advanced techniques

Discuss the Virtual-On series.
Davo87
Virtual-On Positive

Re: advanced techniques

Post by Davo87 »

This may be offtopic, tho whenever u see someone deliberately eating Specineffs LWRT shot, its rather unsettling that they are that confident to earn a win at the end. :)
CRAZYDAZED
Gamertag: Soak a toe

Post by CRAZYDAZED »

I found a nice replay from whhiro on the leaderboards that shows off Specineff's Super Jump Cancel.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0YxfibMmimg&fmt=22

The explanation is:
"What happens is Specineff shoots RTRW or RTLW and cancels their freeze time (recovery frames) with BTCW+jump. It looks like Specineff's merely jump cancelling his freeze time, but really what happened is RTRW, then BTCW, then Jump, then Cancel Jump even before BTCW's lasers goes off. The timing is tight for this technique."

This technique is good to learn if you plan to play as Specineff! It took me a while to learn on this blasted 360 pad, it is possible!
graefocs

Post by graefocs »

I'm not sure I can tell which part is the super jump canceling. As far as I can tell, he only uses BTCW lasers once in both rounds at 0:38. Looks like it came out there. Are you talking about all the times when he does a RTRW followed immediately by the CW purple slice? I only got that to come out once when I was trying the movements that you described.
GT: GraeFocs
CRAZYDAZED

Post by CRAZYDAZED »

No, what happens is simply making RTRW's and RTLW's freeze time look like it has jump cancel. RTLW/RTRW's freeze time cannot be jump cancelled by themselves.

However, BTCW is that green laser move thing which disables opponent's center weapon for 15 or so seconds. Furthermore, the starting frames of BTCW (as in, before the lasers come out from his shoulders or chest or whatever) can be jump cancelled. So you could be doing BTCW then immediately jump afterwards, you can see the center weapon bar lights up, but no gauge is used up and Specineff merely jumps like any normal Virtuaroids are capable of.

Now, going back to RTLW/RTRW, their freeze time CAN be cancelled by BTCW. Putting two and two together, Specineff executes RTLW/RTRW attack, then instead of waiting for freeze time to finish, press BTCW then immediately perform a jump. Tah dah, Super Jump Cancel!

I hope that makes sense. The player in the video I linked used it all the time, so I thought it was an excellent replay to showcase the SJC. It even has an error, too. Specineff performs big ball then green lasers -- he didn't jump fast enough to cancel BTCW's starting frames.

Edit: Him performing big purple wave right after RTLW or RTRW is just him doing CW after doing SJC.
graefocs

Post by graefocs »

ok so i managed to get a couple of different things out....

1) RTRW fired, immediately cancelled into a purple wave from left side
2) RTRW fired, immediately cancelled into a purple wave from right side
3) RTRW fired, immediately cancelled into a double beam BTCW
4) RTRW fired, immediately cancelled into jump with me in the air (although I did a jump BTCW)

Is #4 what you are calling the SJC? That you just cancelled with a jump? I seem to get that all the time and thought it was a mistake. I find #4 easier to do than 1, 2, or 3.
MentholMoose
Virtual-On Positive
Gamertag: MentholMoose
PSN: MentholMoose_

Post by MentholMoose »

The Super Jump info is detailed earlier in this thread:
http://www.oratan.com/forum/viewtopic.p ... 1764#p1764
somepunk wrote:Someone I've wanted to hear more on is Specineff. Scott got to teaching us a technique known as the super cancel, I have the guide he gave me here:

"As for the Specineff Super-Cancel, try the following:

RT+CrRW (poison shotgun) -> BT+CW[L]+Jump.

That is a crouching right-turbo center-weapon canceled into a Both-turbos
center-weapon selective-fired to the left and simultaneously jumping at the
exact moment you press that command.

That BT+CW[L]+J will cancel any move Specineff can do. Once you're good at it,
you can use it to machine-gun the RT+CrRW."

