Post your questions here

Discuss the Virtual-On series.
Flyer

Re: Post your questions here

Post by Flyer »

No curve dashing in VO:OM

Dordray's Drill and CD rush can be blocked...
Henshin1

Post by Henshin1 »

oooh just out of curiousity.
Is it possible to save a replay of an online player match without getting disconnected from that opponent? Like sometimes I come across a great opponent and I want to save our matches as replays, but if I save a replay, when I get back to the menu with the option to play again, It instantly says "Disconnected from opponent".
Zaarock
Virtual-On Positive
Gamertag: Zaarock
PSN: xaerock

Post by Zaarock »

Erm, yes. The players are just leaving your games :P I'm pretty sure it has always said the player was disconnected for me if he happened to leave while I was saving the replay.

Also, could someone check for me what happens if you try to save/view a game that is started by the "play again" command in player matches. For me, when saving it saves a new file of the first match and if trying to view last match in the observer menu it is grayed out. Pretty bad bug there.

My replay list is getting pretty huge now, I wonder why they put the damn save new file function at the end of the list :|
Last edited by Zaarock on 04 May 2009, 21:27, edited 1 time in total.
VOOT 2019 guide | VO4 Guide | 2009-generation
MentholMoose
Virtual-On Positive
Gamertag: MentholMoose
PSN: MentholMoose_

Post by MentholMoose »

Zaarock wrote:My replay list is getting pretty huge now, I wonder why they put the damn save new file function at the end of the list :|
Same here. :lol:
MentholMoose
neoKEN
Virtual-On Positive
Gamertag: neoKEN360

Post by neoKEN »

Zaarock wrote: My replay list is getting pretty huge now, I wonder why they put the damn save new file function at the end of the list :|
Not to mention no fast scrolling. I couldnt find it anyways.
VR: Bal-bados, Angelan, ALL.
See you on IRC! Server: EFNET Channel: #VIRTUALON
Virtual-On Videos from Japan, NA, & EU http://www.youtube.com/xneoken
Henshin1

Post by Henshin1 »

Just wondering...
How does someone play 'defensively'?

I pretty much only know how to use an Angelan well, but it seems like even a small mistake vsing a heavy VR can cause my armour to drop by at least 50%. I can manage to avoid many attacks but sooner or later I frequently manage to get caught in say dordrays stun attack and flame thrower or raidens CW. I literally wave goodbye to my armour bar and rarely can deal enough damage to get my lead back. Any tips on defensive play would be appreciated :D
Long Shadow

Post by Long Shadow »

Henshin1 wrote:Just wondering...
I also need to learn to play defensively better. Something I could never really master, especially in the heat of battle. I really need to find a good in depth guide for VOOT. So many little things I'm still not that good at.
Gasaraki

Post by Gasaraki »

Evasion and using high priority attacks that, while not powerful, generally eliminate enemy ordinance. Like for example, Aph-B's LTRW does almost no(none at all?) damage but tends to cut through ALOT of other poeples attacks. That would be a defensive attack in some cases.
neoKEN
Virtual-On Positive
Gamertag: neoKEN360

Post by neoKEN »

MentholMoose wrote:
Zaarock wrote:My replay list is getting pretty huge now, I wonder why they put the damn save new file function at the end of the list :|
Same here. :lol:
I found it. JUST PRESS Y instead of scrolling down. It even says its. lol
VR: Bal-bados, Angelan, ALL.
See you on IRC! Server: EFNET Channel: #VIRTUALON
Virtual-On Videos from Japan, NA, & EU http://www.youtube.com/xneoken
Henshin1

Post by Henshin1 »

Gasaraki wrote:
Evasion and using high priority attacks that, while not powerful, generally eliminate enemy ordinance. Like for example, Aph-B's LTRW does almost no(none at all?) damage but tends to cut through ALOT of other poeples attacks. That would be a defensive attack in some cases.
Ah so moves that cancel attacks are preferred during defensive play? I suppose angelans Ice Shield will be handy for that. But the problem there is it can't be used whilst dashing as its a CWLT move. I think when someone is trying play offensively, they often dash alot around you which is hard to keep away from and avoid their shots.
Davo87
Virtual-On Positive

Post by Davo87 »

Angelan's RW cancels many things: Temjin's RW, Fei's RW, Cyph RW, Bal's RW.
Her cLTLW cancels other Angelan's standing LTCW.

