wrote:

that puts out the more verticle mines. the minds my opponent put out during that were bals LW minds.

any ideas?

What are bals mines called:

LW = mines
LWRT = ????
LW = normal floating mines
LW + RT = big floating mine
Crouch + LW = bouncing mines

Oni mines is a type of knock down mines which was very deadly in 5.2, and nerfed after that.
Elternteil

Post by Elternteil »

I have a question:

I heard there's an update about lobby chat and optional graphics enhancement.
However, I couldn't find those options for some reason (I thought the lighting option is in the option menu).

Also, I couldn't figure out how to make the Xbox Live Party lobby work - am I supposed to see a list of parties with people playing Virtual On? Or is it limited to friends? I was expecting a lobby system similar to Soul Calibur 4 where I would see a list of groups and join them as i wish.
Be Attitude for Gains
Schooly D
Virtual-On Positive

Post by Schooly D »

Elternteil wrote:I have a question:

I heard there's an update about lobby chat and optional graphics enhancement.
However, I couldn't find those options for some reason (I thought the lighting option is in the option menu).

Also, I couldn't figure out how to make the Xbox Live Party lobby work - am I supposed to see a list of parties with people playing Virtual On? Or is it limited to friends? I was expecting a lobby system similar to Soul Calibur 4 where I would see a list of groups and join them as i wish.
The update which will fix the lighting and add a spectator mode hasn't come yet. Unfortunately we don't know when it's coming, either.

The Xbox Live Party Lobby works by displaying all the people in your Xbox Live Party, which you create/join independently of VOOT. It keeps you in a lobby with the other members of your party and lets you challenge them with the press of a button.
anikingVOOT

Post by anikingVOOT »

DeltastrikeX wrote:What are bals mines called:

LW = mines
LWRT = ????
LW = mines
CLW = UNI mines (the jack looking bouncy mines)
UNI means "sea urchin" in Japanese. Maybe you just misunderstood when we talked online last time.
LWRT = ????
You mean... LW with Beam mode and RTLW? or LW with Mine mode and RTLW?

BTW, your favorite CW bit attack with Spread Rings (Jump RTRW) is called HAME RING in Japan.
HAME means like, in VS type game, you have no way to escape from that.
So, HAME RING means very difficult to dodge.

And Oni mines are my favorite attack.
Oni means devilish. Because of Ver.5.2s Oni mine.
It was very difficult to dodge, the damage is pretty good and it knocks enemy down.
So the mine was devilish.
Oni mines are little difficult to shoot and not very strong like Ver.5.2 but I still love it.

How To:
1) Set your Left Arm ERL (LTLW)
2) CW bit attack, need to half canceling to make ONLY RIGHT ARM ERL will fly.
3) Push Special button to switch modes (L-ARM M to B, R-ARM B to M)
4) Jump and Air dush to left or right and shoot LW (Air side dush LW)

*) To shoot another Oni mines, dont forget to push special button to set L-ARM ERL back to Mine mode.

You will see mines coming out from Right ARM ERL.
The mines have strange move and no explosion effects like other ordinaly mine.
Try and If you dont get it, ask me online. see ya later.
VOOT for life.
DeltastrikeX

Post by DeltastrikeX »

Thanks everybody =D

@aniking. I still have trouble with the half canceling thing. I need to practice it more.
Elternteil

Post by Elternteil »

I just got owned by a couple of people yesterday, to the point that I'm reminded of my pathetic Virtua Fighter 5 online track record T_T

First, I fought this guy with a Bal-Bados. I was playing as Raiden. He keeps filling the arena with all sorts of crap from those spiky thingies, that ufo catcher thingy, and those fin funnels from Gundam - to the point that I went "HOW THE HELL AM I SUPPOSED TO MOVE AROUND AND TOUCH THIS GUY!?" Of course that meant he's playing it right, which also means I'm playing it wrong.

Secondly, I played with a couple of Temjins. They render my Dash Vectoring ineffective by shooting first before dashing to the side then doing a Dash Attack (I thought I was supposed to dash forward when people do a side dash attack, but I guess pros know that). They also jump a lot after the dash which makes my shots mostly miss. And it also irritates me that going close range almost always gets me killed because Raiden seems to punch slower than everybody else, not to mention requiring a closer range to execute the close range attack. And whenever I get lucky, they surfboard me in the face XD

Any tips?

Oh and yeah, how do you do that close range sidestepping around the opponent? A lot of people seem to be doing it and the only solution I came up for it so far is to stand still for a split second (to fake), dash back, then do a mid attack in their face while in the slashing animation. I'd like to do it myself though, although it might not be as effective with Raiden's close range attack being so slow.

Plus, how do you effectively use dash curving?
Be Attitude for Gains
fliptopbox

Post by fliptopbox »

Elternteil wrote:First, I fought this guy with a Bal-Bados. I was playing as Raiden. Secondly, I played with a couple of Temjins. They render my Dash Vectoring ineffective by shooting first before dashing to the side then doing a Dash Attack (I thought I was supposed to dash forward when people do a side dash attack, but I guess pros know that).
Forward-dashing against side-dashing is, on balance, a good angle of attack. But it is only one part of the equation; another part is timing, and the third is distance.

If you're real far away and they are dashing, you're better off firing from a standing position. Time your attack to land near when you think their dash will end. You'll have time to side-dash to dodge their attack.

If you're closer, like 250 M or so, then the forward dash (and the forward diagonals) will be great tools. Play with the timing of the forward-dashing crouching right-weapon attack, and use it close to the end of their dash. That attack has tremendous homing.

Forward-dashing CrRW fired late into the dash, especially near the end of your opponent's dash, causes you to end your dash pointed almost directly at them. It also sets you up for a zero-frame laser shot, which will make you feel like a rock star when you pull it off.

In short, observe the way your opponent moves, and what attacks they commit to. Be prepared with an appropriate response. Use crouching dash attacks to prevent getting knocked down, and to get positioned well for a follow-up laser.
ThomasMak0524

Post by ThomasMak0524 »

Does using twin stick type control have advantages over standard type control?
ThomasMak0524

Post by ThomasMak0524 »

Also, when is the new patch coming?