Specy players, stand up!
MentholMoose
Purple-Tamjin

Post by Purple-Tamjin »

There's like a billion different techniques that I don't think I'll ever fully grasp. @_@ It's all very complicated. Though Twin Sticks might help.
Gamering Taga: KyuAzier
graefocs

Post by graefocs »

[quote="MentholMoose"]The Super Jump info is detailed earlier in this thread:
http://www.oratan.com/forum/viewtopic.p ... 1764#p1764

ahh yes i remember reading this thread. thanks for the link. i'll try the half cancel when i log on tonight. not much use to me the moment, but kinda fun learning this stuff.
ThomasMak0524

Post by ThomasMak0524 »

I've met WHHIRO a couple times on players match. He is very good using Raiden and Specineff. The luckiest time is that I beat him one round. I Just can't beat this guy 2 rounds for the win.
graefocs

Post by graefocs »

Does anyone know how to throw 2 bombs right after each other with temjin? I've done it a couple of times by accident and not sure how I did it.

Thanks
anikingVOOT
Gamertag: anikingVOOT

Post by anikingVOOT »

graefocs wrote:Does anyone know how to throw 2 bombs right after each other with temjin? I've done it a couple of times by accident and not sure how I did it.

Thanks
LTLW x2
I will beat ya at all cost!! I love to win and hate to lose :b
VOOT for life.
Testament/Seven7
Virtual-On Positive

Post by Testament/Seven7 »

anikingVOOT wrote:
graefocs wrote:Does anyone know how to throw 2 bombs right after each other with temjin? I've done it a couple of times by accident and not sure how I did it.

Thanks
LTLW x2
This: to elaborate...

LT added to a weapon makes the weapon geared for stripping V-armor, though doesn't do much damage to the VR, sometimes none at all. In exchange, not as much weapon energy is used. As several people here can testify *snicker* LTLW is one of my favorite button combos.
Marz First Lt. Testament, Temjin pilot

Xbox live gamertag: Lt Testament
CRAZYDAZED

Post by CRAZYDAZED »

I see Dordray players canceling the middle of standing CW sonic rings attack animation. I couldn't figure it out by myself. I thought dashing would cancel mid-animation. However, in my experience, it's apparently not the case?

I'm not sure which version of CW, though.
anikingVOOT

Post by anikingVOOT »

CRAZYDAZED wrote:I see Dordray players canceling the middle of standing CW sonic rings attack animation. I couldn't figure it out by myself. I thought dashing would cancel mid-animation. However, in my experience, it's apparently not the case?

I'm not sure which version of CW, though.
crouch(not sliding) CW can be canceled by dashing anytime.
VOOT for life.
CRAZYDAZED

Post by CRAZYDAZED »

I see Ajim doing Mobility Upgrade and attack in a single forward air dash, how is this possible? He does it right in the beginning in this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3cVe1Ip0INw

I also observed it is not possible to do the same technique for Armament Upgrade, correct?
anikingVOOT

Post by anikingVOOT »

CRAZYDAZED wrote:I see Ajim doing Mobility Upgrade and attack in a single forward air dash, how is this possible? He does it right in the beginning in this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3cVe1Ip0INw

I also observed it is not possible to do the same technique for Armament Upgrade, correct?
Watch carefully the video. He jumped and dashed to diagonally forward.
Forward Air Dashing CW is just a Mobility Upgrade
Diagonally Forward Air Dashing CW is Attack and Mobility Upgrade

And you cannot attack with Armament Upgrade.
VOOT for life.
Kyper
Gamertag: Kyper Trast

Post by Kyper »

It's a little minor, but it looks like you can dash after executing Aph B's cLTCW homing tornado by inputting the dash and direction as if you were doing a quick step. Normally, you wouldn't be able to dash until after a small delay but you can still walk around. This helps me get out homing tornadoes while being able to evade attacks that would normally hit me at running speed.
Sixfortyfive
Virtual-On Positive

Post by Sixfortyfive »

The inconsistencies in Watari Dash angles were bothering me (sometimes you can do a 135-degree turn, sometimes you can't), so I decided to do a little testing.

Tested with Temjin. I assume it's the same for everyone.
MentholMoose
Virtual-On Positive
Gamertag: MentholMoose
PSN: MentholMoose_

Post by MentholMoose »

Nice diagram, and interesting information. I wonder what the reasoning is behind this, any thoughts?
MentholMoose
feixaq

Post by feixaq »

The only thing I can think of is that the designers want to promote aggressive (rather than defensive) play... if you look at all the available angles, only if you start off by dashing sideways, can you then go backwards (or angled backwards). Otherwise, your watari angles are limited to sideways/forwards.