Against V-hurricane, u just gotta keep an eye on it and LTCW on reaction or just dash. If u see Dordray jumping, be careful of his Ring of Death CW. Be cautious of LTCW as Dordray has many things to break ur defense by surprise. He can steer around the mirror with his LW or CW rushes. He can spray fire over ur mirror and obstacles. Also notice where he plants the drill in attempt to ambush your back. Against a good Dordray, keep moving is key and Dragon spam to keep him moving bcos his dashing sucks (tho he still have rushes).

Against Raiden, u have to do different things to counter what he does. If he fires ground lasers, jump, tho dont do that too often when he is in good position to setup laser cages. If he cancels the laser and does something else, be prepared to cLTCW when u land. If he throws in laser cages, try to summon a dragon before he starts anything. Key for Angelan is to play defensively while letting the dragons to force an opening of the opponent. Tho in this case Raiden's CW is a very direct form of attack, so he can retaliate instantly from anywhere. Basically Angelan is much better at offense at long range than Raiden, so keep an eye on what is in front of you and dont dash unnecessarily. Let Raiden to do the dashing in and he will eat ice **** in the process. Even if u get caught in laser cage, if he is too far away, your V-armour will deflect even his bazookas. Her v-armour is uber good.
Davo87
Virtual-On Positive

Post by Davo87 »

Regarding specineff's weapon disabler "curse", has it been massively nerfed in 5.66? Cos it seems like curse duration is only like 2-3 secs now.Or does hitting on downed opponent reduces the duration?

Edit: Nvm, it seems like curse does not work against downed opponents. Its too strong as an anti-weapon lol.
ranmafan

Post by ranmafan »

Davo87 wrote: Against Raiden, u have to do different things to counter what he does. If he fires ground lasers, jump, tho dont do that too often when he is in good position to setup laser cages. If he cancels the laser and does something else, be prepared to cLTCW when u land. If he throws in laser cages, try to summon a dragon before he starts anything. Key for Angelan is to play defensively while letting the dragons to force an opening of the opponent. Tho in this case Raiden's CW is a very direct form of attack, so he can retaliate instantly from anywhere. Basically Angelan is much better at offense at long range than Raiden, so keep an eye on what is in front of you and dont dash unnecessarily. Let Raiden to do the dashing in and he will eat ice **** in the process. Even if u get caught in laser cage, if he is too far away, your V-armour will deflect even his bazookas. Her v-armour is uber good.
Actually, any Raiden worth his salt is going to use a RT+RW on a stunned Angelan if he can help it. It will almost never deflect (I've never seen it deflect in 10 years of playing this game) and takes of 50% of Angelan's life. Failing that they'll use this opportunity to position themselves closer to the Angelan so they can hit harder.

However, what you said is absolutely correct. An Angelan can simply harass and bombard an enemy (esp. the slower moving Raiden) until they make a mistake, after which they end up on the receiving end of a RT+LW or LT+RW and/or LT+LW.

I've learned one thing as a Raiden having fought any number of Angelans and Cyphers though: Closing the distance to under 200 is the key to winning. Angelan's Ice Pillars only activate at 150 (the jumping version, which most Angelans do), so getting in close and forcing them to expose themselves as they try to escape is the key for a Raiden win.

I've yet to discover an effective countermeasure against an Angelan who spams Snowflakes and Ice pillars together without taking damage though.
Zaarock
Virtual-On Positive
Gamertag: Zaarock
PSN: xaerock

Post by Zaarock »

For Cypher, I've found that the SLC attack is actually pretty effective against angelan players, if you can fly well... if you get them by suprise you'll be moving way faster towards them due to the attack while theyre setting up defencive attacks like dragons.
VOOT 2019 guide | VO4 Guide | 2009-generation
Davo87
Virtual-On Positive

Post by Davo87 »

How do ppl react against Temjin's Surfing Ram, whether he is or not in view?

a) Duck under with crouch attacks/slide attacks of low profile and long duration - Depending on wat VR it needs testing.
b) Sidedash - providing u are a fast VR and ur sidedash is perpendicular to its direction.
c) Guard - Very hard timing, and need a good CC range.
d) dash near the edge or obstacle. - need luck.

Tho a thing that puzzles me when using Temjin myself is that the tracking seems random. Sometimes it will track constantly until it hits or stops. Most of the time if it misses it will pass thru them in a straight line.
MentholMoose
Virtual-On Positive

Post by MentholMoose »

Davo87 wrote:How do ppl react against Temjin's Surfing Ram, when they know they cannot double jump in time?

a) Duck under with crouch attacks - not properly tested. Any results?
b) Sidedash - providing u are a fast VR and ur sidedash is perpendicular to its direction.
c) Guard - Very hard timing, and need a good CC range.
d) dash near the edge or obstacle. - need luck.

Tho a thing that puzzles me when using Temjin myself is that the tracking seems random. Sometimes it will track constantly until it hits or stops. Most of the time if it misses it will pass thru them in a straight line.
If I can't guard, or get a knockdown hit, I will do some sort of dashing crouch attack (bonus points for a direct hit ICBM :lol: ).
MentholMoose
Henshin1

Post by Henshin1 »

Heyo everyone.
I just got afew more questions about some gameplay elements.

I was wondering when you get knocked down, is there a way to get up quicker? Being an Angelan pilot I get knocked down alot. And it seems i'm always on the floor for a long time giving oppurtunity for someone to dash up to me and stab me on the ground. But when I knock someone else down it seems i only have enough time to shoot a quick ice pillar from where ever i am and hope it does some damage before they get up.

And my other question is, How do you perform a CC attack to hit someone who's been knocked over? If ever i'm next to a VR thats been knocked down and i try a CC attack, my Angelan just seems to glide next to the opponent and swing her rod through the air and not even hitting the downed opponent. I tried practicing it in practice mode, but whenever i knock the VR down it gets up again before i can even try a CC attack.

Thanks for any feedback on this. (i'm still a little noobish) :oops:
Gasaraki

Post by Gasaraki »

The RW button is what does the special ground attack. It's less useful for some people though because some of them have long startup times. For example the Aph series' ground attacks take a long time to come out so generally they don't bother cause missing would be dangerous.

In Angerlan's case I normally see people lay down the ice pillars on the floor(Not the one that moves toward the enemy, but the ones frozen right on the ground. I have no idea what the command is for this attack) then dash away or simply stay away altogether.
Henshin1

Post by Henshin1 »

oh, that's a good idea. I should have thought of that sooner. I'll try that in practice mode when I get home from work.
Thanks Gasaraki.

Do you know if there's a way to stand up sooner if you've been knocked down? or is it a fixed time for everyone?
MentholMoose
Virtual-On Positive

Post by MentholMoose »

Henshin1 wrote:I was wondering when you get knocked down, is there a way to get up quicker?
You can rotate one of the sticks clockwise (probably also counter-clockwise) rapidly to decrease the knock-down time slightly. I'm not sure how this translates to the control pad. This will cause the screen to "wobble" slightly, which you can actually see in replays. Alternatively, you can input jump at the right time and you will jump out of the knock-down even sooner than you would with the stick rotation method. Note that with the jump method you will not have any temporary invulnerability, so it's best only in case of an emergency (e.g. you're very low on health, or the clock is running out).
Henshin1 wrote:And my other question is, How do you perform a CC attack to hit someone who's been knocked over?
Each VR has a single dedicated CC attack for hitting grounded opponents. You have to be in range for this weapon, and wait for the gauge to turn from yellow (indicating a normal CC attack) to green (indicating the ground attack). This does the greatest damage against a grounded opponent, but your timing has to be very good since you cannot cancel it once started, so if you miss you will be totally vulnerable (very bad in CC range).

There are other ways to hit a grounded opponent in CC range. Various standard CC attacks will actually hit a grounded opponent (e.g. Apharmd B CW, Grys-Vok RTRW, etc.), and crouching CC attacks will hit a grounded opponent. These two are good since they still do good damage and can be cancelled before or after the hit (so they are less dangerous than the special ground CC hit). My standard CC ground hit with Grys-Vok is a RTRW, guard-cancelled at the moment the hit registers, then immediately q-step diagonally backwards.

Another technique is to use a shinkuu attack. For this you do a regular CC attack that wouldn't normally hit a grounded opponent, but it will actually hit if you cancel it with a quick-step at the correct time (cancel it at approximately the time a hit would register against a standing opponent). However, this is mostly just a way to show off in VER.5.66 since the damage was greatly reduced from previous versions, and the timing is hard online. You will likely see Specineff players doing this occasionally since it's shinkuu ground hit is relatively easy and safe.
MentholMoose